Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What are we doing wrong

24,205 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by halfastros81
3rdgenAg3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When it comes to the three big men's sports. I'm just wondering what y'all's opinions are.
TexasAggie_97
AG
Final 4 in baseball last year.
HoustonAg2021
Idk but it really is a discussion that has to happen. No championships in the big 3 men's sports since 1939 and no appearances on top of that is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Heck both the Mississippi schools ended their draught in back to back years by winning baseball titles. Something is very very broken.
HoustonAg2021
Pretty sure OP is talking about championships. You don't lift a trophy for finishing 4th.
TexasAggie_97
AG
BigDave21 said:

Pretty sure OP is talking about championships. You don't lift a trophy for finishing 4th.
Ok then I would say we are too loyal as fans and too quick to make excuses for losses and we hold on to coaches too long and give out crappy extensions that are not deserved on contracts.
HoustonAg2021
Welp no disagreement from me on that
Al Bula
AG
What are you doing wrong? Bout to spill some truth here so pay attention.

You are putting too much emphasis on the efforts of something you have no control over.

It will only eat you up and destroy your good energy you could be spending on family time, or if you are competitive, a sport that you have control over because you are active in it yourself. Golf, fishing, adult team sports you play in, etc.

Truth pill might be tough to swallow.

Compete only with yourself.
Blinnaggie2002
It's not all about winning championships. Having competitive teams with the right culture and ethics means something to me and worth more than cheating to win like so many teams. I'll take our record vs cheating Alabama all day.
chick79
AG
I'm used to it and immune to it. Been following Aggies sports since 1969. While we've had some nice moments of success we've underachieved miserably in all sports over the decades. I can understand it when we were mostly a small mostly male military school but there is really no excuse now considering our resources and the money we pump into the athletic program. We are the largest university in the country. I would suggest finding other things to do like I have over the years.
HoustonAg2021
Blinnaggie2002 said:

It's not all about winning championships. Having competitive teams with the right culture and ethics means something to me and worth more than cheating to win like so many teams. I'll take our record vs cheating Alabama all day.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
The Athletic Department doesn't feel pressure to win. They simply have to focus on selling promises in order to receive an enormous amount of unconditional donations and spend it on their scandalous salaries and inflated infrastructure costs.

How else can anyone explain the decades-long asymmetry between resources and results?

This has all degenerated into the Athletic Department becoming a stain on an otherwise proud Institution.
Either I will find a way or I will make one.
Eike Mlko
BigDave21 said:

It's not about finishing 4th. They just as easily could've won it all. They lost to OU but had taken the series against the other 2 on the other side of the bracket.
HoustonAg2021
The ironic this is our athletic department ought to feel the most under pressure to product a championship with us having the largest men's big 3 national championship draught in the sec.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
Not as long as they keep collecting millions on top of millions unconditionally from an obedient and blindly loyal fan base with an enormous sense of pride for their institution.

It's an enormous scam we have yet to awaken from..
HoustonAg2021
Texagtrojan said:

BigDave21 said:

It's not about finishing 4th. They just as easily could've won it all. They lost to OU but had taken the series against the other 2 on the other side of the bracket.

Didn't though and instead ole miss ended their natty draught. I'm in no way undermining a fantastic season. Schloss is already the greatest baseball coach we have ever had.
chick79
AG
We've had alot of bad hires for athletic director too. I loved Bill Byrne and he demanded excellence in all sports which I agreed with. Since he left we've had a lot of bad ADs. I liked Woodward but his heart was set on going back to LSU. Bjork is an empty suit.
HoustonAg2021
Something gotta give I guess. It's really sad that Aggies have lived lives without seeing so much as a national championship appearance in the three men's sports. Very embarrassing. Even rice figured it out with baseball. Tech made an appearance with basketball. TCU in football. Baylor won it all. The sips obviously have a very good athletic history. UH has made an appearance. It's just flabbergasting that the department has had generations of failure.
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
It has taken me 40 years of loyal following, participation, and past donations to finally arrive at that conclusion.

Do the math, my man.
HoustonAg2021
Yeah you're right
Nice Guy Eddie
AG
I love, absolutely love Texas A&M. I have an enormous amount of pride in our Institution, our alumni base, the 12th man, our core values, and our ability, as graduates, to accomplish great things in just about every front.

