Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Notre Dame board is worried about their offensive line vs A&M

16,632 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by LB12Diamond
Mike Elkos Burner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm not sure if this has already been talked about, but 6 games combined across your entire offensive line going into Kyle Field against our defensive line seems to give us a huge advantage.. fingers crossed.
well_endowed_ag
They should be very worried our defensive front. But we should be very worried about our own O line. Whichever team's O line holds up better in this game is probably going to win.
B-1 83
AG
And it's going to be hot down on that turf…..in Texas……in August…..
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Aggie Dad 26
B-1 83 said:

Well endowed told me the temperature wouldn't have much of an effect. Cause South Bend is hot too lol
well_endowed_ag
Aggie Dad 26 said:

B-1 83 said:

Well endowed told me the temperature wouldn't have much of an effect. Cause South Bend is hot too lol

In general, the claim that temperature will impart a meaningful benefit to one team over another is not really supported. It's almost always a non-factor. I'm not saying it won't have any impact at all. I acknowledge it is about 20 degrees cooler in South Bend. But for the most part, the whole "such and such team isn't ready for the hot/cold/humidity that we live in" thing is fan fiction.

You seem to have a personal problem with me. I'm just sharing my opinions like everyone else. Are you ok?
drred4
B-1 83 said:

IV's for everyone at half-time
jphelmet
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

B-1 83 said:

In general, the claim that temperature will impart a meaningful benefit to one team over another is not really supported. It's almost always a non-factor. I'm not saying it won't have any impact at all. I acknowledge it is about 20 degrees cooler in South Bend. But for the most part, the whole "such and such team isn't ready for the hot/cold/humidity that we live in" thing is fan fiction.

You seem to have a personal problem with me. I'm just sharing my opinions like everyone else. Are you ok?

The problem is this is way too reasonable of a take for Texags.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
well_endowed_ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

B-1 83 said:

i would have to disagree. not sure there is a way to fully quantify it but i will pose the question to you this way. can you run further and do more strenuous work outside when it's 106 or 78? once again impossible to quantify but i can assure you one team will step on the field and go daaammmmmmnnnnnn it's hot and the other team will say you should have been here last week it was hotter.
NoahAg
What about OUR offensive line? Until I see otherwise I'm concerned about how they'll do against any defense.
well_endowed_ag
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

well_endowed_ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

B-1 83 said:

i would have to disagree. not sure there is a way to fully quantify it but i will pose the question to you this way. can you run further and do more strenuous work outside when it's 106 or 78? once again impossible to quantify but i can assure you one team will step on the field and go daaammmmmmnnnnnn it's hot and the other team will say you should have been here last week it was hotter.

If you take a group of elite athletes, play them in 8 second intervals of peak exertion, rotate them periodically, and account for typical changes of possession when they can rest, I think the difference between the half who trained at 98 degrees and the half who trained at 78 degrees is going to be pretty much inconsequential. It's not like our team has been living and sleeping in 98-degree weather. They've been practicing in it for a couple hours a day, and only for 4 weeks. Both teams are going to be hot. It's also going to be dark and cooler in the second half.

Again, I'm not saying it's impossible that it will have any effect. I'm saying it almost never does and is highly unlikely to have a meaningful effect on the outcome.
Fishwrangler11
AG
On the offensive line, probably about the same skill BUT I'd take Weigman from a mobility standpoint any day over their QB. Also, it's very different to practice behind a bad OL versus play. He hasn't played behind a bad OL where Weigman has.

For the weather conditions, my boss just moved this summer to just north of Indy says it basically feels like fall up there. So don't tell me you can replicate 80% humidity and 100 degree temps practicing up there. It's the same advantage the Broncos or Nuggets get playing in the altitude. Doesn't matter your conditioning. You can't prepare for it unless you're in it a week ahead of time.

If ND is significantly better sure, it shouldn't matter, BUT if the game is truly a pick'em from a talent standpoint, I'd certainly say it makes a difference.

