Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Predict the fates of Baylor and Tech

16,707 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bottlehead90
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Predict the fates of Baylor and Tech
Showstopper
AG
You guys are crazy, Pac is still in a better position than new Big 12. Pac still has Oregon and Washington, which have higher ceilings than, I don't know, Okie State and Baylor? And as far as media markets, Pac still has Seattle, Portland, SF/Bay Area, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Denver. Big 12 has, what, Tulsa, Lubbock, and Waco?

Big 12 is still bottom of the barrel even if the other conferences are working hard to get closer to them.
HossAg
AG
Showstopper said:

You guys are crazy, Pac is still in a better position than new Big 12. Pac still has Oregon and Washington, which have higher ceilings than, I don't know, Okie State and Baylor? And as far as media markets, Pac still has Seattle, Portland, SF/Bay Area, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Denver. Big 12 has, what, Tulsa, Lubbock, and Waco?

Big 12 is still bottom of the barrel even if the other conferences are working hard to get closer to them.
Oregon and Washington are not staying. They'll be accepted by the Big 10 too. Big 12 is easily in the driver's seat here.
aggiehawg
AG
rootube said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I'd like to see as many Texas schools to do well as possible.
Why? They treated us like s*** in 2010-2011. (Well, tech not so much but ultimately they did what their overlords in Austin told them to.)

Remember when Baylor was threatening to sue, claiming Waco's entire economy would dry up and get blown away without A&M football games every two years?

And Dodds spouting all of his vitriol about "the sliver" etc.?
hunter2012
AG
aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

I guess I'm in the minority but I'd like to see as many Texas schools to do well as possible.
Why? They treated us like s*** in 2010-2011. (Well, tech not so much but ultimately they did what their overlords in Austin told them to.)

Remember when Baylor was threatening to sue, claiming Waco's entire economy would dry up and get blown away without A&M football games every two years?

Yep, tceh was the most understanding but they fell in line and boycotted us after we left along with the others. The hilarity is that when texas leaves they assured tceh that they would still play them. The sips had a gimp harem in the BDF, OU was just the bottom b*tch.
Showstopper
AG
HossAg said:

Showstopper said:

Oregon and Washington are not staying. They'll be accepted by the Big 10 too. Big 12 is easily in the driver's seat here.
If they lose more, perhaps, but that would still just pull them closer to big 12 depths. They would be on par with team quality but still ahead in media markets. Big 12 has nothing good other than footage of former members.
HossAg
AG
Dude, the PAC 12 is done for. As soon as Oregon and Washington get accepted to the B1G, the Big 12 will take Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado.
aggiehawg
AG
hunter2012 said:

aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

Yep, tceh was the most understanding but they fell in line and boycotted us after we left along with the others. The hilarity is not that texas leaves they assured tceh that they would still play them. The sips had a gimp harem in the BDF, OU was just the bottom b*tch.
Even Kansas boycotted Missouri because Deloss told them to.
rootube
AG
aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

Because I'm from Texas and our state has a rich history of football that goes back forever. I have fond memories of our own traditions many of which are tied to these schools from the SWC days. Also, more of my friends and colleagues are from Texas schools than any other and I enjoy the friendly rivalries. At a more basic level, if there is room for Vandy in big time college Football, there is surely room for Tech, Baylor and TCU.
Showstopper
AG
BTW, when Big Ten left the door open for more expansion, I don't think they were thinking of Oregon and Washington. If they wanted those teams, they could have gotten them with two phone calls yesterday. I think they are thinking ACC teams/Notre Dame.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

At a more basic level if there is room for Vandy in big time college Football there is surely room for Tech, Baylor and TCU.
That decision is way above your paygrade.

Tech, Baylor and TCU have to pull their own weight.
aggiehawg
AG
Showstopper said:

BTW, when Big Ten left the door open for more expansion, I don't think they were thinking of Oregon and Washington. If they wanted those teams, they could have gotten them with two phone calls yesterday. I think they are thinking ACC teams/Notre Dame.
Notre Dame is still contractually obligated to join the ACC in football if they ever join a conference. Getting into tortious interference issues not only with the ACC but between ESPN and Fox.
rootube
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

At a more basic level if there is room for Vandy in big time college Football there is surely room for Tech, Baylor and TCU.

Yea like Vandy is pulling its own weight in the SEC. Baylor and Tech have invested far more in their athletics programs than Vandy, and have far superior results. In some cases matching or exceeding our own despite being on a much smaller budget than us.
HossAg
AG
That's not happening. They'll pay whatever ridiculous fee they have to pay if the ACC doesn't dissolve before that.
Showstopper
AG
aggiehawg said:

Showstopper said:

Notre Dame is still contractually obligated to join the ACC in football if they ever join a conference. Getting into tortious interference issues not only with the ACC but between ESPN and Fox.
yeah and the Big 12 had a Ninety-Nine year agreement with Texas and OU. Really prevented a lot didn't it? ND still has their football rights which is all that really matters.
aggiehawg
AG
rootube said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Yea like Vandy is pulling its own weight in the SEC. Baylor and Tech have invested far more in their athletics programs than Vandy, and have far superior results. In some cases matching or exceeding our own despite being on a much smaller budget than us.
Oh really?

