Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Conner is stil QB1

29,165 Views | 280 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by antman8504
Tanker123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The QB comparison is flawed. CW's bad game and average games are being compared to MR's stellar game.
taylorswift13_
CW's good game was 691 days ago and against an awful Ole Miss defense in a game which we lost because Weigman struggled on 6 straight drives when we couldn't move the ball… and also because it's Reed's only game started lol
Moe 92
AG
Magneto said:

Moe 92 said:

Reed did not look great in his time against McNeese, but he was lights out versus Florida and in the bowl game. Conner has looked very-good-to-great in most of his starts, but had a single bad game against Notre Dame. Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go ahead and trust the Elko and Collins to make the call rather than our resident geniuses here. I'm great with Reed starting if that's the call, but I also believe that if and when Conner earns the start again, they'll use Reed when warranted.

Starting a game the day of vs going in during garbage time are two different events in a young QB's head……..

Not sure I'm on the same page there. Are you saying a chance to play in garbage time would be demotivating? I would sure think if I'm QB2 and believe myself to be equal to or better than QB1, I'd be SUPER hungry for playing time. I'd see that garbage time as a chance to show out against lesser competition.

Now if you'd made a point that he was playing with the support of less experienced or inferior supporting teammates, or that he was the victim of (smartly) conservative play-calling to protect the lead and eat up clock, I guess I could see that. I did not go back and review the game, I can just say that when I watched his performance live I was not thinking "wow, this guy is far superior to Weigman and ought to be QB1". Specifically, it seems like I remember him missing some open receivers. Statistically - in that slightly more than half of a game against an FCS opponent - he was 5 of 11 for 71 yards passing, had 43 yards rushing, 0 touchdowns accounted for, and did not turn the ball over. Not a horrible day at the office, but not lights out, either.

My point is every quarterback will have great and terrible games in his career. If you're a decent coach you don't reverse course based on one game - good or bad. You look for the patterns and trends. If it were me - and thank God for all of us it isn't - I'd stick with Weigman but start frequently using Reed as a change-up to give defenses more to prepare for, provide a spark, motivate Weigman, maybe keep Weigman fresh, keep Reed sharp in case of a Weigman injury, etc. If after a few games Reed emerges as the more consistently good quarterback, then you flip QB1 / QB2.

Anyone remember a future Heisman winner and NFL starter being replaced as QB1 here because of a bad game or two and both him and his 5-star backup hitting the portal at the end of that season? That's what being a reactionary coach will get you.
MouthBQ98
AG
The second string QB on every team is the best player on the roster….
Logos Stick
Bryanisbest said:

Everybody on here was complaining how Conner throws to his first read or eats the football. Reed threw to his third option several times during that last game. Huge difference in the two.

Conner locks on his first option. He rarely if ever checks down. He throws off his back foot at least 50% of the time. And he's glass. He will get hurt again. I hate it for him, but he needs to concentrate on getting his degree. Every snap he takes is a valuable snap taken from Reed.
cevans_40
AG
Logos Stick said:

Bryanisbest said:

Everybody on here was complaining how Conner throws to his first read or eats the football. Reed threw to his third option several times during that last game. Huge difference in the two.

Conner locks on his first option. He rarely if ever checks down. He throws off his back foot at least 50% of the time. And he's glass. He will get hurt again. I hate it for him, but he needs to concentrate on getting his degree. Every snap he takes is a valuable snap taken from Reed.
Glad you know our route progression. Did Klein share it with you?
Logos Stick
cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

Bryanisbest said:

No, but I doubt every receiver is running to the same spot along the same path. If so, Klein has to go.
cevans_40
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

CW's good game was 691 days ago and against an awful Ole Miss defense in a game which we lost because Weigman struggled on 6 straight drives when we couldn't move the ball… and also because it's Reed's only game started lol
You just forget about his game vs LSU where his stat line was essentially the same as Reeds and that was against a significantly better team?
cevans_40
AG
Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

Logos Stick said:

Bryanisbest said:

No, but I doubt every receiver is running to the same spot along the same path. If so, Klein has to go.
So you don't know if he is going through any progressions or not. Got it
wangus12
AG
cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

You just forget about his game vs LSU where his stat line was essentially the same as Reeds and that was against a significantly better team?
Because we basically took the ball out of Weigman's hands and handed it to Achane 38 times. Not saying he didn't have a good game, but we won that game because of Achane
RogerTheShrubber
wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

Because we basically took the ball out of Weigman's hands and handed it to Achane 38 times. Not saying he didn't have a good game, but we won that game because of Achane

