Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Aggie Football is 6th in Texas according to Dave Campbell's Texas Football

10,477 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by rootube
Craigy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
5-8 are better than 1-4
W
AG
of course the fundamental problem with a list like this...

the teams play in different conferences with different schedules
vander54
S
Last year we would have beaten UTSA, Tech, and SMU. This year we should be better so having us 6th is a joke.
World's worst proofreader
vander54
S
Ugly said:

Meanwhile, a rational person that is actually respected ranks them the following way (Bill Conelly, SP+):

tu 21.4
Texas A&M 16.9
TCU 15.4
Texas Tech 10.6
Baylor 9.8
Houston 4.3
SMU 3.3
UTSA 2.1
North Texas -8.1
Rice -16.6
Texas State -18
UTEP -18.1
Sam Houston -19.9

This one makes WAY more sense. Granted it is less biased than the Dave Cambells ranking so that explains why.

I have no issue with TCU or tu ahead of us to start the season. But the other 3 is pure bias.
World's worst proofreader
Liucci
Staff
AG
Houstonag said:

The rag is a sip extension. Always been , always will.
Not saying A&M should be #1 or even 2 after what we saw last year but facts are facts and if you research who put that list together, the web/social media manager and a couple of others, you'll quickly realize exactly what that magazine has unfortunately become, which is a damn shame to those who grew up on it.
TyHolden
AG
don't buy that rag anymore....you're half their sales
bangbang
AG
Never buy that rag and don't give them any clicks.
Texas Football magazine currently is nothing more than a propaganda tool supplemented by Texas boosters.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Smoke em if you got em.
Seamaster
AG
On our worst day ever we would mop up SMU and UTSA at the very least.
TexasAGGIEinAR
ClearlyJustSomeAg said:

Man, some of y'all get real upset over inconsequential **** like this.

This right here. Who gives a flying rip? ESPN ranks Tessus EVERY YEAR and they never do anything. DCTF is either going to be right or pretty far off. That's the dice that THEY roll. Same reason there's one talking head every year that says we're a darkhorse to win the SEC. At some point, someone's going to get it right so they keep going back to the well. We did absolutely nothing last year that should warrant respect this year. This is the same reason I deleted my Twitter account...looking at trash like this until I had the same reactions as most on this thread. Who cares. It doesn't matter. We'll reconvene in January and see if they got it right or wrong. Until then, it's simply an opinion.
Hittag1492
AG
Liucci said:

Houstonag said:

Not saying A&M should be #1 or even 2 after what we saw last year but facts are facts and if you research who put that list together, the web/social media manager and a couple of others, you'll quickly realize exactly what that magazine has unfortunately become, which is a damn shame to those who grew up on it.
This is so true Billy. I grew up loving to read Dave Campbell's-it was iconic. It is now a shell of what it once was. The days of anxiously awaiting the magazine to hit the stands and run out to buy it-LONG GONE. Even the high school coverage is mediocre at best. Thing was a treasure-now just garbage.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Seamaster said:

We got beat by Appalachian State at home, so our worst day can be pretty ****ing bad. I think if we play any game like that we could lose to just about anyone.
coach mike
AG
Liucci said:

Houstonag said:

Completely agree. I bought my first Texas Football magazine in 1975 when I was 12 years old. It had a young Grant Teaff on the cover. I have bought and still have every magazine since. I just turned 60.
SBDavis87
AG
Liucci said:

Houstonag said:

If I might also point out, the list the rag put together indicates by rank that both Baylor and UofH present less of a challenge to the vaunted Longhorns than either UTSA or SMU.

Quick check Baylor is 2-2 in the past 4 years vs the vaunted Longhorns while SMU is 0-10 the last ten games played. Don't need to look at UTSA or UofH.
TopoTacos
AG
So much of this fanbase gets wildly bent out of shape about these sorts of preseason polls, I'm begging y'all to go for a quick walk or try yoga or something.

Do I think there is a good chance our offense clicks this year and we come back and make this list look silly? Bet your ass I do.

Do I also recognize that we only looked truly competent in the LSU game last year? And we're gonna be penalized for going 5-7 until we put our **** together on the field? Yeah, I do that too.
Aggie1188
The Chicken Ranch said:

They aren't wrong.
Literally only if this list is relative to whichever conference the school is in. Otherwise, it's dumb af along with anyone agreeing with it.
Ugly said:

Meanwhile, a rational person that is actually respected ranks them the following way (Bill Conelly, SP+):

tu 21.4
Texas A&M 16.9
TCU 15.4
Texas Tech 10.6
Baylor 9.8
Houston 4.3
SMU 3.3
UTSA 2.1
North Texas -8.1
Rice -16.6
Texas State -18
UTEP -18.1
Sam Houston -19.9

Lol. Connelly is considered an idiot too. He's the guy who puts Sips in the top 10 and even leaves them there when they're 5-3 or worse, while every other top10 team has 1 loss.
Aggie1188
4 said:

You serious? TCU played for the national championship last year.

We were 5-7 with a loss at home to App State.

Any objective person on the planet would put them ahead of us.
Tcu only lost by 70 points, guys.
Aggie1188
Gilligan said:

Jimbo hasn't done anything to garner anyone's respect.

Just win!
yeah, not like the common drunk named Sark who has a 13-12 record so far in the 3-star conference.
ABATTBQ11 said:

Seamaster said:

We got beat by Appalachian State at home, so our worst day can be pretty ****ing bad. I think if we play any game like that we could lose to just about anyone.
Well the QB who had the terrible day that lost us the game is gone now.
Aggie1188
croominator said:

The editors at Dave Campbell's are good people, and as much as this site likes to believe otherwise, they're generally unbiased when it comes to college football. Their issues with A&M tend to be that they just don't win enough when it matters and the AD and fans tend to carry themselves as if they've won something more than a NY6 bowl in the past 20 years.

