* Liverpool 2018-2019 Thread *

89,290 Views | 1475 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OregonAggie
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sturridge and Moreno are for sure leaving. No way they part with Gomez. Young and versatile along the back line and I'm sure he'll grab his starting role again next year. Matip has an excellent run since taking over for him so he definitely stays, which is why I think Lovren may be gone if he wants to play more.

We know for sure that Salah and Mane will have overtures from RM and Barcelona. Hopefully they won't go but the Coutinho sale really changed my perception of selling players. If you cash in it can dramatically change your roster if you use the money for more players.
AG@RICE
AG
I feel like Salah might leave, but not Mane. Mane seems to be very happy and he just got his best friend to join him at Liverpool (Keita). I actually think Mane is more valuable than Salah as well. He is more selfless in my opinion.

No chance they let Gomez leave. If he can return to his early season form, Liverpool are simply unbeatable. It allows the team to set an extremely aggressive high-line press because he is fast enough to track down almost any player in the world. I really didn't think too much of him after last year, but his early season performances were incredible.
gig them
AG
I think there's a larger question at play, here... do you NEED to leave Liverpool to achieve your club ambitions? When Suarez, RAS, and Couthinho bailed, I totally understood. The club hadn't arrived yet, and some of those moves were cultural to boot.

But if you're chasing domestic and european glory in 2019, doesn't it feel like Liverpool is as good a place to be as any?
jeffk
AG
We'll be wearing this year's red unis for the CL final.
eiggA2002
AG
Has anyone even looked at prices for the Final? I thought it being in Madrid over freaking Ukraine would make it plausible to attend with airline miles, an AirBnB, and even including a surely outrageous ticket price. Outside of getting tickets from the LFC allotment (which none of us could) they are about $3,500+/ticket. Room would be about $2,000 for a few days anywhere remotely near Madrid. Flight is doable with miles. I've traveled with my wife to Spain for two weeks before and didn't even spend close to this much. Dreams crushed.

Screw UEFA and their allotment and crushing my bucket list!!!! 68,000 tickets and only 33,286 combined to LFC and Spurs. 35,000 to "corporate sponsors." It's even worse for the Europa League Final in Baku.....Baku!!

Stop ruining the sport we love!!!
Bryan98
AG
gig them said:

I think there's a larger question at play, here... do you NEED to leave Liverpool to achieve your club ambitions? When Suarez, RAS, and Couthinho bailed, I totally understood. The club hadn't arrived yet, and some of those moves were cultural to boot.

But if you're chasing domestic and european glory in 2019, doesn't it feel like Liverpool is as good a place to be as any?
This is a question common to fans of almost every big team that isn't the Yankees of their particular sport. Now Tottenham (where my allegiance is) is saying the same thing.

It just depends on the player, imho. Some have always wanted to play for Barca or Madrid, or possibly ManU or Bayern. Others seem to be happy playing for a club that competes at the top level but isn't breaking the bank with 500M Euros in transfers every summer.

I do think it's gross how the same teams win most of the major European leagues for years on end, and so stars go to those clubs in order to be able to say they "won" something. You didn't win jack, you got selected to the mega-team and you achieved the minimum expectation; big whoop.

FWIW Liverpool had my support to win the league this year after Spurs fell out of the running. Much prefer them to City.
"Texas - It's still America down here!"
jeffk
AG
We're obviously a superior fanbase.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My wife is over in Liverpool this week for a funeral and a couple of her cousins who are headed to Madrid just to be there for the weekend were trying to convince her to "let" me go with them.

While I don't need permission, it would just be a stupid amount of money to basically go and watch the game on a bar and get hammered for a weekend. And it's just a tough weekend to make it work as well.

Getting old sucks.
AG@RICE
AG
gig them said:

Sunny Spain will always be a draw over dreary England.
It may not seem like a big deal, but those cold winter games are probably the Achilles heel of English futbol.
Bryan98
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

My wife is over in Liverpool this week for a funeral and a couple of her cousins who are headed to Madrid just to be there for the weekend were trying to convince her to "let" me go with them.

While I don't need permission, it would just be a stupid amount of money to basically go and watch the game on a bar and get hammered for a weekend. And it's just a tough weekend to make it work as well.

Getting old sucks.
I don't understand this whole "going to the city but not the game" phenomenon that I've been hearing about. Some Spurs podcasters did this for the semis, in fact. I mean, if you want to go to Amsterdam or Madrid, that legitimately sounds wonderful, but there's no reason to do it on this occasion. You could much more reliably select a bar that has accouterments that you like back here in the states.
eiggA2002
AG
Bryan98 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Getting old sucks.
I don't understand this whole "going to the city but not the game" phenomenon that I've been hearing about. Some Spurs podcasters did this for the semis, in fact. I mean, if you want to go to Amsterdam or Madrid, that legitimately sounds wonderful, but there's no reason to do it on this occasion. You could much more reliably select a bar that has accouterments that you like back here in the states.
And the cities, teams, and UEFA repeatedly ask people without tickets to not do this. They even advise against this in the group stages and every major competition in the world.
Dre_00
You're right, thet advise against it and for good reason buuuuuut...

