Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Things can get better

5,744 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 2ndGen87
TopoTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bob Loblaws Law Blog said:

William K. Klingaman said:

This is the ONE year we have a legitimate reason to say "we're young" and have a lot to look forward to if Jimbo can keep most of them.

What legitimate reason do we have for being a young team in year five of the head coach?! This is insane.

It's rough, and the excuses don't excuse it, but we had a few guys transfer out and multiple dudes medically retire. Add in some guys leaving early in the draft (which on the whole is a great problem to have) and here we are.

It's not great, but it's the reality. I'll always believe that we could've won the title in 2013 had Demontre Moore retuned for his senior year… and I think if Kenyon Green had come back for a senior campaign and Blake Trainor had stayed healthy we'd probably be closer to 7-1 right now, but guys have to do what's right for them (especially when that involves tons of NFL money)
Jawbreaker

This is the ONE year we have a legitimate reason to say "we're young" and have a lot to look forward to if Jimbo can keep most of them.

What legitimate reason do we have for being a young team in year five of the head coach?! This is insane.
Players age might be a reason for us calling it 'Young'.
I mean i'm not brain engineer, but.....

COULD IT BE?!?!?!
"O' Son of dust, who can make these bones dance again?"
Krautag81
AGDAD14 said:

We will play for a SEC championship when we have….

- SEC first team RB
- LB that dominates from sideline to sideline
- NFL caliber headhunter at Safety
- a 3rd year starter/leader at QB
- OL and DL good enough to compliment the above
- #12 and special teams that fire up the 12th Man

It's simple, but hard!!

Until then coaching and schemes only get you 7 or 8 wins at best.

Let's give Jimbo another five years!
TyperWoods
I'm not sure why some are so enamored with the portal....

It's kids that couldn't cut it at the school they were at, for whatever reason.

I'm kidding....I do know why some are so enamored with the portal.....they aren't capable of rational, non-emotional thought.
Ag Tag
The transfer portal can be a great thing for both the players and the coaches.
Ags77
AG
We are young, but why are we young ? That's the question.

We have injuries. EVERY TEAM does.
Gigem
aggiedad7
snowdog90 said:

Hear me out.

Injuries truly have decimated the team. Crucial losses to OL, DL, WR, QB, LB, secondary - so many injuries.

As a result, many young guys have gotten playing time. Yes they were great high school players, but they are still young.

So when judging this team, don't question their heart, they are playing hard. It's just that some of them probably shouldn't be on the field yet.

I think the coaching has been lacking, but it's hard to tell how bad they've been when there's so many 3rd and 4th stringers on the field.

I know, "next year"... I have my doubts about Jimbo as a coach, but this team is a MASH unit right now. It's hard to imagine that the team would have gotten 10 wins even with great coaching, given so many crucial injuries.

Conner should get better each game, as should others, and hopefully by year's end, we'll have a lot of experience coming back next year and some success to build on.
Still doesn't explain App St.
Houstonag
AG
Many good points here but why so many injuries? Why did we get in the hole of not having some experience on the OL and DL? Jimbo is in his 5th year.

Defense alone is a disaster even with young players. It is the defensive scheme. With these offenses today, I would have five down linemen bull rushing the backfield and the QB. Penetration with stunts is the key. Keep them on their heels, contain the QBs, and protect the ends. The secondary needs to cover man to man on key receivers.

Mississippi scrambled many times on 3rd and long due to not containment. Unacceptable.
Jarrin' Jay
AG

Lots of early entry draft guys (some smart, many not) and an unreal amount of OL medical retirements. Not saying it's legit or not, but those are the facts.

As for it getting better, the O scheme and playcalling is fine, maybe not a hyper aggressive pyrotechnic offense some may like but when run well and efficiently it is very good or can be very good. So, on that side of the ball we are OK to good. On defense we are playing a ton of FR and young players.... but my biggest concern on D is Durkin, do not like his schemes at all and I don't think that is being driven by personnel.

DL recruiting has been very good, DB recruiting has been very good, we need a much stronger emphasis on LB recruiting #s, quality is there but the #s are lacking.
Rebbasser
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Well they can't get much worse
Oh,yes they can!
Old Army '83
one safe place
Provided Jimbo remains way too involved in the offense, provided that Durkin stays as DC, provided we don't lose very many that choose to go into the portal, I see no reason we can't climb from the bottom or close to the bottome of the SEC West to somewhere solidly in the middle.
2ndGen87
AG
By age, the Ole Miss running back Justin should still be in high school.

The defensive players who tried tackling the high schooler are at least a year old and he went through them like melted butter.

But who knows, maybe Justin is a future Heisman winner.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.