Either way, I'm planning on hollerin' my a$$ off if these Ags play to their talent level!
aggiebird02
well_endowed_ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

B-1 83 said:

Your posts (for the most part), are terrible. I have no personal problem with you, but your posts are often times not worth reading nor engaging back. You're also kind of a crybaby.

So now I'm blocking you…

Edit: Having said that, I'd also like to add that Aggie dad 26 is an even worse poster than you…
NyAggie
AG
Fishwrangler11 said:

On the offensive line, probably about the same skill BUT I'd take Weigman from a mobility standpoint any day over their QB. Also, it's very different to practice behind a bad OL versus play. He hasn't played behind a bad OL where Weigman has.

For the weather conditions, my boss just moved this summer to just north of Indy says it basically feels like fall up there. So don't tell me you can replicate 80% humidity and 100 degree temps practicing up there. It's the same advantage the Broncos or Nuggets get playing in the altitude. Doesn't matter your conditioning. You can't prepare for it unless you're in it a week ahead of time.

If ND is significantly better sure, it shouldn't matter, BUT if the game is truly a pick'em from a talent standpoint, I'd certainly say it makes a difference.

Either way, I'm planning on hollerin' my a$$ off if these Ags play to their talent level!

Yep

I know, for me, if it's hot all week I can handle being out in the heat better than if it's cooler all week and then suddenly hot

That suddenly hot feels like super sauna hot

Jarrin' Jay
AG
They should be, our DL is going to wreck many OLs all season...
Jarrin' Jay
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

They should be very worried our defensive front. But we should be very worried about our own O line. Whichever team's O line holds up better in this game is probably going to win.

As is the case in 99.99% of college football games.

Not so as much in the NFL, but in college, almost always true.
NewEra2023
AG
They return a pair of the best DTs in cfb. We return a pair of the best DEs in cfb. I still like our OL over theirs. Almost solely based on experience.

They return a pair of the best DBs in cfb. We...don't. However, they don't have a Fear of God WR to take advantage of it. They have Greathouse, Faisson, and a transfer from Clemson.

Hope we run outside the tackles often.

Ags win 17-13
Divining Rod
both teams probably practice mostly indoors in 70 degree temperatures. both teams ain't gonna like the heat. but this is an evening game, more or less. the REAL advantage for us is the time of day- Kyle Field is ALIVE in the evening.

Completely different atmosphere than playing at 2:30pm
tjburns
This is generally a bad take. Life doesn't happen in a vacuum. They aren't acclimated and will need to rotate more often than we do is the most likely outcome.

Home field doesn't make a difference? Altitude doesn't matter? While I agree you can try to condition against all these factors, there is a reason to do it… it's because they matter.
LB12Diamond
AG
Just checked the temp

97 and feels like 112. Doubt it's much different in two weeks might be even hotter.

South Bend right now 84, feels like 87.

It will help.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
If the heat doesn't matter then let's see if ND will play us here again next year. More fans, more money. Weather isn't an advantage for the home team. Why would they object?

In my opinion, Kyle Field at night in the heat of late August is a 7-10 point home field advantage which is why we will prevail 31-13 and pass our first big test in pursuit of a playoff spot.
ahpetty33
AG
Do you think the teams split the gate charges when fans enter Kyle Field?
wangus12
AG
Divining Rod said:

both teams probably practice mostly indoors in 70 degree temperatures. both teams ain't gonna like the heat. but this is an evening game, more or less. the REAL advantage for us is the time of day- Kyle Field is ALIVE in the evening.

