Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Elko's Success this Season

9,274 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ugly
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recentagdoc said:

Paid a ton of money to buy out last staff with a team that finished at 7-5, wouldn't expect the new staff to finish at what the last staff was fired over.
But if he doesn't match it, what exactly is the recourse you anticipate, A severe finger wagging from "Trev"???
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
We have a favorable home/away schedule with our toughest games against Notre Dame, Missouri, LSU, and Texas at home and winnable road games at Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Auburn. With that schedule, I am expecting a floor of 8-4 and a ceiling of 10-2. 9-3 would be considered a successful because it would mean winning 3 of our 4 toughest games and going 2-2 in road games after losing 10 consecutive road games (9 under Jimbo Fisher).
Sq 17
Going forward success is making the playoffs
10-2 with a win over tu likely gets us in
Ever since the schedule and the playoff format came out I have believed
A&M vs tu is for a spot in the playoffs
BudFox7
Lol the only time we win 10 games is with a generational talent at QB. We are not winning 10 games.

We hired a HC with 2 years experience who has done nothing, and a very mid coaching staff.

7-8 wins as usual
Sq 17
Then I guess we won't be successful next year,
10-2 is based on the theory that ND and @ UF are both winnable games
Hopefully ND continues to be overrated and we play a very good game at the Swamp. The schedule sets up for a possible run
Ugly
AG
BudFox7 said:

Lol the only time we win 10 games is with a generational talent at QB. We are not winning 10 games.

We hired a HC with 2 years experience who has done nothing, and a very mid coaching staff.

7-8 wins as usual
I'm sorry, but Kellen Mond was not a generational QB and 2020 was much better than a standard "10-win" season. Our schedule is also the easiest it has been since we joined the SEC, and we have had plenty of 9-win seasons that would have been better with an easier schedule. If you want to have BAS, have it about the team not coming together in year 1 of a new coaching staff, not that we can't win 10 games.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Sq 17 said:

Then I guess we won't be successful next year,
10-2 is based on the theory that ND and @ UF are both winnable games
Hopefully ND continues to be overrated and we play a very good game at the Swamp. The schedule sets up for a possible run
I actually base the 10 win regular season on something a little different. I have all but conceded the Notre Dame game, I think they are not overrated and have an elite D that will ultimately shut us down.

I think there are some "overrated" teams that do not match up very well against our strengths. Missouri has a strong offense particularly at QB and skill but the OL and the defense are average at best which bodes really well for us. LSU has a very strong OL and looks like a good QB and a quality front 7 but new schemes and replacing a lot of top end talent, we can win that one. Lastly tu, strong at both tackles, good QB and good to really good at skill, defense was rough last year and lost any real contributor, it is the type of team we should be able to lean on and win.

Florida will be ready to play until we punch them in the mouth twice, then they will fold. That is assuming they haven't folded already before the game. Auburn is talented and has a great atmosphere but doesn't match up that well against us.

A good OC and DC can exploit the weaknesses in each of these 5 opponents with our talent and put us in a position to win. The mysteries are special teams, injuries, and having the knack to make the winning plays which guys could not do for Jimbo.
Indianrider
AG
greg.w.h said:

Recentagdoc said:

8-4 at a minimum.
I bet he keeps his job at 0-12…
Tell us about the 2020 season and how Jimbo had the best record since 1939
Indianrider
Gilligan
AG
I'd say depends on how many games he wins...

simple as that.

Just win, the rest will sort itself out.
Sterling82
BudFox7 said:

7-8 wins as usual

We have a generational talent at QB. We've only seen glimpses so far because he's spent too much time on the ground or injured.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
9 Wins
10 Wins counting a bowl victory would be solid and a great year.
Many conveniently forget we play in the SEC.
Space-Tech
vs. Notre Dame 24 - 28 L
vs. McNeese 36 - 17 W
@ Florida 21 - 24 L
vs. Bowling Green 28 - 7 W
vs. Arkansas 23 - 24 L
vs. Missouri 42 - 21 W
@ Miss St. 14 - 10 W
vs. LSU 31 - 35 L
@ South Carolina 20 - 14 W
vs. New Mexico St. 24 - 3 W
@ Auburn 10- 35 L
vs. t.u. 44 - 42 (OT) W
PERSON - WOMAN - MAN - CAMERA - TV
alamogeorge
AG
Zero sacks credited to the offensive line would be pretty successful.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
vander54
S
Yeah. Not happening
World's worst proofreader
Ugly
AG
Klein would lose a lot of goodwill quickly in this case. If we fail to score at least 32 points against all but three opponents, including two lower level G5 teams, there better be a damn good excuse. That's the kind of stuff we fired Jimbo for.
merch
Don't really expect or hope for anything anymore. And nobody knows. College teams can literally remake themselves overnight now so predicting is kinda worthless.

And I don't count bowl games in W/L total unless said bowl game is a playoff game…nobody cares about other bowls and with those sitting out, they are not indicative of anything anyway.

