Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Now that it's official… internal list of shortcomings with Jimbo

12,033 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by . . .
Mar00nAG_18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's simple, no top notch QB play. Everyone who's winning has quality QB play, or an elite roster around them…. Oh wait we had an elite roster and still couldn't win…
Alex580
AG
Correct me if im wrong but I dont think jimbo ever had a 1k yard receiver here or a 3k passer. Thats insane with the talent and him being an offensive coach.
Shoefly!
AG
RGLAG85 said:

OBJTEX said:

infinity ag said:

OBJTEX said:

Dont care, got Jimbo

Lord. The number of times we said that here like an anthem.

Yep. Embarrassing.

Not really, all the media and everyone else thought it was a homerun, program changing hire.

It didn't turn out, so move on.

I think they were more impressed with the amount of money little Ol A&M threw at Jimbo. That's all we heard from them!
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I wouldn't count 2020 as "important loss".

We went 9-1 (8-1 SEC) and only lost to the national champ

That one loss was by a pretty big margin, and 6 of those SEC teams ended up with losing records. We didn't make the playoffs because we didn't exactly have a great resume and really **** the bed in our one game against a playoff caliber opponent.
orag80
AG
I saw "grit" was listed. His teams never showed up on the road with a swagger that "we are about to run you out of your own stadium". Way too tentative (and predictable). Never any swagger like we saw Saturday night regardless of opponent.
Reed McDonald 92
AG
agchugger said:

It's quite amazing how fast jturner turns from a loyalist to a pot banger on these boards. That dude will fiercely defend any coach up until the day the coach is fired and then be there to spit on his grave the next day.
I was thinking OP should change his name to Bipolar Ag.
Justwinags
So, I never saw any talk on here about "Lil Fish" until now. Is / was he off limits because yes, the cringe factor was becoming unbearable.
Flavius Agximus
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AgfromHOU said:

6 of those SEC teams ended up with losing records.
The reason for that was that SEC teams only played each other, so of course more would have losing records than if each of those teams also played 4 noncom games and less SEC teams. Just like we would have had a 10-win season. The argument that well a lot of those teams we beat had losing records is exactly because they only played each other. Not really a reason to knock the accomplishment.

"The goal for all our teams at Texas A&M is to perform at a consistently high level and compete for conference and national titles."
Flavius Agximus
AG
orag80 said:

I saw "grit" was listed. His teams never showed up on the road with a swagger that "we are about to run you out of your own stadium". Way too tentative (and predictable). Never any swagger like we saw Saturday night regardless of opponent.
Some consideration should be given to hiring Sumlin as away games coordinator. We did better on the road than at home under him.

"The goal for all our teams at Texas A&M is to perform at a consistently high level and compete for conference and national titles."
greg.w.h
AG
Should we re-hire Jimbo so we can fire him again?
DecadePlan
AG
Oh. I thought it was because he didn't "get" A&M.

(ducks & covers)
Magneto
AG
Grit
Impose our will
Execute
Pinned them back
Chip block
44 Farms
TheGreatEscape
infinity ag said:

I was euphoric when A&M hired Jimbo. But then I started to doubt his ability when this "QB whisperer" was not able to get a good QB. All of his QBs sucked. A real QB coach should be able to take an average QB and turn them into winners. Jimbo could not even attract 5* QB talent until Wiggy came along.

He was more like always the "QB freak out whiner"

DecadePlan
AG
Is it true that Jimbo always confronted his QB as the offense was trotting off with the phrase, "Not awful, but you're no Jameis?"
one safe place
The fact that I haven't decommitted tells you all you need to know.
VikingNik
AG
one safe place said:

The fact that I haven't decommitted tells you all you need to know.

(Thumbs up)
Sq 17
Possibly his players associated their NIL payments with their coach

Jimbo was not writing the check but because Jimbo wanted that player
The player was getting paid
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Jimbo Fisher's SEC record is 27-21 (0.5625), which is slightly higher than Kevin Sumlin's 25-23 (0.521). Sumlin was fired for his inability to win SEC home games, and Jimbo was fired for his inability to win road games.

