Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Recruiting

130,658 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by levypantsEOY
Sterling82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
vander54 said:

LesterHaze said:

We need depth at that position group. We truly need to sign 5 this year and next year too. Just to get a pool of guys to find 3 quality starters and 3 serviceable backups.

We don't use 3 LB. We do not need to sign 5 this year and nect year.

We do need to sign several this year and then maintain 2-3 every cycle.

Agreed. Yes, we really needed Hill but I think we picked up 2 quality guys last year. And I believe Harris also has a bright future. In my view it's more critical how we put whoever is on the field in good position to make plays.
LesterHaze
vander54 said:

LesterHaze said:

vander54 said:

LesterHaze said:

We need depth at that position group. We truly need to sign 5 this year and next year too. Just to get a pool of guys to find 3 quality starters and 3 serviceable backups.

Fair enough. Let's just agree we need LBer's in numbers. We have been using a two linebacker alignment out of necessity, not preference.

Wrong. We run a base 4-2-5. We want to use 2 LB a majority of the time but be able to move to 3-3-5 when necessary without changing the personne
You are 100% incorrect. The alignment we run currently (with zero options to do otherwise) vs the alignments we would like to run, are two completely different things. We've run two linebacker sets the last 5 years because our 2nd and 3rd best roster linebackers have been walkon quality. The same way a team with a perpetually weak WR corps doesn't feature 5 wide offensive sets. We will run 2, 3 and 4 LBer sets, if we ever get the position group talent north of debilitating.
vander54
S
LesterHaze said:

vander54 said:

LesterHaze said:

vander54 said:

LesterHaze said:

Fair enough. Let's just agree we need LBer's in numbers. We have been using a two linebacker alignment out of necessity, not preference.

Wrong. We run a base 4-2-5. We want to use 2 LB a majority of the time but be able to move to 3-3-5 when necessary without changing the personne
You are 100% incorrect. The alignment we run currently (with zero options to do otherwise) vs the alignments we would like to run, are two completely different things. We've run two linebacker sets the last 5 years because our 2nd and 3rd best roster linebackers have been walkon quality. The same way a team with a perpetually weak WR corps doesn't feature 5 wide offensive sets. We will run 2, 3 and 4 LBer sets, if we ever get the position group talent north of debilitating.

Elko is a base 4-2-5 guy. It's what he runs and why we ran it here.

Durkin was brought in and continued to use the 4-2-5 base but he has run multiple fronts over the years.
World's worst proofreader
Logos Stick
We rarely ran 4 down last year.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Logos Stick said:

We rarely ran 4 down last year.

That has proven to be totally false on here multiple times.
Of course, opening with a 3-2-6 set against league leading rushing team Ole Miss was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
Maroon Flash
AG
"opening with a 3-2-6 set against league leading rushing team Ole Miss was about the dumbest thing I've ever seen."

You sir deserve 2 stars for that statement! Made me about as frustrated as watching Fran eat Little Debbie's on the sideline.
Maroon Flash
KatyAggie2000
AG
If we don't run 4 down more and let these men eat we'll see the portal on a couple I'd imagine. We have the depth to run in two groups if 4 DL that are dogs. Need to use our strength.
vander54
S
We should this year. More experience on the interior will be huge.
DTuba
Keep checking this thread to see if there were any rumination or vague opinions on this weekend's recruiting. Overall success and buzz moving forward? Was there some disappointment?

Instead its the about what kind of defensive front we will run this season. More recruiting please.

Or add in some offensive formation/tactic speculation to balance the defensive speculations. Will we actually have 4 or 5 out wide sometimes? Will we really see a 3 TE set like Max mentioned once upon a time?
dannyv
AG
Yo, Vander, should I stop checking back for the rest of the day?
AgSnacks16
AG
Get used to it. Every year, there is a lot of hype and talk going into the pool party, but there is very little info that makes it to the zoo. The event is almost always successful and the premium subs here things. The zoo won't know until someone commits which could be a while.
vander54
S
Possibly.

Things went well but no obvious announcements soon.
vander54
S
There is an outside shot we get an official announcement today.
Noctilucent
AG
vander54 said:

There is an outside shot we get an official announcement today.
That would be. . .soothing.
AG
Sure has been a lot of smoke around Bussey lately.
whatthehey78
AG
Will we find out who attended and or who didn't??
cs69ag
AG
I imagine the 11th hour NIL $$$ negotiation among bidders takes a little time
vander54
S
whatthehey78 said:

Will we find out who attended and or who didn't??

Batty said:

Updated list with 7 of the 5*. Who did I miss?