That said, one wonders when players start sitting out playoff bowl games or for that matter regular season games. For example, if you are a first round player, your team is 8-3, why are you deciding to play the last game of season but sitting out the bowl game? If you are afraid of injury, you shouldn't be playing the last game (or the game before that for that matter).
Nothing looks more foolish than tradition to those who have none.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
vs. Notre Dame Win
vs. McNeese Win
@ Florida Win
vs. Bowling Green Win
vs. Arkansas Win
vs. Missouri Win
@ Miss St. Win
vs. LSU Loss
@ South Carolina Win
vs. New Mexico St. Win
@ Auburn Win
vs. t.u. 44 - 42 Win

11-1
Possibly 12-0

I don't believe this is unrealistic prediction at all.
ColtAg21
vs. Notre Dame L
vs. McNeese W
@ Florida L
vs. Bowling Green W
vs. Arkansas W
vs. Missouri W
@ Miss St. W
vs. LSU L
@ South Carolina W
vs. New Mexico St. W
@ Auburn L
vs. t.u. W
Fishwrangler11
AG
9 regular season wins is "success". An 8 win team with a win over tu, would be a very good start, similar to Jimbo. 7-8 wins with a loss to tu would be expected.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I could definitely see this season playing out very similar to the 2012 season. Drop the first game to a very good Notre Dame then drop one of Missouri/LSU then roll everybody else. I do think LSU will be a tougher game than Missouri and tu, those two teams are the same; strong offense but but not a lot on defense. I do worry a bit about the Florida/Auburn games. Florida will be talented and dangerous because they are desperate. Auburn is always talented but young and don't have a QB, my concern is by week 12 they have figured out something and it is a 4 quarter battle.
fightinag
Tanker123 said:

wangus12 said:

We're Texas A&M.

7-5 is the Truth, the Light, and the Way

Yes I'm still a believer ! 11-1
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
BLSmith04
AG
Anything less than 9-3 would be quite disappointing for me, given the talent on our roster and the relative easiness of our schedule. But I think 10-2 is definitely in the cards.
agnerd
AG
We were 7-5 last year in the regular season. With a brand new staff, 6-6 is a success.
Did yall forget that we've lost to both Arkansas State and Appalachian State?
VP at Pierce and Pierce
agnerd said:

We were 7-5 last year in the regular season. With a brand new staff, 6-6 is a success.
Did yall forget that we've lost to both Arkansas State and Appalachian State
Football is not played in the past. What is your real prediction on the 2024 season?
agnerd
AG
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

agnerd said:

Football is not played in the past. What is your real prediction on the 2024 season?
That wasn't the question. The question is what will be a successful year. If we only lose 1 win from last year's schedule with a completely new coaching staff, that will be a success. We're more likely to lose one of our gimme games than win em all like some people seem to think.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
agnerd said:

VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

agnerd said:

That wasn't the question. The question is what will be a successful year. If we only lose 1 win from last year's schedule with a completely new coaching staff, that will be a success. We're more likely to lose one of our gimme games than win em all like some people seem to think.
Ok. I am asking a new question, what is your prediction for 2024?
agnerd
AG
Prediction is 7-5, same as last year.
StinkyPinky
AG
I think we'll go 10-2. Because I actually still enjoy being a fan.
Aggie Class of 2026
I'll have far less patience with this hire and every hire moving forward in Aggie football

Win or leave
TexasAggie_97
AG
Sterling82 said:

If Weigman is 100% and plays well we should be 10-2. We're very talented.
So 6-6.
bankshot11
AG
We need to aim for smaller gains this year. Overall win/loss record should not matter. We haven't won a road game in 3 years and have one 10+ win season in the last 25 years. If we can win 1-2 games on the road and 1-2 of ND/LSU/tu then I would consider that a successful season.
one safe place
Iraq2xVeteran said:

We have a favorable home/away schedule with our toughest games against Notre Dame, Missouri, LSU, and Texas at home and winnable road games at Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Auburn. With that schedule, I am expecting a floor of 8-4 and a ceiling of 10-2. 9-3 would be considered a successful because it would mean winning 3 of our 4 toughest games and going 2-2 in road games after losing 10 consecutive road games (9 under Jimbo Fisher).
If you take away the cupcake games that are always at home, we actually haven't dominated at Kyle for a long time and our away record is terrible. Turning that around with a new coaching staff might be a tall order.
AGDAD14
BudFox7 said:

7-8 wins as usual

So maybe we'll have the same luck, as last time! Who knows who that unknown generational talent might be on this squad recruited by the last coach that got run out of town, like last time?
Aggie Class of 2026
bankshot11 said:

We need to aim for smaller gains this year. Overall win/loss record should not matter. We haven't won a road game in 3 years and have one 10+ win season in the last 25 years. If we can win 1-2 games on the road and 1-2 of ND/LSU/tu then I would consider that a successful season.

While I get what you're saying. This program is capable of so much more. If other programs can do better than what you're asking for with less, why can't this staff go 10-2?

The excuses have to stop. No one cares that it's year 1 for the new coaches. No one cares that Notre Dame is week 1. Execute plays, win games, move on...
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.