Story Poster
Photo by Nathan Papes/USA TODAY NETWORK
Texas A&M Football Recruiting

Why I like the hire of Bobby Petrino as A&M's offensive coordinator

January 5, 2023

Seven more points. One more touchdown.

That would’ve been the difference in Texas A&M going 10-2 instead of 5-7 last season.

That’s why the hiring of a new offensive coordinator should be celebrated in College Station… regardless of identity.

That the identity is Bobby Petrino has opened up Texas A&M and head coach Jimbo Fisher for ridicule and scorn.

Frankly, that’s why I like the addition of Petrino.

Fisher knew Petrino’s hiring would be controversial. He knew hiring Petrino could elicit criticism from Paul Finebaum and other national media. Yet, he felt strongly enough about Petrino to make the move anyway.

Aggies should respect that. Too often, it seems, Aggies look to the media for approval and confirmation only to be met with double standards and dismissal.

Andrew Jansen/News-Leader
In three years at Missouri State, Petrino took the Bears to the FCS playoffs twice.

Of course, national media will ridicule the Petrino hire. That’s what the media does when A&M is the subject.

That’s what the media did when A&M pursued Jimbo Fisher. That’s what the media did when Fisher angrily responded to Alabama coach Nick Saban’s unsubstantiated allegations about A&M buying recruits.

Petrino has given the media plenty of ammunition.

Yes, as offensive coordinator at Auburn, he conspired with boosters to take the head coach position away from Tommy Tuberville.

Yes, as head coach of the Atlanta Falcons, he quit before the season ended to take the head coach position at Arkansas.

Yes, at Arkansas, he was involved in an illicit affair with a staffer he had personally hired.

That was 11 years ago.

Petrino paid his penance just as Auburn coach Hugh Freeze, LSU coach Brian Kelly and Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin paid theirs.

Petrino can coach offense. He’s a brilliant play-caller. He’ll have more overall talent with which to work than he ever did at Arkansas or Louisville. In four years at Arkansas, Petrino never had a recruiting class ranked higher than 20th. In nine years (two stints) at Louisville, his highest-rated recruiting class was 23rd.

A long-time friend close to the Arkansas program called Petrino an “evil genius.”

The genius is his mind for game-planning offense and maximizing the talent on hand. The evil part is his personality.

Kirby Clarke, TexAgs
Petrino most recently crossed paths with Texas A&M at the 2015 Music City Bowl, and led by Lamar Jackson, his Louisville offense racked up 534 yards vs. the Aggies.

Petrino is as cuddly as a cactus and has the disposition of a copperhead. He doesn’t like recruiting. Spending time with prospects and their parents was a laborious part of the head coaching profession to him.

But the guy can coach. He can take decent players and create an explosive offense.

In 13 seasons at Arkansas and Louisville, nine of Petrino’s teams ranked among the nation’s top 17 in scoring. Ten of his teams averaged at least 31.2 points per game.

Imagine what Petrino could potentially do with emerging quarterback Conner Weigman, a receiving corps that may include Ainias Smith, Evan Stewart and Moose Muhammad, big-play running back prospect Rueben Owens‍ and a more experienced, healthier offensive line.

Last year, A&M averaged 22.8 points per game. With Petrino’s influence, the Aggies will score more. Maybe much more.

If that happens, the Aggies could/should be legitimate SEC championship contenders in 2023.

Petrino isn’t the politically correct hire. A&M’s rivals just hope he’s not the right hire.

Discussion from...

24,604 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Houstonag
Shadow of CuervoAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
At the end of the day, this will pass as the news cycle finds something else to pounce on. As noted by OB and others, there are other coaches currently at a number of P5 programs that have as checkered of a past if not worse as BP. Some at schools viewed by sports media as more "blue blooded" than A&M.

I say screw'em regarding the national sports media if they want to condescend about the hire. At this point the hiring of Petrino will be judged by how he produces Ws, as long as he keeps himself out of the negative limelight - which it seems he has learned to do for over the last 10+ years.

Now "Just win baby"!!
Do not post opposing views or you too, like me, will become a shadow of your former self.
The Collective
AG
I think this is simple. There are very few guys who could possibly be a strong enough personality to take over the offense from Jimbo, and I think we hired one of those guys.
nu awlins ag
AG
AG81 said:

Petrino has left a wake of destruction behind him everywhere he's been. The argument that he's done his penance is ridiculous at best. Look up the meaning of the word. Penance is something one does VOLUNTARILY. He's not voluntarily ostracized himself from Power 5 programs, they all (except now us apparently) reject him because of his career long character lapses. Those lapses didn't end 11 years ago, they've continued until as recently as, well, now when he leaves one program to join another, then leaves them for us. If there aren't 20 other coaches that could get you those 7 points a season, then the problems aren't going to be solved by someone so terribly flawed as Bobby Petrino.

