Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

sobering thought - 1998 Big 12 Championship Game

8,700 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Ozamataz Buckshank 01
Seamaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to high school in Kansas and during my senior year I went with my girlfriend and her family to the Big 12 Championship in St Louis. Her family were huge KSU people.

That year KSU was undefeated and ranked #1 I think heading into that game. The Aggies scraped into the game by winning the Big 12 south and weren't expected to win.

After falling behind early, the Aggies clawed back and took the game into OT where they won the famous "he made a touchdown" play by Sirr Parker.

And that was the last conference championship the Aggies won.

A poster named "Cromagnum" just posted on another thread a sober statistic. Since that game, the Aggies are 185-125.

Through Slocum, Fran, Sherman, Sumlin and Fisher.l a 59.6% win percentage is what we've achieved.

And in those 24 years, you gotta account for 3 cream puff directional schools per year. So when you account for those games, the Aggies are probably closer to 50% win percentage in conference play/power 5 play.

All the money. All the donations. All the hand wringing over recruiting.

And we get a 50/50 program.

It's really sad.

Meanwhile programs that have way less in terms of money and investment are way more successful.

So, in conclusion. That big 12 championship game just may have been the high point of my Aggie fan-life. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go to A&M at the time.
Cromagnum
AG
Yeah. I had to look it up this morning. I was a fish in 1999 so missed the glory season by 1 year, and have seen nothing but disappointment on the field for the 25 years I've officially been an Ag. It's hard to stomach.
TxAg76
AG
TXAG 05
AG
What are the stats for the same time frame for every team not named Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson and Georgia? Probably pretty similar.
TxAg76
AG
TxAg76 said:

Recruit talent.
Develop talent.
Become a farm team for the NFL, that's putting 8+ into the DRAFT (not just the League) each year, consistently.

Our coach needs to be able to create that.
Otherwise we're not gonna win the way we wanna win.
Only Fans Director
Seamaster said:

Meanwhile programs that have way less in terms of money and investment are way more successful.
It takes football players, not money, to win games.
Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
Seamaster
AG
Only Fans Director said:

Seamaster said:

Um, I am pretty sure our recruiting has been pretty stellar, on paper, basically every year. And I've watched a lot of games every year and pretty sure we have players on our team every weekend.
Texker
AG
I was at that game, In fact, wearing the sweatshirt now.
ServeAces
TXAG 05 said:

What are the stats for the same time frame for every team not named Alabama, Ohio St, Clemson and Georgia? Probably pretty similar.

Texas is 218-97
TxAg76
AG
ServeAces said:

TXAG 05 said:

Texas is 218-97

Mack Brown did a nice job in that timeframe, yes
TxAg76
AG
Seamaster said:

Only Fans Director said:

Seamaster said:

Um, I am pretty sure our recruiting has been pretty stellar, on paper, basically every year. And I've watched a lot of games every year and pretty sure we have players on our team every weekend.

On paper, LOL.
Stars don't mean **** once they arrive. And a lot of our star count ended up being cancers, and are gone

NFL draft boards don't lie when it comes to gauging a team's actual talent levels.
And we've only been putting 3 or 4 into the NFL draft each year. This year might be 3, maybe.

Whereas the teams we think we should be running with are putting in 8+ each year. Consistently.

We look in the mirror and think we're a half step from Bama/Georgia.
But in reality we're more like the Miss schools than we wanna admit.
We're just writing bigger checks.
Joes
Seamaster said:

I went to high school in Kansas and during my senior year I went with my girlfriend and her family to the Big 12 Championship in St Louis. Her family were huge KSU people.

That year KSU was undefeated and ranked #1 I think heading into that game. The Aggies scraped into the game by winning the Big 12 south and weren't expected to win.

After falling behind early, the Aggies clawed back and took the game into OT where they won the famous "he made a touchdown" play by Sirr Parker.

And that was the last conference championship the Aggies won.

A poster named "Cromagnum" just posted on another thread a sober statistic. Since that game, the Aggies are 185-125.

Through Slocum, Fran, Sumlin and Fisher.l a 59.6% win percentage is what we've achieved.

And in those 24 years, you gotta account for 3 cream puff directional schools per year. So when you account for those games, the Aggies are probably closer to 50% win percentage in conference play/power 5 play.

And we get a 50/50 program.

It's really sad.

So, in conclusion. That big 12 championship game just may have been the high point of my Aggie fan-life. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go to A&M at the time.
A&M is .604 all time so that's almost exactly maintaining the same historical level.
Blinnaggie2002
Sad
Seamaster
AG
TxAg76 said:

Seamaster said:

Only Fans Director said:

Seamaster said:

On paper, LOL.
Stars don't mean **** once they arrive. And a lot of our star count ended up being cancers, and are gone

NFL draft boards don't lie when it comes to gauging a team's actual talent levels.
And we've only been putting 3 or 4 into the NFL draft each year. This year might be 3, maybe.

