Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

UNLV QB quits on the season

6,712 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by Deputy Travis Junior
BMX Bandit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

College football is not serious from a governance view,
i think thats putting it very kindly.

its always been laughably terrible, now its close to non-existent due in large part to their own incompetence but also largely from getting hammered time and time again in court cases across the country
oneeyedag
In a similar way...mercenaries if your talents are worthy enough.

94chem
I'm fine with NIL as long as they charge athletes overhead, the same way research professors get charged. Most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Just remember that teaching isn't the primary job of a flagship university.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Kraft Punk
Can we pull weigman's nil so that he'll transfer?
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Panama Red said:

Respectfully, it's you who is not getting the argument being made. You are the one that appears to be playing games.

Not at all.

How anyone can say "it's not pay for play" and then state (multiple times) "he's mad he's not getting paid" and then quibble with someone who points out the folly of that argument is doing nothing more than gaslighting.

You are supremely naive if you think these kids aren't taking bids for payments. Yes, payments, not opportunities to realize some sort of windfall under the pretenses of the "name, image, and likeness" farce.

He calls my example of a body shop commercial a strawman….well, if not cash, what "opportunities" is he referring to?

He states "if actual pay for play existed, then someone paying him could make him play. he would not be allowed to just quit, or he'd have to pay money back."
A) that he views this situation and THAT is his takeaway astounds me. Common sense tells you that the check bounced (again, that's a euphemism, not a strawman for those of you being literal) and the kid is walking because he didn't get what he was promised. Which is the very definition of pay for play.
B) it assumes a contract was signed AND if it was, the kid and his handlers understood it. Regardless, a contract to play for a benefit is again, pay for play. He can parse it however he wants but it's completely obtuse to argue that it's not.
one safe place
Certain "representatives" lol.

Players that don't meet certain accomplishments should have to return part or all of their NIL money since they were obviously overpaid.
Texas A&M
Why don't we just skip to the next step..
- Pay every player
- Don't make them go to class
- Schools can sign deals with NFL teams to become their official minor league team.
Little Rock Ag
AG
Texas A&M said:

- Pay every player
- Schools can sign deals with NFL teams to become their official minor league team.
I agree. Let's end the hypocrisy and cut to the chase. This is no longer "college" football and I really don't know why we give 2 cents for the team that wears Texas A&M colors and logos. They do NOT represent our alma mater.
themissinglink
AG

TheRatt87
Game of chicken. UNLV is 3-0, has (had?) decent odds to be the G5 playoff team, averages 300ypg rushing, and this qb is the leading rusher (he's a lot like the K-state qb skill wise).

He feels he's not getting paid what was promised. After some discussion the school says sorry, but that's how it is. He says fine, I'll blow up the season.

Back story - After going 7-23 the previous 3 years & firing their coach, UNLV went 9-5 & played in the MW Champ game last yr in Odom's 1st year, and their freshman QB won newcomer of the year. That qb tranferred to USC after the season, which is why they got Sluka. Wonder how much last year's scenario is playing in to this. Odom has to be beside himself.

Iowaggie
AG
He still benefits from the school as he has the whole semester's tuition and expenses paid for, even though he made it through about one-third of the season.

I don't think the school should pay for the 2nd semester of tuition, but maybe they will.

The UNLV athletic department has not been relevant since Tark was there.
CC00
AG

Another view (predictable but not necessarily true - or not true)
This will unfold over the next few days
CC00
AG
CC00 said:

This seems to be getting shot down by players dad and others. Who knows
BMX Bandit
Texas A&M said:

- Pay every player

1 is coming
2 isn't really enforced now is it?
3 isn't something nfl wants
Beezy2389
AG
Please, please, please let the back up beat Fresno State and then publicly demand a dollar
ironmanag
AG
It's simple.

Stop this nonsense.

Offer these kids a full ride to get an education that includes room and board and an across the board 1500$ a month spending allowance.

