**** El Tri World Cup 2018 ****

10,047 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Juan Solo
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know exactly what he said before that or what the backlash was. But in a vacuum, that is a great comment he made.
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I don't know exactly what he said before that or what the backlash was. But in a vacuum, that is a great comment he made.

He basically called Herc Gomez a xenophobe for not supporting El Tri over the United States. Unfortunately for LD, his latest statement doesn't exist in a vacuum.
Pahdz
Brian Earl Spilner said:

what jeffk said, also he tried to white (brown?) guilt Carlos Bocanegra for not agreeing with him
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It wasn't great in a vacuum and really isn't great in the real world.

who?mikejones
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

"To begin, my heart bleeds red, white and blue and no one should ever question my allegiance to and support of US Soccer and its national teams," Donovan wrote. "That being said, having grown up east of Los Angeles playing with Mexican teammates whose passion for futbol inspired me at a very young age, as well as recently with Club Leon in Liga MX, I always have had a strong connection and respect for our neighbor.

"Since the USMNT sadly is not participating in the 2018 World Cup, I am supportive of our CONCACAF rivals and would like to see them do well. If others disagree that is their prerogative; but similar to how the US Soccer Federation, the Canadian Soccer Association and the Federacion Mexicana de Futbol joined together in the United Bid to bring the 2026 World Cup to North America, I believe in supporting each other and building bridges, not barriers."
Good guy Donovan. USA needs more fans like him.

You can have him
JJxvi
AG
Every American soccer fan should at least be paying attention to Mexico's games since thats a future US manager in the technical area.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jeffk said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

He basically called Herc Gomez a xenophobe for not supporting El Tri over the United States. Unfortunately for LD, his latest statement doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Where did LD say he supported Mexico over USA?
jeffk
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

jeffk said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sorry, I could have phrased that better. Donovan criticized Gomez for Gomez saying he wouldn't root for El Tri because they were the USMNT's rival. Then he proceeded to call into question Gomez's love for his family and heritage in Mexico because the rivalry took the primary position in his decision.
HTownAg98
byfLuger41
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gotcha.

Probably not the best response. But I assume people were criticizing him first and he got defensive.

Anyone who wants to root for Mexico while the USMNT is out should not be criticized for it, similarly anyone who is a Mexico supporter first and foremost should not be criticized for supporting USA as a secondary team. (This happens on the Mexican side, too.)

By the same token, anyone who DOESN'T root for one of the teams shoudn't be criticized either. This is fairly common in the valley, and I've been guilty of it as well. When Mexican-Americans root for USMNT over Mexico, people get really defensive and question them about betraying their heritage, etc.

It's dumb in both cases, which I realize now that I'm an actual adult. It's sports.
Arthur Stilwell
jeffk said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

jeffk said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sorry, I could have phrased that better. Donovan criticized Gomez for Gomez saying he wouldn't root for El Tri because they were the USMNT's rival. Then he proceeded to call into question Gomez's love for his family and heritage in Mexico because the rivalry took the primary position in his decision.
Donovan called out Bocanegra and Gomez came to his defense.
tysker
AG
If Mexico break through Game 5, that guy is never gonna allowed at a Mexican national team game again
jeffk
AG
You're right. I am le tired.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Juan Solo
AG
Osorio reported to Jorge Ramos from ESPN Deportes that the team was recovering from the flu. So we might not have seen Mexico at top form yet!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mexico!
Mexico!
Juan Solo
AG
Korea va probar el Chile nacional! Korea va probar el Chile nacional!
byfLuger41
AG
God I hate Fox announcers.
2017 World Series Champions - Houston Astros
La Bamba
AG
Golazo Korea!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OE OE OE OE
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not gonna lie, makes me nervous we can still not make it with a 0-1 loss on Wednesday.
Juan Solo
AG
Imaginemonos cosas chingonas carajo!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://deadline.com/2018/06/germany-world-cup-win-ratings-record-mexico-sweden-espn-fox-1202416425/

Edit: Didn't mean to hit reply.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mexico fans - how you feeling about tomorrow's game?
jelfag06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Juan Solo
AG
http://www.aztecadeportes.com/notas/rusia/2018-06-26-12-55/prohiben-a-suecos-usar-playeras-del-cruz-azul/

They caught onto our secret weapon
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
VAAAAMOS MEXICO!!
gig them
AG
Y'all got a South Korean gift. Just like ours in 2002.

Those guys are all right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
aznaggiegirl07
AG
DE NADA, MEXICO!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
OregonAggie
AG
Y'all sure backed into the next round!

Buenas suerte cabrones!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.