Wave of destruction? He had an affair? A&M had a HC that did that as well. Bobby maybe rough around the edges but hasn't committed a felony. Get over yourself.
94chem
Shadow of CuervoAg said:

At the end of the day, this will pass as the news cycle finds something else to pounce on. As noted by OB and others, there are other coaches currently at a number of P5 programs that have as checkered of a past if not worse as BP. Some at schools viewed by sports media as more "blue blooded" than A&M.

I say screw'em regarding the national sports media if they want to condescend about the hire. At this point the hiring of Petrino will be judged by how he produces Ws, as long as he keeps himself out of the negative limelight - which it seems he has learned to do for over the last 10+ years.

Now "Just win baby"!!

Not defending Petrino, but it's a fact that the media coverage isn't what makes decisions. If we're bad, the coverage is negative because we overpaid. If we're good, we must be cheating. The only positive coverage is when we're mediocre at stuff no one cares about. I think Jimbo and A&M are saying that he's not the next Bear Bryant, Jackie Sherrill, or Kermit Davis. It will be the results in the field, not the media narrative, that is the measure of success.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
LB12Diamond
AG
94chem said:

Shadow of CuervoAg said:

Now "Just win baby"!!

Not defending Petrino, but it's a fact that the media coverage isn't what makes decisions. If we're bad, the coverage is negative because we overpaid. If we're good, we must be cheating. The only positive coverage is when we're mediocre at stuff no one cares about. I think Jimbo and A&M are saying that he's not the next Bear Bryant, Jackie Sherrill, or Kermit Davis. It will be the results in the field, not the media narrative, that is the measure of success.

And after 5 years Jimbo's been a failure here.
94chem
LB12Diamond said:

94chem said:

Shadow of CuervoAg said:

Now "Just win baby"!!

Sure, but you are adding nothing constructive by saying that. Here, let me help you build that clause into something useful. For example, one might say that, "Despite the varied opinions on this thread, one could argue that Jimbo's biggest mistake by far was not his offensive philosophy, but personnel decisions. Specifically, his insistence on playing Haynes King despite zero in game evidence that he was the guy. The reality is that Calzada was probably better than King. If Petrino accomplishes nothing more than getting the right players on the field, it will provide a vast upgrade in results."

That's just one example. You can probably think of others, or perhaps even useful counterpoints, if you apply yourself.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
ABATTBQ87
AG

Quote:

a failure?

Jimbo Fisher is the only A&M coach to recruit the #1 class in the nation and defended A&M when verbally attacked for cheating.

He is the only head coach in A&M history to deal with Covid, Transfer Portals, and NIL while learning how to deal with these issues on the fly.

Since 1954 A&M has had 12 Head Football coaches; 3 won National Championships at other schools, so they may be considered failures at A&M but not elsewhere (2 of those coaches have statues at Alabama)

If you claim Fisher is a failure because we have not won 10+ games in a season, then only Bryant, Bellard, Sherrill, Slocum, and Sumlin are not failures. Of course, all were fired for being failures except for Bryant.

The only constant in the failure of A&M football coaches is that they coach at A&M.
AG81
AG
nu awlins ag said:

AG81 said:

Petrino has left a wake of destruction behind him everywhere he's been. The argument that he's done his penance is ridiculous at best. Look up the meaning of the word. Penance is something one does VOLUNTARILY. He's not voluntarily ostracized himself from Power 5 programs, they all (except now us apparently) reject him because of his career long character lapses. Those lapses didn't end 11 years ago, they've continued until as recently as, well, now when he leaves one program to join another, then leaves them for us. If there aren't 20 other coaches that could get you those 7 points a season, then the problems aren't going to be solved by someone so terribly flawed as Bobby Petrino.

Wave of destruction? He had an affair? A&M had a HC that did that as well. Bobby maybe rough around the edges but hasn't committed a felony. Get over yourself.

If you think Petrino's only transgression was an affair, you're either horribly uninformed or wilfully ignorant.
JROD9398
Just being honest here....can't figure out Olin's math. On the difference between 5-7 and 10-2.
TexAggie1999
Why does Olin like the hire? Because it is in the best interest of Texags to like the hire. It is understandable because the site needs access to the program to be successful, but you have to take any articles with a grain of salt.

Did Petrino leave the Atlanta Falcons mid-season? Yes. But he also had told the owner 24 hours before leaving that he was committed to being the coach. He also notified the team by leaving notes in the players' lockers with a stamped signature.

Yes, Petrino had an affair with a staffer he personally hired. Olin doesn't make it clear that he was having that affair with her long before she was hired with questionable qualifications. It is one thing to have an affair. It is another thing to hire someone at a public university that you are having an undisclosed affair with. He also initially lied about the accident to try to cover up his affair.

