Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What are we doing wrong

24,277 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halfastros81
SECTAMU#1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HJack20 said:

I posted this in the basketball forum, but here's the most recent men's major sports title from all the SEC teams.

Georgia: 2022 Football
Ole Miss: 2022 Baseball
Mississippi State: 2021 Baseball
Alabama: 2020 Football
LSU: 2019 Football
Vanderbilt: 2019 Baseball
Florida: 2017 Baseball
South Carolina: 2011 Baseball
Kentucky: 2012 Basketball
Auburn: 2010 Football
Tennessee: 1998 Football
Arkansas: 1994 Basketball
Missouri: 1954 Baseball
Texas A&M: 1939 Football
So, we're almost Missouri.
levypantsEOY
fc2112 said:

So championships are all that matter?

When you buy a lottery ticket and it only pays $100, you tear it up since it isn't $1,000,000, right?

Lol no one buys lottery tickets to win $100. That's the loser mentality that continues to haunt us.
BigOil
AG
We decided to be male and corps-only when the blue bloods were established.
Keith70Chevelle
I've been watching for over fifty years. It's always the same old thing, wait till next year. I have seen through the years that the Ags will never be able to win any national championships. I have stopped even watching because I have other things to do.
AggieZUUL
AG
I see a pattern here, guys. It appears we are gifted a national championship prior to the U.S. entering a World War. Maybe there is hope for Aggie Athletics after all.
fightinag
We have relegated ourselves to second tier thinking and celebrate when we reach that level !
Football is a glowing example !
and
lowered demands and expectations have become common place !

enough of the "Wait Till Next Year" mindset
we should want and demand it NOW ........ every year !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
HoustonAg2021
Even Mizzou has a more recent title. 1954 baseball
HoustonAg2021
HJack20 said:

I posted this in the basketball forum, but here's the most recent men's major sports title from all the SEC teams.

Georgia: 2022 Football
Ole Miss: 2022 Baseball
Mississippi State: 2021 Baseball
Alabama: 2020 Football
LSU: 2019 Football
Vanderbilt: 2019 Baseball
Florida: 2017 Baseball
South Carolina: 2011 Baseball
Kentucky: 2012 Basketball
Auburn: 2010 Football
Tennessee: 1998 Football
Arkansas: 1994 Basketball
Missouri: 1954 Baseball
Texas A&M: 1939 Football

Absolutely disgusting and embarrassing
HoustonAg2021
That's what LSU does. And it works out for them very well. They don't care if a coach is a good ole boy, the moment they realize the coach can't win a title they move on.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Even I think this is a whiney post.

We have some issues, most of which seems to be BMAs meddling in things. They need to build facilities and enjoy the games, but they also need to quit worrying about their relationships with the HCs just to stoke their egos. This causes us to keep coaches too long, when it becomes apparent they aren't going to get it done.

We trip over our own pen*s more than any other school. If we could ever lean to quit self-inflicting ourselves, we'd win at everything.

And people like John Sharp need to quit giving NC plaques for championships that didn't happen. It's as if the Aggie Jokes write themselves.
AgsMyDude
AG
Not winning
Ferg
Our final ranking in Hoops was 17 out of 350+ teams. Top 5%.

I love the way the program is going. Same with baseball. Its not linear.

The last two years i planned to pause my streaming service from End of Football til start of but dang it Buzz you make it too much fun to miss.

northeastag
AG
Sea Speed said:

David Happymountain said:

What are you doing wrong? Bout to spill some truth here so pay attention.

You are putting too much emphasis on the efforts of something you have no control over.

It will only eat you up and destroy your good energy you could be spending on family time, or if you are competitive, a sport that you have control over because you are active in it yourself. Golf, fishing, adult team sports you play in, etc.

Truth pill might be tough to swallow.

Compete only with yourself.

THIS. It doesn't matter and you can't do anything to affect the outcomes. Stop wasting emotional and mental capital on it and look at it as simple entertainment and your life will get so much better.
Don't you think you can do both? Enjoy your life and also enjoy an occasional championship season?

After all, when we're talking about the big 3 sports, someone has to win them each year. Might as well be A&M every once in a while.

