Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Reed Would've Beaten ND

5,713 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by The Zookeeper
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Change my mind.

Elko whiffed on that one, especially since CW was injured during the game.

We might have a legit QB controversy on our hands niw though.
Loftin
AG
There is no controversy. Reed is much better right now.
LB12Diamond
AG
I learned a long time ago playing the "what if" game is a total waste of time.

Ol Rock
AG
I think that's what made that game so frustrating. We could see from the stands that CW was struggling, but no change was made. I get you want to build confidence in your QB, but if he doesn't have it have a good backup come in or run the ball more.

Do you know what hurts your QB more than sharing snaps? Losing.

Congrats on the strong WIN by Elko and the team.
jenks
AG
He gets paid to put the best talent in the right places to make plays and to win games. That was accomplished yesterday but wonder why that wasn't done in the second half if not for 2 series at least. Reed can scramble which gets receivers open and gives us options with a dual threat QB in the SEC.
fc2112
Bill Superman said:

Change my mind.
Maybe.

Maybe not.
The Grinder (99)
AG
But what if it wasn't?
Honolulu Blue
Argument for reed losing that game: you never really know how a young QB will respond against a great D like Notre Dame

Argument for reed winning that game: any QB performance better than worst in the nation likley wins that game
WhataMaroon88
AG
Transitive property does not work in football. Every game. Every situation. Every preparation is different. ND just btho Purdue, who would beat NIU 8 of 10 times. It never works with what if questions either.
LB12Diamond
AG
Double what if. Yikes
WaldoWings
As Boston rob of the gameshow Survivor says, "always trust your gut". Intangibles are just as important as stats and analytics. Reed has a good deal of what wiggy has on the mechanics and all that, but just watching the team's body language with reed vs wiggy tells the tale of who has the spark and the things you can't see and quantify. That's something we can't really get without watching it when it matters. It mattered against ND and it mattered last night. We saw both of those games and know alot more now.
spherical
AG
Bill Superman said:

Change my mind.

Given that folks weren't super excited about Reeds performance against McNeese-

Tho I agree…not so much because he would necessarily have gone off, but because we just needed a couple of first downs to win
Notjavlane
Bill Superman said:

Change my mind.

I cant recall a game I have seen, where Conner played that well. Maybe I am wrong. But My son and I from 2nd third and long conversion on were calling for Reed to be the starter.
Kraft Punk
Of course Reed would've beaten Notre dame

Conner put up one of the worst performances of any Ag Qb ever....

Now knowing he had a bum shoulder it's even more irritating that Reed wasn't played
MyComputerCareer
Look I don't disagree, which is what made that loss so frustrating. At the same time I'm also glad we have a staff that isn't going to die on Everest with their sunk cost bias. If this change was inevitable, better to get it out of the way early. We did what we needed to do, now let's move forward. The team obviously responds really well to Reed, you could see it.
OilManAg91
AG
During the rain delay, the TV announcers basically said the same thing…that given our extremely poor QB performance against ND and the way MR is playing today…what if MR had come in the play the 2nd half of the ND game?

If we go on a run and have a shot at the top 12, this will be the primary argument to get us in the playoff. I recognize it's a long shot, but not completely out of the question.
QB1
AG
Controversy?

halfastros81
AG
There''a a strong argument supporting it but we will never know.
rootube
AG
WhataMaroon88 said:

Transitive property does not work in football. Every game. Every situation. Every preparation is different. ND just btho Purdue, who would beat NIU 8 of 10 times. It never works with what if questions either.

While this may be true it's hard to imagine our offensive struggles against ND and not think any spark would have been huge for us.
Escobars army
With how he was running today and avoiding hits, I don't think he finishes that game.
Bill Superman
AG
Loftin said:

There's no controversy at least until CW is 100%. I wouldn't expect a throwing shoulder injury to go away too quickly.

If Reed continues to play at this level and winning games then the decision gets a little easier. But he's likely going to be on a short leash once CW is ready, at least that's how I'd roll with it.
jsc8116
AG
Wonder if Weigmam didn't disclose the injury ? Regardless he should have been benched in 3rd quarter, painfully obvious he wasn't getting it done.
Muy
AG
LB12Diamond said:

But what should have happened in the 3rd quarter when it was clear nothing was improving with Conner is give Reed the rest of the 3rd quarter and see what he could do.
Bill Superman
AG
Loftin said:

Couldn't help but notice "right now" being the key word.

Regardless of what happens, a QB controversy is more than welcome.
halfastros81
AG
Being a better qb is not necessarily the same as being a better fit at qb for Klein's scheme
LB12Diamond
AG
It appears you don't understand the definition of a "what if".

And clearly don't understand the point I was making.
AgLA06
AG
Kraft Punk said:

Of course Reed would've beaten Notre dame

Conner put up one of the worst performances of any Ag Qb ever....

Now knowing he had a bum shoulder it's even more irritating that Reed wasn't played

It's truly amazing how fixated this fanbase gets, yet misses so much.

Reed wasn't ready. He wasn't better than a healthy Wiggy. He wasn't ready last week either, but the staff made an effort to get him experience and playing time for this week and the rest of the season if needed.

Fans bagging on Wiggy because he gutted it out unable to throw and kept us in the game into the fourth quarter against ND are disgusting. And those same "fans" will turn on Reed as well.

DFCURT
A QB having a really bad day could have won that game. Weigman had a disastrous day.

Highly highly likely the 2nd and 3rd string QB would have beat Notre Dame.

Weigman may carry on as the starter and ball out the whole rest of the season but there is no denying he single-handedly lost that game. He just needed to have a damn pulse and it would have been enough.
SABUILDERAG
halfastros81 said:

Being a better qb is not necessarily the same as being a better fit at qb for Klein's scheme
This
Aggie Dad 26
LB12Diamond said:

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3489357/4#discussion
rshar
As I was watching the ND game something was off with Weigman.. He's a great QB, had a great game against LSU, tremendous amount of sacrifice with coming back from a major injury. But he needed a break, his body language and anxiety were off the charts. I was thinking just put in MR, with his energy and electricity and more than likely we win the game. It's a reset to calm CW down, what he needed at that time.

Ag_EE_88
AG
Don't know if we would have won but the few times Conner scrambled, if it had been Reed, he'd have gotten at least another 20 yards. There was lots of open field with the receivers running off the dbs. Also, Reed would have at least seen a few of the wide open receivers unlike Conner. Reed doesn't play scared and knows how to lead apparently.
Muy
AG
LB12Diamond said:

It appears you don't understand the definition of a "what if".

And clearly don't understand the point I was making.

And my point being we would have known IF Reed was put in during the 3rd like I said.
Divining Rod
i like Weigman- but Reed has played great in every situation/chance. You can't change horses now- gotta ride the momentum. I think Henderson needs to stay ready though- Reed may get bent i two.
LB12Diamond
AG
LOL

Got it, so still a what if. What if we would have known. Thinking about changing the past is a what if.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.