***US MNT 2018***

39,687 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mathguy64
gig them
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Updated link

https://sports.yahoo.com/earnie-stewart-negotiations-become-first-u-s-soccer-general-manager-214614705.html

Not a ton of info tbh, but I do love that the general manager position FINALLY exists
PatAg
AG
https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/17428184/2018-world-cup-us-soccer-inside-story-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

great article
gig them
AG
PatAg said:

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/17428184/2018-world-cup-us-soccer-inside-story-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

great article

I loved the article. I hate that it exists. I'm mad that I read it. I'm glad we're aware of our issues.

Real mixed bag for me with the USMNT right now.
Rudyjax
AG
Quote:

Chandler told him not to risk aggravating his injuries. Wood was still establishing himself as a regular starter in Germany's Bundesliga. Why, Chandler posited, risk that by overexerting yourself for your country when your club team was paying most of your bills?
jeffk
AG
Wow. That was a great piece.

The Chandler- Wood exchange was sickening.
jeffk
AG
Saddest part may be how little things have really changed since T&T.

And yes, I know a new coach hire is the biggest puzzle piece we're waiting on. I just get the new boss same as the old boss feeling from the USSF leadership.
boogieman
AG
Man. What a scathing article.

Maybe it was best to miss the WC, so we could clean house and wipe the slate clean for the kids.
Bryan98
AG
jeffk said:

Saddest part may be how little things have really changed since T&T.

And yes, I know a new coach hire is the biggest puzzle piece we're waiting on. I just get the new boss same as the old boss feeling from the USSF leadership.

Did you hear the Grant Wahl interview with Cordeiro? My mood improved after hearing it. But I agree that the new coach is the piece that matters the most.

Also, I've been fairly well encouraged that Sarachan has gone all-in on the kids in the meantime, because we clearly need some new blood. It will be interesting to see what older players get called in when the new coach is in place.
who?mikejones
AG
After reading that article, I admit that missing the world cup might do us some good in the long run.

The only thing that can fix that environment is to kill it with fire and start over.
Rudyjax
AG
Agreed. The best thing at this point is to start fresh.
gig them
AG
Stewart as GM confirmed.

Hopefully this position is actually a real position that does real things.
Aston94
AG
Link regarding Stewart! This is a great day for US Soccer!

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/06/06/13/44/20180606-news-mnt-earnie-stewart-named-general-manager-of-us-mens-national-team
Aston94
AG
He will have full authority over the USMNT, including hiring the coach and selection of squad. Coach will be in charge of team selection but I assume all players will be monitored and decided upon by Stewart and the coach he selects.

jeffk
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

He will have full authority over the USMNT, including hiring the coach and selection of squad. Coach will be in charge of team selection but I assume all players will be monitored and decided upon by Stewart and the coach he selects.

He doesn't start until August 1, that seems bad.
Bryan98
AG
PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Why? Our summer plans are depressingly uneventful.

Speaking of which, he probably just wants to chillax with his family for a bit in between jobs and watch the World Cup. His previous job in the MLS was one where you don't get a summer break.
Rudyjax
AG
Bryan98 said:

PatAg said:

Aston94 said:

Why? Our summer plans are depressingly uneventful.

Speaking of which, he probably just wants to chillax with his family for a bit in between jobs and watch the World Cup. His previous job in the MLS was one where you don't get a summer break.
I don't think it matters. He probably has a deal in place for the next manager.
boogieman
AG
Crossing my fingers
gig them
AG
Aston94 said:

I always envisioned it as the Coach/GM split from the traditional American franchise structure. Glad to hear that's not too far off.
Rudyjax
AG
Someone is salty about it.

https://deadspin.com/u-s-soccer-tries-to-fix-its-problems-by-building-a-big-1826615481?utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow&__twitter_impression=true
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg
AG
""I think it's a failure of a cycle. It obviously hurts, but I don't think it has anything to do with systems. I think it has more to do with the period that you're in. Unfortunately, we were on the bad side of that cycle, but now there's a new cycle coming along. There's a new player pool coming along. There's a lot of talent in the United States and it's something that we have to look after and make sure that they reach the highest of their potential. Being able to be there for them, facilitate them in that, is the most important job for us.""

