Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Things can get better

5,745 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 2ndGen87
snowdog90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hear me out.

Injuries truly have decimated the team. Crucial losses to OL, DL, WR, QB, LB, secondary - so many injuries.

As a result, many young guys have gotten playing time. Yes they were great high school players, but they are still young.

So when judging this team, don't question their heart, they are playing hard. It's just that some of them probably shouldn't be on the field yet.

I think the coaching has been lacking, but it's hard to tell how bad they've been when there's so many 3rd and 4th stringers on the field.

I know, "next year"... I have my doubts about Jimbo as a coach, but this team is a MASH unit right now. It's hard to imagine that the team would have gotten 10 wins even with great coaching, given so many crucial injuries.

Conner should get better each game, as should others, and hopefully by year's end, we'll have a lot of experience coming back next year and some success to build on.
William K. Klingaman
This is the ONE year we have a legitimate reason to say "we're young" and have a lot to look forward to if Jimbo can keep most of them.
BCEDAg
AG
OP it can only get better. This season has been a disgusting and frustrating s##tshow.
83Aggie
AG
We are definitely playing for '23 and '24 and I am Okay with that....just as long as he hands over the clipboard, recruits at a high level, hires an OC, DC, and Line coach... and looks at the portal for Oline and LBs.
Rebbasser
AG
I'm as frustrated as all of you, but the OP has a point. Not only has the injury bug been devistating, we only have 8 seniors. And 40-yes, 40 true and redshirt fish. That is almost half the team. Dave Elmendorf made a comment that our lines-both of them-are going up against upper classmen who have been in the weight room for 2-3 years along with the experience that goes along with that. A lot of our guys were playing high school football a year ago. I would imagine Jimbo would prefer not to play them but that is the hand we were dealt. I do think these growing pains will pay off down the road.
Old Army '83
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
William K. Klingaman said:

This is the ONE year we have a legitimate reason to say "we're young" and have a lot to look forward to if Jimbo can keep most of them.

What legitimate reason do we have for being a young team in year five of the head coach?! This is insane.
DimebagsGhost
AG
Rebbasser said:

I'm as frustrated as all of you, but the OP has a point. Not only has the injury bug been devistating, we only have 8 seniors. And 40-yes, 40 true and redshirt fish. That is almost half the team. Dave Elmendorf made a comment that our lines-both of them-are going up against upper classmen who have been in the weight room for 2-3 years along with the experience that goes along with that. A lot of our guys were playing high school football a year ago. I would imagine Jimbo would prefer not to play them but that is the hand we were dealt. I do think these growing pains will pay off down the road.
this makes too much sense for most the pansy ass people on this board who have an axe to grind and don't understand how this season is playing out
antman8504
AG
This team is young but talented. We will right the ship next year.

First losing season in forever. It happens.
antman8504
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

What legitimate reason do we have for being a young team in year five of the head coach?! This is insane.

You're right but fact is the OL and DL have tons of freshman and sophomores playing. They will mature over the next few years and be better. Jimbo does need to use the transfer portal better to fill gaps but next few years there will be a solid core to work with.
Loren Visser
You're crazy OP. 3-5 is the best it can get.
If the pay's right, and it's legal, I'll do it...Well, if the pay's right, I'll do it.
Cheo
TxAg76
AG

I'll give a couple.
1. When you're turning over your roster by continuing to recruit better and better, it means the incoming fish might actually be better than what you already had. Eventually that will top out though. In prior years we were under the delusion that we had talent. We didn't. As evidenced by the quantity of kids we put into the NFL each year as compared to the elite teams we wanna take the trophy from.
2. When you have draft-eligible players that leave early, and in several cases they probably shouldn't have, that's gonna hit hard. And if you're still turning over your roster per #1 above, it's gonna hit even harder.
3. Transfer portal. Although it could also help you, so that can sometimes works itself out. But remember the LT from Tennessee? He was thought to be a great pickup, but in reality he was a shiitshow
AGDAD14
We will play for a SEC championship when we have….

- SEC first team RB
- LB that dominates from sideline to sideline
- NFL caliber headhunter at Safety
- a 3rd year starter/leader at QB
- OL and DL good enough to compliment the above
- #12 and special teams that fire up the 12th Man

It's simple, but hard!!

Until then coaching and schemes only get you 7 or 8 wins at best.

HoustonAg2021

Should've used the portal so that we weren't so young then
ArcheryAg
One of the most level headed posts I've seen here all season.
Ag_EE_88
AG
There is ZERO reason to be losing as much as we are. If we are young and losing, that's a roster management issue. Period. End of story. There is ZERO reason to lose to App. State. That should literally never happen. And, we were ranked 6th to start the season. Not one person was saying that youth was going to be an issue. Not one.
htownag33
Legit post.

Only thing that scares me, is your "should get better" comment. I don't personally see the true development of our players with this coaching staff. Here's to hoping we figure out our injury bug issues and that some of these young guys truly learn from this season and stay humble and hungry to work their tails off and improve.
Viper16
AG
It's year 5 boys and girls.......this is unacceptable!
#FJB

Trump 2024

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis
snowdog90

We should be more experienced, but we've lost a lot of juniors to the draft, some to portal and some who medically retired. For whatever reason, there's not a lot of upperclassmen. That and injuries have been brutal this year. Hopefully, that won't be the case next year.

