Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Conner is stil QB1

29,086 Views | 280 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by antman8504
Gyles Marrett
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wabs said:

Reed is a playmaker. With the state of our OL, he gives us the best chance to win games. Clearly he should be QB1.
This isn't last year, our OL has looked pretty damn good. They just pushed a giant DL up and down the field in the rain in FL and gave Reed a lot of time to throw.
94chem
If you want to see Reed, just put CW out there. Reed will likely be out there by the end of the game.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ViewFromTheSidelines
It's a little crazy that we are even discussing this after Florida game.
Bill Superman
AG
vander54 said:

If Conner is close to 100% I have no issue starting him with a short leash.
I agree with this. Don't put CW out there until he is 100%. Meanwhile learn some more about Reed.

But once he is 100%, he'll likely be given the start but should be on a short leash. Maybe the pressure brings that 5* talent out of him.
Gyles Marrett
ViewFromTheSidelines said:

Not really, FL was really bad. Look at the week prior. Each got a half, Conner looked great, Reed looked meh.

I don't expect Conner to be healthy this week and Reed will play so getting to see another game of what we have in Reed would be nice.
AgLA06
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

BostonAg74 said:

The coaching staff could make a lot of this potential controversy go away by simply doing the right thing, and I think they will. They should not play Connor until his shoulder is completely healed. That is the right thing for Connor and the right thing for the team. In the mean time, they will be able to find out if Reed is the real deal or just a flash in the pan. If there is an opportunity to get Henderson some reps, even better. When Connor's shoulder is healed, it will be easier to make the call either for or against Reed. Be patient. A lot of things can happen in the next few weeks. Reed is skinny as a rail and about to go into an SEC schedule. We may end up playing everybody in the QB room.

Agree completely.

Let Conner heal up - even if you DO still think he's the starter, give Reed this week to see if he can run the offense and repeat what he did last week (or improve), or if he suddenly falls down to a level that suggests this past weekend was just an outlier.

Yep. There's a lot of people on this thread that think they are a lot smarter than they are. And it shows.
AgLA06
AG
LB12Diamond said:

vander54 said:

Why?

I'll tell why I would have an issue with it. Play calling and playbook. Klein did not use it all with CW. He did with Reed. Looked like his offense at K State.

I have several other areas as well but just this one alone makes it an obvious choice.

That being said. I will be surprised if Reed is not the starter Saturday.
And yet Reed wasn't the starter because the coaching staff didn't think he was better than Conner. Maybe he is now, but to just make a decision that puts your starter one foot out the door to appease a fan base isn't very smart.
offenseguru
AG
I agree. It's still his job but there's got to be high production.
Sterling82

It's because one game isn't the entire picture. If it was, Lagway would be the starter for UF and Mertz would never see the field again. And how popular would that be for all the "experts" to watch Lagway struggle in numerous games going forward. Reed has shown a lot in two of three games but if the coaches believe Weigman gives us the best chance to win against the better competition ahead, there has to be a basis for it. I know that gets in the way of the Weigman hate because he had a terrible game against ND…we all saw that. But I'm willing to let it play out. Whoever plays, I'm not in the mood for a 500 season because we just need either QB to get more experience.
Whaler
AG
Isn't it an unwritten rule among coaches and players that the starter doesn't lose his position over an injury?
I'd rather see Reed start, but if Weigman is 100% I can see the coaches starting Weigman. I don't mean to throw shade at Weigman, but Reed has been impressive.
"Son, you've obviously been concentrating too much on one subject!" -- Shelby Metcalf to a basketball player upon reviewing his official grade report containing one "D" and the rest "F's"
Slicer97
AG
Ask Drew Bledsoe.
duddleysdraw88
AG
AgLA06 said:

LB12Diamond said:

vander54 said:

Why?

I'll tell why I would have an issue with it. Play calling and playbook. Klein did not use it all with CW. He did with Reed. Looked like his offense at K State.

I have several other areas as well but just this one alone makes it an obvious choice.

And yet Reed wasn't the starter because the coaching staff didn't think he was better than Conner. Maybe he is now, but to just make a decision that puts your starter one foot out the door to appease a fan base isn't very smart.

Appeasing a fan base would be utter stupidity!

But if a coach is forced to make decisions to appease big donors and NIL, that would be equally as stupid!

Luckily, the stars aligned for Reed and he got his shot.

Luckily for the fans too, that won't have to witness another week 1 type of downright pitiful QB play.

The job is now Reed's to lose!

*** I will repeat this point……… watch closely how the team interacts with each other on the sidelines.
The Marksman
AG
It would be coaching malpractice not to start Marcel
Hill08
goosespn said:

Hill08 said:

"If" Reed stays healthy all year, CW has played his last game as an Aggie.
Weigman is gonna start next year at Sam Houston.

He needs a change of scenery, for sure
Wabs
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Wabs said:

Reed is a playmaker. With the state of our OL, he gives us the best chance to win games. Clearly he should be QB1.
This isn't last year, our OL has looked pretty damn good. They just pushed a giant DL up and down the field in the rain in FL and gave Reed a lot of time to throw.
We're going to face much better defensive fronts. Reed has much more ability to move the pocket or scramble and make plays. He provides a running threat that defenses have to respect. I agree the OL is better than the past couple of years, but they are still mediocre at best.
94chem
Whaler said:

Isn't it an unwritten rule among coaches and players that the starter doesn't lose his position over an injury?
I'd rather see Reed start, but if Weigman is 100% I can see the coaches starting Weigman. I don't mean to throw shade at Weigman, but Reed has been impressive.