Quote:

University to invest $100 million, with an additional $100 million in donor commitments already secured; funds will support major facilities, operational enhancements

Vanderbilt University today publicly launched the Vandy United Fund, an ambitious fundraising vehicle that will invest $300 million in Vanderbilt's student-athletes and athletics programs through major facilities and operational enhancements.
Quote:

Since the initial quiet phase of the campaign began in the fall, Vanderbilt has already identified $200 million toward the $300 million goal, with a $100 million commitment from the university, $90 million from anonymous donors and a $10 million lead gift from John R. Ingram, a Board of Trust member and longtime supporter of Vanderbilt Athletics. Now Vanderbilt is reaching out to the broader university community to help support the future of Vanderbilt athletics.
Link
Azariah
AG
merch said:

Greed destroys.

*gestures vaguely around at America*

This all used to be open land.
Ugly
AG
Azariah said:

merch said:

Greed destroys.

*gestures vaguely around at America*

This all used to be open land.
And I think the natives would agree with the original statement
hunter2012
AG
aggiehawg said:

hunter2012 said:

aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

Yep, tceh was the most understanding but they fell in line and boycotted us after we left along with the others. The hilarity is not that texas leaves they assured tceh that they would still play them. The sips had a gimp harem in the BDF, OU was just the bottom b*tch.
For all the good it did them, begging for scraps like Oliver Twist and still get left behind. I guess texas got tired of ruling over the trash heap while we were making more money and had increase exposure.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
All they gave to do is stay where they are at. It looks like the XII will survive and the PAC will not.

The XII may end up being a better league that it was.
sincereag
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the ACC now. I would imaging the SEC Commish is on the phone right now with several schools like Clemson, Va Tech, FL St and hopes to beat the Big 10 from getting them.
aggiehawg
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

All they gave to do is stay where they are at. It looks like the XII will survive and the PAC will not.

The XII may end up being a better league that it was.
Quite ironic how that worked out Because of the LHN, Big XII could not have a conference network and all of the riches that would bring for continued survival as a conference.

PAC got a conference network(s) but screwed the pooch in not allowing a media partner to join. Now the LHN is gone and the PAC has lost their most premiere member in USC, further depressing the value of their media rights.

Going back to the Sooners and the sips with tagalongs of Okie Lite and Tech makes financial sense and gets the PAC up to 14 teams with a Central Time Zone presence and new markets.
rootube
AG
aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Oh really?

Quote:

University to invest $100 million, with an additional $100 million in donor commitments already secured; funds will support major facilities, operational enhancements

Vanderbilt University today publicly launched the Vandy United Fund, an ambitious fundraising vehicle that will invest $300 million in Vanderbilt's student-athletes and athletics programs through major facilities and operational enhancements.
Quote:

Since the initial quiet phase of the campaign began in the fall, Vanderbilt has already identified $200 million toward the $300 million goal, with a $100 million commitment from the university, $90 million from anonymous donors and a $10 million lead gift from John R. Ingram, a Board of Trust member and longtime supporter of Vanderbilt Athletics. Now Vanderbilt is reaching out to the broader university community to help support the future of Vanderbilt athletics.
Link

Hahaha! They are trying to invest $100M in athletics and have a goal to invest $300M. Baylor built an entirely new stadium with B12 money meanwhile Vandy is a playing in a stadium that would be second rate in Texas high school circles.

I just checked Baylor's stadium was $266M which means Baylor has probably invested on the order of nearly three times more than Vandy despite taking in a fraction of the cash Vandy sucks out of the SEC. Vandy has "plans" to invest $300M of which they have collected only $100M. Which begs the question… What the hell are they doing with all that SEC cash.
rondis23
AG
I predict Baylor will continue to own texas and ou for the next 3 years. Sarky is no match for Dave Aranda.
GoldenGun00
AG
rootube said:

aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Oh really?

Quote:

Quote:

Link

Hahaha! They are trying to invest $100M in athletics and have a goal to invest $300M. Baylor built an entirely new stadium with B12 money meanwhile Vandy is a playing in a stadium that would be second rate in Texas high school circles.

I just checked Baylor's stadium was $266M which means Baylor has probably invested on the order of nearly three times more than Vandy despite taking in a fraction of the cash Vandy sucks out of the SEC. Vandy has "plans" to invest $300M of which they have collected only $100M. Which begs the question… What the hell are they doing with all that SEC cash.

