For Sale: Cutting Boards (Made by Me)

26,400 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cupofjoe04
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Update 3/18/21

To my dear TexAgs friends and family,

Sadly, I am writing this note to let you all know that I am needing to make some changes. I will not be accepting any NEW orders for cutting boards or other woodwork. This is effective immediately, and lasting indefinitely.

Not trying too get too personal, but I want to give a quick rundown of factors that have played into my decision, because it was not an easy one for me to make. Basically, it all boils down to not having the time to maintain this as a "side hustle" right now.

- As I progress in my career, my level of responsibilities and time that I need to commit to my day job are increasing. This leaves me significantly less time for a side hustle.

- My kids deserve more time and attention from me. I'm tired of telling them I can't play with them because I need to go work in the garage. Also, as they are getting older, they are starting to do sports and other activities that take up weekends, and I want to be involved in that.

- My wife has been an outstanding business partner the last two years, but she deserves a break. She hasn't been a "hands on" partner so to speak in any of my woodwork, but for every hour I'm working on woodwork outside, she is inside cooking dinner, feeding kids, bathing kids, and putting kids to bed. She has been OUTSTANDING at handling all of this, but its time to give her a break.

- Lastly, this is less of a personal issue, but still a contributing factor. I am about to embark on a full gut and rebuild kitchen renovation that will likely span over the course of the next 1-2 years. I am doing EVERYTHING myself, so it is an immense amount of work and I just wont have time to dedicate to anything else.

ALL that being said, I am not quitting woodworking, I am not selling any of my tools or machines. In fact, I might actually build something for myself. I am confident that there will be another season in my life when I will be able to offer my services to the lovely TexAgs community again, but right now just isn't that time.

I want to SINCERELY thank everybody who has ordered a product from me. I truly enjoyed building every piece that I did. Plus I got to meet some really great people, and made some decent money along the way.

What this means for you.... The net effect here is I am not accepting any new orders. If you have an open order placed with me that you are waiting on, don't worry. I am 100% guaranteed going to fulfill your order, and you will get your items (Please just be patient with me on timing). Also, If you bought something from me in the past and have ANY sort of issue with it, or questions about care and maintenance, please feel free to contact me. I will be glad to talk to you and I will absolutely do whatever I need to do to fix it or make it right. I stand behind my products and I think I have enough happy customers to back that up.

Again, thank you everybody. I can't wait to bump this thread one day and "open back up" again.

-Evin Kuhrt

Update 05-13-19
All 3 original boards I posted for sale are sold. I'm leaving them up here just to show examples of my work. Also in this section I'm going to post some more pictures of other customer orders that are not for sale, I'm just showcasing some work to give examples of different things I can do.

Update 7-3-19
Scroll down for new "Maroon and White" board I'm offering. Also more examples of engraved boards.

Update 7-18-19
Scroll down for new options available on cutting boards.... Engraving on the side edge of the board, and the highly requested juice groove!

Update 11-24-19
I added pictures of the first two end grain cutting boards I have made, as well as LOTS of new boards for sale.

Update 8-20-20
LOTS of new stuff updated, so please take a few minutes to scroll through the entire post. I have new options added such as epoxy filling on engraving, lots of boards I've completed to give new ideas/examples, and new designs added such as the Texas flag board. Also updated boards currently for sale.

I can make a board pretty much any size you want, but I have created standard sizes and pricing to make things clearer.

Face grain prices:
Standard Small board is approximately 8" x 10, and is $40.
Standard Medium board is approximately 12" x 18", and is $80.
Standard Large is approximately 16" x 24", and is $120.

End grain prices: These boards take more material waste, more cuts, more glue ups, more sanding etc, so they will be priced higher than the face grain boards.
Small = $75
Medium = $130
Large = $180

These pictures are just for size comparison between small, medium, and large.

Previously completed boards not available for sale. Just posting here to show examples of stuff I can do.

Approximately 16.5" x 25" 1.5" thick. Mix of oak, cherry, mahogany, maple, and walnut. It is very heavy, but has a deep champfer on the bottom edge so that it's easy to get your fingers under it to pick up off of a flat surface.

Approximately 7.5" x 9" by 1.5" thick. Mostly oak with a single stripe of mohogany.

