Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

UNLV QB quits on the season

6,708 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 22 min ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Panama Red
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
themissinglink said:

UNLv deserves to be dragged through the mud if they promised a certain $ that has not been met.

I have never seen him play a snap but I can't imagine other FBS teams are knocking on his door promising significant $. He was a pretty good FCS player but has a 44% completion pct on the year (and no games >50%).
Bud Elliott touched on this in a podcast.

If UNLV thought this kid was the reason for their success, they would have come up with the $85k somehow. A playoff spot is worth millions to the school.
The Dog Lord
AG
NoahAg said:

Panama Red said:

The agent's story:

Quote:

"When I had the conversation with the offensive assistant who was doing Matt's recruitment, we talked about a number north of $100,000 to $150,000," AGENT Cromartie said. "This was a number that I was told would be given to Matt to come there."

When Sluka still did not have a deal midway through training camp, according to Cromartie, he reached back out to UNLV to reopen negotiations.

"I reached out to the coaches halfway through camp," he said. "I reached out politely, 'Hey, I understand you guys are midway through camp. It's a quarterback competition, but the NIL agreement hasn't been sent out. Can we speak on this?'

"Nothing was said back for a couple of weeks ago. I approached them again. I said, 'Hey, you know what's going on?' I even offered to meet them halfway. I said, 'I understand that trying to get $100,000 within the next four months may be hard, but can we get him $10,000 a month?' They said, 'No.' I said, 'How about $5,000?' They came back with, 'We can give them $3,000 a month for the next four months. Take it or leave it.'"
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/agent-unlv-rebels-football-quarterback-matthew-sluka-verbally-promised-100k-nil-package/
Sounds like the kid should fire his agent. Verbal agreement? LOL. Should have got it in writing before going to camp.

I'm sure UNLV deserves some blame too. But at the end of the day, kid, you played 4 years at Holy Cross and were fortunate to get a shot at UNLV. Now after this fiasco you're unlikely to get picked up by a decent team for 2025. All for $100K? Dumb.
Yeah if this was a case of them having a verbal agreement that the collective is not honoring, then the student just learned a valuable lesson about getting things in writing from anyone who says they're going to pay you money.

This happens all the time in businesses that say they're going to give you a raise or give you a specific number but then try to actually give you a lower amount later on.
Kozmozag
His agent sucks, he should go after him.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Before UNLV QB Matt Sluka quitted on the season, 3-0 UNLV had good odds to be the Group of 5 playoff team because they have 2 road wins over Power 4 teams: 27-7 rout at Houston on 8/31 and a 23-20 win at Kansas on 9/13. UNLV is coming off a bye week and about to begin conference play and host Syracuse on 10/4. It sounds like Matt Sluka should fire his agent. He should have gotten an agreement in writing before camp. UNLV deserves some blame too, but Sluka played 4 years at Holy Cros and was fortunate to get an opportunity at UNLV. With this fiasco, Skula is unlikely to get picked up by a Power 4 team or even another Group of 5 team in 2025.

The new NIL rules, transfer portal, and conference alignments have turned major college sports into semi-professional leagues. The conference leaders are prioritizing TV network revenue over the welfare of athletes and fans. The athletes are no longer students, and college education has become an afterthought. Many traditions have been eliminated. Still, I will stay interested in the major Aggies sports until I die. My excitement level fluctuates, but I will never lose interest.
Matsui
AG
Not a chance
greg.w.h
AG
My dad played semi-pro baseball before college in Dallas in the late 50s. The college athlete experience is almost entirely professionalized except the traditional grants in aid didn't cover full cost of attendance and especially impacted lower income students whose parents couldn't afford frequent travel.

In addition: the work load and travel during the season has been reported as being roughly twice what non-athlete students on average put in.

Under the table payments also turned it into semi-professional ball as you are calling it before the real money started flowing into the schools. Both the Alston SCOTUS decision and the potential House settlement acknowledge anti-trust violations and states acted to liberalize student athlete monetization allowing them to make money like influences do.

I'm glad you're still supporting and enjoying our teams. They work harder than you give them credit for doing. And very few of them have time to earn degrees that support them if the like most students don't go professional in sports…

The jealousy and envy that drove athletes into shamateurism has always supported ridiculous greed by those who control amateur athletics. You will never find more corruption than the IOC and the cynically self-regulating FIFA…which overseas professional athletes equally greedily.
anaggieshusband
How about a full scholarship, with free housing and food and medical care for 6 years??? Sounds like a good deal.
Panama Red
AG
No surprise, the collective is denying all this. They really had no choice.

$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
BMX Bandit said:

$3 Sack of Groceries said:

So BMX, after seeing every Twitter link above, are you still asserting that I'm mistaken and this is anything other than "pay for play"?
Like I said, it was obvious from the get go what this was about.
It is painful clear you just refuse to read what i have posted.

I said from the get go in the initial post that started this thread he's not getting the NIL opportunities he was promised, and that means money. your continued attempts to distort what I have posted are going to be ignored. feel free to have the last word, I won't be reading it.

Of course you won't because despite all of your accusations that I'M wrong/mistaken/misunderstanding it's clear that you're the one who can't even keep your argument straight and are dying on your hill of obstinance.

In your own OP you wrote
"NIL is not "pay for play" but it's "you better pay what you said if you want me to play".

I responded saying NIL absolutley is pay for play and you went off the rails essentially responding "nuh uh!" and then proceeded to give nothing but examples of guys getting promised benefits for playing. If that's not pay for play, what is?!? How in the hell do you not understand that. You can nuance the hell outta what the benefits are but there is ZERO question that he was induced to play at UNLV for "benefits." Again, the picture book definition of pay for play.

I read every one of your retorts and you did nothing but consistently emphasize that fact that this unquestionably pay for play. You've got insiders on Twitter telling you that the dust up was over the amount paid….which is exactly what I told you it was (and anyone with any common sense and without an agenda obviously knew).

And now you're going to attempt to claim some sort of faux maturity bit and take your ball and go home? Give me a ****ing break.
Deputy Travis Junior
Oh no!! How will they ever replace a qb averaging 106 passing yards a game at a 43.8% completion rate!? This is a catastrophe!

(No, those dog **** statistics are not a typo.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.