That is more than a college kid needs and would easily cover Name and Likeness for the average college football player.
JJxvi
AG
Weird, this doesnt really make sense in a lot of ways.

I don't like how the transfer and redshirt rules apparently open this door for NCAA players to pull holdouts in the middle of a season or some garbage.
Panama Red
AG
This sums it up.

BMX Bandit
Quote:

Offer these kids a full ride to get an education that includes room and board and an across the board 1500$ a month spending allowance.

That is more than a college kid needs and would easily cover Name and Likeness for the average college football player.
that would take an act of congress to get around antitrust laws, and there isn't anyone on congress that looking to say a college player is limited to 1500 a month as their NIL equivalent.
agnerd
AG
Schools are not supposed to be involved with NIL. It's supposed to be a contract between the athlete and the sponsor.

QB made the mistake of signing with UNLV without the apparent NIL deal in writing contingent on his enrollment in UNLV. Will another coach sign him if they know he isn't smart enough to negotiate proposer NIL contracts and that he will hold the team accountable for his personal mistakes? Seems like the last guy you'd want on your team.

I'd love to see the NCAA require that all NIL deals are signed before a player signs with a school. IF a player's face is ACTUALLY that valuable, they should be able to get NIL deals without being associated with a particular school. If they can only get and NIL deal AFTER signing with a school, I'd argue that's not a real NIL deal and instead qualifies as pay for play.
Zachary Klement
AG
CC00 said:

Interesting deal. Seems pretty clear that one side is lying. Going to be fascinating to follow this story.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

QB made the mistake of signing with UNLV without the apparent NIL deal in writing contingent on his enrollment in UNLV.
dont know about nevada, but in texas and many other states that would be expressly prohibited by law
Falcon 1697
If I was a college kid, I would accept alternative forms of payment from Spearmint Rhino.
northeastag
AG
94chem said:

I'm fine with NIL as long as they charge athletes overhead, the same way research professors get charged. Most of you probably don't know what I'm talking about. Just remember that teaching isn't the primary job of a flagship university.
Well I, for one, don't have a clue. How does it work?
ironmanag
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

that would take an act of congress to get around antitrust laws, and there isn't anyone on congress that looking to say a college player is limited to 1500 a month as their NIL equivalent.
Include the scholarship and the room and board. Done.

A&M is roughly 15000 a semester That makes 165,000 NIL compensation per player. More than enough.
Max Power
AG
At first glance I figured this was a case of an entitled kid quitting on his team. But this is the current state of college athletics, you don't just commit to a school, or a coach, there's also some level of NIL agreement behind it all. If the agreement isn't met then someone out there needs to hold the school accountable, not just the athletes. This goes one of two ways - either the player or the school comes out looking bad. If the guy is proven to be wrong then he's not going to have the easiest time finding another school. If UNLV is proven to be in the wrong their entire athletic program will have issues finding athletes going forward.

Isn't this the whole reason Lagway ended up at Florida and not Arizona State? But I guess they failed to follow through before enrolling.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Include the scholarship and the room and board. Done.
still would require congress to change antitrust law and there is no one in congress that is looking to pass a law to limit NIL like you suggest.

right or wrong, like it or not, its just not realistically something that is on the table.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
The tail started wagging the dog as soon as the NIL stuff was created. Huge mistake.
Panama Red
AG
The agent's story:

Quote:

"When I had the conversation with the offensive assistant who was doing Matt's recruitment, we talked about a number north of $100,000 to $150,000," AGENT Cromartie said. "This was a number that I was told would be given to Matt to come there."

When Sluka still did not have a deal midway through training camp, according to Cromartie, he reached back out to UNLV to reopen negotiations.

"I reached out to the coaches halfway through camp," he said. "I reached out politely, 'Hey, I understand you guys are midway through camp. It's a quarterback competition, but the NIL agreement hasn't been sent out. Can we speak on this?'