Sounds oddly familiar with what happened last weekend....
Before the world wide web, village idiots stayed in their own village...
Logos Stick
wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

Bingo. How anyone doesn't remember Achane in that game is beyond me.
RogerTheShrubber
Logos Stick said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

Bingo. How anyone doesn't remember Achane in that game is beyond me.

or the 315 yds rushing we had last weekend against a crappy FLA defense....
Before the world wide web, village idiots stayed in their own village...
Logos Stick
Wrong, it was 310. And Reed had 83 of them. That's 27%.
cevans_40
AG
wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

So Weigman goes 12/18 for 155 yards and 2 TDs and no INT's and its not comparable to to Reed going 11/17 for 178 yards and 2 TDs and no INT's?

Aggie Dad 26
cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

So Weigman goes 12/18 for 155 yards and 2 TDs and no INT's and its not comparable to to Reed going 11/17 for 178 yards and 2 TDs and no INT's?

Weigman has not been very good so far. He's had plenty of opportunities to prove his recruiting hype and has not lived up to it. That's OK. Just accept it and move forward
cevans_40
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

Weigman has not been very good so far. He's had plenty of opportunities to prove his recruiting hype and has not lived up to it. That's OK. Just accept it and move forward
Thats simply not true. He's had 1 bad performance
Bryanisbest
AG
Open your eyes and see perfect route read progression on Reed TD pass to 17 Orstrum. Threw to his third choice.
Aggie Dad 26
cevans_40 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

How many losses as a starter? Those are sub standard performances in my opinion
Moe 92
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

How many losses as a starter? Those are sub standard performances in my opinion
A loss is on the QB regardless of the play of the O-Line, defense, turnovers by your running backs, receiver drops, offensive scheme & play calling? Respectfully, this seems like kind of a lazy test to label a QB's play in a game as a sub-standard performance.
Logos Stick
cevans_40 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

No, he's had 1 absolutely terrible performance. The kind of performance that a kid who is a 5 star recruit and 3 years in should never have. Then coaches say his footwork was poor and needs work?!?! No, not this late into the game. His performance at Auburn before he got hurt and at Miami was not good.
oldschool87
AG
W**** got hurt in the ND game. It is very unfortunate to me that we didn't try Reed or Henderson in that game. Regardless if W**** was hurt or not. The fact he was hurt and finished the game, then had a week of rest and then was pulled...

I think that was the cover for playing Reed. Reed played the entire 2nd half, I think they knew then. I don't see W**** seeing the field this season unless he was actually hurt before the ND game and that was the reason for his WTF moment at QB.

Reed in this offense gives us a better chance to win. Unless, like I say he was hurt well before the ND game.
MaroonStain
AG
I cannot stand QB comparisons. I think Reese's gives us the best chance to beat Bowling Green. QB for Arkansas is next week S.

BTHObg
BraxtonW
AG
Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

No, he's had 1 absolutely terrible performance. The kind of performance that a kid who is a 5 star recruit and 3 years in should never have. Then coaches say his footwork was poor and needs work?!?! No, not this late into the game. His performance at Auburn before he got hurt and at Miami was not good.

His performance was not good at Auburn I'll give you that. Don't think many QBs would have had a fun time as a freshman in that situation. Your comment about not having a good performance at Miami has me confused though. I thought that was one of the better games he played.
Andyboyc94
V
greg.w.h
AG
Censor dumb nickname…ban post…exile poster…he already triggered the censorship repeatedly in fact.
Aggie Dad 26
Logos Stick said:

cevans_40 said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

cevans_40 said:

wangus12 said:

cevans_40 said:

taylorswift13_ said:

The people defending his performance simply don't get it. Great QBs, QBs that were highly recruited, and played like Heisman finalist, find ways to win games. When their team loses, they still look great out there.

Sadly, Weigman isn't "that guy"
greg.w.h
AG
I think as long as we lose games that even a decent coach would find a way to win, blaming the QB is self-delusion.
Aggie Dad 26
greg.w.h said:

I think as long as we lose games that even a decent coach would find a way to win, blaming the QB is self-delusion.

Manziel lost games, I blamed the coaches. I blame our coaches for the ND loss. Weigman was absolutely terrible and that's something even the biggest CW fan can't ignore.

Does this make sense?
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Conner Weigman has been just average against Power 4 teams. He is 5-4 as a starter but just 2-4 against Power 4 teams. If we exclude our home win over Auburn in which he left with a left ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, he is just 1-4 in games against Power 4 teams that he started and finished.

