Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Smith and How Jimbo Will Respond (I hope)

9,821 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Naked Hiker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just heard on the radio. Yep, you nailed it. No wonder that charge is also present half of the time when theres a kid who gets a dwi with weed.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
KaneIsAble said:

I'm no lawyer but he was caught allegedly committing a crime and it is unlawful to possess a weapon while committing any crime.

You make it sound like he was robbing a 7-11 or liquor store or involved in a drive-by shooting.

He will miss 2 games and that's is and move on.

Poor judgment to be sure, but taken individually none of these are things you do not see from college aged kids. There really is no reason in BCS to have a loaded gun with you other than trying to keep your street cred up....
KaneIsAble
AG
Sorry bud; I'm sure there is a better way of stating hence the "I'm no lawyer" disclaimer. If he was actually over the limit then he was in fact committing a crime but hope he blew under as rumored.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Similar to Clemons last year, will be suspended for a couple of games and then probably have a great season.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
KaneIsAble said:

Sorry bud; I'm sure there is a better way of stating hence the "I'm no lawyer" disclaimer. If he was actually over the limit then he was in fact committing a crime but hope he blew under as rumored.

By your logic you are committing a crime every time you drive 56 in a 55 MPH zone.....
rootube
AG
BigSneezy said:

dcg4403 said:

Pot is nothing. Dumbass doesnt need a gun tempting his less than developed brain and IQ level. Stupid kids love mixing up weed with loaded guns. That is the issue. He gets a free pass as a player. Unfortunately this isnt unusual behavior.

Far more worried about getting 10 wins this year and landing another top 5 class.

A couple of things.

1. I agree, there is a locker room issue here.
2. I believe Jimbo will learn from the Clemons situation and will respond in a way that is fair and appropriate.
3. I disagree, I don't think he will get a free pass. He will lose playing time.
4. I agree it isn't unusual, he probably already has a publicly known and communicated consequence that the team already knows. It will be interesting to see what occurs.
5. This will not affect recruiting if it's handled appropriately. As you said, recruits know this is common and they know what the rules are.
If we had learned from the Clemons situation wouldn't we not be in the current situation. I would suggest that we have learned nothing and that there are cars out there with pot and guns just waiting for a cop to pull them over. I will believe we have learned something when the arrests stop happening.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Do we need idiots like this?
Al Bula
AG
The mental gymnastics the OP goes through to justify the behavior of an adult under the influence with a gun operating a vehicle is awesome.

Jimbo is first and foremost a businessman in this to make mega millions. If some former players mistake the discipline associated with having an above average to really good team for parenting and fatherly advice, well that's just gravy on top of his banking accounts.
Pumpkinhead
AG
rootube said:

BigSneezy said:

dcg4403 said:

Pot is nothing. Dumbass doesnt need a gun tempting his less than developed brain and IQ level. Stupid kids love mixing up weed with loaded guns. That is the issue. He gets a free pass as a player. Unfortunately this isnt unusual behavior.

Far more worried about getting 10 wins this year and landing another top 5 class.

A couple of things.

1. I agree, there is a locker room issue here.
2. I believe Jimbo will learn from the Clemons situation and will respond in a way that is fair and appropriate.
3. I disagree, I don't think he will get a free pass. He will lose playing time.
4. I agree it isn't unusual, he probably already has a publicly known and communicated consequence that the team already knows. It will be interesting to see what occurs.
5. This will not affect recruiting if it's handled appropriately. As you said, recruits know this is common and they know what the rules are.
If we had learned from the Clemons situation wouldn't we not be in the current situation. I would suggest that we have learned nothing and that there are cars out there with pot and guns just waiting for a cop to pull them over. I will believe we have learned something when the arrests stop happening.

You are asking 18-22 year old college men to 'learn' how to not do the same dumb stuff that the generations before them did? Good luck!

Mr. Ectomy
AG
Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, in a week or two, no one will remember.

Except, of course, for Ainias, who will be dealing with it for quite a while.
levypantsEOY
Except the track record re: players' extra curricular isn't exactly stellar to date…
TAMUallen
AG
No crimes.

Unless we're now punishing players for speeding tickets then Jimbo should do nothing besides a stern look
MaroonStain
AG
W said:

FightinTexasAggie28 said:

He's 21 years old
so at what age is a person responsible for their actions?

maybe 22 or 23? How about 24 or 25?

