Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Smith and How Jimbo Will Respond (I hope)

9,851 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
BigSneezy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So. I am a teacher. And I want you to know I have watched Jimbos actions with players in tense moments on the field and off the field.

Here's what I can say. He honestly cares more about the players development than he does about winning. I can't tell you how many times other coaches would have changed things but he was insistent on teaching. Growing. Developing.

I expect him to give Smith consequences for sure. But if history is a guide, he will also give the player every opportunity to learn and grow from this mistake.

Because he is a teacher. I see it in our coach. And that's what good teachers do. They don't crucify students. They teach them to do better.

So if Jimbo doesn't act like the judge and jury you would expect, recognize what his goals are and why he does this.

He's in it for growing players. If he can see any other path towards teaching him, that's the path he will choose.
rootube
AG
Maybe he's grown some but I think in the Jamis Winston situation at FSU he was light on the consequences and heavy on the let's make sure we win this title. In retrospect his decision appears to have worked out professionally and financially.
BigSneezy
rootube said:

Maybe he's grown some but I think in the Jamis Winston situation at FSU he was light on the consequences and heavy on the let's make sure we win this title. In retrospect his decision appears to have worked out professionally and financially.

I've watched him work with QB's. So many times with so many plays. QB does something stupid. Really stupid. For a whole game. Loses game. Goes right back to him the next game. And the next.

I used to think he was a bad coach. Then I realized he's not coaching to win. He's coaching to teach.
To develop. To get kids to see the way.

The players see this desire to teach them and how it is the very most important thing to him and they walk through fire for him.

Long term that builds a program. Honestly loving them more than winning.

Maybe you'll disagree. But I actually think he thinks that way.

And I think this is where his heart will be when dealing with this issue.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
BigSneezy said:

rootube said:

Then I realized he's not coaching to win.
I sure hope you're wrong. This is D-1, SEC West football. Relationships are important. Teaching and growth are important. But winning is more important.
W
AG
this is Smith's 4th year in the program.

how much more "growing" is necessary?
FightinTexasAggie28
He's 21 years old
He’s a Fighting Texas Aggie and he just don’t give a damn
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I expect Jimbo Fisher to show tough love towards Ainias Smith. Jimbo will show Smith the negative consequences making a poor choice but also give him every opportunity to become a good teammate and a law-abiding citizen.
mm42
Jimbo is paid to win. Ainias will maybe miss the SHSU game, that will be it. We went thru the same thing with Michael Clemons last year.
Cojack
This isn't a championship caliber team if the players don't police each other and hold themselves accountable, Jimbo needs to get his locker room in check, too much of this happening in the last two years.
SoTxAg
AG
Jimbo just went through this with Clemons last year. He ended up playing well and getting drafted. Smith will be fine. This literally happens every year in college football.
AWP 97
AG
BigSneezy said:

So. I am a teacher. And I want you to know I have watched Jimbos actions with players in tense moments on the field and off the field.

Here's what I can say. He honestly cares more about the players development than he does about winning. I can't tell you how many times other coaches would have changed things but he was insistent on teaching. Growing. Developing.

I expect him to give Smith consequences for sure. But if history is a guide, he will also give the player every opportunity to learn and grow from this mistake.

Because he is a teacher. I see it in our coach. And that's what good teachers do. They don't crucify students. They teach them to do better.

So if Jimbo doesn't act like the judge and jury you would expect, recognize what his goals are and why he does this.

He's in it for growing players. If he can see any other path towards teaching him, that's the path he will choose.

I agree. I know how we all hate Saban but go check out his quote about Moose's dad when he played under Saban at Michigan State. He gave him a second chance and I'm convinced that this is part of the reason that Moose is at A&M.
Ag Tag
AWP 97 said:

BigSneezy said:

I agree. I know how we all hate Saban but go check out his quote about Moose's dad when he played under Saban at Michigan State. He gave him a second chance and I'm convinced that this is part of the reason that Moose is at A&M.
I don't know much about religious groups, but Saban is a practicing Catholic, and I think Catholics are big on forgiveness and second chances.
W
AG
FightinTexasAggie28 said:

He's 21 years old
so at what age is a person responsible for their actions?

maybe 22 or 23? How about 24 or 25?
BigSneezy
W said:

He's 21 years old

Legally 21. Practically speaking, from a science and brain development perspective, the executive functioning in the brain doesn't fully develop until about 24-26 in males.

Any real teacher knows this. So we know there are legal consequences that must be followed, but we also know that the frontal lobe isn't developed until mid twenties.

This is why college students do stupid and sometimes reckless things. Yes, he should be held to a higher standard. No doubt.

But there's actually significant brain science and real data to indicate that the stance of saying "He is 21 and should be able to do better" is false.

So as a teacher, he is likely juggling both these realities and will make a choice that's good for the player long term.

I know. Facts are hard.
BigSneezy
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

BigSneezy said:

rootube said:

I sure hope you're wrong. This is D-1, SEC West football. Relationships are important. Teaching and growth are important. But winning is more important.

I think you misunderstand me. I think Jimbo believes recruiting is the secret to winning. And I think he also believes that selling "that he cares more about the player than winning" actually in the long run builds a program with enough top level talent to win.

His method towards winning is a development focused one. And there's something noble about that. It should be commended.

And his recent recruiting trajectory bears out this trend. Give the guy a year or two more and we will have a team full of top tier players.

Many say that's where we are now.
BigSneezy
Cojack said:

This isn't a championship caliber team if the players don't police each other and hold themselves accountable, Jimbo needs to get his locker room in check, too much of this happening in the last two years.

