Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

It's a lot easier when you stop caring.

5,310 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Magneto
Stmichael
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I used to be the very in depth A&M football fan. I knew the whole 2 deep roster, watched all the show/podcast clips about A&M and our opponents, followed recruiting, the whole thing. But after my wife and I had our first baby a year ago, I took a step back from this constant source of disappointment known as A&M football and began looking at it differently. It's a game that I haven't played in 20 years being played by a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who have a passing relationship to my alma mater and the student body at best. Nothing I do will impact the game, and the end result of the game will only impact my mood if I let it.

So we made no progress on offense and lost a home opener? Meh, not terribly surprising. Frees up a lot of time on my Saturdays this fall.
McKinney Ag69
AG
You just described my life and circumstance to a T. Once NIL started and my wife and I had our baby a year ago, my level of caring went through the floor. The only recruit I can name from this last class is Bussey. It's pretty freeing. First year with zero expectations.

I will certainly watch, but I won't get emotionally invested during the game and let it ruin my weekend. Definitely not shelling out a grand for tickets, travel, food and hotel.
203Raggie
AG
Or…. You can enjoy something and not let it control your emotions. I was at the game. I listen to TexAgs daily. I know who's on the team and where they're from.

And my wife and I had a blast at the game. In games like that, someone had to lose. And it was us this time.

I was also happy with what I saw from mostly everyone not playing QB last night.
StinkyPinky
AG
I bet you'd be even more happier if you didn't come on to TA at all to tell us how you don't care anymore. Sounds kind if contradictory but hey, no harm no foul. I'm okaying with caring. So would rather converse with like minded people being a fan site and all.
Ags2013
AG
203Raggie said:

Or…. You can enjoy something and not let it control your emotions. I was at the game. I listen to TexAgs daily. I know who's on the team and where they're from.

And my wife and I had a blast at the game. In games like that, someone had to lose. And it was us this time.

I was also happy with what I saw from mostly everyone not playing QB last night.

This. I still had an awesome time. Sure it's a bummer we lost but it certainly didn't ruin my weekend.
BTHOB-98
I did this after I lost my season tickets with the stadium rebuild. I was pretty angry at the 12th man foundation about that. It easier just to focus on productive things like family and career.
nothingbutlove
I let go years ago.

But yesterday still shocked me.

johnnyblaze36
AG
203Raggie said:

Our leading receiver had 31 yards and our leading running back averaged 3.5 yards per carry. Not great.
Squadron7
AG
In the era of NIL, football is just TV. Watch when it good. Forego it when it is not.

QCAg93
AG
I think the early to mid 1990's classes have had the hardest time accepting the reality of modern Aggie football. We thought it would last forever. I am also a recovering Aggie Battered Syndrome former student. I watch the games occasionally and go outside to cut the grass with scissors to kill some time or paint a post to watch it dry when it doesn't look good.
AG
203Raggie said:

In games like that, someone had to lose. And it was us this time.

This time?

Here's the problem. If we won most of these types of games, and we lost this time, your points are valid.

But we almost never win these games. We lose virtually every time they're played.
Bill Superman
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

I did this after I lost my season tickets with the stadium rebuild. I was pretty angry at the 12th man foundation about that. It easier just to focus on productive things like family and career.
Career? How much were you drinking on Saturdays?
Eso si, Que es
johnnyblaze36 said:

203Raggie said:

Our leading receiver had 31 yards and our leading running back averaged 3.5 yards per carry. Not great.
If Conner connects on a few early passes, the running game opens up. There is one glaring issue with this team and the rest are just adjustments you make every game, especially the first game of the season
dreyOO
I hear you OP. I'm nowhere near as passionate as I once was. Otoh, I still want my kids to go to A&M so I took them to the game to catch the spirit. Was pleased with what the students looked like and sounded. Although, my wife told me she ran into a bunch of them drunk from day drinking, my kids were too young to understand.

Anyhow, the loss didn't even phase me. We had plenty of opportunities but pulled the typical Aggie game of "if only we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot 15x "

I'll still support and love them. But much lower expectations
Dan Scott
AG
Really stopped caring when they became the College Station Aggies.
fulshearAg96
AG
Im somewhere in the middle… could give two shts about what players coming or going… Yes NIL sucks and we feel like we've lost loyalty…

but it is hard to beat a good tailgate and game at Kyle Field!!!!!!
MSCAg
AG
Pretty same as the OP. Lord in college I followed it all. But the don't get high expectations.

Coaches are overpaid and it's too even a field these days. Just root for them and then shrug when they lose.
_______________________________________________________ O Fortuna, velut Luna, statu variabilis, semper crescis, aut decrescis;
MisterJones
AG
I'm just happy college football is back
rootube
AG
Remember, when you stop caring about Aggie football you don't run to Texags to post on the football forum just how much you stopped caring. This is the behavior opposite of what someone who stopped caring looks like. Also, watching the game is another indication of caring. Just in case you need more examples of what caring about something looks like.
Tex117
AG
So you became a functioning adult?