I don't live or die by Aggie sports. My life is my life (even though I post on this website). But I'd still like to see at least one championship before I go.
Sea Speed
AG
Then you are reasonable and not who I was speaking to/about. You absolutely can enjoy it, but the minute it stresses you out or ruins your day, you have invested too much in to something you absolutely can not control. Just look at this website after a loss, it is full of unreasonable people who let these sports adversely impact their personal lives.
Scotty Appleton
There is no 'Big 3 men's sports'. There is Football and then way down at 2nd Basketball and then there are regional sports that a handful of programs devote any significant amount of money towards. Baseball may be "Big 3" at A&M, meanwhile it is hockey at Minnesota, wrestling at Penn St, etc

What is probably the most embarrassing is the relative lack of success in the chosen 3rd sport where A&M has a huge advantage in weather, support, access to talent, etc.
Sq 17
The problem is football, as another poster said basketball is a distant 2nd and baseball is a distant 3rd
Talking about the 3 sports
Basketball very hard to be relevant not a historical power , bcs not an easy sell , always a distant 2 nd to football and if we do find a coach like BCG a team is going to poach him

Baseball resources don't really matter with the Scholarships limits and teams like candy TCU and rice gaming the system make it even harder lastly tu is baseball royalty and unlikely we are getting any players that tu also wanted

Football the Fran hire was a disaster, in hindsight imo we should have stayed the course with Sherman he consistently got 1-2 of the best OL recruits in the country and if you have an o-line of future NFL players winning is easier and better recruits at all positions will come. What Sherill did in the 80's was spectacular but harder to do now, Popular mindset of A&M fans is we just need to find the next Jackie, again imo that is not how it works
The Debt
TexasAggie_97 said:

Final 4 in baseball last year.
um...no.

We finished 5th/6th. 1-2 omaha record.
The Debt
Scotty Appleton said:

There is no 'Big 3 men's sports'. There is Football and then way down at 2nd Basketball and then there are regional sports that a handful of programs devote any significant amount of money towards. Baseball may be "Big 3" at A&M, meanwhile it is hockey at Minnesota, wrestling at Penn St, etc

What is probably the most embarrassing is the relative lack of success in the chosen 3rd sport where A&M has a huge advantage in weather, support, access to talent, etc.
wrong.

"Big 3" are the sports that actually generate revenue. Yes fb is king, then basketball a distant second. But the next sport is baseball. For most schools baseball, with operations, is a net liability. But for some schools it's profitable, if not a break-even sport.

Any other men's sports, and all women's sports are pure liability. You may point to baylor, Stanford, and uconn women's basketball based on ticket sales, but those facilities are heavily subsidized by the men's sports TV revenues.

Women's sports just can't stand on their own feet.
HoustonAg2021
I can't recall but I want to say we are one of the few schools that breaks even or turns a slight profit in baseball? It's probably mostly sec schools that do anyways.
HoustonAg2021
Schloss got us the closest to ending the draught and is arguably the greatest big 3 coach in modern a&m history already and is already by far the best baseball coach we have ever had. Dude exceeded our Omaha win total in one season. We ought to be selling our souls like LSU to win it all in baseball.
Scotty Appleton
The Debt said:

Scotty Appleton said:

wrong.

"Big 3" are the sports that actually generate revenue. Yes fb is king, then basketball a distant second. But the next sport is baseball. For most schools baseball, with operations, is a net liability. But for some schools it's profitable, if not a break-even sport.

Any other men's sports, and all women's sports are pure liability. You may point to baylor, Stanford, and uconn women's basketball based on ticket sales, but those facilities are heavily subsidized by the men's sports TV revenues.

Women's sports just can't stand on their own feet.

There are very few profitable baseball programs. Same thing with soccer, hockey, wrestling, etc

You think baseball is a bigger deal at Iowa or Penn State than wrestling? Iowa gets crowds to wrestling duals that make Olsen look like a picnic.
TXAGBQ76
AG
except Mizzou won the SEC East twice...
TXAGBQ76
AG
um, you are wrong... we were ranked number three in the final poll after the CWS; um, you are also wrong with our CWS record- which was 2-2, as we beat tu and Notre Dame- losing twice to ou...
TommyBrady
AG
I think the over reliance on hoping the bmd's will get it done by themselves is a huge issue. If 75,000 people gave $12 a month we would have nearly $11 million for NIL. Instead very few people actually donate and then everybody who doesn't complains and talks about embarrassing it is to lose.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Whatever it is we are doing wrong, we been pretty much been doing it since the beginning of our athletic program. History shows we have fired pretty much every coach we have had in pretty much every sport- with few exceptions. The coaches we revere the most, did not get us a national championship- and most not even close.

