Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

UNLV QB quits on the season

11,675 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 40 min ago by Who?mikejones!
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like it's becoming a trend.

BMX Bandit
So this appears to have been how it went down:

Assistant coach: "come to UNLV, we can get you $100k"

Sluka: "sounds great! Where do I sign?"

Assistant coach: "we don't want ncaa to know we use NIL promise to recruit, so nothing to sign"

Unlicensed agent: "that sounds smart. Sluka, you should take it. I won't get this confirmed with the collective actually paying"

Collective: *crickets*

Sluka "hey Coach, season started. Where's my money?"

Head coach: "what are you talking about? I never said you'd get $100k. You can get $3k like everyone else"

Collective: "we don't know anything about $100k"

Sluka: "Coach, we are 3-0! Just just give me my money! Or I'm leaving"

Head coach: "well, bye"
Seamaster
AG
Texas A&M said:

Why don't we just skip to the next step..
- Pay every player
- Don't make them go to class
- Schools can sign deals with NFL teams to become their official minor league team.

That's honestly preferable to what we have.

What we have is worse that the NFL.

We have paid players with no contracts that are free agents at all times.

The next shoe to drop is going to be guys "opting out" of the last 7-8 games of the season if their teams get off to a poor start and they can't make the playoffs.

BMX Bandit
Bear Alexander is a little different story.

His high school career was Terrell to Skyline to Denton Ryan to FW Brewer briefly but UIL says no, so goes to IMG

Then UGA, then USC.

He's a transfer hall of famer
Sea Speed
AG
He is the third one I've seen on Twitter, including another UNLV player.
BMX Bandit
I am not saying this is not a trend, it's definitely going to keep happening.

I'm just pointing out that bear Was likely transferring regardless. It's just what he does. He's mad about playing time, so his solution is to not play at all doesn't make much sense to me
The Collective
AG
To me, the most likely scenario is the assistant coach lied, therefore both the player and the collective are telling the truth. Kid and his family learned a lesson, but it is wrong if it went down the way I'm assuming.
Sea Speed
AG
I gotcha. Just thought it was interesting all three hit back to back to back.
BMX Bandit
It's the redshirt deadline, so they keep an eligibility year
Sea Speed
AG
I also get that, but the whole quitting on the team and transferring like this with an announcement is definitely a new phenomenon.
BMX Bandit
Without a doubt!

Divining Rod
1.Require allNIL deals to be in writing- even if $0 have that in writing.

2. Require all transfers sit out 1 year.

This would fix 95% of whats most wrong.
wangus12
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I am not saying this is not a trend, it's definitely going to keep happening.

I'm just pointing out that bear Was likely transferring regardless. It's just what he does. He's mad about playing time, so his solution is to not play at all doesn't make much sense to me

That's fine. But teams and more specifically the people (fans) who pay NIL money are going to be even more wary of paying a kid that is known to quit and leave the moment they don't get what they want.
Logos Stick
Divining Rod said:

Or, you are limited to one transfer. The transferring free for all is the root issue here.
Who?mikejones!
I don't necessarily disagree with the theory.

I also don't think the NCAA should just be forced to sit like a feckless turd letting the insane run the asylum all the while their product is killed.

The NCAA should have a contract that defines the terms. If a player want to pursue cash, they have every right to do so, just maybe not through the NCAA. Because there is no semi pro league of football, mostly because the NFL was smart enough to let the NCAA assume that role, this situation this situation affects college football the most.

we've somehow got to a *******ized version of "capitalism" more akin to some version of an oligarchy. It went from a good idea- letting players make money of their relative fame, to a terrible one of actually paying players to play, but without all the guardrails that exist in every other sports league.
AGSWON
AG
I want to see the whole dang UNLV team boycott the rest of the season. That would be great!!! Pay us X amount of dollars or we don't play at all. I could see that happening on a team headed to the playoffs with lots of leverage. Like one big Union.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

The NCAA should have a contract that defines the terms. If a player want to pursue cash, they have every right to do so, just maybe not through the NCAA.

If the NCAA says a player cannot get NIL money, then the NCAA would be in violation of the laws of many states as well as be facing a massive federal antitrust lawsuit that they'd lose.

What you were wishing for may be a good idea in theory, but it simply never going to happen in reality.
challenger21
AG
or he could get a degree and get a job and make money like the rest of us
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I also don't think the NCAA should just be forced to sit like a feckless turd letting the insane run the asylum all the while their product is killed.
Their product? Wtf are you talking about? The NCAA is a bloated parasite, and seeing it weakened is a delight.
TexasAggiesWin
S
The NCAA and schools now trying to put toothpaste back in the tube
Who?mikejones!
That's the problem. The NCAA should have that ability, per a contract that establishes the term of participation in their organization. If am athlete doesn't want to participate, they are more than free to find somewhere else that better fits their needs

And to be clear, I don't necessarily have any problem with a player seeking out money based on their own public profile. I don't think it's healthy or wise to simply have a environment without seemingly any rules.
Who?mikejones!
Yes, their product. That's what college sports traditionally were/are; a product of the NCAA.
Divining Rod
Logos Stick said:

Divining Rod said:

Or, you are limited to one transfer. The transferring free for all is the root issue here.
Yeah, but I think the sit-out would take care of a great deal. Especially if you coupled it with another restriction like maximum of 6 years to complete all eligibility, regardless of hardship, injury, or otherwise. That would give you a 2nd transfer in some cases, but generally not.
Tex117
AG
Divining Rod said:

Logos Stick said:

Divining Rod said:

Yeah, but I think the sit-out would take care of a great deal. Especially if you coupled it with another restriction like maximum of 6 years to complete all eligibility, regardless of hardship, injury, or otherwise. That would give you a 2nd transfer in some cases, but generally not.
so your answer is to restrict a kids freedom to try and get best deal for himself?

Nah. That's not the way.
zb008
This is why giving 18-year-olds money before they've proven a single thing on the field is a horrible idea. They can't even legally buy a drink, but they should get paid in some cases millions of dollars because some recruiting service gave them a high rating? I think that at some point enough BMDs will become fed up with the inevitable lack of ROI when it comes to their investments on these kids. This will lead to NIL funds drying up at a lot of places. One of the reasons why the NFL requires draft-eligible players to be three years removed from high school is because most 18-year-olds are very immature and also quite dumb.
Who?mikejones!
Do pro players get to up and leave whenever they want?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.