Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Recruiting

130,723 Views | 503 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by levypantsEOY
Emilio Fantastico
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The future is Bright
vander54
S
TX_Aggie37 said:

vander54 said:

So many recruiting "experts" on here
I appreciate the insight you bring to this board, and I generally take a "wait and see" approach to recruiting rather than "the sky is falling", but it doesn't take an expert to know we need to step it up in a big way and close the 2023 class strong. Sure it's only June, but it's June for the folks in the top 10 too. More big names may in fact be coming. I just hope they are big enough.

Sure we need a few big names but we are most likely going to land a few here shortly. We have a strong start right now and will get better.
World's worst proofreader
amercer
AG
vander54 said:

For the last 18 months you've done nothing but pump sunshine on the recruiting front. I'm all for optimism, but last years class and the way we stand with this years are a long way from the picture you paint…

We need to average top 5 recruiting over a 3-4 year period to get where we want to go. That's a big ask since it's never happened at A&M. It looked like Jimbo had us headed in that direction before really falling off. Now we look more like what it's been for decades. Top 20 talent, and results on the field worse than that.
Athanasius
AG
NoahAg said:

A FLOOD is coming!

Username fits.
P.U.T.U
AG
Not a bad two weeks. Definitely beats the Sumlin years of getting 4wr commitments in a row and no LBs or DBs
tjburns
Well if you are concerned about the average, over the last three years we have averaged a recruiting class position of 6.667...The last 5 years, the average finish position was a 6.2. The difference between 6 & 5 for kids out of high school isn't as big as you think it is. Recruiting is not the issue.
vander54
S
amercer said:

vander54 said:

For the last 18 months you've done nothing but pump sunshine on the recruiting front. I'm all for optimism, but last years class and the way we stand with this years are a long way from the picture you paint…

We need to average top 5 recruiting over a 3-4 year period to get where we want to go. That's a big ask since it's never happened at A&M. It looked like Jimbo had us headed in that direction before really falling off. Now we look more like what it's been for decades. Top 20 talent, and results on the field worse than that.

We are the #4 in total team talent based of 247 rankings. We were in great shape last year until 5-7 and we still closed strong. We had a small class which prevented us from being in the top 10 overall but we were in the top 10 for average ratings.

Even with our small class we (#15) were closer to #8 than we were South Carolina which was 1 spot behind us.
beerad12man
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Our recent recruiting has not been typical of what Jimbo is known for. He's always been as good a recruiter as anyone. Combine that with our NIL leverage and I don't really get how we're still without a top 100 player at the moment.

Miles O'Neil has a good chance to be one.

Jordan pride was one 3 weeks ago

Drelon miller will be one for us in 48 hours

We lead for Blake Ivy and he's like 104.

We need a few more. But they are coming.
beerad12man
AG
amercer said:

vander54 said:

Last years class was 9th in average stars. This one will be top 10 as well. I hope we get closer to 5th than 9th, however. But we are still trending well within the top 10 as a program for the forseeable.

But wr do not look like what we did previously. We are not trending anywhere close to only being top 20 type talent. Our average star talent never came close to what we have now, and should sustain through at least 2026 at this rate. Sumlin never got us above 88.5 average stars as a program any season. Jimbo even at this pace will have us over 91 the next 3-4 seasons at least. Even if we didn't pick things up, which we seem to be doing. I could see over 92 at some point soon.

And yes, I know he now needs to win with it
Bill Superman
AG
vander54 said:

amercer said:

vander54 said:

We are the #4 in total team talent based of 247 rankings. We were in great shape last year until 5-7 and we still closed strong. We had a small class which prevented us from being in the top 10 overall but we were in the top 10 for average ratings.

Even with our small class we (#15) were closer to #8 than we were South Carolina which was 1 spot behind us.

Vander gets it.

Y'all listen to this man and stop making stupid remarks.
TX_Aggie37
AG
In vander54 I trust.
dixichkn
AG
On the one hand, of course you want those high 4*/5* because a program just won't win the big one anymore without those guys…….at the same time look what a class full of those got us a couple years ago. A lot of attitudes, trouble and defections. Certainly that wasn't the entirety of the class, but far more than you want to see. It's hard to strike the perfect balance.

But yeah I sure like the last two weeks a lot more than the previous 20.
Divining Rod
Quote:

Pablo Picasso's full name was Pablo Diego Jos Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Mara de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santsima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso.
He was very popular with classmates. By the time they finished calling roll, it was too late for a pop quiz
TAMUallen
AG
Love seeing us get recruits but we have a problem.