This I do agree with.
RoadkillBBQ
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

BigSneezy said:

rootube said:

If that's the case, then **** it. Welcome him back with open arms and no consequences. Embrace the behavior and let's go.
aggiebrad94
AG
W said:

He's 21 years old

Look up Frontal Lobe Development

Always accountable, always understanding. We should never be surprised when young men do dumb things. He will face consequences, but it's not up to us internet perfect parents to determine them.
BigSneezy
aggiebrad94 said:

W said:

He's 21 years old

Look up Frontal Lobe Development

Always accountable, always understanding. We should never be surprised when young men do dumb things. He will face consequences, but it's not up to us internet perfect parents to determine them.

Amen.
dcg4403
AG
Pot is nothing. Dumbass doesnt need a gun tempting his less than developed brain and IQ level. Stupid kids love mixing up weed with loaded guns. That is the issue. He gets a free pass as a player. Unfortunately this isnt unusual behavior.

Far more worried about getting 10 wins this year and landing another top 5 class.

woodyhayes
Dont care who he is or what he does. Send him packing. I miss the old days.
ashley
BigSneezy said:

You must be Jimbo's agent.
BigSneezy
dcg4403 said:

Pot is nothing. Dumbass doesnt need a gun tempting his less than developed brain and IQ level. Stupid kids love mixing up weed with loaded guns. That is the issue. He gets a free pass as a player. Unfortunately this isnt unusual behavior.

Far more worried about getting 10 wins this year and landing another top 5 class.

A couple of things.

1. I agree, there is a locker room issue here.
2. I believe Jimbo will learn from the Clemons situation and will respond in a way that is fair and appropriate.
3. I disagree, I don't think he will get a free pass. He will lose playing time.
4. I agree it isn't unusual, he probably already has a publicly known and communicated consequence that the team already knows. It will be interesting to see what occurs.
5. This will not affect recruiting if it's handled appropriately. As you said, recruits know this is common and they know what the rules are.
GigEmMortis
AG
Kind of a bizarre holier than thou discussion happening in here.

You can have a program that focuses on developing players into men as well as a program that focuses on winning. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Jimbo knows this and will make a decision that gives the best chance for both things to play out.

Will continue to follow this thread so that I can learn more about how the brain develops inside 20-25 year old men
BigSneezy
woodyhayes said:

Because that's worked out so well for us?
BigSneezy
GigEmMortis said:

Kind of a bizarre holier than thou discussion happening in here.

You can have a program that focuses on developing players into men as well as a program that focuses on winning. They don't have to be mutually exclusive. Jimbo knows this and will make a decision that gives the best chance for both things to play out.

Will continue to follow this thread so that I can learn more about how the brain develops inside 20-25 year old men

Dude. Just google it. There's years and years of research on it. Don't take my word for it.
BigSneezy
ashley said:

BigSneezy said:

Nope. Just a teacher who knows what the science says about how to actually make a good decision here.
Canyon99
ashley said:

BigSneezy said:

He is very active on a SEC forum and can be too much most of the time.
BigSneezy
Canyon99 said:

ashley said:

BigSneezy said:

He is very active on a SEC forum and can be too much most of the time.

Yeah. Maybe so. I'll own that.
Alpha Texan
AG
I'm 23 and still learning lots about life. When I look back on how I've grown since I was 21 is kinda crazy in hindsight. At 21, I thought that 3 years of living away from my parents would have covered 90% of what I needed to learn to make it through life. Since then I've learned to better care for and love my wife, serve my neighbors and church, make good major financial decisions, use ratchet straps properly and excel in professional environments.

I knew better than to do something like what Ainias did at that age, but we all start somewhere and can grow into someone else. And at his age, there's still a lot of growing up to do. Outside of this incident brought to the light, He's shown more discipline in training for his dream job and leadership to his football team than I had discipline in studying for my degree and leadership for my peers.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think Jimbo should allow the players to vote on whether Anias should still play or not.
Alpha Texan
AG
woodyhayes said:

There was also a "good old days" when Ainias wouldn't drink from the same water fountain as you. I, like all of us, certainly disappointed my parents sometimes. Sometimes it was by my choice of laziness and sometimes it was on accident. They never told me to get out of their house or ignored me in any way. Instead, they would discipline me and do the opposite of turning me loose: they would keep me closer and be more strict. Most humans don't respond well to being abandoned, but we do respond well to being invested in.

"BuT hE'S aN aDuLt!"

He's going to be treated like an adult in a court of law because he is an adult. But if you think that adults aren't still growing and changing, you wildin'. If most of this forum's kids had done this, the parental response would be to involve themself and still steer their child to not make such stupid decisions, not to cut them out of their life and never talk to them again. Jimbo wants what's best for his players and he creates a genuine relationship with them. We see former players hold Jimbo in high regards a lot, because his relationship to them goes beyond being a coach. If you want to help someone, you don't cut them out of your life, you keep them closer.
OTredux
BigSneezy said:

love how we assume the best intentions in our coaches with these situations and when this happens with another team, we assume the worst.

Our coaches are paid killers (metaphorically speaking). They are paid millions of dollars to win. Of course, they will try to do the best they can, but if you think he wo'nt do all he can to win including giving stars preferential treatment, then you are fooling yourself.

The days of the student (first) athlete (second) are gone.

If Jimbo thinks Smith will help us win, he will approach this situation with that context. No others.

BTW< that makes him exactly like about 130 other FBS coaches.

Don't be delusional.

I am not defending this midnset, but ignoring it or thinking our coach is a "Cut above" is simply delusional.

Naked Hiker
AG
Whats the unlawful weapon charge mean? Serial number filed off? That part never makes sense to me if they're not a convicted felon…
KaneIsAble
AG
I'm no lawyer but he was caught allegedly committing a crime and it is unlawful to possess a weapon while committing any crime.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.