Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

It's a lot easier when you stop caring.

5,383 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Magneto
The Agly Duckling
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

It's a lot easier when you stop caring.

I'll never stop caring.
Buford T. Justice
AG
It simply does not matter.
Do I watch? Occasionally.
Why do I visit TexAgs? Mainly for politics, but just to see what's going on.
Am I not a proud Aggie? Sure I am. I've just seen this show enough times to know that Lucy always pulls the football away from Charlie Brown.
Stormchaser
AG
The problem of always supporting a team "no matter what", is you are keeping a mediocre program in the black financially. When LSU and nearly any other successful program quit putting enough butts in the seats at games they move on. LSU won it all in 2019 and fired Orgeron midway through 2021 a day after a win over ranked Florida. There isn't all this hand wringing and hopes for it to improve. We have this "don't be a 2% er" mentality and hiss instead of boo when something is wrong. Fans here keep buying tickets to the games and all the other stuff that goes with that. This culture isn't going to change, of course, so quit your *****in'. Fortunately it's a great school for learning stuff and going on to make a good life for a family. But football? You won't see my butt in a seat, (or even worse,standing,) Now baseball? Yeah, I will be there with a new bubble gun.
LB12Diamond
AG
It's a lot easier when you have the emotional intelligence to place sports in the proper perspective.
Maroon Dawn
AG
203Raggie said:

Or…. You can enjoy something and not let it control your emotions. I was at the game. I listen to TexAgs daily. I know who's on the team and where they're from.

And my wife and I had a blast at the game. In games like that, someone had to lose. And it was us this time.

I was also happy with what I saw from mostly everyone not playing QB last night.

This is where we are now

"A&M football weekend: Come for literally everything else BUT the product on the field!"

And this is why nothing will ever change. They can just sell you on the nostalgia and pageantry while the coach refuses to pull a QB who is puking and can't complete a 5 yard pass
Furlock Bones
AG
Same. I want to see us win. But am apathetic to losses. Still shocked by just how terrible Weigman was.
dcg4403
AG
Be are just lying to urself?

I admire that attitude and am attempting to adopt it this season, especially after that Game 1.

I am getting there....just more of a 30 year slow burn for me.

Ok, I made my 3 posts/week limit for this week in less than 20 minutes. So I am now out.

Hopefully I see more positive threads after next Sat!
Rule#2
AG
My favorite part of the year is when people come on to an Aggie football message board to tell people to stop caring about Aggie football
Jack Boyett
AG
THINGS ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE UNTIL "WE" STOP ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITY!!!!!!!!!

LOL
oldcrow91
AG
LB12Diamond said:

It's a lot easier when you have the emotional intelligence to place sports in the proper perspective.

Exactly. My weekends used to be all footbalI. Now I enjoy seeing A&M football employees winning but it doesn't bother me as much now if the other team's employees win. Saturdays are great and Sundays are awesome now that I never watch NFL.
Ghost91
203Raggie said:

4 said:

203Raggie said:

In games like that, someone had to lose. And it was us this time.

This time?

Here's the problem. If we won most of these types of games, and we lost this time, your points are valid.

But we almost never win these games. We lose virtually every time they're played.

Jeez. Why do you watch if you can't emotionally handle the possibility of losing a close game to a top 10 team?

Growth is happening within the program. It will not be immediate. But if you can't see the growth in the team from last year to last night, you're not watching close enough

I've been waiting for this one. "Growth". Another vague and unquantifiable explanation (excuse).

And one we've heard a thousand times before. "Growth…"Culture"…"Bare Cupboard"…"Discipline"…"Development"…"Buy-in"….

Meanwhile, a dozen other programs have gone from national contender to garbage and back to national contender again in the 20+ YEARS that we've been wallowing in mediocrity.

I have every reason to believe that Nebraska will be in, then out, and then back in the Top Five before we crack the Top Ten.
203Raggie
AG
Ghost91 said:

203Raggie said:

4 said:

203Raggie said:

In games like that, someone had to lose. And it was us this time.

This time?

Here's the problem. If we won most of these types of games, and we lost this time, your points are valid.