I totally get it. The atmosphere is just electric. It's nothing like going to a pub in the US and watching the game. That's like saying watching a WC game in a pub in the US is the same as going to the fan fest onsite and watching the game from a pub there.

I've done both. I can assure it's not.
Dre_00
Or put it another way. If you're able to do it, everyone should go to a WC or a major final once even if you don't have a ticket. Doubly so if you're team is in it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I don't either, and that's one of several thousand reasons I'm not going.

That being said, being a 30 year old single Liverpudlian just an EasyJet away might make me feel differently.
Bryan98
AG
I'm sure the atmosphere is better, just not sure it's $10, 000 better if you're not going to the actual game.

The Liverpool watch party in Houston for last year's a Champions League final is one of the best watch party atmospheres I've experienced. A few USA watch parties would also make the list.
Mustang1
AG
Is Shaqiri really on the way out?
OregonAggie
AG
Mustang1 said:

Seems so. Once we committed to a 4-3-3 for every game he stopped playing. He's only 27. I'd request a transfer out. That dude can flat out play and someone is going to start him from Day One
BenderRodriguez
AG
Mustang1 said:

After how he played in the Barca game, I'm not as upset as I would have been at this news early in the season.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I like the Cube, but he's just not a contributor to the squad as it stands right now. I wouldn't call him a bust by any means, just a casualty of other guys playing pretty well and our tactics moving away from his skill set. Hopefully we'll get some good value for him.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, I like the Cube, but he's just not a contributor to the squad as it stands right now. I wouldn't call him a bust by any means, just a casualty of other guys playing pretty well and our tactics moving away from his skill set. Hopefully we'll get some good value for him.

I echo these thoughts as well. He just didn't fit the system we eventually committed to. Dude is a baller in the right system.
OregonAggie
AG
Ramos to.....Liverpool?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sportbible.com/football/news-transfers-ramos-linked-with-a-transfer-to-liverpool-20190524.amp.html
Bryan98
AG
Any good feelings I have towards Liverpool (I'm a Spurs fan) are canceled if he joins.

After what he did to Salah last year? How is this even a consideration?
OregonAggie
AG
Bryan98 said:

Any good feelings I have towards Liverpool (I'm a Spurs fan) are canceled if he joins.

After what he did to Salah last year? How is this even a consideration?

I'm not even sure how it's a possibility after last year either. I will say though, it's a rumor and this time of year is full of wild rumors so who knows. Just from an on field standpoint, we'd have the strongest CB pairing in soccer...but **** that. I hate that damn guy just like I hated Terrell Owens before during and after the Cowboys signed him.

I imagine it would take a truckload if money to sign him so why don't we just try to sign a guy like Koulibaly or make a huge push for De Ligt.

This article was probably for clicks but my head about exploded when I read it earlier
jeffk
AG
That has to be clickbait.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

That has to be clickbait.

You think SportBible is an onion spinoff??

Hahahahaha
gougler08
AG
Transfer talk is about as reliable as the National Enquirer
RossG_2
AG
So where is the best place in Houston to watch the final on Saturday?
eiggA2002
AG
Hugh O'Connors and The Barking Pig are the official ones I think. Last year was awesome at the Gorgeous Gael but it closed down.

Same for Dallas - Was hoping for somewhere other than the Londoner.

YNWA!!!
Bryan98
AG
eiggA2002 said:

Hugh O'Connors and The Barking Pig are the official ones I think. Last year was awesome at the Gorgeous Gael but it closed down.

Same for Dallas - Was hoping for somewhere other than the Londoner.

YNWA!!!
If Hugh O'Connors is the one in Memorial City, I believe they already distributed wristbands for the event. I'd call and ask if you're thinking about going there.

Probably any decent soccer bar will be a great place to watch, and will be packed well ahead of time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think we're gonna go to Ron's if we can get Granny to watch the brood.
RossG_2
AG
Thanks for the tips. I'll see about The Barking Pig since Hugh O'Connors is sold out.
jeffk
AG
Thinking about watching at Moe's here in CS.
joemeister
AG
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/andy-robertson-liverpool-champions-league
joemeister
AG
The red angry face is what I imagine Robo looked like while he was writing that.
jeffk
AG
That's amazing. I'm fired up!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.