We all realize that coaching must get better and some things should change, but hopefully next year we'll be more experienced and healthier. At least the QB position looks bright.
Meanmachine
AG
Yes they are young but my biggest concern is when we put young guys in a situation to fail. All night long on defense we ran a 2 high safety look with 4 dL and 1 lb in the box. No possible way that 1 lb has a chance to stop the running game by alignment. That isn't being young that is bad scheme. If you put 6 in the box vs 7 you have a chance to stop the running game. Players are only as good as the coaches that coach them and ours have done a bad job the last 2 weeks.
Ag Tag
There are many posts on this website that have too many words.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Even with all these injuries and inexperinced players, I still think its inexusable to lose to Appalachian State at home and at South Carolina, especially in Jimbo Fisher's 5th year. Losses to Mississippi State, Alabama and Ole Miss were understandable, but not to Appalachian State and South Carolina. We should be 5-3 or 6-2 at this point, not 3-5.

This is what I want to see for the rest of the season.

1. Beat Florida at home on 11/5.

2. Beat Auburn on the road on 11/12 to snap a 5-game road losing streak. That would gives us our first road win since a 35-14 rout of Missouri on 10/16/21 and first road win against an SEC West team since a 31-20 win at Auburn on 12/5/20.

3. Bowl eligibility.

4. Beating LSU at home would be an added bonus because we will probably be home underdogs to LSU.

5. A bowl win would mean 7-6 finish and avoiding our first losing season since a 6-7 finish in 2009.

During the offseason, I would like to see Jimbo Fisher make the following changes.

1. Hire a good offensive coordinator and deligate playcalling to him.

2. Retain most of our freshman recruits.

3. Sign at least a good 2023 class.

4. Hit the transfer portal hard for offensive linemen to bring in more competition preferably that are juniors or seniors.
snowdog90
htownag33 said:

Legit post.

Only thing that scares me, is your "should get better" comment. I don't personally see the true development of our players with this coaching staff. Here's to hoping we figure out our injury bug issues and that some of these young guys truly learn from this season and stay humble and hungry to work their tails off and improve.

Yep, as I said, I'm not totally sold on Jimbo being an elite coach. He's got many issues that bother me. He's a great recruiter, but those guys need guidance. I'm not seeing it.

Much will be revealed in the next year or so. The point of this thread is just to point out that it's hard to coach third stringers to beat SEC teams.
phatty26
antman8504 said:

This team is young but talented. We will right the ship next year.

First losing season in forever. It happens.

Drew sanders wanted to come but we turned him down. How much better would Durkin d look with him in their as s LB. It would've been just like what he had at ole miss last year with the transfer from Maryland.
Barnacle
AG
Seems like we've been young every year of Jimbo's tenure.
sharpdressedman
Let's reevaluate after the impacts of transfer portal activity, turnover in assistant coaches, an offensive makeover, and 2023 recruiting are settled.
BCEDAg
AG
Not just Jimbo's tenure - seems like for the last two decades.
NewOldAg
AG
You don't remember the 2020 offensive line, do you?

Here's a list of the offensive linemen from 2020. https://12thman.com/news/2020/5/12/2020-texas-am-football-position-breakdown-offensive-line.aspx

That line was extremely experienced made up of seniors and Kenyon Green. Notice the drop off of the redshirt and newcomers. Most of those guys medically retired like Luke Matthews or transferred like Chris Morris (legal issues).
tk for tu juan
MagnumLoad
snowdog90 said:

Hear me out.

Injuries truly have decimated the team. Crucial losses to OL, DL, WR, QB, LB, secondary - so many injuries.

As a result, many young guys have gotten playing time. Yes they were great high school players, but they are still young.

So when judging this team, don't question their heart, they are playing hard. It's just that some of them probably shouldn't be on the field yet.

I think the coaching has been lacking, but it's hard to tell how bad they've been when there's so many 3rd and 4th stringers on the field.

I know, "next year"... I have my doubts about Jimbo as a coach, but this team is a MASH unit right now. It's hard to imagine that the team would have gotten 10 wins even with great coaching, given so many crucial injuries.

Conner should get better each game, as should others, and hopefully by year's end, we'll have a lot of experience coming back next year and some success to build on.
Why do we have soooo many injuries?
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
TAM85
Yes, injuries have been staggering this season. I would like to know how many injuries occurred in practice vs. games. If we are having many injuries occur during in-season practices then we need to consider changes to decrease that amount.
NoahAg

Graduates. Medical retirement of some O linemen. Guys who went to the NFL early. Spiller and Jalen W should still be here. Demas thugged out. Chapman got scared off by the freshmen WRs coming in (rightly so).
Let's go, Brandon!
DSAG

Someone trying to use logic on this board ?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Well they can't get much worse
ABATTBQ11
AG
NoahAg said:

Graduates. Medical retirement of some O linemen. Guys who went to the NFL early. Spiller and Jalen W should still be here. Demas thugged out. Chapman got scared off by the freshmen WRs coming in (rightly so).

My issue with this is a lack of backfilling via the portal. If you know you're thin on experience, go get some.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.