This is thread worthy?
annie88
AG
Yeah, you felt the need to come here. Whine about it. Be a little baby, virtue signal and tell everybody You're not gonna watch A&M football anymore. Just go. No one gives a **** whether you watch football or not. God, we have so many ******* bleeders all over this board tonight.

Too many people thinking too highly of themselves. Get over it.

Go enjoy your Saturdays. Just quit posting here too. Why don't you. Good God grow a pair.
TMF
AG
I would be happy if the head coach wasn't loyal to garbage he inherited. That hot garbage didn't get better and make that change and we have a chance to win.
Bosco
AG
Same but my level of interest in football overall is declining over the years. Used to want to see the pregame, postgame and everything in between. Now I tuned in after 4-5 plays into the first quarter because I was making food for my wife. In the past I would've just hurried through and ran upstairs to watch.

Pro football is even more so …love the cowboys but now….eh, I see them and the Texans as the same team pretty much.

Plus I don't work with any annoying fans of other schools so I'm good there too.
Ghost91
Threads like this are as predictable as the pre-season hype threads and the 'F this sh*~ I'm outta here posts on the Game One threads.

Same thing every year:
- July/August - have a good feeling about this team and our chances!
- During Game One - God we suck, not another dime!
- The day after - I stopped caring and life is good. Hug your kids and mow the grass on Saturdays.

Rinse & repeat.
fightintxaggie10
AG
Two things:

1.) Not all players have a "passing relationship" with the university. Have you seen Von Miller? He's a walking ad for Texas A&M

2.) If us losing our opener just freed up your Fall Saturdays, then you sir, are still hooked on Aggie Football because that's a big emotional response to losing.
girlfriend_experience
Stmichael said:

nm
girlfriend_experience
Ghost91 said:

Threads like this are as predictable as the pre-season hype threads and the 'F this sh*~ I'm outta here posts on the Game One threads.

Same thing every year:
- July/August - have a good feeling about this team and our chances!
- During Game One - God we suck, not another dime!
- The day after - I stopped caring and life is good. Hug your kids and mow the grass on Saturdays.

Rinse & repeat.
LMAO its like fing clockwork you can set your watch to these threads every year.
cheeky
AG
As a decades long sufferer of BAS, my journey to AFS (Aggie Football Sobriety) was long and painful, but I've arrived. Last year I set zero expectations, and they were met. This is now the way. I've got better things to do with money and time, and I'll participate when and how it suits me. It's actually quite liberating and much more healthy.
203Raggie
AG
4 said:

203Raggie said:

This time?

Here's the problem. If we won most of these types of games, and we lost this time, your points are valid.

But we almost never win these games. We lose virtually every time they're played.

Jeez. Why do you watch if you can't emotionally handle the possibility of losing a close game to a top 10 team?

Growth is happening within the program. It will not be immediate. But if you can't see the growth in the team from last year to last night, you're not watching close enough.
sbag
AG
College football is not what it once was. It's become very mercenary, like every other sport. I have too many important and interesting things going on in my life to care all that much. I enjoy watching, but getting invested more than a few hours 12 or 13 weekends each fall is something I wouldn't be willing to do.
Bosco
AG
203Raggie said:

4 said:

203Raggie said:

This time?

Jeez. Why do you watch if you can't emotionally handle the possibility of losing a close game to a top 10 team?

Growth is happening within the program. It will not be immediate. But if you can't see the growth in the team from last year to last night, you're not watching close enough.

Member that time Sherman lost to Arkansas St and it was ok because they had "two first round draft picks at DT?" I'm still laughing about that one.
HollywoodBQ
AG
cheeky said:

As a decades long sufferer of BAS, my journey to AFS (Aggie Football Sobriety) was long and painful, but I've arrived. Last year I set zero expectations, and they were met. This is now the way. I've got better things to do with money and time, and I'll participate when and how it suits me. It's actually quite liberating and much more healthy.
Congratulations!

I've got my 16 year chip.

And I owe a huge credit to Coach Dennis Franchione.

I've attended more than 100 Texas A&M Football Games including probably 20 losses on the road.

It was Fran's masterful coaching at Blacksburg, Boulder, Miami and of course the 2006 Holiday Bowl that really helped me get clean and sober on Aggie Football.

JFF was exciting but thankfully, Jimbo arrived just in time to keep me from falling off the wagon and starting to give an unhealthy amount of a damn. Appalachian State was a great reminder to stay sober.

I still support the Aggies and want to them to win but I'm not allowing my blood pressure to rise over it at all.
WC94
AG
Preach brother! Not sure if it's my age or mileage, but I was emotionally distant on this game. Still care enough to post about it though...
VatoLocoAggie
AG
I love Texas Aggies football. It's my life.
robcovol
As I get older, my life is less stressful because I have abandoned my addiction to the Aggies and the Cowboys. I still follow and watch them, but it's no longer a life or death situation. There's more losing and disappointment, but the losing far outweighs the winning for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.