***US MNT 2018***

39,395 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mathguy64
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A thread to talk about anything that isn't specific to a single game.
PatAg
AG
http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3463649/united-states-mens-team-to-have-gm-in-coming-weeks-carlos-cordeiro

I'd be interested in Stewart. I beleive he spent a lot of time in the Dutch leagues behind the scenes after his playing career was over.
deadbq03
AG
I can't believe 'Chief Soccer Officer' is actually a thing. He must oversee the Dept. Of Redundancy Department, too.
Aston94
AG
Looks like we are getting closer to filling the GM role for USMNT:

GM Coming Soon for USMNT

Here is the team's schedule for friendlies prior to WC that we wont be a part of:

May 28, 2018 6:30 PM ET MNT vs Bolivia Talen Energy Stadium; Chester, Pa.
June 2, 2018 3 PM ET MNT vs Ireland Aviva Stadium; Dublin, Ireland
June 9, 2018 3 PM ET MNT vs France Groupama Stadium; Lyon, France

And per the England FA and Italian FA, we will be playing both of them in the November friendlies:

November 15 England v. USMNT (Wembley)
November 20 Italy v. USMNT (TBA-apparently a neutral location presumably somewhere in Europe)

ChipFTAC01
AG
I'd really love to see the game at Wembley.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Who are the prospects for the next great American goalie?
Rudyjax
AG
http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/predicted-usmnt-roster-for-may-june

Goalkeepers

1) Zack Steffen
2) Bill Hamid
3) Alex Bono

In the mix: Ethan Horvath, Stefan Frei

Not in the article, but Klinsmans kid is pretty good and playing on a U23 team in Germany.
stillmerk
AG
Was hoping William Yarbrough and Jesse Gonzalez could push for the #1.
PatAg
AG
stillmerk said:

Was hoping William Yarbrough and Jesse Gonzalez could push for the #1.
Yea, I think it would be a bit strange to just dismiss Gonzalez considering how big a deal it was that he chose us.
deadbq03
AG
I was really hoping to see Yarbrough in the WCQ. Transfermarkt has had him as our most valuable keeper for a while now. But now at 29, it's kinda hard to call him the next great hope. It's likely that only be viable for one more WC cycle... If he's our best option for that one then I hope he's called up, but sadly I think his time has passed.
Rudyjax
AG
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/4/23/17271882/yanks-abroad-brooks-return-forget-us-soccer-usmnt-uswnt
Rudyjax
AG
http://www.tampabay.com/mckennie-adams-miazga-in-top-tier-of-us-soccer-player-pool-ap_sports31f63a6e7eea434c8ea29897e75f9235

Quote:

Veterans such as Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley could have a role either in friendlies this autumn or when competitive matches resume in the summer of 2019.
"I do think those guys, some of them, will factor in, in terms of the Gold Cup, in terms of the next round of qualifying," Sarachan said Wednesday. "I think it would be important to bring some of those veterans guys back."

Dempsey, who turned 35 last month, is tied with Landon Donovan for the U.S. record of 57 international goals.
"The older guys, they're valuable in the succession of everything, to mentor, to show these young guys what it really takes and what it is to be a part of the national team," Sarachan said. "But as far as that goes, you know, sometimes a tie is all right, right? Share the spoils."
Christian Pulisic, the Americans' 19-year-old star midfielder, will be on the roster for the May 28 match against Bolivia in the Philadelphia suburbs. Pulisic, who is from Hershey, Pennsylvania, has not played for the national team since the 2-1 loss at Trinidad and Tobago in October that eliminated the U.S. from World Cup contention.
While U.S. training starts May 21, Pulisic will report late so he can remain with Borussia Dortmund for a postseason exhibition at LAFC on May 22.
"He was pretty gutted after that game," Sarachan said of the loss in Trinidad. "There's a lot of demands of a guy like Christian. He's being pulled in a lot of different directions. There's still some speculation this didn't come from him directly but I know that there's some speculation that maybe he'll move from Dortmund. So I know there's a lot going on. And I'm trying to be helpful in the process to allow him a little wiggle room in terms of the national team now."
Josh Sargent, the 18-year-old forward who joined Werder Bremen this year, also will be on the roster. The U.S. plays at Ireland on June 2 and at France on June 9, and Sarachan said many Europe-based players may skip the Bolivia match.
Sarachan was the top assistant to Bruce Arena, who quit after the U.S. failed to qualify. Sarachan would like to be considered for the job going forward, but new U.S. Soccer Federation President Carlos Cordeiro plans to first hire a general manager for the men's national team, a new position.