Having said that, I have 0.00 faith left in the Athletic Department decision makers' ability to deliver a championship in any of the major sports. (They can start by havi g back to back 10 win seasons in football, or making the NCAA tournament 5 times in a decade)

There is no urgency, or even need. To them, we are a sustainable money printing machine.
HJack20
AG
You can enjoy good/great seasons of success (2020 football, 2022 baseball, etc) while still questioning the fact that we haven't won a men's major sport since 1939. The two are not exclusive. Just because OP is criticizing our lack of championships doesn't mean he isn't enjoying the high points here and there.
chick79
AG
Part of the problem is that we as former students put up with this and continue to pump more and more dollars into overrated coaches, facilities upgrades etc…. Then again part of it is just bad luck.
McKinney Ag69
AG
3rdgenAg3 said:

When it comes to the three big men's sports. I'm just wondering what y'all's opinions are.
I don't know, but it's almost uncanny how bad Texas A&M has been at the sports people actually care about. You almost have to try to fail as bad as we have. Even schools like Colorado, BYU, Georgia Tech, Rice, Miss state, Ole Miss, and Vanderbilt have managed to win National championships more recently. It's pretty embarrassing and really is amazing that not one of the sports has been able to break through. We especially have advantages in baseball and football. Look at what LSU and Texas have been able to do in both sports. I consider them both blue bloods in baseball.

My opinion is it's a combination of our fans being far too loyal to coaches for far too long. See Jimbo's ten-year contract with guaranteed money for example, or the fact that Rob Childress stayed so long and allowed our baseball program to get stale. We also have a circle jerk over how nice opposing fans think we, how much they enjoyed their experience at Kyle Field, Olsen, and Reed, are and how much they like our band. Who gives a F*** about if they like the band.

Our #1 goal should be To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.
Sea Speed
AG
David Happymountain said:

You are putting too much emphasis on the efforts of something you have no control over.

It will only eat you up and destroy your good energy you could be spending on family time, or if you are competitive, a sport that you have control over because you are active in it yourself. Golf, fishing, adult team sports you play in, etc.

THIS. It doesn't matter and you can't do anything to affect the outcomes. Stop wasting emotional and mental capital on it and look at it as simple entertainment and your life will get so much better.
PGAG
AG
Bjork's hires have seemingly performed very well. Woodward was always a rental. And Dollar Bill didn't impress me.
Dr. Tinkle
It's not even that we aren't winning championships. We aren't even sniffing a championship. Last year's baseball is the closest we have been. We are rarely in the top 10 in anything, rarely make an NCAA tournament visit. Rarely make the college World Series or even get to the Supers. Football is just 8-4 and mediocre bowl game every year..well almost every year. We aren't even close enough to discuss championships right now….and that is an even bigger problem.
AG
Blinnaggie2002 said:

Yes, because everyone else cheats but we are as pure as the driven snow.
Pedro Infiniti
chick79 said:

...We are the largest university in the country. ....

Pennsylvania State University holds this moniker; by almost 20,000 attendees.
AggieArchitect04
AG
David Happymountain said:

Adult team sports you play in? Lol. Okay

I don't know what's more embarrassing here…
1. Trying to encourage grown ass men to join your softball league
2. Attempting to talk a devoted fanbase into opting out so they can have more "family time".

Ag Tag
BigDave21 said:

Idk but it really is a discussion that has to happen. No championships in the big 3 men's sports since 1939 and no appearances on top of that is absolutely pathetic and embarrassing. Heck both the Mississippi schools ended their draught in back to back years by winning baseball titles. Something is very very broken.
This. It's unconscionable and outrageous that the inferior, backwards, poor, and podunk Mississippi schools should ever achieve that which we cannot! What's wrong???
FtBendTxAg
AG
Is there any big time program like us?

Teams like auburn have football titles, Michigan State a bball title, ole miss a baseball title, Mississippi state a baseball title. We're basically mizzou.
McKinney Ag69
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Teams like auburn have football titles, Michigan State a bball title, ole miss a baseball title, Mississippi state a baseball title. We're basically mizzou.

There is no other program like us. Not even close. When you compare resources, facilities, money, and fan base size, we are by far the worst. Schools like Baylor, tech, and TCU are winning or playing for championships. We're a laughing stock.
FtBendTxAg
AG
McKinney Ag69 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

There is no other program like us. Not even close. When you compare resources, facilities, money, and fan base size, we are by far the worst. Schools like Baylor, tech, and TCU are winning or playing for championships. We're a laughing stock.

I agree.

Even South Carolina has a recent baseball title
I believe. We're such a joke. Can't even be good at one thing.
HJack20
AG
I posted this in the basketball forum, but here's the most recent men's major sports title from all the SEC teams.

Georgia: 2022 Football
Ole Miss: 2022 Baseball
Mississippi State: 2021 Baseball
Alabama: 2020 Football
LSU: 2019 Football
Vanderbilt: 2019 Baseball
Florida: 2017 Baseball
South Carolina: 2011 Baseball
Kentucky: 2012 Basketball
Auburn: 2010 Football
Tennessee: 1998 Football
Arkansas: 1994 Basketball
Missouri: 1954 Baseball
Texas A&M: 1939 Football
fc2112
So championships are all that matter?

When you buy a lottery ticket and it only pays $100, you tear it up since it isn't $1,000,000, right?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.