Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What are we doing wrong

24,551 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halfastros81
TyperWoods
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3rdgenAg3 said:

When it comes to the three big men's sports. I'm just wondering what y'all's opinions are.

We aren't doing anything wrong. We are just not winning enough, consistently enough.

When you consider there's 100+ teams in each sport trying for the championship, it's hard and you have to be lucky.
JWinTX
Here's what tough to understand:

SWC/Regional Teams with Championships or Appearances in Title Games in three main men's sports since 1980:

Rice--Baseball Title
UH--Runner-up in Hoops twice
UT--Football Title and Baseball Titles
Baylor--Basketball Title
TCU--Football Title Game
Tech--Basketball Title Game
OU--Football Title, Baseball Title, and numerous runner-ups
Okie State--Baseball Title runner ups
Arky--Basketball Title, Baseball and Basketball Runner-ups
LSU--Baseball and Football Titles

You could argue about SMU (pre-Death Penalty) but I won't as they blatantly cheated and finished 2nd in 1982, as the NCAA media completely made sure they wouldn't get a title.

A&M finished 4th in the AP in 2020 to have its highest finish since WW2, Men's hoops finished in the Sweet 16 in 1980 and 2007. Baseball has finished 4th in the CWS last year.

Burdizzo
AG
TyperWoods said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

When it comes to the three big men's sports. I'm just wondering what y'all's opinions are.

We aren't doing anything wrong. We are just not winning enough, consistently enough.

When you consider there's 100+ teams in each sport trying for the championship, it's hard and you have to be lucky.

RC got roasted when he said "...half the college football teams that played today lost"
ironmanag
AG
W said:

ironmanag said:

As for the money.. Who the hell cares. It isn't yours so why worry about it.
um, if you're a season ticket holder...it's your money
Easy solution stop buying them.

Your problem is solved.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
TyperWoods
Burdizzo said:

TyperWoods said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

RC got roasted when he said "...half the college football teams that played today lost"

RC also had our last undefeated team.
UltimateSuperGenius
TyperWoods said:

Probably not best to hype a time when we couldn't go to a bowl game because of NCAA sanctions.
12thmanfootball
AG

Quote:

Penn State is the biggest enrollment in the country. Bigger than ours by 20K.

Penn State Student Body Statistics

Enrollment

NumberTotal Undergraduates University-wide
Total Undergraduates at University Park
Total Undergraduates at Other Campuses
27,100Enrollment for 2019-2020

40,000 on their main campus and 27,000 on other campuses.............not sure how that is 20K bigger than A&M's main campus or Texas A&M's System's total enrollment.
Scotty Appleton
TyperWoods said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

The reality is there are maybe 20 programs year-in and out that have a chance at a NC in football and unless you have been one of the 3-4 recruiting powers over a 5 year period you better be damn lucky multiple times a year.

Basketball may be even lower because if you aren't stacked with McD AA's or you didn't luck out with some under the radar guard who can take over a game (and who shows up in the tourney) you aren't making a deep run.

Baseball has ~20 programs that give any significant support and unless the stars align ala Coastal Carolina once every 20 years you better be in that group of 20.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
33 said:

I would measure the athletics department by two standards:

2. Learfield Directors Cup standings (A&M was ranked #79 last I looked. This is not acceptable.)

This is scandalous! With as much donation money that A&M spends on sports, people should be fired immediately. Of course, they can't because of all the golden parachutes they write themselves.

People should really be investigated. I bet A&M Athletics is one of the bigger silent scams certainly within the state, and perhaps the country given length of time it has been going on.
Either I will find a way or I will make one.
TyperWoods
UltimateSuperGenius said:

TyperWoods said:

Probably not best to hype a time when we couldn't go to a bowl game because of NCAA sanctions.

eyeroll
HoustonAg2021
Scotty Appleton said:

TyperWoods said:

3rdgenAg3 said:

The reality is there are maybe 20 programs year-in and out that have a chance at a NC in football and unless you have been one of the 3-4 recruiting powers over a 5 year period you better be damn lucky multiple times a year.

Basketball may be even lower because if you aren't stacked with McD AA's or you didn't luck out with some under the radar guard who can take over a game (and who shows up in the tourney) you aren't making a deep run.

Baseball has ~20 programs that give any significant support and unless the stars align ala Coastal Carolina once every 20 years you better be in that group of 20.

