New USMNT Coach

4,320 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by akm91
boogieman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Step one
oh no
AG
now this discussion gets interesting.
fig96
AG
He was an interim for a team that doesn't have any matches to play...is that really resigning?
claym711
AG
Lol Tab Ramos
EastSideAg2002
planoaggie123
AG
Tatu? Dallas Sidekicks legend....
AgGrad99
AG
Tatu used to coach my travel club team when I was younger. He was a mean sob.
oh no
AG
how is Martino liking the USofA? He seems to have a pretty good resume as a coach, has had the last year to get familiar with MLS players and a lot of our current player pool..
PatAg
AG
We're confirmed to be playing Portugal in November now.
AgGrad99
AG
I guess I better throw my name in the hat....someone's got to coach.
moneyag7
PatAg said:

We're confirmed to be playing Portugal in November now.
November 14th 12:45pm.

I will rage on so many levels if certain decisions are made for this game.
wangus12
AG
I hate the fact that we will most likely be used as fodder for teams warming up to the cup
jeffk
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Ha - I spent time this morning researching the process of being nominated to run for USSF president.
moneyag7
wangus12 said:

I hate the fact that we will most likely be used as fodder for teams warming up to the cup
I don't hate it. Gets these young kids the chance to play against the best of the best in a non pressure situation
akm91
AG
moneyag7 said:

wangus12 said:

I don't hate it. Gets these young kids the chance to play against the best of the best in a non pressure situation
Absolutely! This is the beginning of transitioning to the next generation of USMNT players. Frankly, I don't want to see too many MSL players in these friendlies and want to see younger European based players.

Horvath, Jesse Gonzales Gooch, Emerson, McKennie, Miyazga, Jonathan Gonzales, EPB, CCV, Wright,

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
AgGrad99
AG
jeffk said:

AgGrad99 said:

Ha - I spent time this morning researching the process of being nominated to run for USSF president.
A. Have money and influence.

B. See "A"
wangus12
AG
akm91 said:

moneyag7 said:

wangus12 said:

Absolutely! This is the beginning of transitioning to the next generation of USMNT players. Frankly, I don't want to see too many MSL players in these friendlies and want to see younger European based players.

Horvath, Jesse Gonzales Gooch, Emerson, McKennie, Miyazga, Jonathan Gonzales, EPB, CCV, Wright,

One can only hope, but I think they'll continue to call up the same goes with very few exceptions
akm91
AG
wangus12 said:

akm91 said:

moneyag7 said:

wangus12 said:

One can only hope, but I think they'll continue to call up the same goes with very few exceptions
I hope if it's Ramos as the interim that he takes this approach. He knows most of these players pretty well.
TheMasterplan
Allardyce and Laurent Blanc apparently want the job.

That's crazy. Is the USMNT position that highly valued? I guess they really want to build up a team.
chjoak
AG
Blanc has the more impressive resume in terms of win percentage but honestly I would be ok with either.
aarjon
TheMasterplan said:

Allardyce and Laurent Blanc apparently want the job.

That's crazy. Is the USMNT position that highly valued? I guess they really want to build up a team.
It's a pretty low pressure job compared to Les Bleus and Paris Saint-Germain. I hope they select Blanc.
jay040
Stay the Eff away from long ball Allardyce - not what the USMNT needs.
Mathguy64
AG
Fat Sam. To paraphrase Jim Gordon in The Dark Knight, It's not what we need but it is what we deserve.

Then again, he is undefeated while coaching England.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Allardyce is a big fat NOPE.
OregonAggie
AG
blindey said:

Allardyce is a big fat NOPE.

Not a fan of him but I bet he'd be a great coach for us. I doubt the park the bus style would be seen too often against many concacaf teams but I'm sure we'd be the hardest team to watch at a World Cup as underdogs.
oh no
AG
just saw a headline that Landon Donovan is considering running for USSF president...
Pahdz
oh no said:

just saw a headline that Landon Donovan is considering running for USSF president...
He can actually afford it since it's an unpaid position. Probably the only former player who could swing it.
gig them
AG
Pahdz said:

oh no said:

He can actually afford it since it's an unpaid position. Probably the only former player who could swing it.

I kinda like it. I'm sure there's a huge business component to running the USSF where he'd need some help, but I'm comfortable with him making the soccer calls. Better him than Sunil, at least.
OregonAggie
AG
oh no said:

That would be a colossal mistake.
jay040
I don't know, USMNT as a business/marketing is pretty set. Having a player that's come through the system and seen/experienced the issues might be helpful. When it comes to picking a manager he probably won't get caught up by shiny things/big names like Gulati did.
Mathguy64
AG
The President of US Soccer doesnt need to be a former player or coach. They run the business side of the house and the Technical Director and their group should be making all the soccer decisions. The USMNT and USWNT coaches (at all levels) should work together for a comprehensive and cohesive strategy with that player fool. The TD also manages the much larger ODP pool to filter into the NT level. You want a former player as TD? Great. They dont need that skill set as President.

One problem is that US Soccer is tied at the hip with MLS. In England for example, the FA and EPL are separate entities. EPL plays under the FA umbrella but they are 100% distinct. Hell, Pro players/MLS gets a vote in deciding the US Soccer President.
OregonAggie
AG
jay040 said:

I don't know, USMNT as a business/marketing is pretty set. Having a player that's come through the system and seen/experienced the issues might be helpful. When it comes to picking a manager he probably won't get caught up by shiny things/big names like Gulati did.

The problem is that so much of what Gulati does is business stuff like mathguy said. I'd rather have someone like Steve Gans, the attorney from Boston, that's mulling a run. This position obviously affects the sport side of the USMNT but will also affect the business side and I don't see how Donovan brings much to that.
akm91
AG
There is no technical director currently in USA Soccer for USMNT. Klinnsi was the first and only technical director for USA Soccer for USMNT.

The biggest change needed in USA Soccer is transparency. No one knows who's making decisions let alone what decisions are being made.
Dre_00
Isn't having a president who only focuses on the business side part of the problem? I'm not saying that the president should be heavily involved in the soccer side but they have to at least have a vision of what should happen and then bring in the people to make it happen.

If Gulati (or any president) comes in and says "USSF is fine. The youth structure is fine...pay to play is cool. The incestuous relationship we have with MLS is ideal, etc. etc." then nothing is going to change. Any technical director is going to work to maintain the status quo. If the president says "We need to completely blow this **** up" then he'll appoint people who will make it happen.
Aston94
AG
US Soccer (in my mind) should be set up as:

President

Business Director---Technical Director---USMNT Coach----USWNT Coach

Four positions directly answering to the president. President doesn't need to oversee daily operations of any aspect.

The U-17, U-20 and U-23 Coaches answer to the Technical Director, with the President having final say, and the national team coach having a say as well.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.