Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The difference between this season and other seasons

424 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by McKinney Ag69
BostonAg74
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Of all the Aggie traditions, Disappointment is probably the tradition that stands out during football season. We start out with high expectations, and then we are quickly brought down to earth by a lackluster performance in the first game, followed by inconsistent performance in the subsequent games.Those early season mistakes never seem to go away, and we spend the rest of the season wondering if the next game will be the one where the team finally pulls it all together. Probably not.

This season started out the same way it always has, so a lot of of us resigned ourselves to honoring the oldest of Aggie traditions: Disappointment. But things are different this year, almost imperceptibly so, but definitely different. All those stupid little mistakes and misplays that frustrate us all are slowly disappearing. Not all at one time, but according to a pattern. Coaches are getting more inventive. Players are more disciplined. Momentum is building. This team and these coaches are building something, and it's not an accident. Every week, the product is one step closer to the goal visualized by Coach Elko when he first took the job. All according to plan.

When I looked at the replay of the Missouri game, I didn't focus on all the things the team did right. I noticed the things they did wrong, and the fact that there were fewer of those mistakes than the week before. And looking back on it, I realized that this has been the case with every game: a slow but steady build toward the team that Elko envisions. I do not recall an Aggie season when I was so confident that the team that took the field for the next game would be better than the one that played the week before. It's fun to watch.
AG
The biggest difference is that this season is happening this year, and the other seasons happened in different years.
Farmer_J

Try to imagine this season, unburdened by what has been in previous seasons.

RC89
AG
Very well said!
I don't post much but I read almost everything. My take now is the first game, that put most of us in a place we have too often been, put our team in a really good spot. We learned to adapt and overcome adversity. Areas that were suspect improved, strong facets got better and we got experience and development at the most key position.
We should now go into this make or break month of October ever so slightly under the radar. Given the product that we saw on Saturday, we now only need small improvements each week to roll into November 8-1 and 1 more road win away from a playoff spot and a shot at the CCS.
All things considered, I like our odds.
McKinney Ag69
AG
Farmer_J said:

Try to imagine this season, unburdened by what has been in previous seasons.

Would you describe this season as being full of joy?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.