Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I am 35 years old.

13,281 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by aeon-ag
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?

StonewallAggieDEFENSE
HoustonAg2106 said:

SBISA Victim said:

Will Texas A&M meet its full potential and win a natty at some point in my lifetime? I am so tired of the false hope only for us to fall flat and become fodder for sips who think they "are back". I love Texas A&M and the football team. We have been perpetually underachieving since forever.

Only if we hired the right guy for once, time will tell

Sorry, we turned Tom Landry down for the job…and he ain't coming back.
MaroonStain
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

Objectively not many schools win national championships. I got a rough count of 12 different schools that have done it since 2000. The majority of them are in the SEC. The outliers like Clemson, Florida State, and Ohio State seem like they should continue to be contenders, especially in a 12 team CFB playoff.

No reason A&M can't be there with peer schools like LSU and Florida having done it before. Takes $, talent, coaching, and some luck. One could argue you've been missing on the last two, but other than Saban, Smart, and Meyer, I actually think there are many top tier coaches that are roughly equivalent to each other and they could all win NCs under the right situation. We'll see if Elko is one of these soon.

I ran the numbers earlier this year, and somewhere around 75-80 different schools have won a championship in football, men's basketball, or baseball since we won our last national championship. Relative to resources, we SUCK at sports and have gotten our asses handed to us by the likes of Baylor and TCU.

WTF has baylol done to be in this conversation? TCU made a CFP appearance and beat 2 of our best baseball teams in consecutive SR. What else?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
MaroonStain said:

Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

Objectively not many schools win national championships. I got a rough count of 12 different schools that have done it since 2000. The majority of them are in the SEC. The outliers like Clemson, Florida State, and Ohio State seem like they should continue to be contenders, especially in a 12 team CFB playoff.

No reason A&M can't be there with peer schools like LSU and Florida having done it before. Takes $, talent, coaching, and some luck. One could argue you've been missing on the last two, but other than Saban, Smart, and Meyer, I actually think there are many top tier coaches that are roughly equivalent to each other and they could all win NCs under the right situation. We'll see if Elko is one of these soon.

I ran the numbers earlier this year, and somewhere around 75-80 different schools have won a championship in football, men's basketball, or baseball since we won our last national championship. Relative to resources, we SUCK at sports and have gotten our asses handed to us by the likes of Baylor and TCU.

WTF has baylol done to be in this conversation? TCU made a CFP appearance and beat 2 of our best baseball teams in consecutive SR. What else?

Basketball national champs in 2021, basketball conference champs in 2021 and 2022, and football conference champs three times the past ten years with three top ten finishes.
northeastag
AG
Eddie Vedder said:

2012 says hello

Hello to what? Tied for second in the SEC West?
Muy
AG
An L of an Ag said:

54. We kicked ass during my college years. Except for 2012 I'm STILL waiting for any of these teams to match those years.

56 and we smoked Auburn and Bo Jackson my freshman year, ND and Tim Brown my junior year. And lots of sip ass-whipping. '85 sip victory at Kyle will always be my favorite game, but enjoyed the hell out of watching Johnny dismantle OU in the Cotton Bowl.
anaggieshusband
You won't believe how fast the next 15-20 years fly by
HoustonAggie37713
Winning a national championship will be much harder going forward. Winning 3-4 elite games will mean no more flukes where a conference is down or a play or two can save you. Very good odds we will win multiple SEC championships in your lifetime. Natty? Odds are against it.
jr15aggie
AG
Coryhub said:

I'm 46 - saw the 98 Big 12 Champ and went to sugar bowl, never thought that would be the only big time moment

I was at Southwest Texas (now Texas State) at that time and I had never rooted for A&M... I transferred to A&M the following year. So for me, A&M has NEVER won anything of major significance as a team.

The Cotton Bowl ass whoopin of OU & JFF / Heisman were about the only real big highlights. The Orange Bowl was nice but there's a Covid * for every team that year.
Bronco71
AG
anaggieshusband said:

You won't believe how fast the next 15-20 years fly by
... not to mention the next 55-60 years.

We won the Southwest Conference and beat Alabama in the Cotton Bowl my fish year back in 1967.

We then went a combined 8-23 my next three years.

For my buddies and me, waiting for the Ags to win a national championship in football just gives us another reason to live.

Relax and enjoy the ride!!
I have tried to look at things from your point of view, but I can never get my head that far up my [rear end].
— Anonymous

Bronco71
ABATTBQ87
AG
I graduated from A&M 36 years ago today.

Was fortunate to have been at school when the Aggies were successful in almost every sport.