But we almost never win these games. We lose virtually every time they're played.

Jeez. Why do you watch if you can't emotionally handle the possibility of losing a close game to a top 10 team?

Growth is happening within the program. It will not be immediate. But if you can't see the growth in the team from last year to last night, you're not watching close enough

I've been waiting for this one. "Growth". Another vague and unquantifiable explanation (excuse).

And one we've heard a thousand times before. "Growth…"Culture"…"Bare Cupboard"…"Discipline"…"Development"…"Buy-in"….

Meanwhile, a dozen other programs have gone from national contender to garbage and back to national contender again in the 20+ YEARS that we've been wallowing in mediocrity.

I have every reason to believe that Nebraska will be in, then out, and then back in the Top Five before we crack the Top Ten.

Just go touch some grass big guy. Maybe take the next two weeks off. If you don't enjoy it, don't partake. When enough people stop watching, something's gonna happen. Might not be the result you want.

You've also seen teams like LSU go through a coaching change that takes years to take fruition.

Or look at LSU in 22. They lost their opening, looked bad doing it, then got throttled by Tennessee. Looked better as the season went on. Won the west. Then got throttled by us.

Progress isn't linear. Just relax and have fun.
zephyr88
AG
I start every year with excitement. It usually lasts until October, then the disappointment arrives. I guess it will be easier this year since the disappointment came in Week 1. If we were somehow the victim of bad luck and our opponent just squeaked one out, I'd feel different. However, there was nothing I saw on Saturday that would give me hope that the loss was a fluke and somehow we'll scrap our way into the Top 12. We'll get our 6-6 or 7-5 and get another December bowl game on a Tuesday, but once again... this is another 'developmental year' for us.

Gig 'em.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Stmichael said:

I used to be the very in depth A&M football fan. I knew the whole 2 deep roster, watched all the show/podcast clips about A&M and our opponents, followed recruiting, the whole thing. But after my wife and I had our first baby a year ago, I took a step back from this constant source of disappointment known as A&M football and began looking at it differently. It's a game that I haven't played in 20 years being played by a bunch of 18-22 year old kids who have a passing relationship to my alma mater and the student body at best. Nothing I do will impact the game, and the end result of the game will only impact my mood if I let it.

So we made no progress on offense and lost a home opener? Meh, not terribly surprising. Frees up a lot of time on my Saturdays this fall.

I agree. We are on our way to year 85 of mediocrity, so no reason to get upset or expect more. After 3-4 years we'll can Elko and his staff, and start over again..... our typical wash, rinse, repeat cycle. Move along folks...... nothing to see here.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
FarmersFight95
AG
QCAg93 said:

I think the early to mid 1990's classes have had the hardest time accepting the reality of modern Aggie football. We thought it would last forever. I am also a recovering Aggie Battered Syndrome former student. I watch the games occasionally and go outside to cut the grass with scissors to kill some time or paint a post to watch it dry when it doesn't look good.

Blue star for you, sir. You are exactly right.
Kozmozag
Here is how i follow aggie football, before season starts we are going to win the natty. After 1st loss, we can still win the natty, after second loss, enjoy the games and pagentry. Its worked since 68'
nonregdaduck75
AG
took me a couple of days before I could stand to read these comments. Quite a bit of drivel, some gnashing of teeth, lots of name calling, Old Ags vs new Ags, etc, etc, etc.

Hated the loss, but I have seen this 71. Didn't lose my Senior boots (Army- 0-17, 71) drive to Austin after working 18 straight hours to be behind 21-0 by the time we got to our seats a minute into the game or busted our butt's to drive to Ann Arbor to lose 40 something to 3 to Michigan.

next game is Sat the 7th, moving right along
nonregdaduck75
AG
left out the best part. got married and spent our honeymoon in LA for lsu weekend in 72. yeah, Ags came out short that weekend also. I didnt
Magneto
AG
My kids grew up Aggies but A&M doesn't want that many students born in the actual state of Texas these days so I've been to other schools games

But make no mistake, I'm all in….. TA, TA radio, pressers, watching the games………..all in
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.