Sounds to me like he's trying to pad his win/loss rather than developing the next level for WC qualifying.

I'd be fine if Dempsey, Bradley and Howard never play again for the MNC. Might as well bring back Donovan if you're bringing back Dempsey.
gig them
AG
Agreed. Dempsey deserves a hero's send off. A testimonial. All the things you do for your outgoing NT legends.

If he's meaningfully involved in the GC buildup, it's a mistake.
PatAg
AG
Unthought Known said:

http://www.tampabay.com/mckennie-adams-miazga-in-top-tier-of-us-soccer-player-pool-ap_sports31f63a6e7eea434c8ea29897e75f9235

Quote:

Veterans such as Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley could have a role either in friendlies this autumn or when competitive matches resume in the summer of 2019.
"I do think those guys, some of them, will factor in, in terms of the Gold Cup, in terms of the next round of qualifying," Sarachan said Wednesday. "I think it would be important to bring some of those veterans guys back."

Dempsey, who turned 35 last month, is tied with Landon Donovan for the U.S. record of 57 international goals.
"The older guys, they're valuable in the succession of everything, to mentor, to show these young guys what it really takes and what it is to be a part of the national team," Sarachan said. "But as far as that goes, you know, sometimes a tie is all right, right? Share the spoils."
Christian Pulisic, the Americans' 19-year-old star midfielder, will be on the roster for the May 28 match against Bolivia in the Philadelphia suburbs. Pulisic, who is from Hershey, Pennsylvania, has not played for the national team since the 2-1 loss at Trinidad and Tobago in October that eliminated the U.S. from World Cup contention.
While U.S. training starts May 21, Pulisic will report late so he can remain with Borussia Dortmund for a postseason exhibition at LAFC on May 22.
"He was pretty gutted after that game," Sarachan said of the loss in Trinidad. "There's a lot of demands of a guy like Christian. He's being pulled in a lot of different directions. There's still some speculation this didn't come from him directly but I know that there's some speculation that maybe he'll move from Dortmund. So I know there's a lot going on. And I'm trying to be helpful in the process to allow him a little wiggle room in terms of the national team now."
Josh Sargent, the 18-year-old forward who joined Werder Bremen this year, also will be on the roster. The U.S. plays at Ireland on June 2 and at France on June 9, and Sarachan said many Europe-based players may skip the Bolivia match.
Sarachan was the top assistant to Bruce Arena, who quit after the U.S. failed to qualify. Sarachan would like to be considered for the job going forward, but new U.S. Soccer Federation President Carlos Cordeiro plans to first hire a general manager for the men's national team, a new position.

Sounds to me like he's trying to pad his win/loss rather than developing the next level for WC qualifying.

I'd be fine if Dempsey, Bradley and Howard never play again for the MNC. Might as well bring back Donovan if you're bringing back Dempsey.
I think this is a pretty silly sentiment. Those guys did more than enough for the National Team, and deserve a farewell series.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Unthought Known said:

Quote:

I think this is a pretty silly sentiment. Those guys did more than enough for the National Team, and deserve a farewell series.
They got their farewell when they lost to Trinidad.

But.......

i didn't think of it that way. Yeah, play them against Bolivia,, let them get their Standing O in the 66th minute, and never play them again.

PatAg
AG
Unthought Known said:

PatAg said:

Unthought Known said:

Quote:

They got their farewell when they lost to Trinidad.

But.......

i didn't think of it that way. Yeah, play them against Bolivia,, let them get their Standing O in the 66th minute, and never play them again.