Somehow someway every sec school except us and Mizzou have figured it out. The Mississippis of all schools figured it out in baseball in back to back seasons. Little south Carolina won a baseball title. Little ole Clemson had their run. We don't have any "good ole days" to hang our hat on.
HoustonAg2021
Nice Guy Eddie said:

33 said:

I would measure the athletics department by two standards:

2. Learfield Directors Cup standings (A&M was ranked #79 last I looked. This is not acceptable.)

This is scandalous! With as much donation money that A&M spends on sports, people should be fired immediately. Of course, they can't because of all the golden parachutes they write themselves.

People should really be investigated. I bet A&M Athletics is one of the bigger silent scams certainly within the state, and perhaps the country given length of time it has been going on.

A black hole. Intake all that money and do nothing with it.
ntxVol
I think it all goes back to the AD. Not sure about the criteria for hiring a good one but, I think TN finally found one.
rootube
AG
ntxVol said:

I think it all goes back to the AD. Not sure about the criteria for hiring a good one but, I think TN finally found one.

I think they found a good head football coach which makes everything seem better. The Vols just gave their HC tenure with a long term guaranteed contract just like we gave Jimbo. You need to wait a few years to find out how that works out. If Jimmy Sexton is his agent you probably won't be able to make up a scandal to get out of the buyout next time.
McKinney Ag69
AG
rootube said:

ntxVol said:

I think they found a good head football coach which makes everything seem better. The Vols just gave their HC tenure with a long term guaranteed contract just like we gave Jimbo. You need to wait a few years to find out how that works out. If Jimmy Sexton is his agent you probably won't be able to make up a scandal to get out of the buyout next time.

Not sure if you noticed this, but Tennessee just beat Duke to go to the sweet 16 and they will probably beat FAU to go to the elite 8. They aren't a one trick pony
nu awlins ag
AG
BigDave21 said:

Idk but it really is a discussion that has to happen. No championships in the big 3 men's sports since 1939 and no appearances on top of that is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Heck both the Mississippi schools ended their draught in back to back years by winning baseball titles. Something is very very broken.

Culture….period. Ohio State, Bama, Lsu etc. are just a few examples. It's one thing to say you want it but it's another thing to actually do it. The emphasis has to be all or nothing. Once that gets hammered into the system the rest takes care of itself. A&M doesn't have that culture, they talk about it but they don't they don't do it.
HoustonAg2021
100% agree. The good ole boy "win some lose some" mentality has been around a long time.
BCEDAg
AG
And the worn out "wait until next year" bs
Aggie1188
chick79 said:

We've had alot of bad hires for athletic director too. I loved Bill Byrne and he demanded excellence in all sports which I agreed with. Since he left we've had a lot of bad ADs. I liked Woodward but his heart was set on going back to LSU. Bjork is an empty suit.
bjork is empty suit how, snowflake?
Aggie1188
3rdgenAg3 said:

It literally all has to do with recruiting & coaching. It's not rocket science. Good lord. Jimbo recruited great (except at QB, LB, OL), but had bad coaching on the offensive side really hurting us, altho Jimbo is now not recruiting great but at least hired a real offensive coach finally.

Basketball just recruits awful (with its old arena and non-famous coach).

In Baseball, Schloss is doing a great job as last year proved. Though he needs more better recruits too as this year has proven. Recruiting & Coaching. And now you have to spend money on recruits and not only facilities. You slack in any recruiting department, and you're doomed.
AggieArchitect04
AG
UltimateSuperGenius said:

TyperWoods said:

You're right. No one else was cheating then and no one has been cheating since. Lol.
OriolePete
Who gives more and has deeper pockets than Aggies?

Nobody.

A&M hasn't won anything yet, and the money keeps coming in.

This is the status quo. It sucks but everyone seems to be fine with it.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Ole Miss is a much smaller place, a much smaller fanbase, and let's face it--we have fewer resources available to us (no, not "poors", just lesser form of rich). If we aren't actively taking risks and trying to succeed, then we're in trouble. Our fans will just stop showing up. That might get read as a lack of loyalty, but it's really just a market choice. I've seen a home football game (albeit many years ago) with 22,000 fans when the team sucked and the weather was bad.
Barely 4 months ago I saw a crowd of about 3 or 4 thousand at Kyle Field. I wouldn't say we're just BLINDLY loyal. More than most, yes. But I think that falls into love of the university and then by extension, grudging support for our underachieving sports programs
BCEDAg
AG
I was at that game and the weather was horrible. There were actually more in attendance than what you claimed. Yes I know a lot left after halftime but there's no way there were only 3-4,000 at Kyle during the second half.
ntxVol
nu awlins ag said:

BigDave21 said:

Idk but it really is a discussion that has to happen. No championships in the big 3 men's sports since 1939 and no appearances on top of that is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Heck both the Mississippi schools ended their draught in back to back years by winning baseball titles. Something is very very broken.