There's probably more posters on this board that do 2 or all 3 of these items and well into their 40s.

Weed...who cares?
Gun... it's legal, correct?
DWI...needs to and will be addressed.
oysterbayAG
AG
Jimbo will somehow punish Smith as an object lesson for all the other players to make sure they all understand that they must not " do stupid things " that can damage the team!
Ags77
AG
As I said before, I look for jimbo to remove his captaincy. That might be all the punishment he will get.
Win At Life
AG
BigSneezy said:

woodyhayes said:

Dont care who he is or what he does. Send him packing. I miss the old days.

Because that's worked out so well for us?

Really? Biggest "Username checks out" miss of all time.
JBGoode
AG
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Do we need idiots like this?

No. But we want them.
DSAG
BigSneezy said:

So. I am a teacher. And I want you to know I have watched Jimbos actions with players in tense moments on the field and off the field.

Here's what I can say. He honestly cares more about the players development than he does about winning. I can't tell you how many times other coaches would have changed things but he was insistent on teaching. Growing. Developing.

I expect him to give Smith consequences for sure. But if history is a guide, he will also give the player every opportunity to learn and grow from this mistake.

Because he is a teacher. I see it in our coach. And that's what good teachers do. They don't crucify students. They teach them to do better.

So if Jimbo doesn't act like the judge and jury you would expect, recognize what his goals are and why he does this.

He's in it for growing players. If he can see any other path towards teaching him, that's the path he will choose.
OK if you say so.
beerad12man
AG
Lots of idiot know it alls posting on this thread.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Cops need to stop messing with people.

Defund CSPD and UPD and move their jobs to Houston.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Just remember if this wasn't an Aggie football player, nobody would have heard about it and the fact that the charges were
Dropped mean it effectively didn't warrant any punishment. If there are team rules violated then yes, apply the punishment called for in the rules. Otherwise, a simple discussion and quick mention to the whole team not to do
This is
Sufficient. I'm sure the young man has learned a lesson already. He may be a better man from this experience.
terata
AG
"Do we need idiots like this?"

Guilty until proven innocent. Oh, the self righteousness judgment of the phonies.
JBGoode
AG
terata said:

Guilty until proven innocent. Oh, the self righteousness judgment of the phonies.

Dude, really?

Speeding, check.
Weed, check.
BAC, check.
Firearm, check.

Ahh, but the fine print… Ok, not guilty, right?
terata
AG
"Dude, really?

Speeding, check.
Weed, check.
BAC, check.
Firearm, check.

Ahh, but the fine print… Ok, not guilty, right?'

I read he wasn't driving and that that the weed wasn't his. Oh, yeah another thing Rev. Goode, not everyone attending A&M are monks as you present yourself to be. Since you didn't drink, smoke, dance nor participate in any parties, I guess you are the Righteous Judge, and your judgment comes right quick.
HossAg
AG
From premium:
"Lawyer issued subpoena for video. Ainias first blew a .02 and then .024. They made him blow like ten more times. And its ON the report that he passed the standing on one leg and other field tests."

Also, the weed wasn't his, and the gun wasn't unlawful if the other charges don't stand, which they won't. Just another clown show from the UPD.
greg.w.h
AG
An accusation is not proof. The details are concerning, but things like proper administration of tests and chain of custody matter. The search had to be reasonable for that matter.
UntoldSpirit
AG
HossAg said:

From premium:
"Lawyer issued subpoena for video. Ainias first blew a .02 and then .024. They made him blow like ten more times. And its ON the report that he passed the standing on one leg and other field tests."

Also, the weed wasn't his, and the gun wasn't unlawful if the other charges don't stand, which they won't. Just another clown show from the UPD.
If this report is accurate, then how do we even know he was speeding? If accurate, the UPD cannot be trusted.
BJM1781
AG
HossAg said:

If accurate, the UPD cannot be trusted.

Could they ever be?
TMartin
Mr. Ectomy said:

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, in a week or two, no one will remember.

Except, of course, for Ainias, who will be dealing with it for quite a while.

Well, in a year or two pot will be legal. Dems are already playing with the legislation.
terata
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

I don't know much about religious groups, but Saban is a practicing Catholic, and I think Catholics are big on forgiveness and second chances.
I think that's true of most religions, and certainly most Western religious sects.

This isn't Riyadh, they're not gonna cut off his hand.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.