"Nothing was said back for a couple of weeks ago. I approached them again. I said, 'Hey, you know what's going on?' I even offered to meet them halfway. I said, 'I understand that trying to get $100,000 within the next four months may be hard, but can we get him $10,000 a month?' They said, 'No.' I said, 'How about $5,000?' They came back with, 'We can give them $3,000 a month for the next four months. Take it or leave it.'"
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/agent-unlv-rebels-football-quarterback-matthew-sluka-verbally-promised-100k-nil-package/
ahpetty33
AG
ironmanag said:

It's simple.

Stop this nonsense.

Your preconceived notion of what a college player 'needs' is irrelevant, as has been reinforced in court over and over the past few years. The NCAA has been violating anti trust laws for decades and have brainwashed their viewer with the romanticized concept of "student-athlete".
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
So BMX, after seeing every Twitter link above, are you still asserting that I'm mistaken and this is anything other than "pay for play"?
Like I said, it was obvious from the get go what this was about.
greg.w.h
AG
94chem said:

Well…given that the university has traditionally kept more from college athletes (specifically football) and the House settlement proposes a $2.1 billion catch up payment for anti-trust infractions starting at the beginning of the statutory limitations window in 2016 and the damages are acknowledged by the NCAA and the schools. (I'll note not all potential plaintiff participants agree with the amount of money and it may overcharge lower division conferences/colleges, but that does not change the claim I made at all.)

The notion that in effect the teaching faculty gets treated equally is also false as you are aware. Engineering and hard sciences pay a higher tax for reasons you understand fully. It isn't fair. But colleges are financially essentially unstable and the federal government states the vast majority of the division of research dollars and they are accountable to taxpayers for apparent value.

The apparent value of sports, especially footballl, is not proportional to the demands of Title IX law. The public demands more football and men's basketball and draws advertiser dollars cashing in on that demand. That is WHY NIL for those sports and the House payments are disproportionate to, using previous terms in this discussion "what a student athlete needs."
NoahAg
Panama Red said:

The agent's story:

Quote:

"When I had the conversation with the offensive assistant who was doing Matt's recruitment, we talked about a number north of $100,000 to $150,000," AGENT Cromartie said. "This was a number that I was told would be given to Matt to come there."

When Sluka still did not have a deal midway through training camp, according to Cromartie, he reached back out to UNLV to reopen negotiations.

"I reached out to the coaches halfway through camp," he said. "I reached out politely, 'Hey, I understand you guys are midway through camp. It's a quarterback competition, but the NIL agreement hasn't been sent out. Can we speak on this?'

"Nothing was said back for a couple of weeks ago. I approached them again. I said, 'Hey, you know what's going on?' I even offered to meet them halfway. I said, 'I understand that trying to get $100,000 within the next four months may be hard, but can we get him $10,000 a month?' They said, 'No.' I said, 'How about $5,000?' They came back with, 'We can give them $3,000 a month for the next four months. Take it or leave it.'"
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/agent-unlv-rebels-football-quarterback-matthew-sluka-verbally-promised-100k-nil-package/
Sounds like the kid should fire his agent. Verbal agreement? LOL. Should have got it in writing before going to camp.

I'm sure UNLV deserves some blame too. But at the end of the day, kid, you played 4 years at Holy Cross and were fortunate to get a shot at UNLV. Now after this fiasco you're unlikely to get picked up by a decent team for 2025. All for $100K? Dumb.
BMX Bandit
$3 Sack of Groceries said:

So BMX, after seeing every Twitter link above, are you still asserting that I'm mistaken and this is anything other than "pay for play"?
Like I said, it was obvious from the get go what this was about.
It is painful clear you just refuse to read what i have posted.

I said from the get go in the initial post that started this thread he's not getting the NIL opportunities he was promised, and that means money. your continued attempts to distort what I have posted are going to be ignored. feel free to have the last word, I won't be reading it.
Someone is Quitting over not getting NIL????

THIS WAS PREDICTED BY SO MANY, ITS NO SURPRISE!! IT WILL HAPPEN MORE AND MORE OFTEN!!
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.