Culture….period. Ohio State, Bama, Lsu etc. are just a few examples. It's one thing to say you want it but it's another thing to actually do it. The emphasis has to be all or nothing. Once that gets hammered into the system the rest takes care of itself. A&M doesn't have that culture, they talk about it but they don't they don't do it.
You say this but include LSU, pre Saban, they were an also ran in the SEC. Granted, they are someone to contend with now but, that can change quickly. Trust me, I know.

A&M is one good AD hire away from being a serious contender. Something has either been broken in that process or you haven't hit the homerun yet. I feel your despair, but I think you have to demand excellence from the AD. No matter your disappointment with specific coaching hires or other decisions made, the AD should be the one that has to answer for that.

Again, I think the question of culture is a relatively short term thing that can change quickly.
tmaggies
AG
HJack20 said:

You can enjoy good/great seasons of success (2020 football, 2022 baseball, etc) while still questioning the fact that we haven't won a men's major sport since 1939. The two are not exclusive. Just because OP is criticizing our lack of championships doesn't mean he isn't enjoying the high points here and there.

2020 football…….that year didn't count.
schmellba99
AG
Maybe somebody said it already, didnt read all 4 ages.

What are we doing wrong? Well, for 115 years we measured our success on 1 game of the season in pretty much every sport. That is all we cared about, what we obsessed over. And everything has suffered as a result.

And we are scared of success as a program, anytime we raise our head above water a little bit we seemingly find way to step on our dicks, and we fall back down the hill. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Hard facts.
schmellba99
AG
chick79 said:

We've had alot of bad hires for athletic director too. I loved Bill Byrne and he demanded excellence in all sports which I agreed with. Since he left we've had a lot of bad ADs. I liked Woodward but his heart was set on going back to LSU. Bjork is an empty suit.

Byrne talked a good show with majors, but that was it. He structured his contract to get bonuses whenever our athletics won a NC, so he put effort into the low hanging fruit that was easy and quick. So equestrian and whatever else did him well.

But it was the same old story with football, baseball and baketball. We had a shot in basketball, but he couldnt keep whats his name that went to Kentucky and flamed out.
AG
schmellba99 said:

Maybe aomebody said it already, didnt read all 4 ages.

What are we doing wrong? Well, for 115 years we measurd our success on 1 game of the season inpretty much every sport. That is all we cared about, what we obsessed over. And everything has suffered as a result.

And we are scared of success as a program, anytime we raise our had above water a little bit we seemingly find way to step on our dicks, and we fall back down the hill. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Hard facts.
AGinHI
AG
Whatever we're doing wrong allowing OU and Texas to tell recruits they can now come to their programs and play in the SEC will set us back.
BaileyAg
AG
Romello
We don't have a winning culture from the top down coupled with ridiculously horrible coaching contracts. It's systemic. Begins and ends with those in charge. Winning 10+ games every 2 or 3 years and going to a great bowl regularly should be the bare minimum standard.

brookline joe
AG
Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Athletic Department doesn't feel pressure to win. They simply have to focus on selling promises in order to receive an enormous amount of unconditional donations and spend it on their scandalous salaries and inflated infrastructure costs.

How else can anyone explain the decades-long asymmetry between resources and results?

This has all degenerated into the Athletic Department becoming a stain on an otherwise proud Institution.
Wow - that is a truth bomb. I have been a season ticket holder since 1993. I am remain a season ticket holder. However, this does hit home. I love my Aggies, but when is the time to say enough? (obviouly I have not come to that conclusion) Let's say we win a NC in the major 3, does this mean anything will change or get better? Will these kids be required at all to attend class and be a real part of the student body? Or do we continue with the mercinary approach. I dont have the answers, but the OP made me think.
CIAggie
AG
At this point, I feel like God hates our athletic department or something.
BigHead 04
AG
As long as Sharp and friends are behind the hirings and firings will anything ever change? Getting an AD with a spine might help, but what has the administration done to show us that they care other than spending our dollars on new facilities (which is absolutely part of the equation).
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.