That information is old, from the initial announcement over a year ago. Even so, you misread it. The university was investing $100 million in athletics out of the general university fund (which is unheard of at VU), and $100 million additional had already been pledged and partially collected. Updated numbers would have them well over $200 million raised though not yet at $300 million.

This is the rare case where I have some personal insight, as I've discussed the campaign with a couple people deeply involved. Vanderbilt will never spend on athletics like TAMU, but under the new chancellor they are willing for pretty much the first time in my lifetime to spend enough to have a respectable program. They're very late to the game on NIL, though, so not sure how that will affect them.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks for the update. I knew there had been newer developments but couldn't find an article.

Good for Vandy.
JBGoode
AG
I won't speak for Tech, but Baylor has a higher regard outside Texas than most Ags would acknowledge or accept. Finebaum had Dave Aranda on his show, and sung his praises.

If the SEC were inclined to pick anymore BDF teams, Baylor would make the final cut. And the sips would support them.

Baylor is one of the "olds" and SEC folk like the "olds". I always knew tu would get invited if they wanted in - the old SEC loves them.

Baylor will be fine, and will be absorbed if this thing morphs into just 2 Bigs. We love to hate on other Texas schools, which I guess is an Ag thing - the whole point of this thread was likely to laugh at Baylor and Tech.

Speaking of Tech, their only saving grace is number of alums in the DFW area. But I don't see that as being enough. They've never won, they're way the heck out in New Mexico, and they just need to hope for a half-decent BDF reformation.
HossAg
AG
Tech makes more money for a conference than Baylor. If it came down to choosing Baylor or Tech, it would be Tech.
JBGoode
AG
HossAg said:

Tech makes more money for a conference than Baylor. If it came down to choosing Baylor or Tech, it would be Tech.

Over the last 10-15 years, I doubt this - although it's hard to dollarize conference proceeds when one of its teams sets up shop in the Top 10.
JWinTX
aggiehawg said:

hunter2012 said:

aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

Kansas boycotted them to keep them away from the KC media market. And it worked. Mizzou dried up very fast and then they got woke and went broke as their alumni stopped giving and dropped enrollment.

Dodds only cared about freezing A&M out. And even that eventually started drying up in sports other than football. And there was not one single Big 12 Texas team worth playing in the last decade, so it was no loss for the Ags.
aggiehawg
AG
JWinTX said:

aggiehawg said:

hunter2012 said:

aggiehawg said:

rootube said:

Kansas boycotted them to keep them away from the KC media market. And it worked. Mizzou dried up very fast and then they got woke and went broke as their alumni stopped giving and dropped enrollment.

Dodds only cared about freezing A&M out. And even that eventually started drying up in sports other than football. And there was not one single Big 12 Texas team worth playing in the last decade, so it was no loss for the Ags.
Never meant to imply that not playing former Big XII conference mates was any hardship for A&M. Exactly the opposite, in fact. We have much better neighbors and partners in the SEC.

My preference would be never to play the sips again and let them stew in their own soup.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Baylor and Texas Tech will stay in the Big 12. I think the Big 12 did was wise to add BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF because these 4 schools are among the best non-Power 5 schools. Adding Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah would make the most sense because it would from a nice conference in the central and mountain time zones.
aggiehawg
AG
HossAg said:

SEC has zero need for another school from Texas. None.

Nor do I see the wisdom in going to 18 teams. Sixteen is already too many and with the loss of divisions, choosing a conference champion is just a complicated crap shoot.
aezmvp
Yeah I would expect 2-6 ACC teams looking to jump to the SEC right now. I mean if you are one of these schools and you're looking at this overall picture I'd be burning up the lines between BMD and figuring out how to make Florida State, Clemson, UNC, Duke, Virginia and VT get in. Some combo there of. (And straight up f USCe and Florida since Texas got in.) Pretty sure that gives you a bunch of new markets, keeps the geography tight, and basically ensures you dominate every market you're in.

I would expect the Big 10 to add Oregon, Washington, Kansas and Notre Dame (probably).

Yeah you could amalgamate a 3rd super conference but it's also rans, even if it would have some big names/programs.
HossAg
AG
aggiehawg said:

HossAg said:

SEC has zero need for another school from Texas. None.

Nor do I see the wisdom in going to 18 teams. Sixteen is already too many and with the loss of divisions, choosing a conference champion is just a complicated crap shoot.
You gotta look at it differently. The SEC and Big 10 are going to become the new NCAA. They won't care if everyone plays everyone every year. They won't care about "conference champions". The new conference championship is gonna be the College Football Playoff with X amount of teams that's built for the participants of those 2 conferences. There could be like 48 teams between the two conferences to make that work. It may even result in a bunch of divisions within those conferences with way more structure than we had before with various conferences of various sizes. The point is, however it ends up, the conferences will be in control of everything. That's their end goal with all this consolidation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.