***** MLS 2020 *****

20,018 Views | 422 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by heddleston
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soccer has returned to America(and major urban Canada)! 4/5 MLS teams advanced in CONCACAF CL this week! Miami has a team! With pink birds on the crest! That's neat! Nashville has a team apparently!

This thread can serve as the catch all for all non-FC Dallas/Dynamo mls fun. Seattle's new Brazilian DM foul the crap out of someone and then score? Whine about it here! Wil Trapp hits a banger? Post that puppy! Wanna laugh at Caleb Porter as he complains about anything and everything besides his poor tactics after a 1-0 loss? Let's laugh here together! MLS is 25 years old! Let's celebrate! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
heddleston
AG
https://twitter.com/mlsist/status/1233054741590089733?prefetchtimestamp=1582915830647
heddleston
AG
So who do you have this year?

Shield: NYCFC
CUP: LAFC
USOC: Philly
Ferg
Season underway!

Colorado at DC United on ESPN+
MB19
AG
Great crowd for Nashville's MLS debut tonight.
Out in Left Field
AG
Atlanta up early with a nice team goal
Pahdz
Very excited for Minnesota this year, we've made some good additions, kept our backline but unfortunately lost our keeper.
fig96
AG
Fun match in Nashville, no idea how Willis wasn't sent off at the end though.
heddleston
AG
Dre_00
That is magnificent
heddleston
AG
Apparently he is the guitar player from Jars of Clay
jeffk
AG
Yep.

dmart90
AG

Vela's goal was pretty sweet...
heddleston
AG
Hitting a chip like that from that angle at that speed is just unreal. I cant understand how he biologically and mechanically and physically did that.
wangus12
AG
Chips are his specialty. I've never seen a player better a chipping the ball than Vela. He was hitting audacious chips when he was a young player at Arsenal back in the day
Ferg

Super chip
heddleston
AG
Im starting to sound like a Nashville shill (im a Seattle shill, get it straight!), but this is a really cool and very Nashville thing to do:

i like their style. If they weren't in the Western Conf i'd root for them
Bubba smollett
heddleston said:

Im starting to sound like a Nashville shill (im a Seattle shill, get it straight!), but this is a really cool and very Nashville thing to do:

i like their style. If they weren't in the Western Conf i'd root for them
Their team song is really cringe worthy
PatAg
AG
no team songs are good
Bubba smollett
PatAg said:

no team songs are good
You'll Never Walk alone Liverpool?
heddleston
AG
YNWA is a dadgum showtune. It's all about owning your dumb team song and having fun with it. That plus their history is what makes YNWA so awesome. Same goes for yells at Kyle.
Bubba smollett
heddleston said:

YNWA is a dadgum showtune. It's all about owning your dumb team song and having fun with it. That plus their history is what makes YNWA so awesome. Same goes for yells at Kyle.
Which Nashville has none of have you heard the song? Also majority of yells and songs at Kyle are dorky.
heddleston
AG
That's what I'm saying. At surface level YNWA and Kyle field and pretty much all everything in sports is stupid and dorky. But then you shrug your shoulders and have a crap load of fun with it singing showtimes or hollering WHISTLEEEEEEEEEEEEE and rah rah rah team, or whatever, so who cares and enjoy.
PatAg
AG
Pahdz
I think some of it was really poor keeping from Vega of SJ, but the Loons dump in five more goals last night to go 2-0 on the road to open the season.

Going to go home opener vs NYRB next Sunday.
Out in Left Field
AG
A game shouldn't start 25 minutes after the posted time
Out in Left Field
AG
This game is nuts.

40yd free kick goal
Out in Left Field
AG
2nd time LA have equalized within a couple minutes of going down
Pahdz
That's some Roberto Carlos level stuff right there
heddleston
AG
League has been suspended for 30 days.
swc93
AG
Dallas Cup cancelled; big hit for a lot of youth players.

My son is going to Gothic Cup this summer; hope we are in the clear by then.
fig96
AG
Out in Left Field said:

This game is nuts.

40yd free kick goal

Lemme just say, if you haven't watched this game yet holy crap go watch this game. One of the best MLS games I've seen in at least a couple seasons.
littlebitofhifi
AG
That crazy LAFC vs Philly match is re-airing on FS1 right now if anyone needs a sports fix.
PatAg
AG
Interesting proposal leaked for MLS
https://theathletic.com/1828495/2020/05/21/

All 26 teams in Orlando split into 4 groups. Each team plays each other once (5 games), top 2 teams advance into 8 team knockout. Think World Cup style, group games feed into elimination.

Where it gets odd is, apparently the intention is for the group stage games to count toward MLS league standings when the regular season is able to resume later this year.

Players still have to agree, and Don Garber is pissed about this leak.Apparently the MLS teams woudl be in quarantine without their familes, but its not even known if the hotel staff would also be in quarantine. Also negotiation a pay cut for the season.
Dre_00
The idea that they could continue with a regular season after this tournament seems impossible to know. Given that structure, it would take them at least 4-5 weeks to complete the whole tourney. Anyone here feel confident that cross country travel in mid-August will be any less of a risk than it is now? I'm assuming by regular season they mean games held at team's stadiums but without crowds. What's even the point of scheduling that? Might as well just keep everyone in Orlando and play your regular season there if you're going to go down this path. So far, the Bundesliga is proving that home field advantage is pretty much non-existent without fans so there's no tangible reason to insist upon games in home venues if you have a facility that can execute all the games. And if the feeling is that by mid August crowds can come to games in limited numbers (maybe 1/4 capacity or something), then that feels even more like a complete unknown to plan around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.