31-28 home loss to Ole Miss: 28/44, 338 passing yards, 4 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions
13-10 road loss at Auburn: 14/36, 121 passing yards, 1 touchdown, and 0 interceptions
38-23 home win over LSU: 12/18, 155 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions

48-33 road loss at Miami: 31/53, 336 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions
27-10 home win over Auburn: 8/14, 70 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions before injuring his left ankle in the 2nd quarter.

23-13 home loss to Notre Dame: 12/30 100 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions.

Statistically, Conner Weigman had his best performance against Power 4 teams during his freshman year with 7 touchdowns against 0 interceptions in 3 SEC games. Since his sophomore year, he has thrown 2 touchdowns against 4 interceptions in 3 games against Power 4 opponents, and he had his collegiate career worst performance against Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame has one of the nation's best defenses, but 13 points is the fewest we have scored in a home game since a 26-10 loss to Auburn on 11/7/15.

In contrast, Marcel Reed completed 11 of 17 passes for 178 yards, 10.47 yards per attempt, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions in his first collegiate start. He attempted only 17 passes because we had 55 rushing attempts for 310 rushing yards, 5.63 yards per carry. Also, Reed had 13 carries for 83 rushing yards, 6.4 rushing yards per carry, and 1 touchdown. Yes, Florida has one of the nation's worst defenses, but this was Reed's first collegiate start came in an SEC road game. Reed accounted for 261 total yards and 3 touchdowns and had no turnovers. As result, we dominated Florida from start to finish to snap a 10-game road losing streak and get our first road win since a 35-14 rout at Missouri on 10/16/21, 1064 days or 152 weeks prior.
Aggie Dad 26
Good stuff
BraxtonW
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Conner Weigman has been just average against Power 4 teams. He is 5-4 as a starter but just 2-4 against Power 4 teams. If we exclude our home win over Auburn in which he left with a left ankle injury in the 2nd quarter, he is just 1-4 in games against Power 4 teams that he started and finished.

31-28 home loss to Ole Miss: 28/44, 338 passing yards, 4 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions
13-10 road loss at Auburn: 14/36, 121 passing yards, 1 touchdown, and 0 interceptions
38-23 home win over LSU: 12/18, 155 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions

48-33 road loss at Miami: 31/53, 336 passing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions
27-10 home win over Auburn: 8/14, 70 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions before injuring his left ankle in the 2nd quarter.

23-13 home loss to Notre Dame: 12/30 100 passing yards, 0 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions.

Statistically, Conner Weigman had his best performance against Power 4 teams during his freshman year with 7 touchdowns against 0 interceptions in 3 SEC games. Since his sophomore year, he has thrown 2 touchdowns against 4 interceptions in 3 games against Power 4 opponents, and he had his collegiate career worst performance against Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame has one of the nation's best defenses, but 13 points is the fewest we have scored in a home game since a 26-10 loss to Auburn on 11/7/15.

In contrast, Marcel Reed completed 11 of 17 passes for 178 yards, 10.47 yards per attempt, 2 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions in his first collegiate start. He attempted only 17 passes because we had 55 rushing attempts for 310 rushing yards, 5.63 yards per carry. Also, Reed had 13 carries for 83 rushing yards, 6.4 rushing yards per carry, and 1 touchdown. Yes, Florida has one of the nation's worst defenses, but this was Reed's first collegiate start came in an SEC road game. Reed accounted for 261 total yards and 3 touchdowns and had no turnovers. As result, we dominated Florida from start to finish to snap a 10-game road losing streak and get our first road win since a 35-14 rout at Missouri on 10/16/21, 1064 days or 152 weeks prior.

Good work with the stats. I think we need more of a sample size to really see Marcell. He played against a very very bad Florida team. Should learn more this week and next week
Aggie Dad 26
BraxtonW said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

Good work with the stats. I think we need more of a sample size to really see Marcell. He played against a very very bad Florida team. Should learn more this week and next week

Thats currently up on the road by 2 touchdowns against Mississippi St
BraxtonW
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

BraxtonW said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

Yes, Mississippi State. I would hope they were up on Mississippi state. They are a whole different level of bad
Aggie Dad 26
BraxtonW said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

BraxtonW said:

Iraq2xVeteran said:

Yes, Mississippi State. I would hope they were up on Mississippi state. They are a whole different level of bad

So Florida is "very very bad"

Is Misissippi St "very very very bad"

Oh... make that 3 touchdowns

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.