We get elite level but they can't behave or we don't develop and perform. Fingers crossed that Petrino is going to produce or this is going to be a very brutal year and an uncertain future since we just aren't doing remotely close to as well as we should.
whatthehey78
AG
Way too many crying little titty babies in here.
redjalapeno-87
Drelon would fit well in Ainias role and add some physicality. Maroon Goons are looking good - Ivy would add some more athleticism to the OT position for pass blocking. I also like Hornsby at WR. Keep 'em coming!
Oldfart2
Bill Superman said:

But sip and the zoo said that we were down so bad we'd be lucky to get any recruits… how can this be?

Remember, this is from the same group that says they're back each year.
whatthehey78
AG
Oldfart2 said:

Bill Superman said:

But sip and the zoo said that we were down so bad we'd be lucky to get any recruits… how can this be?

...and, "No brakes"!

meaning, No Defense.
Bill Superman
AG
whatthehey78 said:

Oldfart2 said:

Bill Superman said:

...and, "No brakes"!

meaning, No Defense.
And "All Gas"!

Meaning being gassy.
Evanhue
AG
bth15ag said:

TX_Aggie37 said:

Hopefully very big names. We need as many big names as we can get.
Pablo Picasso's full name was Pablo Diego Jos Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno Mara de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santsima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso. Now that is a big name.
Ugly
AG
amercer said:

vander54 said:

I'm as guilty as anyone of being concerned with our recruiting recently, but as of the last time I checked, Jimbo still hasn't finished outside of the top 10 since he's been here.
Aztec1948
If we extrapolate the results thus far....this will not be a class near as good as the previous ones..especially 2 years ago. Lots of negative recruiting being tossed A&M's way I'd guess. tu and ou are licking their chops about joining the SEC. Aren't you glad we are back together again?
"I have been told that we have recovered technology that did not originate on this".-Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence-Chris Mellon

“Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe that unknown flying objects are nonsense.” Former CIA Director, Roscoe Hillenkoetter, public statement, 1960.
beerad12man
AG
Aztec1948 said:

If we extrapolate the results thus far....this will not be a class near as good as the previous ones..especially 2 years ago. Lots of negative recruiting being tossed A&M's way I'd guess. tu and ou are licking their chops about joining the SEC. Aren't you glad we are back together again?
This class will absolutely be on the level of all other classes outside of 2022 which stands alone.

It is definitely trending that way, especially after the next 4-5 likely commitments. Though we do have to show something on the field to close strong, and be as good as 2019/2020/2021. But it's much closer to their level than many think at this stage.
Aggie1188
vander54 said:

Because we've picked up other players we want and we should have a few top 100s soon. Also it's only June.

We are in great shape right now
for coming off a bad season and below-average recruiting year.
Bill Superman said:

Let's see, there's some smoke around the following, with announcements coming soon…

FIFY
3* Edge Gabriel Reliford
4* WR Drelon Miller
4* WR Jaylan Hornsby
4* LB Tyanthony Smith

FIFY
.87 - 3* Edge Gabriel Reliford
.96 - 4* WR Drelon Miller
.89 - 4* WR Jaylan Hornsby
.90 - 4* LB Tyanthony Smith
beerad12man
AG
Aggie1188 said:

vander54 said:

Because we've picked up other players we want and we should have a few top 100s soon. Also it's only June.

great for coming off a bad season. You don't have to lipstick a pig for us.
I would still say we are in good position regardless. We are 1-2 recruitments away from being in great position. But we need to pick up a surprise national top 100 type player, or better yet, 2/3 by the end of the cycle in addition to what we think we will get (Bussey, Miller, Ivy, Smith, etc). In order for it to be a great class and not just pretty good, we will have to land at least a couple of top tier guys we don't expect, be it Colin Simmons, Micah Hudson, Kobe Black, etc.
Aztec1948
beerad12man said:

Aztec1948 said:

This class will absolutely be on the level of all other classes outside of 2022 which stands alone.