Approximately 7.5" x 10" x .75" thick. Mix of oak, cherry, mahogany, maple, and walnut.

Customer order of 4 standard small cutting boards. Mix of oak, cherry, mahogany, maple, and walnut. Note: I prefer not to make boards this thin any more due to complications during the fabrication process that make them much more difficult to make.

Standard medium board. Mix of oak, cherry, mahogany, maple, and walnut. Note: I prefer not to make boards this thin any more due to complications during the fabrication process that make them much more difficult to make.

This customer requested some "cocktail boards" that were just big enough for slicing a single lime or other fruit garnish. He wanted 10 of them to give as gifts. They 4.5" x 4.5" square, and are oak with a stripe of mahogany in the middle.

Standard medium board, and standard thickness for all boards from now on, 1.5" thick. Mix of oak, cherry, mahogany, maple, and walnut.

NEW 7-3-19: Introducing a new design/color scheme I'm offering. I'm calling it the "Maroon and White" cutting board. It's a mix of maple and a wood called Purple Heart that gets about as close to maroon as you can get without staining or dying.

Update 8/20/20 I've been working on getting the Purple Heart wood in my "Maroon and White" boards darker so that it's closer to maroon color. Here's a more recent one I've done, showing how dark/maroon I can get it (without any dies or stains). This particular board also has some fantastic "curl" in the maple, and came out beautiful.

Another new color scheme. I'm calling this one a "color gradient" design, and the colors on it really pop. It's walnut, Purple Heart, mahogany, cherry, oak, and maple.

MORE BIG NEWS, I am now offering laser engraving on all orders.

Engraving will be an additional $25 per board, for most graphics/text. If what you want engraved is exceptionally small or large, that number may change up or down.

The following boards are examples of engraving that I can have done on your board. I can do names, company logos, etc.

This board is for a good friend of mine that's a realtor in BCS. He liked it so much that he ordered 10 more, and is going to give them as gifts to customers at the closing of their house. It's the standard mix of woods seen in boards above, with his company logo laser engraved at 3" x 3" square.

This is a standard large board, and I wanted to try some new things design wise so it's a little bit different color pattern. It is a mix of only maple, cherry and walnut. The customer is giving it to his wife for their 5th wedding anniversary, which the traditional gift for that anniversary is made of wood. The engraving really looks spectacular on this board, and it is my favorite one I've made so far.

Here's the order of 10 boards I mentioned up above.

Here's another order of 10 boards I did for a local realtor here in Katy. (He was also my personal realtor, is a good Ag, and posts on here, so I highly recommend him) He has a lot of customers that are Ags (duh), so for his order he went with half "maroon and white" boards and half maple/cherry/walnut.

Y'all really don't need another example of engraving, but I wanted to share this one just because I love the color combo on it. That Purple Heart just pops.

New option available: engraving on the side edge of the board.
Due to size limitations of my engravers laser machine, this option can not be done on a board that's already in production, because it's too tall when turned on it's side/edge. So In order to accomplish this, the board will have to be custom ordered and I will have to know from the very beginning that you want engraving on the side.

Here is a large, solid walnut board with engraving on the side/edge.

8/20/20 New option available: epoxy filled custom engraving. If you want your custom laser engraving to be more bold, or give your engraving a pop of color, here's an option for you. I can have the board laser engraved with your text or logo of choice, then fill in the engraving with epoxy to give it color and make it stand out. Tons of colors available.

I made this board for my daughter because she wanted a "purple board", and used it as a test run for epoxy filling the laser engraving. It came out great, so I'm offering it as an option now.

To added laser engraving that is epoxy filled, it will be a
$50 option.
(That's $50 TOTAL for the engraving AND epoxy filling, NOT $50 added on top of the normal $25 engraving charge.) Now, I fully realize that seems super expensive for this small detail, but I can explain it. First, my engraver charges me by the minute of run time on the machine. When doing the epoxy fill, I tell my engraver ahead of time, and he runs the laser program 2-3x longer to achieve the depth in the wood required for epoxy filling. So the engraving itself costs me more. Second, I have to buy the epoxy material, which is an expensive material. Lastly, it takes a considerable amount of time to mix it up, pour, and then babysit it while it cures to make sure there are no bubbles. I don't expect a lot of people to utilize this option, but still want to offer it for those interested.