Whereas the teams we think we should be running with are putting in 8+ each year. Consistently.

We look in the mirror and think we're a half step from Bama/Georgia.
But in reality we're more like the Miss schools than we wanna admit.
We're just writing bigger checks.

We're like the Miss schools except we lose to them darn near every year.
Citizen Reign

Quote:

To be fair, all of that wasn't a thing until Manziel and the SEC.

Oh wait, since then (76-81-1) 48.4% SEC
Post removed:
by user
Elastrator
What I think is worse, Jimbo in 6 years has almost as many losses as Saban in 17.
W
AG
one thing about the longhorns...

they do have a quick hook

Charlie Strong was fired after 3 years

Tom Herman after 4 years

it was funny when the sips had 3 head coaches on the payroll at the same time

but no one cares about that now
Aggie Apotheosis
W said:

one thing about the longhorns...

they do have a quick hook

Charlie Strong was fired after 3 years

Tom Herman after 4 years

it was funny when the sips had 3 head coaches on the payroll at the same time

but no one cares about that now

I hate those orange pukes.
Twelfthman99
AG
Ol Army went to Hell after I graduated.
Carmine Scarpacio
Since Sarkisian became the Texas coach, he has as many SEC road wins as Jimbo does.
MD20/20
AG
I'm pretty sure our all time 60% level is in the top 20 or 25
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Trajan88
AG
Here's a stat...

In 1998, I was 33.

Today, I am 58.

Ooof... time flies.
SpiderDude
AG
Carmine Scarpacio said:

Since Sarkisian became the Texas coach, he has as many SEC road wins as Jimbo does.

Ouch.
Aggie_Nuke
AG
I was at that game as well.

Minor correction: K-State did not enter the game ranked #1, instead they were #2, and UCLA was #1. However, at half time it was announced that UCLA was beaten, which meant that K_State became #1 at the half. Of course after we won, they were no longer #1, so it was a short-lived ranking for K-State.

I agree completely with your assessment of the Aggies as a 50/50 (average) team. As I've said several times, we haven't done anything for the last 84 years, and you can expect more of the same for the next 84 years. Even though I loved seeing the win in St. Louis, neither that game or any other came close to a Natty.

Keep your bowl games, conference championships, and all other games short of a Natty. If we can't win a Natty in 84 years, we never will......

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
greg.w.h
AG
Spoiling seasons of others. It's what we do…
Bottlehead90
AG
Every team plays cream puffs for non-conference play not only A&M.
Not all conference wins are equal.
Some teams play in cream puff conferences.

The zoo has high standards for the football team and that is great, but if the people complaining would live up to your own high standards you would have enough money to fix the problem.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Texas A&M All-time record 771-498-48 (.604)
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
NyAggie
AG
Here's a sobering stat:

Since 1998 we've had 1 10+ win season and a 9 win covid season (which is like a 10+ win season)

So only 2 seasons in the last 25 where we were actually really good

Cromagnum
AG
NyAggie said:

Here's a sobering stat:

Since 1998 we've had 1 10+ win season and a 9 win covid season (which is like a 10+ win season)

So only 2 seasons in the last 25 where we were actually really good

And that's a huge problem. Next year, the sips are going to join the SEC and likely punch everyone in the mouth like we did our first year, and that probably includes stomping our ass too. The whole program needs to be burned to the ground and start over from scratch if they get a conference title before we do, even with a 13 year head start.
Kozmozag
If we could only get Dan Campbell to come home.
Aggiebyblood
TX_COWDOC said:

Texas A&M All-time record 771-498-48 (.604)
I was at the 68 Cotton Bowl as a 12-year-old. Listened to or watched 500 +- games since. Outside of a couple of years to remember, it's always been like this. .604 actually sounds better than my memory. But in the end, just an average team over the years. Always had great players, just nobody with consistant X's and O's.
HoustonAggie37713
TXAG 05 said:

A lot of teams have won a conference title in the last quarter century. We haven't even played for one.
schmellba99
AG
ServeAces said:

TXAG 05 said:

Texas is 218-97
OU is 252-65
schmellba99
AG
Aggie_Nuke said:

I was at that game as well.

Minor correction: K-State did not enter the game ranked #1, instead they were #2, and UCLA was #1. However, at half time it was announced that UCLA was beaten, which meant that K_State became #1 at the half. Of course after we won, they were no longer #1, so it was a short-lived ranking for K-State.

I agree completely with your assessment of the Aggies as a 50/50 (average) team. As I've said several times, we haven't done anything for the last 84 years, and you can expect more of the same for the next 84 years. Even though I loved seeing the win in St. Louis, neither that game or any other came close to a Natty.

Keep your bowl games, conference championships, and all other games short of a Natty. If we can't win a Natty in 84 years, we never will......
K State was #2 in the AP, #1 in the Coaches and #3 in the BCS when we played them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.