Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What are we doing wrong

24,468 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halfastros81
halfastros81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There have been mistakes along the way to be sure but just because we are loyal and give freely and continue to support these programs doesn't mean we are being duped. I can't see how less support would help.

It's not like the athletic department isn't trying. Imo A& M has upgraded coaching significantly in baseball and basketball in the past 5 yrs. Football still tbd but most people thought Jimbo was a good option when he was hired . The best you can do is make the best hires you can and then support them along the way. The same could be said going back all the way to Jackie imo. At some point you may have to make changes but you also have to consider circumstances and not knee jerk.
SteveA
AG
We? We aren't doing anything. We, just watch this stuff... ha
94chem
Pedro Infiniti said:

chick79 said:

...We are the largest university in the country. ....

Pennsylvania State University holds this moniker; by almost 20,000 attendees.
What are you talking about? That's not even remotely close to correct.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
beerad12man
AG
BigDave21 said:

Pretty sure OP is talking about championships. You don't lift a trophy for finishing 4th.
Damn our first year head man for not getting it done in year 1! Seems like we made a pretty big, and positive change in that one. I don't think we are doing anything wrong in baseball now. It just may take some time to come out on top. It's not easy to win a title regardless.

Basketball we have never had the funding, fan base, prestige, etc. It's just not realistic like the other two, which we have a legit shot in.

Football is just sad. We should be competing yearly. Need that to change immediately. Absolutely unacceptable not to, with our money/resources/fan base.
halfastros81
AG
Disagree on basketball. There are very successful programs that have less financial backing than we do and every time we start winning Reed Rocks. We have had several opportunities to become a consistently strong basketball program but somehow always let something get in the way. Mostly egos I believe.
W
AG
Fran, Sumlin, and Jimbo were all good hires.

their extensions were horrible.

that's the mistake A&M makes time and time again.

over-reacting to 1 great season and/or terrified to have the coach hired away
Ag Tag
halfastros81 said:

Disagree on basketball. There are very successful programs that have less financial backing than we do and every time we start winning Reed Rocks. We have had several opportunities to become a consistently strong basketball program but somehow always let something get in the way. Mostly egos I believe.
Exactly. Look at who this year's number 1 seeds are: Alabama, Houston, Kansas, and Purdue.
halfastros81
AG
Gonzaga, Baylor …. The list is lengthy.
HoustonAg2021
beerad12man said:

BigDave21 said:

Pretty sure OP is talking about championships. You don't lift a trophy for finishing 4th.
Damn our first year head man for not getting it done in year 1! Seems like we made a pretty big, and positive change in that one. I don't think we are doing anything wrong in baseball now. It just may take some time to come out on top. It's not easy to win a title regardless.

Basketball we have never had the funding, fan base, prestige, etc. It's just not realistic like the other two, which we have a legit shot in.

Football is just sad. We should be competing yearly. Need that to change immediately. Absolutely unacceptable not to, with our money/resources/fan base.

I wasn't trying to be an a** was just simply pointing out to another poster that while it's fantastic and all but that we are talking about national championships. Everything else I agree with you on
HoustonAg2021
halfastros81 said:

Gonzaga, Baylor …. The list is lengthy.

F****n Arky too
W
AG
schmellba99 said:

Maybe aomebody said it already, didnt read all 4 ages.

What are we doing wrong? Well, for 115 years we measured our success on 1 game of the season inpretty much every sport. That is all we cared about, what we obsessed over. And everything has suffered as a result.

And we are scared of success as a program, anytime we raise our had above water a little bit we seemingly find way to step on our dicks, and we fall back down the hill. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Hard facts.
this is by far the worst thing about OU and t.u. joining the SEC.

for many folks...football will go back to being a 1-game season.

when it hasn't been that way for the last 10 years
Burdizzo
AG
W said:

schmellba99 said:

Maybe aomebody said it already, didnt read all 4 ages.

What are we doing wrong? Well, for 115 years we measured our success on 1 game of the season inpretty much every sport. That is all we cared about, what we obsessed over. And everything has suffered as a result.

And we are scared of success as a program, anytime we raise our had above water a little bit we seemingly find way to step on our dicks, and we fall back down the hill. Wash, rinse and repeat.

Hard facts.
this is by far the worst thing about OU and t.u. joining the SEC.

for many folks...football will go back to being a 1-game season.

when it hasn't been that way for the last 10 years

These are the people who got 70s on exams, but were excited for getting the bonus question correct.
schmellba99
AG
ntxVol said:

nu awlins ag said:

BigDave21 said:

Idk but it really is a discussion that has to happen. No championships in the big 3 men's sports since 1939 and no appearances on top of that is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Heck both the Mississippi schools ended their draught in back to back years by winning baseball titles. Something is very very broken.

Culture….period. Ohio State, Bama, Lsu etc. are just a few examples. It's one thing to say you want it but it's another thing to actually do it. The emphasis has to be all or nothing. Once that gets hammered into the system the rest takes care of itself. A&M doesn't have that culture, they talk about it but they don't they don't do it.
You say this but include LSU, pre Saban, they were an also ran in the SEC. Granted, they are someone to contend with now but, that can change quickly. Trust me, I know.

A&M is one good AD hire away from being a serious contender. Something has either been broken in that process or you haven't hit the homerun yet. I feel your despair, but I think you have to demand excellence from the AD. No matter your disappointment with specific coaching hires or other decisions made, the AD should be the one that has to answer for that.

Again, I think the question of culture is a relatively short term thing that can change quickly.
I don't know that I'd say they were an also ran. They were one of the better teams from the late 50's all the way through late 70's, better than average in the 80's for the most part and then had a decade of absolute garbage on the field product in the 90's (but still managed to go to and win 3 bowl games). As you stated, when Saban got there he absolutely changed the culture and they have been a power program for 20 years now.
schmellba99
AG
halfastros81 said:

I will give Byrne credit for making a very strong push to get students to attend things other than football games, and that was a problem with basketball for a long time. Also had to do with the fact that we sucked something awful for 20 straight years or whatever.

I've never understood why basketball was a perennial gutter program. You don't need a large amount of players for basketball, we have one of the largest metro areas not an hour and a half away in Houston with Dallas being only a bit further than that. The talent pool is there, but we can't string together more than maybe 2 decent seasons in a row for whatever reason. We have an unbelievable talent of not being able to capitalize on any success - really in any program - and sustain that success for more than a couple of years at any given time.

Sometimes I think we are just cursed or that way back in the day tu made a deal with Lucifer and part of it was for us to be mediocre. Wouldn't surprise me with the satanic cult hex events they put on for us year after year, surely one of those godless heatherns used a Ouija board and made a deal with the devil.
halfastros81
AG
I disagree with that as well. It's not a horn with a hex keeping us from basketball success. We only need to look in the mirror. There is exactly no one outside of our own house that has kept it from happening. I personally think the trajectory is currently very positive in that realm but it is also clear that we need a few more pieces to break through. There was some bad luck involved with BK … I'll give you that and our recruiting rivals took advantage but they are not stopping us from succeeding right now nor can they.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.