Realistically, who could we get to replace JK?

5,108 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PatAg
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think most here expect him to go after tonight, but who is the better solution? Who can we get that would make firing him a safe decision?
FW Declerk
Bring Arena back ?
PatAg
AG
I think they must have a list prepared, and may have even talked to some of the candidates this year at some point to sound them out.

I would think Pareja would have to be on that list. Don't know how I feel about Arena. Honestly don't even know what the options are.
wangus12
AG
Jose Mourinho when he gets fired by Man United
MB19
AG
Sigi Schmid
Jesse Marsch
YankeeAg05
Arena is out of contract in LA right? I'd be ok with that move. He's consistently put together good teams in LA playing attacking soccer. Can't think of another name with his level of success internationally and in mls.
JJxvi
AG
Marcelo Bielsa
Mr. White
Steve Goff of the Washington Post says he has a contact with USSF that states if JK is gone it'll be Arena.

What better time than right now????

It would be foolish not to.
ja86
AG
The team has quit on him, there needs to be a change or we are toast. We may beat T&T, buy who else?
Mathguy64
AG
They can get Big Sam Allardyce. I mean he was undefeated as England's manager after all.
ja86
AG
You joke, but big Sam would be better. Anyone would be better, jk is a ****ing idiot when it comes to tactics.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Knowing our luck, we'll hire Roberto Martinez.
PatAg
AG
Mr. White said:

Steve Goff of the Washington Post says he has a contact with USSF that states if JK is gone it'll be Arena.

What better time than right now????

It would be foolish not to.
https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider

seems like there is a lot of smoke there. I'm for it. You hire him with the understanding its qualifying and world cup. He's done it before, he knows how to choose players to make a team, and play them to their strengths. Our player pool has more than enough talent.

Then I think we look at either a Claudio Reyna, Tab Ramos, or Oscar Pareja, to really take over this whole things. Actually instill an american system, instead of trying to fit a Round US playstyle into a German square hole

It was posted on here earlier, but Roger Bennet had a great interview with Oscar, and he spoke very passionately and intelligently about American soccer and soccer players.
PatAg
AG
"Gulati was pragmatic. "The sequence of game matters." Was V tough start and, he said, lots of points left. Believes in Klinsmann."

I hope that's just PR speak while they negotiate terms with Arena or someone else.
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

"Gulati was pragmatic. "The sequence of game matters." Was V tough start and, he said, lots of points left. Believes in Klinsmann."

I hope that's just PR speak while they negotiate terms with Arena or someone else.

more promising.
jeffk
AG
I'm available and cheap.
byfLuger41
AG
jeffk said:

I'm available and cheap.

JEFF K. 2016

Make USMNT Great Again!
jeffk
AG
If nothing else, I can guarantee that we'll miss the WC for far cheaper than we would under Klinsmann.
birdman
Hire the coach from Chile.
Mathguy64
AG
blindey said:

Knowing our luck, we'll hire Roberto Martinez.

Lucky for us the Belgians have already made that mistake.
hurleyag
AG
Smith&Co1970 said:

Make USMNT Great Again!

Put it on a scarf!
PatAg
AG
So I feel like, with the next qualifier being late March, and they normally have a January camp and 1 or 2 friendlys between the camp and the qualifier....the decision has to be made in November, or the first week of December, right?

Either he is replaced, and the new guy has time to connect with everyone and come up with a legit strategy going forward...or Jurgen stays and we hope we magically start playing better.
byfLuger41
AG
Wood buy!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Carlos de los Cobos
Dre_00
Arena is probably the best person by far for the job out of the people who would actually want it.

Guus Hiddink would be an interesting pick though. He has a history of managing smaller national teams with success (South Korea) and he has a history of stepping into underachieving teams and getting the existing players to play better and succeed (Chelsea). It will probably be Arena but Hiddink would be interesting.

And then after we qualify for the WC and place 3rd, go and get Miguel Herrera just for sheer entertainment value.
schmendeler
AG
As someone that tries to catch all the games but isn't super in touch with the gossip, can anyone brush over bullet points of what the problem is between JK and the players? Why the discontent?
Dre_00
I can't say for sure but insisting on throwing individuals under the bus after what he sees as a sub-par performance can't help. Or let's put it this way...a good man manager would know when he can do it and when he can't (See Ferguson, Alex). He just seemingly lays into them no matter what and says "Well, that's part of being an elite football player...you need to get use to it you simple American player."
PatAg
AG
What seems to be poor tactical choices, that are both ill prepared and ill thought out is a big one.

Consistently choosing certain players repeatedly, whether they are in form, playing poorly, or just came off a major injury and arent even really playing full games for their club team.
Mr. White
I think he angered a lot of players when he cut Bocanegra and Donovan with no warning just to make a point.
Mr. White
Dave Saharan, Arena's assistant at LA Galaxy is leaving the team.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......
Mr. White
Mr. White said:

Dave Saharan, Arena's assistant at LA Galaxy is leaving the team.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

Sacharan. Autocorrect will die by my hand.
titanmaster_race
2 days later and JK still hasn't been fired.

Trying hard not to reach for my pitchfork
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Go ahead and grab it, because Gulati ain't pulling that trigger. He'll wait until it's too late for the new guy to do anything, THEN he'll let JK go.
AgGrad99
AG
There was a article a few years ago, about JK's 'over-reach' with players. He is a control freak, and monitors everything. From their club selection, to their breakfast, to their sleep patterns.

Some of that can be healthy, but it was described as completely over bearing. There was grumbling that multiple players were fed up with it, particularly the more higher profile players.

I think JK has been good for US Soccer, with regards to finding players, helping to place players, setting up the academies for younger talent, etc... but as a coach, he is lost, and completely out-thinks himself.

I guess I'd be ok with Arena. I feel like we know his ceiling, and are putting a cap on the USMNT with him. I would rather go a different direction, with a coach that has more international relationships with clubs, rather than Arena. But all that said, we could do much worse.
AgGrad99
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Go ahead and grab it, because Gulati ain't pulling that trigger. He'll wait until it's too late for the new guy to do anything, THEN he'll let JK go.
That's his M.O.

It's why we were stuck with Kickball Bradley to begin with.

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.