Full quote. Feels like maybe he means cycle of players, aka the 'missing generation'?
AG@RICE
AG
PatAg said:

great article

I hate Klinsmann. That wasn't always the case, but when he left Landon out of the WC, I was done with his egotistical ass. He treated the greatest American player of all time like a dog. Klinnsmann left him off the squad because he needed to be the star, and that wasnt possible with the american GOAT on his sideline. Jk never cared about the US or our collective identity. It was all about his vision...and his vision was lazy and lacked attention to detail (very un-German to be honest).

Who honestly could have thought Wando should make a WC squad over LD. Sounds absolutely insane in retrospect...
akm91
AG
I would concur with that assessment.

Germany roster's age:

G: Neuer 32, Ter Stegen 27, Trapp 26
D: Boateng 29, Ginter 24, Hector 28, Hummels 29, Kimmich 23, Plattenhardt 26, Rudiger 25, Sule 22
M: Brandt 22 , Draxler 24 , Goretzka 23, Gundogan 27, Khedira 31, Kroos 28, Ozil 29, Reus 29, Rudy 28
F: Gomez 32, Muller 28, Werner 22

Left out notable players like Sane 22 and Gotze 26

Only 3 over age of 30 and one is a GK. Backbone of the team seem to be in the 25~30 range: Hummels, Boateng, Kroos, Ozil, Muller

Our last WC roster had 3 GK's over age of 30 alone! There a big gap in the US player pool in the 25-30 range that plays at high level that can be counted on as the backbone of the team.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

""I think it's a failure of a cycle. It obviously hurts, but I don't think it has anything to do with systems. I think it has more to do with the period that you're in. Unfortunately, we were on the bad side of that cycle, but now there's a new cycle coming along. There's a new player pool coming along. There's a lot of talent in the United States and it's something that we have to look after and make sure that they reach the highest of their potential. Being able to be there for them, facilitate them in that, is the most important job for us.""

Full quote. Feels like maybe he means cycle of players, aka the 'missing generation'?
Leave to Alexi to parse the quote to serve his purposes.
Rudyjax
AG
2 countries made the quarters in the U17 and U20 World Cup.

Hazard to guess which 2 countries?
gig them
AG
Had to look it up. The US... and England. I had forgotten that they went and won both dang tourneys.
Rudyjax
AG
gig them said:

Had to look it up. The US... and England. I had forgotten that they went and won both dang tourneys.

England has a lot to be excited for. They changed the rules in joint training within the acadamies.

I see a semis or finals or win for them in 4-12 years.
akm91
AG
Unthought Known said:

2 countries made the quarters in the U17 and U20 World Cup.

Hazard to guess which 2 countries?

The challenge for US players, in the past at least, is bridging the gap from the youth team into meaningful professional minutes. That's where the US has huge disadvantage in terms of youth players being able to gain access to the European soccer landscape.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Finals loss to the US in 2026. Bisesisquientennial showdown. Round 3.

They can win when they finally get to host in 2030.
Rudyjax
AG
Agreed. But the academy system IS getting bette. And a lot, not all of young players are following he precedent set by Pulisic, McKinney, Carter-Vickers, Sargent, etc and getting to Europe instead of college.

Aston94
AG
This is my shocked face that Alexi Lalas is taking shots at ideas which are not his own.

Asking the USMNT coach to be in charge of evaluating and directing all the USMNT teams and their coaching staffs was ludicrous. You want a system in place that can withstand if a coach leaves after a WC cycle. In the past it was the President of US Soccer (an unpaid figurehead) that essentially determined the path of US Soccer when they hired a coach. Now a fixed system of evaluation will be in place no matter the coach.

If people cannot see how there was an absolute lack of structure in US Soccer before and how this gives us a structure for stability and generating a true team identity then too bad for them.

The article complaining about this only adding beaurocracy is laughable, because there was absolutely no structure before.
Bryan98
AG
Thanks for linking the article so we'd have some context for your rant.
wangus12
AG
Unthought Known said:

gig them said:

England has a lot to be excited for. They changed the rules in joint training within the acadamies.

I see a semis or finals or win for them in 4-12 years.
Its England. The greatest underachievers in the history of the sport. They just had what they thought was a "golden" generation that only made the Quarters as a best result.
akm91
AG
Unthought Known said:

Agreed. But the academy system IS getting bette. And a lot, not all of young players are following he precedent set by Pulisic, McKinney, Carter-Vickers, Sargent, etc and getting to Europe instead of college.

Big issue is that currently the youngsters that come up from academies are not getting much playing time in MLS. There are clubs that buck the trend but most clubs don't play the young players.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.