Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Recruiting

130,693 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by levypantsEOY
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
4 said:

He's a lot small. And a lot fast.

You can be small and play when you're that fast, but wow. He's REALLY little. Not sure how that works at this level.

150 is small but not ridiculously small. There have been a few greats recently that were around that wait out of HS. 5'8" is pretty short though.
World's worst proofreader
beerad12man
AG
Campbell is probably 5-7.5, 145 ish. He's tiny man. I'd say he classifies as ridiculously small for this level. MAYBE he gets to 165. Maybe. But I'm not even sure of that.

Either way, with that kind of speed, he could certainly still be a weapon. We aren't taking him as part of a 3 man WR class. We are taking him as a 5th WR in a class that already has 6-3 180(and honestly looks longer than that), 6-0 190/200 depending on where you look at his profile, 6-0 180, 6-2 195 size in it. We definitely have WR covered even if he just can't cut it at this level.
beerad12man
AG
FWIW, even if he doesn't do too much at WR, but ends up being Kevontae Turpin on special teams? He's worth it.
cupcakesprinkles
AG
When lsu had Trindon Holliday he was only 5'5 and 165 pounds. He did very well for them and even got drafted. Hopefully Ernest fits that mold.
whatthehey78
AG
Don't know his name, but K State had a really short RB that was quite explosive, not to mention evasive.
Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but upon what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? Upon force! But Jesus Christ founded His upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him. - Napoleon Bonaparte
StinkyPinky
AG
whatthehey78 said:

Don't know his name, but K State had a really short RB that was quite explosive, not to mention evasive.
Darren Sproles
P.U.T.U
AG
Or he can switch over to track, 10.22 would be in the top 15 last year at the NCAA finals.
StinkyPinky
AG
Rondale Moore is 5'7"
beerad12man
AG
He may be talking about Deuce Vaughn.
AG
vander54 said:

4 said:

You can be small and play when you're that fast, but wow. He's REALLY little. Not sure how that works at this level.

150 is small but not ridiculously small. There have been a few greats recently that were around that wait out of HS. 5'8" is pretty short though.

His height is no concern.

But 150 in D1 football, never mind the SEC West, is indeed tiny. I'll bet there aren't 5 players at that weight in the entire conference.
AG
whatthehey78 said:

Again, short isn't the issue.

Sproles was 190 lbs. He was short but thick.
vander54
S
4 said:

vander54 said:

4 said:

But 150 in D1 football, never mind the SEC West, is indeed tiny. I'll bet there aren't 5 players at that weight in the entire conference.

Devonta Smith was 150 at 6'
AG
Ok. There's one.

It's really, really small for major D1 football.
vander54
S
4 said:

Ok. There's one.

It's really, really small for major D1 football.

I agree it's small but with his speed it's worth the risk
mitchdpm
AG
infinity ag said:

Timberwolf said:

"I love being on a team that's hated."

This. I like him

I see he that he is good with words.
Let's see if he has the football moves to back it all up.

We have had a lot of talk big guy who lay an egg on the field when it counts.

What I see is that you are NOT "good with words".
TAM85
P.U.T.U said:

Or he can switch over to track, 10.22 would be in the top 15 last year at the NCAA finals.
Well then, welcome and gig 'em?
AZAggie44
AG
vander54 said:

4 said:

vander54 said:

4 said:

Devonta Smith was 150 at 6'
Exactly. 150 lbs is definitely an outlier in terms of a prototypical #1 WR, but we're talking about one player in a class of 4-5 WR's that has an elite skillset in terms of speed. It's also not as rare as people are making it out to be. We're talking about a guy who just finished his junior year. He's likely to end up 160 or so by the time he graduates with another year of growing/weight training/maturing.

Devonta Smith 160 lbs in high school
Marquise Brown 160 lbs in high school
Desean Jackson 170 lbs in high school
Cooper Kupp 170 lbs in high school
Tyler Lockett 160 lbs in high school
Hunter Renfrow 165 lbs in high school

Not saying this guy will ever be on that level, but I definitely like taking a chance on someone that has the same 100m time as Tyreek Hill did in high school.
maroon89
AG
Tyrone Thurman was 5' 3'' and 140 lbs. Gave me fits returning punts against us
vander54
S
Exactly.
saysomethin
AG
Any other commitments set other than Ernest this weekend?
vander54
S
saysomethin said:

Any other commitments set other than Ernest this weekend?

Not that I know of but there are a few that could drop at any moment.
Noctilucent
AG
It looks like Ernest Campbell postponed his commitment for another hour. Hoping he's not having second thoughts about joining the good guys!
vander54
S
Noctilucent said:

It looks like Ernest Campbell postponed his commitment for another hour. Hoping he's not having second thoughts about joining the good guys!

We should now something by 6:45ish and that has been known all flday
Noctilucent
AG
vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

Then I must've misread something since it looked like 530 was the time initially. It'll all be moot if he brings his jet speed to Aggieland.
vander54
S
Noctilucent said:

vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

Then I must've misread something since it looked like 530 was the time initially. It'll all be moot if he brings his jet speed to Aggieland.

He said 5:30 but it was more of a 5:30-6:45 thing
Bill Superman
AG
Noctilucent
AG
vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

Apparently so! Let's see, someone, somewhere, posted a certain Tyreek Hill ran a 10.22/100M in high school. I like the odds!
Noctilucent
AG
Oh, btw speed kills. . .especially the opposing team!
vander54
S
Noctilucent said:

vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

Apparently so! Let's see, someone, somewhere, posted a certain Tyreek Hill ran a 10.22/100M in high school. I like the odds!

His personal best in HS was a 10.19 Campbell ran a 10.22
Noctilucent
AG
vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

vander54 said:

Noctilucent said:

His personal best in HS was a 10.19 Campbell ran a 10.22

Close enough, agreed?
vander54
S
Pool party weekend should be huge. Both in visitors and commitments.

We already have a few 5 stars that will be in attendance (can't give names just yet), we should also see a couple commitments.
whatthehey78
AG
Pool party in sight and no new/surprise Fong's or CB's. Not worried...BUT...I am a bit surprised.
vander54
S
whatthehey78 said:

Pool party in sight and no new/surprise Fong's or CB's. Not worried...BUT...I am a bit surprised.

Probably won't see many if any until the weekend. We should see at least 2 commitments, one has been hinted at and the other will get us started.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
whatthehey78 said:

I'd expect momentum coming out of the pool party, not going into it (though we do have some momentum).

If I remember right, most people were calling the pool party 2 years ago a "bust" because of few immediate commits...but it was a springboard into the best class of all time (which is still ridiculously loaded, even if you remove the guys we lost).
CCAD AG
whatthehey78 said:

As they say in the Zoo, "Surprising, but not unexpected".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.