1. Jimbo Fisher went 16-6 (0.727) in SEC home games, including 10-5 (0.667) against SEC West teams. In contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 8-14 (0.571) in SEC home games. Even worse, he went a putrid 3-12 (0.200) in home games against SEC West teams, including a 7-game losing streak at the end of his tenure.

2. Jimbo Fisher was 7-14 (0.333) in SEC road games. Even worse, he went a putrid 3-11 (0.214) in road games against SEC West teams, including our current 6-game losing streak since a 31-20 win at Auburn on 12/5/2020. In contrast, Kevin Sumlin went 13-9 (0.591), including 9-8 (0.529) against SEC West teams.

3. Jimbo Fisher lost 9 consecutive road games, including 8 SEC road games, since a 35-14 win over Missouri on 10/16/2021.

4. In year 5, Jimbo Fisher lost to Appalachian State 17-14 at home on 9/10/2022. That was the first time we lost to a non-Power 5 team since an 18-14 loss to Arkansas State in 2008, which was also the previous time we missed bowl eligibility before a 5-7 finish last year. Sumlin never finished worse than 7-5 in the regular season.

5. In year 5, Jimbo Fisher posted a 2-6 SEC record and finished last in the SEC West because he lost both games against SEC East opponents South Carolina and Florida. Kevin Sumlin's worst SEC record was 3-5 and worst finish was 6th in the SEC West in 2014.
Johnsy3
AG
W said:

and the NFL draft woes...

-- Jimbo did not have a WR drafted during his tenure

(he will get credit for Ainias in the next draft)

-- Jimbo only had one LB drafted during his tenure

(Buddy Johnson in the 4th round -- former Sumlin recruit)

-- Jimbo did not have any DB's drafted in the 1st thru 4th rounds

(highest was Antonio Johnson as a 5th rounder)
AggBock
AG
It all started when he gave a press conference and said "we just didn't execute". That got everyone fired up. I notice he didn't say that this year.
Iowaggie
AG
jturner181 said:

1. NFL grading services stated Jimbo was the worst play caller in power 5 football (on multiple occasions).
2. Competent assistants turned down Jimbo in record numbers (they knew how little Jimbo knew about modern schemes)
3. Jimbo often overstated playing time to favored players (like Max Johnson).
4. Numerous complaints about Jimbo inside athletic department and with student services about Jimbo's handling of players; (verbal degradation).

Sounds like a cultural problem in the locker room with Jimbo.

#1 can't be true while Kirk Ferentz has his son Brian as OC.

TxAg76
AG
6. Didn't execute on the things in which we do, and how we do 'em
TxAg76
AG
BQAg84 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

AgfromHOU said:

6 of those SEC teams ended up with losing records.
The reason for that was that SEC teams only played each other, so of course more would have losing records than if each of those teams also played 4 noncom games and less SEC teams. Just like we would have had a 10-win season. The argument that well a lot of those teams we beat had losing records is exactly because they only played each other. Not really a reason to knock the accomplishment.

This place doesn't do logic or sense.
They look at a stat that someone else pulls up, and then it's a collective use of their Jump To Conclusion mats

Divining Rod
He was a bad coach and there was more than enough evidence.
aeon-ag
jturner181 said:

1. NFL grading services stated Jimbo was the worst play caller in power 5 football (on multiple occasions).
2. Competent assistants turned down Jimbo in record numbers (they knew how little Jimbo knew about modern schemes)
3. Jimbo often overstated playing time to favored players (like Max Johnson).
4. Numerous complaints about Jimbo inside athletic department and with student services about Jimbo's handling of players; (verbal degradation).

Sounds like a cultural problem in the locker room with Jimbo.
He's been fired!!! He's gone!!!! Can't you people move on from that??!! What good does is do to keep beating this dead horse???!!!

