Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

No more camping out for more than one night for ticket pull

9,861 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by 20ag07
The Zookeeper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would be pretty simple to set up a system online that accomplishes the same results as the camp out.

Instead of getting up early (or staying up late) to go camp out to get in line, you just log on or have your buddy log on with your passes. Automated verification txts sent to those whose buddy pulled the additional tickets.

Simple.

Log on ... then go on with your day.

Serious Question --- What am I missing besides the "fun" of camping out in line?
AgBQ-00
AG
Yes, doing it online is simpler. Cutting down on the time camping out for tickets makes sense in many ways. The thing it does though is take a way another small component that builds community and campus quirkiness and comradery. It erodes another avenue in which good memories are made. It is not so much the method that is being decried but the loss of those things that the change takes away. It will be better in ways. But it will also be worse in other ways.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
LB12Diamond
AG
You ever met that guy that seemed like he did things just bc he thought it was a good story?

Or maybe some like coming up for any reason to miss class.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
JJxvi said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Redaggie250 said:

Nothing like forcing other people to do what you want when you don't have to do it yourself anymore right? You are out of college why are you trying to dictate what the students have to do? Why force them to have to camp out just for tickets. Are you other proud to be outdated and archaic?

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. And unless you're a current student there's some serious irony in your post if you're advocating for the process to change. I was in school and ticket pulling more recently than 90%+ of the posters on this board, the process is fine.
When is the last time you tried to get tickets in a ticket drop online to an event with a really high demand? It doesn't work. And A&M wouldn't get it right before the billion dollar ticket sales companies. Hell they aren't all that good at the online class registration process as is, and they are able to stagger those times throughout an entire couple of weeks and have had that set up for decades. 10,000 students trying to do the exact same action at the exact same time on an A&M website would be an awful experience.
Lastly, so much about A&M that is celebrated and awesome is outdated, so yeah I guess I'm pretty proud.
These arent public tickets, and there is no reason to have a drop time where everyone tries to get in at the same time any more than there is a need to have a line.

There should just be a deadline by which all pass holders have to indicate that they want to go and group their passes together online, and then the ticket allocation runs to everyone who submitted before the deadline and the whole campus gets their tickets at the same time.

I imagine the main resistance to this way of doing it would be from the most redass who will feel that they have to have a way to prove that they "deserve" better or faster or more guaranteed tickets and need a way to demonstrate this by proving their willingness to camp out for days or whatever.

Why should those that are willing to do more to get tickets not be able to get better tickets than those that aren't? I'm fine with someone that is willing to get in line 12 hours before me getting better seats than me.
JJxvi
AG
Because its a dumb reason? Especially to go above an beyond for something everyone already paid, what is now, $400 for?

Why not take it even further, lets start coming up with hoops you have to go through. If you jump off of Albritton and survive the fall, then you've proved you get to go to the front of the line with your group. That would be cool.

It should be done the smart way, not a dumb way, and in 2024 doing it the same way we did it in 2003 is a dumb way, IMO
JJxvi
AG
Not that I'm surprised, thats why I mentioned the type of person that was going to be affronted in the post to being with, that believe picking up the tickets you paid for somehow needs to be a competition of some sort.
Ogre09
AG
Online with reservation windows based on priority points from attending all athletics events. Points are cumulative for your entire time as a student. Want good football tickets? Go support the softball team and tennis team.
SeaBrisket
AG
These are dumb college kids which we all were at one point. They're camping out for the fun and the camaraderie of it. Nobody is gonna disagree that it's inefficient. People do dumb stuff all the time to just hang out with their buddies.
Give me the guy who shoots for excellence and fails over the guy who shoots for mediocrity and succeeds.
JJxvi
AG
SeaBrisket said:

These are dumb college kids which we all were at one point. They're camping out for the fun and the camaraderie of it. Nobody is gonna disagree that it's inefficient. People do dumb stuff all the time to just hang out with their buddies.
I disagree with that. I believe they make it as fun as waiting in line for hours or days can be, but nobody would be doing it if they didnt believe that you got better tickets from doing it.
The Collective
AG
With the return of EA Sports College Football - there is zero reason to short camp out time for tickets.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
JJxvi said:

Because its a dumb reason? Especially to go above an beyond for something everyone already paid, what is now, $400 for?

Why not take it even further, lets start coming up with hoops you have to go through. If you jump off of Albritton and survive the fall, then you've proved you get to go to the front of the line with your group. That would be cool.

It should be done the smart way, not a dumb way, and in 2024 doing it the same way we did it in 2003 is a dumb way, IMO

$400 is still a steal for season tickets along the east sideline + tickets to most other home sporting events.

And god forbid you allow people to make some effort or sacrifices to help them get a better outcome on something they care about. Crazy to want to take that away from people I think. I got outperformed in class by someone that dedicated more time to studying than me, but we paid the same tuition. What should happen there?

I'd say you're proving my point with your example though, if someone is willing to jump off Albritton for tickets then hell yeah get them the best seats.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Freshman camping out to get tickets that are 3rd deck no matter what shows that there is far more to it then students just trying to get the best seats.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
NyAggie said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Online ticket drops universally suck, so hell no to that.

Keep ticket pull the way it is.

Just curious as to why online ticket drops suck; I would think it'd be easier than having to camp out for tickets

Website crashes and bots.
JJxvi
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Freshman camping out to get tickets that are 3rd deck no matter what shows that there is far more to it then students just trying to get the best seats.
Is this really something that a lot of students are actually doing?
Tailgate88
AG
NoahAg said:

Just have everyone write their name on a list of some sort.

That's all fine and good until some chick snarfs it down for a midnight snack.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
JJxvi said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Is this really something that a lot of students are actually doing?

