Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

WTF was that play call?

9,061 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PatAg
eATMup-Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Porkchop Express said:

If Haynes had thrown it when he pivoted, he catches it for a TD or it's interference, but he waited and then threw a crap throw.

With hindsight 20/20, if they would have faked a handoff in would have drawn those LBs and Haynes could have walked it in.

Terrible play call, however you're correct that King waited WAY too long to throw the ball. Horrible timing throw by King, and I am certain they practice that timing throw a lot. Horrible call and worse execution by King. The fact that the throw wasn't even in the End Zone tells you how late the throw was.
1991sir
HK was limping around. I doubt he gets it in the end zone with his feet.
FTAG 2000
AG
haynes hasn't shown he can throw to a guy before he breaks all year. expecting him to do it in that situation is idiotic.
angus55
Gol***93 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

Gol***93 said:

Y'all have no idea how playcalls work.

There's a play side route concept, and a backside choice route. King clearly thought he had a good matchup 1-on-1 on the backside and took that throw. Bad decision, bad read. Not a bad playcall.

You're wrong….there was no "route concept" at all. It was run to the end zone and turn around. Watch the play again. It was a terrible play call. The bad decision and bad read just enhanced it.

At the very least you roll your QB out and create some space and time for a WR to get open or your QB finds a lane and runs it in. Give yourself a chance!

You're not understanding what I said.

Trips left, one wide right.
The trips side has a route concept that you can go through, and then the solo wideout has a choice route. Either a fade or a stop right at the goal line.

King saw one-on-one (or so he thought), and went to his playmaker. Poor route running, poor throw, maybe poor decision? I'm not in their meeting rooms so I don't know what their cues are for going backside.

This coming from a former D-1 QB.

Th trip side route concept was ass my dude. Wasn't a good call. Been breaking it down last 15 minutes. Can't spin it. Hopefully they get confidence from this and finish out strong for next year. I feel like we see Conner soon. King played gutsy but he isn't the answer.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
Bronco6G
Hand Of God said:

Haynes played really well on the final drive. Smart decisions, good throws, and managed the clock without any timeouts. But Jimbo set him up to fail on the 2 yard line.

Hello Mr. King
Elephant Ghost
Microcosm of this season to date
Goose83
AG
Hand Of God said:

Even if he catches it he ain't scoring.
That's what you get for $100 million - If you want a play that actually works, that will cost you $101 million.
fightinag
i was hoping to surprise everyone with a short pass to the tight end in the endzone !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
The Porkchop Express
OldArmy97 said:

What's missing is there is no creative play calling when the game is on the line - go YouTube 2006 Boise St v OU Fiesta Bowl for those of you who weren't born yet and see what I'm talking about! That play in OT was money! This is what we needed tonight…
Who do you think is posting on this thread at 11 on a Saturday night wasn't born yet in 2006?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
newbie11
Gol***93 said:

There's a play side route concept, and a backside choice route. King clearly thought he had a good matchup 1-on-1 on the backside and took that throw. Bad decision, bad read. Not a bad playcall.

The throw sucked. Handing it off at least would've given Achane a chance
GolfAg93
S
angus55 said:

Gol***93 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

Gol***93 said:

You're wrong….there was no "route concept" at all. It was run to the end zone and turn around. Watch the play again. It was a terrible play call. The bad decision and bad read just enhanced it.

At the very least you roll your QB out and create some space and time for a WR to get open or your QB finds a lane and runs it in. Give yourself a chance!

The trips side has a route concept that you can go through, and then the solo wideout has a choice route. Either a fade or a stop right at the goal line.

King saw one-on-one (or so he thought), and went to his playmaker. Poor route running, poor throw, maybe poor decision? I'm not in their meeting rooms so I don't know what their cues are for going backside.

Th trip side route concept was ass my dude. Wasn't a good call. Been breaking it down last 15 minutes. Can't spin it. Hopefully they get confidence from this and finish out strong for next year. I feel like we see Conner soon. King played gutsy but he isn't the answer.

Yeah, I've rewatched it a few times. The front side didn't look great, so going backside was the right read. Just way late on the throw.