Sorry, I shoudl have been clear. I am super frustrated with the last cycle, but those guys did so many great things for us they deserve recognition...they also shouldnt be a part of the picture going forward in any meaningful games. Maybe bradley as a sub off the bench possibly.
NWE
AG
My current relationship with USMNT:

Rudyjax
AG
http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/what-could-a-top-u-s-u-23-team-look-like-in-2020-a-medal-contender
Rudyjax
AG
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/5/2/17309340/interview-phil-west-plan-usmnt-win-world-cup

Quote:

Where Phil thinks we are right now is that there could be good times for the US just two World Cups away. "The thesis of the book is essentially that we put a lot of things in place to succeed," he said, "But I think within this current cycle, this [loss] was kind of the end product of some things that we weren't doing as well maybe eight to 10 years ago. I think that we are on the better course right now but I think we're going to really see that flourish in 2026 where you know [Christian] Pulisic and [Weston] McKennie and players like that will be at their peak and then hopefully combine with the US hosting the World Cup. I think that that's going to be a breakout World Cup for the US."
Quote:

As for the positives Phil mentioned, he thinks the development academy has been helpful and MLS academies are coming into their own. In the book he talks about young players going abroad like Pulisic, McKennie, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Emerson Hyndman, and Danny Williams. But there is an element of realism to all the talk, a sense that this will definitely be a grind over time. When I asked him about the things he really wants to change, they were structural elements like eliminating financial barriers in youth soccer and improving the ratio of coaches to players. "Thinking about 2026 and beyond, you have players who are 10, 12, 14 [years old] who may be called upon for that theoretically to win a World Cup," he pointed out. "I do think there are things that have to happen now at that level."
Rudyjax
AG
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/5/4/17315166/usmnt-may-4-6-epl-bundesliga-mls-viewing-guide-and-open-thread

Saturday
Stoke City v Crystal Palace - 7:30a on NBCSN
Stoke City sit three points from safety with two games remaining. Making matters worse for them is that the five teams in front of them all have an additional game to play (thus more opportunities for points) and they have a horrendous goal differential that is six goals worse than any other team in the league.
With Stoke seeming like a lock to get relegated this could be your last opportunity in awhile to see Cameron in the Premier League, except of course that he hasn't actually been playing lately. Cameron had two starts in February and again in March, and only one substitute appearance in April. Cameron has been with the club since 2012, it's the only English club he's played with and he's signed through 2020 but with their relegation and his diminished playing time is it possible that he'll look to make a move this Summer?

Borussia Dortmund v Mainz 05 - 9:30a on Fox Deportes
There are a number of scenarios that could result in Borussia Dortmund clinching a Champions League spot this weekend but the most straightforward is to just win baby. Other scenarios include Bayer Leverkusen losing, a BVB draw coupled with a loss by Hoffenheim or draw by Leverkusen. There are likely others as well but it does seem likely that BVB are headed for more Champions League play in 2018-19. There will of course be speculation regarding whether or not Christian Pulisic will transfer this Summer or if he'll still be with the club for those games in the Fall. For now though Pulisic seems close to a lock to start for BVB on Saturday, he's started seven straight league games.

Eintracht Frankfurt v Hamburger SV - 9:30a on Univision Deportes
Is it possible that Bobby Wood and Hamburg could escape relegation? Currently the club sit two points behind John Brooks' relegation-playoff-bound Wolfsburg team who are slumping at exactly the wrong time. Wood converted a penalty kick last weekend in Hamburgs 3-1 win over Wolfsburg. Wolfsburg still hold a strong goal differential so Hamburg will need to win at least one of their last two against Frankfurt and Borussia Monchengladbach. From an American standpoint this all begs the question of whether you'd rather see Hamburg and Bobby Wood relegated or Wolfsburg and John Brooks? Technically they could both avoid the fate at the expense of Mainz or SC Freiburg but that seems unlikely as the two teams hold a five point advantage over Hamburg.
Speaking of teams picking a lousy time to scuffle along, Eintracht Frankfurt have been on a slide themselves recently, falling down to seventh place and out of European competition all together. Frankfurt sit just one point behind RB Leipzig, who finish with games against Wolfsburg and Hertha Berlin, if they're able to catch them it would mean a spot in the Europa League next season. Timothy Chandler had been consistently starting for Frankfurt midseason and was making an impact as well but failed to get off the bench last weekend against Bayern Munich.

New York Red Bulls v New York City FC - 1:55p on ESPN
Featuring arguably the most exciting young American playing in the MLS in Tyler Adams, the New York Red Bulls are looking to build some consistency and establish an actual winning streak having gone every other since the start of the season (without a single draw through their first seven as well). The Red Bulls also won their first road game of the season last weekend, traveling to LA to beat the Galaxy 3-2. The Red Bulls will look to build on that this week against NYCFC who responded to their first loss of the season by defeating FC Dallas 3-1 last weekend.