In my opinion, that's justified. For all the "disrespect" talk that A&M gets on this site, usually referring to ESPN, DCTF, etc, it's because A&M hasn't proven they as a football program can consistently win the games they're supposed to win, and be that kind of program. It's not unreasonable to have high expectations for Jimbo & Co - we should, in fact. But we also should hold them to that standard and be realistic that outside of 2018 and a 2020 season riddled with Covid, we have generally underdelivered. Respect will come when we actually shut up and win, not because we think we're supposed to win.
too much dumb there to compute. Their editors are idiots. We've had one bad season. And in 2021 after 9-1 we still went 8-4 with the worst QB in our history. A&M has been #5 in SEC wins since joining the SEC including under Jimbo. But yeah, we beat Lsu by double-digits and lost a bunch of one-possession games to mostly SEC teams, therefore we'd lose to the 3-stars in the state of texas in the following season when our 5-star QB is no longer a freshman and we return basically all our starters. Genius logic!
QB1
AG
TOP MEDIA COMPANIES IN TEXAS:

1) Texags
2) Community Impact
3) My dog's newsletter about his morning walks and accompanied bowel movements
2657) Dave Campbells antiquated thoughts on football
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

And in 2021 after 9-1 we still went 8-4 with the worst QB in our history
To make such a statement, I'd guess you just started watching A&M football in recent years?

So that worst QB in A&M history engineered one of the greatest victories ever witnessed upon Kyle Field, 41-38 over #1 Alabama. I'm not trying to pump that guy up - he had many faults - but give him the credit he deserves for what he did with that team and in that game.
#FJB
AGAZ03
AG
At this point put us at the very bottom.

No reason to mix us in with those other teams. We have to earn respect.
Only Fans Director
Any and all polls are worthless before conference play starts.

Bill Superman
AG
Liucci said:

Houstonag said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under in a few short years, along with the rest of the biased rags out there.

Magazines are just expensive toilet paper now.
SinKiller
Bill Superman said:

So this list is based solely on coaching staff then I would have to assume, since we have a much better recruiting ranking over those other schools…
And recruiting rankings clearly translates to winning games...
aeon-ag
4 said:

You serious? TCU played for the national championship last year.

We were 5-7 with a loss at home to App State.

Any objective person on the planet would put them ahead of us.
Yes, TCU played for the National Championship. They got their butts handed to them when they met SEC competition. Their quarterback was shaken before the game when Georgia's fans "barked at him." I guess barking isn't allowed in the big 12.
StoutAg
AG
We can judge the rankings for the last game everyone played:

TCU - raped by Georgia
Tu - lost to Washington
Tech - beat Ole Miss (which we couldn't do so props there)
SMU - lost to BYU
UTSA - lost to Troy
A&M - beat LSU

TCU and tu lost their best players. Aggies had their best players peak at the end of a disappointing season.

I'm confident that A&M would beat any of the other teams in the state. DCTF is just a rag.
TopoTacos
AG
Firstly, there's no need to attack the man for his documented struggles with alcohol. Be better.

Secondly, I don't think the horns are going to set the conference on fire this year, but if you're trying to base a ranking on coaching performance to date, Sark improved by 3 wins between '21 and '22, while Jimbo has gone backwards since the Orange Bowl season. I understand that both situations are more complex than that, but at face value Jimbo hasn't lived up to the billing or the bills this school has sent his way.
G Martin 87
AG
Seamaster said:

One of our best teams ever had to come from behind to tie SMU. An unmotivated, mistake-prone superstar team can be beat by anyone. It's a lesson that, for some strange reason, A&M teams have to relearn every damn season.
Aggieland12thMan
AG
My dad always said, "Don't tell me what you're going to do…show me what you've done!" Simple fact is that respect is earned. A 5/7 year doesn't earn any respect, at all. Want respect, win games. Here's hoping for a respectful season this year! Gig 'em!
rootube
AG
It's almost like they created a list to generate interest and succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. I'm sure this list is hanging on the wall of SMU, UTSA, TT and TCU fans. Not to mention the two pages of outrage here.
OMeara
TCU is lower because they lost so much talent to graduation and NFL....
coach mike
AG
Yeah TCU was clearly only one player away from going toe to toe with Georgia.
TyperWoods
croominator said:

The editors at Dave Campbell's are good people, and as much as this site likes to believe otherwise, they're generally unbiased when it comes to college football. Their issues with A&M tend to be that they just don't win enough when it matters and the AD and fans tend to carry themselves as if they've won something more than a NY6 bowl in the past 20 years.

In my opinion, that's justified. For all the "disrespect" talk that A&M gets on this site, usually referring to ESPN, DCTF, etc, it's because A&M hasn't proven they as a football program can consistently win the games they're supposed to win, and be that kind of program. It's not unreasonable to have high expectations for Jimbo & Co - we should, in fact. But we also should hold them to that standard and be realistic that outside of 2018 and a 2020 season riddled with Covid, we have generally underdelivered. Respect will come when we actually shut up and win, not because we think we're supposed to win.

now explain tu #1
oldcrow91
AG
I cared enough to click and post this but that's about it.
coach mike
AG
Joe Dirt is the best QB to ever play in our great state. Don't pay any attention to the fact that he quit on his high school team and Ohio State after cashing their checks and he is the king of the fourth quarter collapse under Sark.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.