I don't understand why he double clutches every single throw. The o-line wasn't doing him favors on a lot of drop backs, but sometimes you just gotta out your foot in the ground and deliver while taking a shot.

Hoping to see Connor soon as well.
TexasAggiesWin
S
My thought is that was a 7 on 7 type of throw/play. Where those routes right in front of the pylon work in 7 on 7 when the pads are off but they don't work when the defensive line/offensive line are battling and then you have pads on. Add to that a absolutely terrible throw... and the Ags take another L
pbaitman
Play call was fine and if Haynes throws it sooner it's a TD. Had separation but Stewart had to come back and it was pass interference as well. He dropped back a mile thinking he was going to get blitzed. Almost stole one. Frustrating. I would still think you run it with Achane and say we win or lose with our best player not our worst QB
PatAg
AG
Gol***93 said:

angus55 said:

Gol***93 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

Gol***93 said:

Yeah, I've rewatched it a few times. The front side didn't look great, so going backside was the right read. Just way late on the throw.

I don't understand why he double clutches every single throw. The o-line wasn't doing him favors on a lot of drop backs, but sometimes you just gotta out your foot in the ground and deliver while taking a shot.

Chase Lane sure looks like he has his guy beat running to the back pylon, if King had looked that way
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

Gol***93 said:

angus55 said:

Gol***93 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

Gol***93 said:

Chase Lane sure looks like he has his guy beat running to the back pylon, if King had looked that way

you can basically pause it 1 second in and see it.
Obviously King has decided he is going to Stewart pre-snap, which is not the worst decision given how the 4th quarter went
1991sir
I think it's actually a smart play call. HK missed the read. You have your playmakers all moving in the same direction. Eyes on Stewart, green, Achane…. And you run a back pylon fade with lane. Who is probably going to get a one on one match up.

Y'all act like this wasn't Alabama that we were playing.Haynes king missed the read. You can tell by Jimbo's reaction. And Haynes reaction.
Onionman
So many things have to go right on that play,

Just run the dang ball!
GolfAg93
S
Onionman said:

Just run the dang ball!

Love this line of thinking lol. "LET'S JUST REVERT BACK TO THE STONE AGE. THE FORWARD PASS IS TOO COMPLICATED!!"
angus55
PatAg said:

Gol***93 said:

angus55 said:

Gol***93 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

Gol***93 said:

No way he makes that long throw to the wide side.

O-line did hold up decent on that last play.

As I said in another thread I like motioning Achane to the wide Trips and then bringing him back underneath double slants on an angle cut.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
94chem
Direct snap to Achane with 4 wides was the play call.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
biki1121
Gol***93 said:

Not a bad decision or play call. The receiver simply didn't push the DB deep enough for the comeback. King put the ball in the right spot for the call. It was a good matchup and a good decision. Poor execution by the receiver.

Aggie1188
Gol***93 said:

Onionman said:

Just run the dang ball!

Love this line of thinking lol. "LET'S JUST REVERT BACK TO THE STONE AGE. THE FORWARD PASS IS TOO COMPLICATED!!"
Well the forward pass is too complicated for us. It's not like we are a normal offense. Ffs
Aggie1188
Hand Of God said:

Haynes played really well on the final drive. Smart decisions, good throws, and managed the clock without any timeouts. But Jimbo set him up to fail on the 2 yard line.
Lol. King wasted like 30 seconds on the first play of that drive with a 5 yard pass inbounds. Then he did it again on 2nd down short of the first down. Those are 2 epically dumb things right there alone on the final drive. And that pass at the very end really was horrible.
Gilligan
AG
You guys do realize Jimbo sucks!

This is a poorly coached bad football team.

Year Five. Year FIVE! No excuses at this point.
Ag_EE_88
AG
If we had just executed it better….
PatAg
AG
angus55 said:

PatAg said:

Gol***93 said:

angus55 said:

Gol***93 said:

Your Mom And Them said:

Gol***93 said:

No way he makes that long throw to the wide side.

O-line did hold up decent on that last play.

As I said in another thread I like motioning Achane to the wide Trips and then bringing him back underneath double slants on an angle cut.
At the very least, you put achane out and thats 1 defender who has to account for him

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.