Completely different atmosphere than playing at 2:30pm

100%. Both teams are practicing indoor in AC facilities during the heat of the day. Maybe our guys get out in the morning when it's still in the 80s.
halfastros81
AG
Imo , the heat will have a psychological impact on them IF they get down and are having trouble moving the ball. If they get up and are having success then not so much. It's a potential compounding issue for them.
LB12Diamond
AG
Thinking the heat and more specifically the humidity in August is not a benefit is a mistake. What's next, are you going to also state when Miami has to go play up in Buffalo in December, it does not help Buffalo?
StinkyPinky
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Thinking the heat and more specifically the humidity is not a benefit is a mistake. What's next, are you going to also state when Miami has to go play up in Buffalo in December, it does not help Buffalo?
Having grown up in South Texas and now living in the midwest, we absolutely have an edge. It matters.
well_endowed_ag
StinkyPinky said:

LB12Diamond said:

Thinking the heat and more specifically the humidity is not a benefit is a mistake. What's next, are you going to also state when Miami has to go play up in Buffalo in December, it does not help Buffalo?
Having grown up in South Texas and now living in the midwest, we absolutely have an edge. It matters.

Can you point to any games in recent history where you think practicing in the heat meaningfully helped us win at Kyle Field against a team that doesn't practice in the heat?
LB12Diamond
AG
I cannot think of a time a Big 10 team played in the South recently in August against an SEC team and won. Theres a reason they don't schedule these games as best they can. They prefer to avoid this scenario.

As I already said, trying to act like it's not an advantage is silly. Not surprised you are the first to respond.

It also being NDs 1st game is key. That humidity will hit them even harder not having a couple of games to help them get acclimated to game speed and strength.
gtaggie_08
AG
There is typically only one week of games in August. But Penn State went to Jordan-Hare and ran all over Auburn in early September two years ago
BkYdPitmaster
AG
aggiebird02 said:

well_endowed_ag said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

B-1 83 said:

Your posts (for the most part), are terrible. I have no personal problem with you, but your posts are often times not worth reading nor engaging back. You're also kind of a crybaby.

So now I'm blocking you…

Edit: Having said that, I'd also like to add that Aggie dad 26 is an even worse poster than you…
Wow. A hit and run.
Backyard Pitmaster
aggiebird02
I ain't leaving. I'm Last…
Emilio Fantastico
AG
NoahAg said:

What about OUR offensive line? Until I see otherwise I'm concerned about how they'll do against any defense.

At least in terms of starts, we will have a huge advantage over ND as our youngest possible starting 5 would have at least 50 games started.
And they always point to experience as a big factor in Oline success.
LB12Diamond
AG
It was Penn States 3rd game, not first and it was on Sept 17th. First game might be even more key with the heat/humidity. Zero games to get acclimated to game speed/stress. Plus the change in climate. Positives for A&M.

Against a horrible Auburn team and Penn State probably their best team in a decade.

Do you really think the heat and humidity will not help in two weeks? To each their own.

But as I pointed out with Buffalo Miami example. Miami has hardly ever won in Buffalo if they have to play there late in the season. And vice versa for Buffalo. They don't like playing at Miami early in the schedule. I just laugh at the same posters always having to play the contrarian role on every thread.

Alright guys. The heat/humidity difference does not help one bit. Those from from the Midwest when they visit the south in August always think it's awesome. Give me some more of this weather. Heck, even ones that live here, me included hate August.
StinkyPinky
AG
well_endowed_ag said:

StinkyPinky said:

LB12Diamond said:

Can you point to any games in recent history where you think practicing in the heat meaningfully helped us win at Kyle Field against a team that doesn't practice in the heat?
Now you're trying too hard to win a debate where there are no winners. I get your point and definitely some truth to it, but it absolutely is a factor if you aren't used to it. Sorry, this isn't that black and white to start citing evidence.
Shoefly!
AG
drred4 said:

B-1 83 said:

IV's for everyone at half-time

A/C problems in the visitor's locker room. Bad eggs at the hotel. What else?
LB12Diamond
AG
Here's my evidence. I grew up in the panhandle of Texas. My Freshman year in 92 when I went to A&M, I was like, this humidity sucks!!!!!!!!!!
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.