It is definitely trending that way, especially after the next 4-5 likely commitments. Though we do have to show something on the field to close strong, and be as good as 2019/2020/2021. But it's much closer to their level than many think at this stage.
There seems to be an absence of the really highly rated guys....the 5 star types. The guys you need to consistently compete against LSU/Bama with.
"I have been told that we have recovered technology that did not originate on this".-Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence-Chris Mellon

“Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe that unknown flying objects are nonsense.” Former CIA Director, Roscoe Hillenkoetter, public statement, 1960.
dannyv
AG
beerad12man said:

Aggie1188 said:

vander54 said:

great for coming off a bad season. You don't have to lipstick a pig for us.
I would still say we are in good position regardless. We are 1-2 recruitments away from being in great position. But we need to pick up a surprise national top 100 type player, or better yet, 2/3 by the end of the cycle in addition to what we think we will get (Bussey, Miller, Ivy, Smith, etc). In order for it to be a great class and not just pretty good, we will have to land at least a couple of top tier guys we don't expect, be it Colin Simmons, Micah Hudson, Kobe Black, etc.
I would echo that it looks like we'll be in great shape before the season, but a really good season is necessary. For posters like 1188, I think everybody acknowledges that recruiting won't turn out the way we need it to without a great season.
beerad12man
AG
You can't just base it on June commits, though. You have to know more behind the scenes of who we are in on. You can't compare those in February to this one in June, either The 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2023 classes might have had 1-2 more highly rated players at this time, and even then not necessarily all of them. But it was very close. It's not like we had 5 national top 100 commits in all of those classes by June. Usually the majority of those came later.

Plus, we are getting one tomorrow, a borderline 5 stars type. Likely a borderline top 100 player shortly after that. They are coming, if you are following it closely. But we do need to close them. We also have one committed who is woefully underrated and most think he will skyrocket at some point. I can let you guess who that is. Cannon arm.

Again, we have to close strong. But this class is trending to being very close to any previous class other than 2022. Fisher's 2019/2020/2021 and even 2023 class on paper were all very similar. And this will be on that same level, too. In fact, if we win 9 games this fall, I am confident it will end up better than 1-2 of those. 10 games and it might end up his 2nd best. The key is winning this fall. We are positioning ourselves quite nicely, we just don't have the same sell as we did for a new program / first 3 years, or coming off an orange bowl.
northeastag
AG
Ugly said:

amercer said:

vander54 said:

I'm as guilty as anyone of being concerned with our recruiting recently, but as of the last time I checked, Jimbo still hasn't finished outside of the top 10 since he's been here.
Well that's a good stat. But either the star system is flawed, or the coaching staff is not getting it done, cause the team's been ranked in the top 10 at the end of the year only once in the 5 years since Jimbo has been here. And not recently.
StinkyPinky
AG
northeastag said:

Ugly said:

amercer said:

vander54 said:

Well that's a good stat. But either the star system is flawed, or the coaching staff is not getting it done, cause the team's been ranked in the top 10 at the end of the year only once in the 5 years since Jimbo has been here. And not recently.

Still needs to manifest itself in results. Now has to be the time.
Aztec1948
beerad12man said:

You can't just base it on June commits, though. You have to know more behind the scenes of who we are in on. You can't compare those in February to this one in June, either The 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2023 classes might have had 1-2 more highly rated players at this time, and even then not necessarily all of them. But it was very close. It's not like we had 5 national top 100 commits in all of those classes by June. Usually the majority of those came later.

Plus, we are getting one tomorrow, a borderline 5 stars type. Likely a borderline top 100 player shortly after that. They are coming, if you are following it closely. But we do need to close them. We also have one committed who is woefully underrated and most think he will skyrocket at some point. I can let you guess who that is. Cannon arm.

Again, we have to close strong. But this class is trending to being very close to any previous class other than 2022. Fisher's 2019/2020/2021 and even 2023 class on paper were all very similar. And this will be on that same level, too. In fact, if we win 9 games this fall, I am confident it will end up better than 1-2 of those. 10 games and it might end up his 2nd best. The key is winning this fall. We are positioning ourselves quite nicely, we just don't have the same sell as we did for a new program / first 3 years, or coming off an orange bowl.
Yes, mine was an extrapolation. Let's hope the trend curves up towards DEC.

amercer
AG
Ugly said:

amercer said:

vander54 said:

15th last year. I do think we should factor in transfers somehow, which is what you linked to, but I'm not sure we know enough about the new wild west of portal/NIL to say if the services are ranking that well. We do know that if you finish in the top 5 I'm high school recruiting for a bunch of years in a row, good things happen. (Or a least they used to, maybe that's less relevant now too but it's hard to hope for that when the rest of the SEC isn't slowing down)
amercer
AG
Also if incoming transfers count for a class, outgoing ones should probably subtract from that class…
TAMUallen
AG
whatthehey78 said:

More like too many people who don't like a correlation between money spent and results. We are seriously the most consistently underperforming program.
vander54
S
TAMUallen said:

whatthehey78 said:

More like too many people who don't like a correlation between money spent and results. We are seriously the most consistently underperforming program.

Not even true just for the state of Texas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.