The football team won 3 conference championships and 2 cotton bowls, beat tu 3 years in a row, had a 14 game home winning streak (Lost to Baylor in 84, and the LSU in 87), the 12th man kickoff team gave birth to the 12th man towel, Kyle Field became known as the loudest stadium in the SWC, and of course the media hated us
TX_Aggie37
AG
Kellso
JuneBug07 said:

Football and basketball…never happening.
I have a feeling that baseball will be relatively soon.
The issue with this statement is that college baseball is not a major sport. Womens Hoops is a larger sport than baseball and Gary Blair did win the 2011 National Title.

Buzz Williams will have this years team in the tourney...and anything can happen once you get past the 2nd round.
kbarj
AG
I graduated in 1977. At that time, the future of A&M football was bright. We were knocking on the door at a national level. We had beaten the Longhorns in the last two seasons. I felt sure a national championship (or at least playing for one) was probable in my lifetime. Now, I'm not so sure.
Bill '77
IslanderAg04
Eddie Vedder said:

Aggies won the Orange Bowl 3 years ago. In case you're new here.

Covid year has the * on it. I'm confident the 2012 team would have handily beat the 2019 covid* team.
JoeAggie5
Divining Rod
SBISA Victim said:

Will Texas A&M meet its full potential and win a natty at some point in my lifetime? I am so tired of the false hope only for us to fall flat and become fodder for sips who think they "are back". I love Texas A&M and the football team. We have been perpetually underachieving since forever.

Thank you for coming to me. I do have the answer to when A&M will win it's next Championship, but in order to answer your question fully, I will need to know a little bit more about your health and medical history.
DE4D
AG
i'm worried Aggie NC means WW3
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
SinKiller
IslanderAg04 said:

Eddie Vedder said:

Covid year has the * on it. I'm confident the 2012 team would have handily beat the 2019 covid* team.
2012 would have destroyed the '19 team, it wouldn't have been a game.
Max Power
AG
Aggie_Nuke
AG
SBISA Victim said:

Hate to tell you this buddy, but I'm more than twice your age, and all you have to look forward to is Aggie Football Mediocrity........ no one will live long enough to ever see us overcome Mediocrity by winning a NATTY.

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
Muy
AG
35 and you're giving up? lol.

Let's say you went became an Aggie 17 years ago. You are barely at the 20% mark of your life as an Aggie.
Sharpshooter
AG
kbarj said:

I graduated in 1977. At that time, the future of A&M football was bright. We were knocking on the door at a national level. We had beaten the Longhorns in the last two seasons. I felt sure a national championship (or at least playing for one) was probable in my lifetime. Now, I'm not so sure.

This. 80 graduate here and I am dubious of realizing it within my lifetime.
texAZtea
AG
Smells like all kinds of ***** in here.

Both the "waaah my team lost" whiners and the "accept mediocrity because we aren't capable of better" wimps.
aggiese72
AG
My dad, Class of '42,saw the 1039 National Champions Ags play. Does that count?
Sharpshooter
AG
texAZtea said:

Smells like all kinds of ***** in here.

Both the "waaah my team lost" whiners and the "accept mediocrity because we aren't capable of better" wimps.
Don't forget the "I deny history" crowd.
74AnimalA
AG
SBISA Victim said:

Ask me in 36 years.
aggiejim70
AG
I had 35 years invested in this Groundhog Day loop the day you were born.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Divining Rod
SinKiller said:

IslanderAg04 said:

Eddie Vedder said:

2012 would have destroyed the '19 team, it wouldn't have been a game.

We had a 2019 Covid team, 'sip? maybe your 'sips did. Or at least they played like it.
ColtAg21
ElephantRider said:

A&M will never win a national championship in football, men's basketball, or baseball. Manage your expectations, and the losses will be easier to take
I probably agree with you on football and basketball but I think we have good chance in baseball.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
In the last 25 years, we have finished with 2 or fewer losses just twice: 11-2 (6-2 SEC) in 2012 and 9-1 (8-1 SEC) in 2020. We finished 9-3 in 2006 and 2010, but both seasons ended in 17+ point bowl losses. We finished 9-4 two other times in 2013 and 2018 after bowl wins. For the 19th time in 25 years, we finished with 8 or fewer wins. In summary, we are usually a middle-of-the-road team in both the Big 12 and SEC with a good or great season once a decade.
Pumpkinhead
AG
100% chance we make the college football playoff at least once in the next 10 seasons. Anyone doubt this?
Trajan88
AG
I was 33 the last time the Ags won a conference championship.

I am 58 now.

Hopefully I will NOT be 6 feet under when we win a national championship.

Charlie 31
AG

The start of World War II was a long time ago.
The last Texas Aggie football national championship was a long time ago.
Meximan
vander54 said:

Not until you become a man

I'll be a MAN in about half a year

I'm not sure if I should feel happy or sad
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.