Another new option available: the highly requested blood/juice groove.

Due to the extra time involved in cutting and sanding the groove, this option will be $10 extra.

This one is just a one time deal I played around with, but not sure if I will be making any more like it. I just happened to have a mesquite cookie laying around, so I decided to turn it into a cutting board. It had some worm holes that I filled, and also has some natural spalting that looks pretty cool. I also added a thin juice groove.

Large maroon and white board with juice groove and laser engraving

Another new option available: end grain boards.

This was the first end grain cutting board I made. I had multiple colors of off-cuts from other projects that I had been saving up, and finally made them into an end grain board. I was trying to make the colors as random as possible. This one sold before I could even post it here.

This is the second end grain board I made. I wanted to try some new design elements, so It's all solid mahogany in a block pattern of different sizes. I also fabricated and installed some copper handles on the ends. It's got a juice groove on one side, but with the handles it can be easily flipped over And doesn't really have a "top" or "bottom" side. So you can cut on either side, depending on whether you need the juice groove or not.

If you read down through this thread and see some conversation about "steak plates", here is how they came out. They are roughly 10"x13", solid walnut, end grain construction, with juice groove and extra corner pocket reservoir on each one. These things are gorgeous, and should keep his high end steak knives sharp well into the future.

Another end grain board that just kind of happened. I didn't have a finished design in mind, just started cutting and glueing and ended up with this. It features, maple, cherry, and walnut offset checker pattern, surrounded by a Bloodwood border, and finished off with custom copper handles. Because of the offset checker pattern, and red accent border, it reminds me of a picnic blanket or table cloth. So I'm calling this design "The Picnic Table" board.

New product I'm offering: Charcuterie/serving boards. This one is a mix of cherry, mahogany, maple, and walnut. The serving area is approximately 18" x 10".

Two charcuterie/serving boards that are walnut and maple. The serving area is approximately 18" x 9".

Here are some more fun builds that don't necessarily fall into a specific category, but I still wanted to show them off.

This was a one off board that I made for my neighbor. He gave me a few oak slab pieces, so I turned one into a cutting board and gave it back to him as a gift. I will have a few more like this available at random times in the future, (as I get slabs) but cannot offer it full time right now. Another thing I wanted to show on this board was a different type of handles I used. These are are a much cheaper handle option than the copper ones posted above, and will only cost $10.

This was a really fun custom board. The customer wanted a cutting board that fit perfectly on his kitchen sink, and had a hole in it to allow the faucet to run while the board was in place. I also added a big juice groove and some recessed grab handles so it would be easy to get on and off the sink. The handholds also provide a place for juice to drain from the groove into the sink. It'a hard to get a scale for the size of this board, but it was the biggest one I've made so far, and dwarfed my large boards. It is solid maple edge grain.

This is a large solid cherry board with juice groove and copper handles.

This is a solid walnut square serving board with juice groove and extra large corner pocket reservoir.

And another large solid walnut with juice groove and engraving on the side.

Last update for 8/20/20. Introducing... the Texas Flag Board! This will be another new design option I'm offering. Can have the star with or without epoxy filling. Notes: the epoxy filling on these was supposed to be white, but came out more silver looking. I got a new epoxy pigment to try on future ones, in hopes of getting a better white. Also, the "red" section of the flag on the two with epoxy filling is mahogany, the red section on the one without epoxy is cherry. They come out very similar, but I can do either one of you have a preference.

THE FOLLOWING BOARDS ARE AVAILABLE FOR SALE.

Sorry, no boards currently available.

Location: I'm in Katy, but I drive all over the Houston area for work, so I'm willing to meet anywhere reasonable. I'm also willing to ship, but buyer pays whatever the actual shipping cost is.