Micah Hudson 5* No
Kobe Black 5*
Terry Bussey 5*
Colin Simmons 5* No
Nigel Smith II 4*
Aydin Breland 5* No
Xavier Atkins 4*
Kam Mikell 4*
Ryan Wingo 5*

2025 Josh Moses
2025 Kelvion Riggins 4*
2025 Devin Sanchez 5*
2025 Kiotti Armstrong 4*
2025 Zion Williams 4*
2025 Elijah Barnes 4*

This is fairly accurate. Except for the names I put no by.

There were more but I haven't seen those names leaked yet.
DTuba
Well we could add to the convo and speculate about offense? I heard there will be more motions.
AG
The three you put a "no" by seem to have had very little interest in A&M from the beginning, in particular Simmons. No surprises there. Can't get em all.
levypantsEOY
4 said:

The three you put a "no" by seem to have had very little interest in A&M from the beginning, in particular Simmons. No surprises there. Can't get em all.

I don't understand why Simmons isn't high priority for Jimbo. Best natural d lineman recruit since Von.
AG
Nobody said he isn't a high priority for Jimbo.

Jimbo just doesn't seem to be a high priority for him.

And Von wasn't a d lineman. He was a linebacker.
levypantsEOY
Von was a weakside defensive end coming out of high school, same as Simmons. They are almost identical though Simmons has maybe 10 more pounds on him at his age.
greg.w.h
AG
Losing Coach Price might set back our DFW recruiting some. But I doubt we will intentionally abandon the area. I'll note his name was recently removed from the 12thman.com staff roster. That implies they could be working on filling the coaching slot if not that position group-focused coach.
vander54
S
greg.w.h said:

Losing Coach Price might set back our DFW recruiting some. But I doubt we will intentionally abandon the area. I'll note his name was recently removed from the 12thman.com staff roster. That implies they could be working on filling the coaching slot if not that position group-focused coach.

Probably won't have a permanent replacement until after the season.
Bill Superman
AG
So what happened with all of those commitments that were supposed to happen this weekend?
vander54
S
Bill Superman said:

So what happened with all of those commitments that were supposed to happen this weekend?

Expectations were 2-3. Sounds promising but also sounds like the kids want to wait to announce. Obviously a silent commitment is not the same as a public commitment but I think we hear about a few new additions soon.

And no I don't know how soon.
dannyv
AG
vander54 said:

Bill Superman said:

Expectations were 2-3. Sounds promising but also sounds like the kids want to wait to announce. Obviously a silent commitment is not the same as a public commitment but I think we hear about a few new additions soon.

Per my earlier post about you producing the positive outcomes, your lack of a timeline is displeasing and will be reflected on your performance review.
beerad12man
AG
Von was an edge rusher. It's semantics. He'd be a WDE in this system or under Elko.
beerad12man
AG
Bill Superman said:

I was afraid with some seeting an o/u of 2.5 or 3.5 commitments during the weekend that they were creating unrealistic expectations that would just lead to disappointment. The general rule is that you usually don't get the commitments during the event. Maybe 1 if you are lucky. But it usually comes afterwards. For example, during the 2022 class, our pool party was considered a bust for a long time to anyone on the outside looking in. Idiots who didn't realize how well we had set ourselves up with guys like Stewart, Nolen, Matthews, Bouie, Harris, Moss, Marshall, Dewberry, Anderson, and at the time even Perkins and Bear Alexander, etc. We ended up signing about 9 of the 12-13 we really wanted from that event.

We picked up on commit on August 6th and one on August 13th after the event. Our next one wasn't until November 6th.

We then landed 7 guys from November 6 until February from that class for 9 total who attended that party in what was statistically the best class of all time in the modern era.

Looking at the list again now? I bet we end up with 6-9 from this pool party who end up signing with us, too.
StinkyPinky
AG
Good news: We've had lots more people interested in recruiting dynamics since our record breaking 2022 class.
Bad news: We've had lots more people interested in recruiting dynamics since our record breaking 2022 class.
13B
vander54 said:

Bill Superman said:

Then what the heck are we paying you for!

Thanks for all you do!
whatthehey78
AG
All right...I'll patiently wait.........

There. So who'd we get????????????????
vander54
S
I will say Xavier Atkins is no longer committed to LSU based on his 247 profile and he's trending our way with CB and forecast.
Bill Superman
AG
So did we get any feedback on the weekend?

Was the bbq any good or did we use Lincoln Riley's recipe, was the pool like warm soup, was the water even wet, did the coeds show up to entertain our guests, did we have any surprise visitors?

Sure did seem quiet for such a big weekend…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.