Los Angeles Football Club v FC Dallas - 4:00p on Univision
Walker Zimmerman will have his first opportunity to face his former team after being traded in the off-season from Dallas to LAFC. Zimmerman will likely be joined by fellow American Benny Feilhaber. LAFC are off to a fine start at 5-2-0, besting even the vaunted Atlanta Unitedstandard for an inaugural season.
Zimmerman's former team FC Dallas has lost just one game on the season, loosing last weekend for the first time to NYCFC. Jacori Hayes has been off to a fine start this season and while not exactly young (22) he still has some time for growth and an opportunity to work his way into the USMNT picture.

Rudyjax
AG
http://www.goal.com/en-om/news/projecting-the-usmnt-squads-for-the-may-june-friendlies/1g2aq8g8vkl3k1kyi3uh88mmk2
Juan Solo
AG
Club Leon are getting GK Rodolfo Cota from Chivas, so Yarbrough will probably have a new team soon.
Rudyjax
AG
https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2018/5/17/17365144/usmnt-world-cup-roster-selection-difficult-decision
boogieman
AG
Yeah. That article doesn't paint a good picture.

Still angry we didn't make it and at least get the young guys good experience.
Rudyjax
AG
This one's glass is half full.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/05/16/armchair-analyst-my-us-national-team-2018-world-cup-squad
Rudyjax
AG
Adams to Germany?

Quote:

It appears that Tyler Adams is Europe-bound, a move that might happen this summer or perhaps at the conclusion of the MLS season. The 19-year old midfielder is now in the midst of his fourth season as a professional soccer player, the past two years as a regular in the New York Red Bulls starting XI.

Sources tell Metro that Adams is closing in on a deal that would send him to Red Bull Leipzig in the Bundesliga, securing a transfer that presumably would be finalized after the MLS Cup Playoffs this fall. There is a possibility, though, that the move is made permanent this summer and he moves to Europe within the next couple of months.
Juan Solo
AG
USA to play Mexico and Brazil between Sept 3-11 FIFA window. Mexico will play in Houston on Sept 7, so 50/50 chance we get USA vs MEX at NRG.
Rudyjax
AG
Juan Solo said:

USA to play Mexico and Brazil between Sept 3-11 FIFA window. Mexico will play in Houston on Sept 7, so 50/50 chance we get USA vs MEX at NRG.
Nice.
Dre_00
Ernie Stewart to be named General Manager

https://sports.yahoo.com/earnie-stewart-named-next-u-s-soccer-general-manager-205344182.html
cadetjay02
AG
Just a bit of interest- Midfielder Keaton Parks is interesting because he didn't play academy, played Classic League in Dallas and high school in Frisco. Graduated a semester early and turned down a scholarship to SMU to take a chance with a division 2 team in Portugal. Got signed by Benfica and has spent most of his time with their B team but has gotten several call ups to the big team. I'm hopeful he's in the middle with Mckinnie with Pulisic and Weah on the outside.
He's a good dude and I'm hoping he earns his spot for the future.
TheMasterplan
Pulisic is tatted up now.

Following Messi's footsteps.
Rudyjax
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Pulisic is tatted up now.

Following Messi's footsteps.

Have you seen his shoulder tat?

But name a professional athlete without tats.
PatAg
AG
cadetjay02 said:

Just a bit of interest- Midfielder Keaton Parks is interesting because he didn't play academy, played Classic League in Dallas and high school in Frisco. Graduated a semester early and turned down a scholarship to SMU to take a chance with a division 2 team in Portugal. Got signed by Benfica and has spent most of his time with their B team but has gotten several call ups to the big team. I'm hopeful he's in the middle with Mckinnie with Pulisic and Weah on the outside.
He's a good dude and I'm hoping he earns his spot for the future.
the Classic League was always one of the best in the country though.

I'm interested to see if they will actually start a lot of the young/talented players together.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/earnie-stewart-named-next-u-s-soccer-general-manager-205344182.html

This makes me very, very happy. He is a great choice, understands the European game and the US team very well. I couldn't think of a better choice.

Will be really interested to see what his job description and that of the coach are. Will be interesting to see how they divide responsibilities.
akm91
AG
Dre_00 said:

Link doesn't work. Saw article on Stars and Stripes that Stewart is the front runner and negotiations may be in process.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.