Contact: Reply here or email me directly at ekuhrt at gmail dot com.
Vivificus
AG
Looks great, I don't need one, but we'll done
Viv
EOE
Can you add a juice trough to them?
SnowboardAg
AG
These are beautiful - you should consider reaching out to The Amish Craftsman and see if they would be willing to carry some in their store (even as a center piece on their tables). Owners of the store is an Aggie as well!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Nice work. I have the same knife set.
Chase
AG
Beautiful work drummer. We're working through unemployment for me for awhile right now or I might but the wife would probably kill me because we already have two higher end boards in the house. Some people like watches, I like knives and wood products. LOL
IWannaGoFast1
AG
They look great! You should laser/have someone laser them.

drummer0415
AG
EOE said:

Can you add a juice trough to them?

I can't add it to these boards, but this is something I'm looking into adding on some future builds.
drummer0415
AG
coleasterling said:

They look great! You should laser/have someone laser them. We have a VLS6.60 at the shop

Do you mean to engrave a logo of my own or to engrave somebody's name? That sounds super cool, but I'm not quite ready to make that kind of $$$ investment in equipment yet.
drummer0415
AG
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'm having knee surgery later this week so I have to take a little time off from working in my shop, but I'm hoping to crank out some more boards ASAP.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
MBUSA
Very nice work.
DallasAggie2012
AG
Wow those look great! Excellent work. I love that first board. Great prices too.
n_touch
Not to interfere with Cole and I do not know what town he is in. If you have someone that would like it engraved, I am in Cypress and have a laser as well. Feel free to pm me or email me.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
drummer0415
AG
n_touch said:

Not to interfere with Cole and I do not know what town he is in. If you have someone that would like it engraved, I am in Cypress and have a laser as well. Feel free to pm me or email me.

I'm actually very interested in this, and I'm in Katy so not too far. I would like to maybe have you do a board as an example and then I can offer it as an add on option to customers in the future. I'll shoot you an email.
dg77ag
AG
Email sent.
drummer0415
AG
Emailed replied.
Are they dishwasher safe?
drummer0415
AG
TEXIT said:

I'll be honest, I have no clue, but my gut instinct is probably not. I have not done any testing of that nature but I could I could try it out. At this point, however, I definitely recommend hand washing with light dish soap only.
meggy09
AG
drummer0415 said:

TEXIT said:

I'll be honest, I have no clue, but my gut instinct is probably not. I have not done any testing of that nature but I could I could try it out. At this point, however, I definitely recommend hand washing with light dish soap only.

Save you some trouble. The answer is absolutely not.
HoustonAg74
AG
Email sent, thanks!
Post removed:
by user
dg77ag
AG
Drummer 0145, your large cutting board was just delivered and it looks spectacular, you have a wonderful talent for creating, I love the different types of wood and the attention to detail, thanks again!
TombstoneTex
AG
Interested in the large cutting board if you make more! Great work.
Guitarsoup
AG
TEXIT said:

You shouldn't run any good cutting board through the dishwasher.

Wash by hand, dry right away.
drummer0415
AG
HYC_AG said:

Interested in the large cutting board if you make more! Great work.

Stay tuned! I have some more boards in the works right now that I'll be posting up as soon as I finish them, but they don't look exactly like that board specifically (several different sizes and styles). If you would like to wait and see if one of them suits you, then great. If you would like to order one that looks exactly like board #1 posted here, feel free to email me and I can get started on your order ASAP.
drummer0415
AG
Bump for huge update on 5-13-19. Email me with any questions or inquiries. Don't be afraid to request things that might seem outside of the box. I love tackling new ideas/challenges.
suburban cowboy
AG
I gave you the third blue-star. Good for a discount?
TombstoneTex
AG
Thanks for the great work and detailed updates throughout the process. It was fun working with you and I would recommend your work to anyone! Can't wait to pick up the board this week.
Know1
AG
Quality work brother. Looking forward to getting ours.
Reload8098
AG
Email sent
drummer0415
AG
I just want to make a correction real quick that I forgot to include in the update, but have added it now.

Engraving will be an additional $25 per board, for most graphics/text. If what you want engraved is exceptionally small or large, that number may change up or down.

Sorry for any confusion.
ls1aggie09
AG
Can vouch for this man's ability to handle his wood....at least when it comes to cutting boards
drummer0415
AG
ls1aggie09 said:

Can vouch for this man's ability to handle his wood....at least when it comes to cutting boards

Your mom can also vouch...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.