LET IT GO!!!!!!!
aglaes
AG
Shoefly! said:

RGLAG85 said:

OBJTEX said:

infinity ag said:

OBJTEX said:

Dont care, got Jimbo

Lord. The number of times we said that here like an anthem.

Yep. Embarrassing.

Not really, all the media and everyone else thought it was a homerun, program changing hire.

It didn't turn out, so move on.

I think they were more impressed with the amount of money little Ol A&M threw at Jimbo. That's all we heard from them!
But when the media dug a little deeper they realized that A&M is one of the richest (if not the richest) programs in the country, with all the resources needed to succeed. That changed the national media perception and started raising the questions outside of A&M about why we haven't been more successful.
Buzzkill
Justwinags said:

So, I never saw any talk on here about "Lil Fish" until now. Is / was he off limits because yes, the cringe factor was becoming unbearable.

My first thought (ok maybe second thought) upon hearing jimbo was canned was that all the players immediately deleted juniors number out of their phones. No longer any need to pretend they're friends with that strange little fella.

Jimbo allowing his kid to wear all that bling on the sideline should have been a huge red flag!
greg.w.h
AG
Divining Rod said:

He was a bad coach and there was more than enough evidence.
He was a mediocre coach hired to win a national championship. The 2020 season was our best since 1939 and a half game from a semi according to the committee chair.

If any other coach did that they would have been raised and extended. I'd love if the fan base would actually admit that. You can start DR.
oldord
AG
SARATOGA said:

His hat never fit right. Nobody bothered to find a nice hat, either fitted or One Size All......but it always looked like someone stopped at WalMart and got a childs Aggie Hat and then Jimbo put it on and the headset made it more crooked with a velcro strap that was also crooked. Not a good look for a 10 million dollar man on the sidelines.

Additionally, certain um, a certain millennial relative hanging onto Jimbo post game with an Aggie shirt and all kind of diamond encrusted (I think the kids call it DRIP). Running out with the team, hanging out on the sidelines.....just weird. Not a proper entourage member, just a lot of cringe.

(It was tolerable when he was little, but over 18 it was just weird)
This - little fish was on his jersey, just gross
Emilio Fantastico
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AgfromHOU said:

That one loss was by a pretty big margin, and 6 of those SEC teams ended up with losing records. We didn't make the playoffs because we didn't exactly have a great resume and really **** the bed in our one game against a playoff caliber opponent.
1. We had the closest score of anyone to Bama that year except ND may have matched it in the playoffs because Saban called off the dogs midway through the 3rd quarter.

2. You do realize that when it is an all conference schedule half the teams lose every week so no padding your record with 4 easy OOC wins. With a handful of teams going undefeated/1-loss, it leaves a lot of teams with losing records.

Bill Clinternet
AG
The only winner here is Jimbo.

He outsmarted the university, the Board of Regents and the Athletic Director.

He is getting paid $75M for failure.

Simply remarkable.
"I am neither an Athenian nor a Greek, but a citizen of the world"-Plato, attributed to Socrates, Theaetetus-
Emilio Fantastico
AG
W said:

and the NFL draft woes...

-- Jimbo did not have a WR drafted during his tenure

(he will get credit for Ainias in the next draft)

-- Jimbo only had one LB drafted during his tenure

(Buddy Johnson in the 4th round -- former Sumlin recruit)

-- Jimbo did not have any DB's drafted in the 1st thru 4th rounds

(highest was Antonio Johnson as a 5th rounder)
The other thing with this was the number of guys that would come into their last year as 1st or 2nd Round projections only to have disappointing years and plummet in the draft. The lack of development was astounding.
Bigdaddycigar
AG
I'm going to make a wild guess, but he also seems dyslexic. Can't remember players names sometimes, makes dumb decisions when he has to make one quick, very good salesman as most dyslexics are and uses cheesecake menu to make play calls as he has trouble remembering instructions.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Divining Rod
you can say whatever you want about the coach, but talking about his son should be completely off-limits to all but the most callous, indecent, and downright miserable excuses of human beings. STFU.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.