I'm not out there every Thursday or Friday (can't remember what day freshman pull), but yeah for big games or first games of the season there absolutely were when I was in school. I'm pretty sure there's an amount of tickets (over 10 maybe?) that when you pull your group automatically gets the third deck and people camp out for those too.
20ag07
We're not the only ones that still do this. Duke basketball KVille is famous for it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krzyzewskiville

College kids doing college kid stuff, because they want to and it's fun, that they will never have time to do again in their real life, is what makes the college experience so memorable.
JJxvi
AG
Krzyzewskivilles at Duke are no less dumb to have, but are arguably not even the same phenomenon since camping out there is actually demonstrably directly related to how good of a seat you get. They are camping to get into the arena, not for a ticket pull, and I don't think they they even have to buy the tickets either at Duke.

Nevertheless, just go read the actual rules about camping at Duke and ask yourself if it sounds like "fun" or if it sounds like the rules are nutso. It has to exist there because they dont have a seat available in the arena for every student, and they have to have some way to determine who gets in and gets the best seats. A&M limits demand for football by selling a maximum amount of sports passes, and the link between what seats you get and where you are in line is also randomized.
The Zookeeper
AG
OK. Switched my opinion. Keep it as is or let students decide to keep as is.

I never camped out for more than a day ... but I do remember getting in line and hanging out the night before a few times.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
JJxvi said:

and the link between what seats you get and where you are in line is also randomized.

I don't think this is true. You choose the deck you want and you're supposed to get best available seats on that deck that can fit the size of your group im pretty sure. "Best available" is subjective obviously. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Something that seems to be getting lost in this is that it is entirely VOLUNTARY. Despite your claim only the most redass want to keep the current system, I camped out 1 time. I got there at like 2am the morning of so not really long term, and I believe only had a few other times where people in my group waited in line overnight for our tickets.
rausr
AG
Quote:

It's an eyesore.

20ag07
Quote:

Nevertheless, just go read the actual rules about camping at Duke and ask yourself if it sounds like "fun" or if it sounds like the rules are nutso.
Oh, I read them. Which also include the fact that it's essentially a big party.

Do I think this sounds fun at 39? Absolutely not. Would it have been fun when I was 20? Absolutely.

Stupid stuff is what makes college memorable. You could sanitize almost every part about it into a virtual system. And that would do what- free up a bunch of kids more time to sit on their couch playing XBox?

Not the college experience I want for my kids.
Redaggie250
Truly fair? You do realize people have created entire businesses of paying to have people at the front of the line right? There's tons of ways that make in person unfair but keep on boomering booker
Redaggie250
Ask kids if they would rather camp out in the heat and cold or do it inside. You are making uncomfortable conditions for no reason
Redaggie250
"People want to camp out in the heat and weather bc it's dumb and college kids have nothing better to do" do you hear yourself? You can't think of anything else better for college kids to do or better places? Much rather hang out at bars or at home lol you are crazy
Redaggie250
Just graduated and you are an old man yelling at the sky. You act like ticketing websites can't handle ticket pull when they've been doing it for concerts and George strait and the Mexico soccer match. You are being ignorant
spherical
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Aggie Dad Sip said:

Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Online ticket drops universally suck, so hell no to that.

Keep ticket pull the way it is.

Somebody somewhere said the same thing about air conditioners back in the day…

Really dumb analogy.
One was a hardware issue and the other is a software issue.

Also- ac units eventually worked…
schmellba99
AG
You know a story that will never get told to kids, by old Ags or amongst old Ags that get together on occasion long after graduation?

How awesome it was clicking a button on your phone to get tickets to a game.

Honestly, it's like a whole lot of people want A&M to become just like every other institution out there. Same ones will probably beetch and moan about how "sterile" the Arky game is at Jerryworld too.

Sometimes - just sometimes - things are done because it's tradition, a right of passage, or because new army hears the stories from old army and wants to have those same stories to tell at some point as well. The horror.

We had an absolute blast back in the day camping out for tickets. I'd hope the current crop of students has the same amount of fun and has the same fond memories at some point. Can't imagine having a college career devoid of things that are quintessential Aggie rights of passage. Might as well say that Yell Practice is dumb and outdated since you know the yells already or that E-walk is dumb and outdated and walking around campus just seems silly when you could fly a drone around or get on google earth and look around, etc.
Redaggie250
Nothing you are just arguing with a bunch of old men stuck in their ways
20ag07
Again. Nobody made kids start camping out 2 weeks before a game. They can get tickets without doing so.

They do it because they want to, which includes fun and pride and whatever else is important to 19 or whatever year olds.
20ag07
Redaggie250- "Why would anyone spend literally months building a stack of logs so that you could burn it down for a few hours? You could just stay at home and watch another bonfire on your phone. And then go back to your XBox."
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Redaggie250 said:

Just graduated and you are an old man yelling at the sky. You act like ticketing websites can't handle ticket pull when they've been doing it for concerts and George strait and the Mexico soccer match. You are being ignorant

You saying you just graduated or I did?
Also, you're complaining about a completely fine process, not me, so save your yelling at the clouds label there.
If Ticketmaster and Axs can't handle ticket drops due to predictable usage surges and bots, A&M, which struggles with crashes and handling bandwidth during class registrations, sure as hell isn't going to figure it out before them.
SeaBrisket
AG
Of course there's better things for them to do. What part of dumb college kids didn't you understand? Just because you'd rather be home or at a bar doesn't mean there isn't some goofball and his friends who feel the same way.
Give me the guy who shoots for excellence and fails over the guy who shoots for mediocrity and succeeds.
SeaBrisket
AG
Exactly
Redaggie250
Go and ask college kids what they would rather do there is a 0% chance they say camping out for tickets if given the choice between online and in person pull
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.