There is discussion of his successful seasons at Arkansas and Louisville, but no mention of his most recent season at Missouri State where he averaged 366.4 yards per game (which would have been good enough for 79th in the FBS) and 27.36 points per game (which would have been good enough for for 64th in the FBS) on the way to a 5-6 season. Petrino was quite good in his last season in Arkansas where he went 11-2 in 2011 before being fired for his misconduct. However, in his last Power 5 coaching season he was 2-8 at Louisville in 2018 with wins only against Indiana State and Western Kentucky before being fired. His offense averaged 21.7 points per game in those 10 games. For comparison, that is worse than the offensive scoring of the 2022 Texas A&M Aggies which none of us are happy about.

The national media isn't ridiculing this hire because he is going to Texas A&M. They are ridiculing this hire because Petrino has a MASSIVE amount of baggage. It doesn't help that we already had Durkin on the coaching staff who has a bad reputation. The optics of this coaching staff are horrible, and we deserve any ridicule we get.

And ask yourself why no other Power 5 school was interested in Petrino. We didn't have to outbid any major schools for him. We didn't have to be a better "destination" than any other major schools for him. We only had to beat out UNLV. No one else wanted him. Is it because only Texas A&M has low enough character standards to bring in such an incredible offensive coach? While sadly it appears that we do have lower character standards than just about anyone else, I have no doubt that if Petrino were a slam dunk hire in terms of his offensive coaching skills, at least a handful of other Power 5 schools would have been interested in him over the last four years.

It might work out. We certainly have talent on the offensive side with strong receivers, a potentially good QB, and an offensive line that should be better than last year. Even a Jimbo led offense would be better next year. I certainly hope we are better so that Petrino gets a head coaching job at an FBS school and we can cut ties with him after the 2023 season.

And 7 points per game being the difference between 10-2 and 5-7 doesn't really mean a lot. 7 points per game is the difference between the 10th highest scoring offense in the FBS and the 47th highest scoring offense in the FBS. 7 points is A LOT. Texas would have been undefeated in the regular season if they scored 7 more points per game. What does that mean? Nothing.

Quail
LB12Diamond said:

4 said:

Quote:

Cause what else are you going to say publicly Olin?

Yeppers

Why Olin likes it

Bc he has no choice

He can't cut off the hand that feeds him.

This is it 100 %!
lifetimeredshirt
AG
The Collective said:

I think this is simple. There are very few guys who could possibly be a strong enough personality to take over the offense from Jimbo, and I think we hired one of those guys.

This
PabloSerna
AG
"Short leash Mr. Pertino. SHORT 'F'N LEASH!!"

Now take us to the promise land!

Signem
Call me stupid, but the guy hasn't even done anything here yet. Yeah, he's done some pretty bad things in the past. But he's here and on the payroll. Jimbo did what he had to do. Let's be a little more Christian here, and let he who is without sin cast the first stone. For pity's sake, let the man do his job, whatever it was that he agreed to.
Magpie 2.0
It's the people like you who think you are so far ahead of the average in perception because you can follow the money. That's a tired trope and critique of Olin but i think he is already ahead of you in a real understanding of the situation. Your participation in the media lynching of aggies and aggieland is disgusting. gtfo
Magpie 2.0
great post. that, and our offense will
soar under Petrino because he is a brilliant ornery offensive schemer. and he won't have to recruit except when he wants to. for a guy who doesn't like to recruit he had some really good teams that were always a threat to beat you when you had superior talent. i hated it when the ags played arkie with BP as head coach.
Magpie 2.0
Agenda, much?

Your moral certitude and hawkeye for your own moral superiority is what trips us up in the media to begin with. F*** you and Paul Finebaum and we will see you at the National Championship game, with Petrino as OC. We were not hiring troop leaders for the Boy Scouts, thank goodness, but somebody who could deal with Jimbo and has proven acumen. Your condemnation of Aggies and all fans and supporters unless we join the media dogpile is disgraceful and as wrong as it could be. Jimbo is crazy like a fox on this hire and will be vindicated.
AgLaw02
AG
Signem said:

Let's be a little more Christian here, and let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
I'm a fan of the hire, but I think this statement is absurd. There's nothing "unchristian" about someone believing that Patrino doesn't have the moral qualifications to be a leader of young men.
Houstonag
AG
A good hire. The naysayers from SI and other rags and of course the Paul F pundit are just wanting to gain some air time with their publications and broadcast. The SEC with the Paul F show is a joke. I search for some relevant broadcast sometime on the SEC channel and every time I see Paul F he makes me cringe and his puppet callers. Most are Alabama fans.

It would be nice if the SEC channel could upgrade their program line up with more skillful and talented broadcasters.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.