What about 3 injuries? Or 4? What's the unwritten rule there?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ViewFromTheSidelines
Gyles Marrett said:

Not really, FL was really bad. Look at the week prior. Each got a half, Conner looked great, Reed looked meh.

I don't expect Conner to be healthy this week and Reed will play so getting to see another game of what we have in Reed would be nice.
The week before we played McNeese, which was 10x worse than Florida. No way you don't start Reed, no way.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG

Gyles Marrett said:

The week before we played McNeese, which was 10x worse than Florida. No way you don't start Reed, no way.
they both featured td passes where there wasn't a defender anywhere near the reciever.
Meanmachine
AG
My understanding is Reed has received all the first team reps in practice the last two weeks. Very few Pro QBs can not practice and perform at a high level. If Weigman doesn't practice you can't play him. Reed has taken advantage of his chance and that is what you want.
LB12Diamond
AG
AgLA06 said:

LB12Diamond said:

vander54 said:

Why?

I get why Conner got the initial start. And it was not to appease the fan base. LOL

As I also pointed out Klein did not run all his offense with CW. This is a problem. If it was bc they were using kid gloves bc he's coming off the injury in the first game. And the second game he had another injury in his shoulder.

I also think Reed is starting so not really getting bent out of shape on this one.
StinkyPinky
AG
For conversation sake - even if Weigman plays at a high level when he goes back out there for a game or two and then gets hurt again (and misses a game or two), how long do you let the cycle go on? I would think it ultimately would prove to be a negative for the other offensive players and play calling due to lack of consistency. I am not ready to say Weigman can't win on this team, but I do have concerns that he can't stay healthy. I'd rather go with consistency with what appears to be a good fit (Reed) and continue to gain momentum as we head into the toughest part of our schedule.
Bryanisbest
AG
Is Elko having to make good on a promise he made to Conner before the Fla game?
Aggie Dad 26
goosespn said:

Hill08 said:

"If" Reed stays healthy all year, CW has played his last game as an Aggie.
Weigman is gonna start next year at Sam Houston.

Or Arkansas
ViewFromTheSidelines
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Gyles Marrett said:

they both featured td passes where there wasn't a defender anywhere near the reciever.
It's an SEC team. I don't think it's the same.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Conner did not look "great" against McNeese.

I'm not sure why people keep saying this.

He had great stats, but IMO he didn't give reason to believe he was that much better than the week before.
Heineken-Ashi
Ragnar Danneskjoldd said:

Gyles Marrett said:

they both featured td passes where there wasn't a defender anywhere near the receiver.
Reed hit one after going through the full route tree and hitting the 4th read, and the second TD he rolled to the left, squared his body, and threw downfield hitting the guy in stride.

Both of those plays were anything but easy and highlighted features from Reed that we haven't seen from of Conner, who seems to need his first read to turn around and look at him before he throws.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
tjack16
AG
Ags2013 said:

HeyAbbott said:

The ideal scenario would be to rest Weigman this week and play Reed at home to get another game experience before our upcoming SEC games. Then hopefully Weigman will be healthy enough by the Arkansas game to give us 2 QBs to utilize as needed.
If you have two QBs, you have zero QBs

Just ask Bama when they had Tua and Jalen Hurts.
Logos Stick
vander54 said:

Good thing you are not the coach then!
The Porkchop Express
AG
vander54 said:

Bowling Green Depth Chart has him as the starter. So now we wait to see if he's still injured.

antman8504
AG
Sorry Connor, sometimes you play one game so badly that you lose your spot. Our offense never had the flow against a power 5 as it did against Florida with Connor at the helm either.

The offense has only looked GREAT twice since 22. Florida and Miss st last year.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Conner is QB1 on the depth chart regardless of who's actually playing. Making Reed 1 on the depth chart makes no sense.
Gig em G
AG
Meanmachine said:

My understanding is Reed has received all the first team reps in practice the last two weeks. Very few Pro QBs can not practice and perform at a high level. If Weigman doesn't practice you can't play him. Reed has taken advantage of his chance and that is what you want.

Listen to Elko after the Florida game. He said Reed and Weigman split reps with the first team essentially evenly.
ElephantRider
AG
Wabs said:

I'm by no means advocating for CW to start, but Reed is going to get hurt running as much as he did against Florida. That kid is skin and bones.
texag101
tjack16 said:

Ags2013 said:

HeyAbbott said:

The ideal scenario would be to rest Weigman this week and play Reed at home to get another game experience before our upcoming SEC games. Then hopefully Weigman will be healthy enough by the Arkansas game to give us 2 QBs to utilize as needed.
If you have two QBs, you have zero QBs

Just ask Bama when they had Tua and Jalen Hurts.
Or the current #1 team in the country.
TexasAggie81
HeyAbbott said:

I don't want Weigman to start … ever.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.