So, are we a bad judge of coaches? Seems like you have to have great coaches to have great results.
JohnClark929
Big money boosters make the decisions that matter. They are essentially team owners. Our owners don't know what they're doing and our program will continue to underperform until we have new owners that have a clue. This could take decades to resolve itself. As fans, we can just watch and have expectations that are based on reality.
HoustonAg2021
I think the most shocking thing is it's not like we are having a bad era/decade but rather it is generations of failure to get it done in one of the big 3. The odds of it being bad luck are small. Like it has been previously mentioned, something is absolutely broken, has been since the beginning for the department, and is clearly still broken. Being right next to Houston and just being in one of the most talented states across the board in athletics with nothing to show for it for nearly a century is a failure one almost has to try to accomplish. I really do feel for old army who that black hole of an athletic department has let down for most if not all their lives.
greg.w.h
AG
Didn't spend money until Jackie and then just on coaches ignoring facilities which Gates and Byrne conceded wrecked Slocum's recruiting. Start lathering money on the sports you want an nc. Lots and lots of it until we got talked about as a dynasty school. Only want to change.

Withholding donations? That's losing. Get involved in the TMF.
Burdizzo
AG
chick79 said:

We've had alot of bad hires for athletic director too. I loved Bill Byrne and he demanded excellence in all sports which I agreed with. Since he left we've had a lot of bad ADs. I liked Woodward but his heart was set on going back to LSU. Bjork is an empty suit.

Bill Byrne's contract was incentivized for him to pressure minor sports to win, but he did not have those incentives for bigger sports like football, basketball, etc. His constant haranguing of us Aggies over loyalty while watching Fran struggle got pretty tiresome. I was not a fan.

Be of Good Cheer.
TXAGBQ76
AG
So what do you suggest?
The big money guys put the checkbook in the desk drawer and lock it up?
The athletic department stop taking money from the big money boosters and work with tv money and ticket sales only?

At the end of the day, you are still going to have extremely successful guys, with big egos, who want to be seen, who want everyone to know what they have/are doing(i.e. names in programs,on buildings, on pillars, on walls, etc.). I'm not saying any of that is bad or wrong, but it is just human nature. Annnnd, most (if not all) will have no more knowledge how to run an athletic programs than today's or yesterday's do/did.
Wabs
AG
The Debt said:

TexasAggie_97 said:

Final 4 in baseball last year.
um...no.

We finished 5th/6th. 1-2 omaha record.

Somebody didn't watch the CWS last year……
McKinney Ag69
AG
I really don't understand the posters here who say "college station is a tough sell for basketball players, or they don't want to come here because football is always going to be king."

Are Waco and Tuscaloosa great sells for college basketball players? How about Lubbock? Football will always be king at those schools too and none more so than Alabama. Look at what they have been able to accomplish. It just seems like an incredibly lame excuse. College station is an objectively better town than all of those and closer to major cities.
Burdizzo
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

So what do you suggest?
The big money guys put the checkbook in the desk drawer and lock it up?
The athletic department stop taking money from the big money boosters and work with tv money and ticket sales only?

At the end of the day, you are still going to have extremely successful guys, with big egos, who want to be seen, who want everyone to know what they have/are doing(i.e. names in programs,on buildings, on pillars, on walls, etc.). I'm not saying any of that is bad or wrong, but it is just human nature. Annnnd, most (if not all) will have no more knowledge how to run an athletic programs than today's or yesterday's do/did.

My problem isn't just with the football performance, it is with the entire football program. The game play is uninspiring. The atmosphere is boring and saturated with advertising. The concessions suck for everyone but the club members. Any time I contacted the AD about the poor quality of concessions I got excuses and no action. We simply accept mediocrity. I still give money to support scholarships, but I quit buying tickets a long time ago. I got tired of paying a lot of money to be unsatisfied and feel marginalized. I have not regretted it.
BCEDAg
AG
Lol - if we ever do win a natty in baseball or basketball people on this board will still have reason to complain with "but we still haven't won one in football since 1939!"
McKinney Ag69
AG
BCEDAg said:

Lol - if we ever do win a natty in baseball or basketball people on this board will still have reason to complain with "but we still haven't won one in football since 1939!"

Please shut up. People will be over the moon to have won something of significance in 84 years and not being regarded as the weird school who talks like they are Alabama, but performs like they are MIZZOU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.