New USMNT Coach

4,234 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by akm91
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who would you want and who realistically can the US get?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
Additionally, I didn't know this tidbit....

Quote:

Hire a Technical Director
The federation has only had one technical directorever!and that was Jurgen Klinsmann, who took on the job while serving as head coach.

This position is necessary but it should never be the same person as the head coach. The TD should be the coach's boss and should govern the national team. Like most federations, the TD should be in charge of organizing camps, hiring coaches, overseeing call-ups, evaluating the player pool, and working with the youth technical director, Tab Ramos. The TD is typically a long-term visionary of the national team program.

Seems like this may be more important than the next head coach.

What to do next?
FCBlitz
Please god not another Bruce Arena type. That was such a baddddddd choice.
stillmerk
AG
Pareja, realistically.
fig96
AG
Guys I at least talk to:

- Bielsa
- Koemann (might be coaching Holland sooner than later)
- Martino

Please, no Vermes. Not so hot on the idea of Porter either, we need someone with at least some national team or international experience.
DuncanField91
AG
Martino.
AgGrad99
AG
akm91 said:

Additionally, I didn't know this tidbit....

Quote:

Hire a Technical Director
The federation has only had one technical directorever!and that was Jurgen Klinsmann, who took on the job while serving as head coach.

This position is necessary but it should never be the same person as the head coach. The TD should be the coach's boss and should govern the national team. Like most federations, the TD should be in charge of organizing camps, hiring coaches, overseeing call-ups, evaluating the player pool, and working with the youth technical director, Tab Ramos. The TD is typically a long-term visionary of the national team program.

Seems like this may be more important than the next head coach.

What to do next?
That's actually the one thing Klinnsman was competent at, and helped move us forward with. He compared us to other countries, and knew we were deficient here. We need a Director that streamlines the talent from youth academies forward.

I really hope we put a lot of resources toward this, and find an outstanding person to lead this charge. Problem is, Sunil is hiring them (if he hires one)....so I'm not holding my breath.
akm91
AG
Has Pareja ever coached national team before?
irishaggie97
AG
only half kidding
Sir Alex Ferguson
akm91
AG
Hopefully there will be a change by March 2018.
Mr. White
I've heard for a while that Mourinho might be interested.
stillmerk
AG
Nope. Only ever coached in MLS.
tremble
AG
This is a no-brainer IMO. You elect a strongman to run the Federation and bring Klinsman back as the TD.

**** the MLS and **** all the vested interests who want pay-to-play.
wangus12
AG
FC Dallas has won only 1 game since July so there could be a chance Pareja will be available
akm91
AG
fig96 said:

Guys I at least talk to:

- Bielsa
- Koemann (might be coaching Holland sooner than later)
- Martino

Please, no Vermes. Not so hot on the idea of Porter either, we need someone with at least some national team or international experience.
Is it a big issue for the coach to speak English? I think Bielsa doesn't speak English.
moneyag7
I think we should hire Tab Ramos (current coach of USYNT u20 team) and let him see the team he's familiar with all the way through Qatar.

Here is a good article laying out the coaching options for the US though.
AEK
AG
What about Wagner?
tommyjohn
Bielsa burns hot and flames out quickly just about everywhere he goes. Not really what US Soccer needs right now.
OregonAggie
AG
Fun read.

Here's my choice of everyone on the list:

Miguel Herrera Club America

Herrera, the former Mexico manager who engineered a turnaround after El Tri's disastrous 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign, has repeatedly stated that he's open to an offer from U.S. Soccer. He's gotten results consistently with Mexico, America, and Tijuana. His up-tempo, attacking back-three setups both suit the player pool well and would be entertaining. U.S. Soccer should call him.

He'd be badass to have on the sideline and I told a buddy the other day that this is the man we need!
Phat32
AG
In for Herrera
Spaceball 1
AG
A Mexican US coach, HELL NO. They are our biggest rival.
An Ag in CO
AG
As much as I don't like the idea, Herrera would be a good choice.
aarjon
Herrera
AgGrad99
AG
I would not want Herrera.

moneyag7
Against Herrera. I think you keep it in the family. Especially with money for USSF slowing down over the next couple of years
Phat32
AG
"Keeping it in the family" is what got us here
moneyag7
Keeping it in the family was a poor choice of words. Just don't think Herrera is who we need right now, but none of us are making those decisions so we'll see what happens.
akm91
AG
I guess nothing is going to get decided until after February. No sense trying to hire a permanent coach until the US Soccer President elections are done.

MidTnAg
AG
Player Development is more important than a head coach of the national team. Without the players, the greatest coach in the world is not going to get us to the World Cup again.
PatAg
AG
MidTnAg said:

Player Development is more important than a head coach of the national team. Without the players, the greatest coach in the world is not going to get us to the World Cup again.
Luckily they had already started this development commitment a couple years ago, need to keep increasing in that regards.
TheMasterplan
How great would it be to beat Mexico with Herrara though?

wangus12
AG
One I'd be interested in is Thomas Tuchel, although he has no experience on the national level.
gig them
AG
The more important question, to me, is... will we hire a new technical director and keep that person separate from the manager?

If we can get someone with JK's vision as a technical director and keep that person tf away from gameday selection and tactics... that'll be a huge first step.
DeangeloVickers
AG
aarjon
He resigned
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.