Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo ain't done yet

10,003 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by aeon-ag
Hill08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So if he takes a job next year, doesn't that reduce our buyout?
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Stick a fork in him....... he's done.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Hungry Ojos
WC94 said:

ffco said:

SMU

Sonny Dykes is a better coach than Jimbo.

Who wants to tell him?
Double Diamond
Jimbo will do well at his next job.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Mark Stoops said:

Just having one natty is a pretty surface level analysis

Which is all this forum needs, for the most part.
The Zookeeper
AG
Hill08 said:

NO. Guaranteed.

Part of reason why so many were pissed and more pissed at the extension
greg.w.h
AG
Hill08 said:

No.
greg.w.h
AG
The Zookeeper said:

Hill08 said:

NO. Guaranteed.

Being pissed at things you have zero influence or control over is a winning strategy…
well_endowed_ag
greg.w.h said:

The Zookeeper said:

Hill08 said:

NO. Guaranteed.

Being pissed at things you have zero influence or control over is a winning strategy…

Exactly. Even though I disagreed with the extension at the time, I was happy and still am. You know why? Because it wasn't my decision, and I'm not paying for it, so it makes no difference to me whatsoever.
StinkyPinky
AG
Not sure what type of job his ego will allow. I'll be interested to see how it turns out if he lands somewhere. I suspect it's be more in a consulting roll where he can stay close to the game but less stress/work?
rootube
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Not sure what type of job his ego will allow. I'll be interested to see how it turns out if he lands somewhere. I suspect it's be more in a consulting roll where he can stay close to the game but less stress/work?

Someone looked at Les Miles and convinced themselves that he was worth a shot. Jimbo will 100% get an opportunity to be a head coach again. The only question is where and will it be in a place where he can have success.
Wildness25
AG
Western Carolina
TyperWoods
With our luck, he'll take over Arkansas and win a couple of NCs

Craigy
Don't hold your breath
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The biggest problem I see with hiring Jimbo after the debacle that happened here is what kind of assistants would he be able to hire.

He has no coaching tree of young up-and-comers that he helped develop into big time coaches and he was reduced to hiring old retread failed head coached here even with all our resources.

Just not something that screams future success.
well_endowed_ag
Emilio Fantastico said:

The biggest problem I see with hiring Jimbo after the debacle that happened here is what kind of assistants would he be able to hire.

He has no coaching tree of young up-and-comers that he helped develop into big time coaches and he was reduced to hiring old retread failed head coached here even with all our resources.

Agree. He is a hired gun who will put together a hired gun staff and recruit hired gun players. It can potentially work out, but there's a major risk of program instability associated with it.
rootube
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Agree. He is a hired gun who will put together a hired gun staff and recruit hired gun players. It can potentially work out, but there's a major risk of program instability associated with it.

Jimbo hired Mike Elko as his DC so hopefully he does possess some ability to evaluate assistants. How would you rate that hire?
Slicer97
AG
He also held onto Dameyune Craig and hired Steve Addazio.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Jimbo's original staff hires were decent. Schmidt and Elko were the cream of the crop with TP and ERob close behind. But as people moved on, the replacements got steadily worse

And it wasn't like he developed Elko. Elko came in as one of the top DC's out there at the time.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
EMCC/Last Chance U. Some of his players ended up there… he should try it too.
StinkyPinky
AG
rootube said:

StinkyPinky said:

Someone looked at Les Miles and convinced themselves that he was worth a shot. Jimbo will 100% get an opportunity to be a head coach again. The only question is where and will it be in a place where he can have success.
Agree. Definitely there will be people who want to give him a shot. But that's my point with his ego, how small of a program is it before his ego say its beneath him.
greg.w.h
AG
He can't rescue his reputation. So go retire already.
The Zookeeper
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

greg.w.h said:

The Zookeeper said:

Hill08 said:

NO. Guaranteed.

Exactly. Even though I disagreed with the extension at the time, I was happy and still am. You know why? Because it wasn't my decision, and I'm not paying for it, so it makes no difference to me whatsoever.
Some were pissed ... a lot of people here sure were. Honestly I wasn't pissed. Thought it was a knee-jerk reaction and stupid.

BUT ... that guaranteed money then/now/future could've been used for other improvements/programs/salaries/etc .... so as a fan and former student, the decision DOES have an effect.
The Banned
Hamburger Dan said:

He's not doing it right. I retired two years ago from 41 years of semi successful High School coaching. I have not thought twice about it. I got paid well (not Jimbo well) but more than I ever imagined, by 2002, I never had to teach a class,. Nowadays, I play golf at a nice club 2-3 times a week. I fly fish in New Mexico / Colorado - a week to 10 days from late April thru October, and I hang out with my family. My old players and coaches checkin with me periodically, but I'm living exactly the way I thought I would at 65 years old. Best decision I ever made!

Being fired for shameful performance may have given you a different perspective
Mark Stoops
greg.w.h said:

The Zookeeper said:

Hill08 said:

NO. Guaranteed.

This could be said about literally almost anything discussed on this forum, ever. You're only throwing out this cliche now because you're one of the last Jimbo goaltenders left on this site. At least be honest about your issue with the statement.
Azeew
rootube said:

Mark Stoops said:

Really. The number of active coaches with a natty says otherwise. Please elaborate on what a better metric for success is.

Eleven years ago.
well_endowed_ag
rootube said:

well_endowed_ag said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

Jimbo hired Mike Elko as his DC so hopefully he does possess some ability to evaluate assistants. How would you rate that hire?

I would rate it as one good hire in a sea of bad hires. Jimbo's full body of work speaks for itself very loudly. Don't argue the exception as if it's the rule.
WestHoustonAg79
Aggiest thing ever would be for him to go to Ark or SCAR or similar and win an SEC championship
Romello
He will end up failing again just like Fran and Sumlin did.
Timberwolf
AG
Shouldn't surprise anyone ! It'll be interesting to see what he can get for a salary when everyone knows he's practically a billionaire and doesn't need much haha
TexasAGGIEinAR
Logos Stick said:

BreckCO2000 said:

Arkansas maybe?

They aren't that dumb.

They hired John Chavis. They rehired Bobby Petrino. They're very much that stupid.
rootube
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

rootube said:

well_endowed_ag said:

Emilio Fantastico said:

I would rate it as one good hire in a sea of bad hires. Jimbo's full body of work speaks for itself very loudly. Don't argue the exception as if it's the rule.

Maybe read a couple of my posts.

1) He will get an opportunity to coach again if he wants to and it looks like he does.

2) IF he lands in the right job he can be successful. Another Mack brown example where he landed a job at a basketball school with big pockets and low expectations and part of a conference where he has built in advantages.

3) He is capable of hiring top assistants. Not saying he will but he has proven that he has done it before. Not all home runs but not all whiffs either.
rootube
AG
Azeew said:

rootube said:

Mark Stoops said:

Really. The number of active coaches with a natty says otherwise. Please elaborate on what a better metric for success is.

Eleven years ago.

Ok Mack brown the guy I compared him to won one almost 20 years ago. Despite that fact he's managed to have a pretty successful career at UNC for the last seven years.

Just because Jimbo was a disaster here doesn't mean it's impossible for him to succeed somewhere else.
aggiehawg
AG
TxAg76 said:

We are. Marshall
Oh man, that was bad. I remember when that happened. Awful.

I also had to attend the funeral of a family member who died in the Lamar track team crash.
fightintxaggie10
AG
So if he gets an HC position do we truncate his payout?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.