Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Predict the fates of Baylor and Tech

16,629 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Bottlehead90
Kellso
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tramp96 said:

Kellso said:

HossAg said:

Tech makes more money for a conference than Baylor. If it came down to choosing Baylor or Tech, it would be Tech.
Baylor has the best Athletic Department in the entire Country when it comes to revenue sports.

Texas Tech is kinda mediocre.

Tech has still never won the BIGXII in football.
They were so close to winning the 2019 National Title in Mens basketball, but lost in Overtime. Has to sting that the the next two National Champions were conference mates Baylor and Kansas.

The same year that Tech lost the National Title the Baylor women won the 2019 National Title by only one point.

If Tech had won the National Title, and the Baylor hadn't won National Titles in 2019 and 2021 I would certainly say they would be a superior choice than the Bears.

Tech's biggest problem is that they are located out in the middle of nowhere, while Baylor is located right in the middle of the state close to all of Texas population centers.

And yet, Tech has way, way better fan support than Baylor...in all sports. Tech's football program has been dismal the past 10-14 years, one of the worst stretches ever in its history, and yet we still draw more fans to our games out in Lubbock than Baylor and TCU have in their more populated locations. Why? Because Tech has a fanatical alumni base that those two schools don't have.

Tech sells out a 15,000 seat basketball arena with a first year head coach while Baylor can't sell out their home arena after winning the national championship.

Tech has better NIL funding in the works than Okie St, Baylor, TCU, UH, etc.

Tech bring a lot to the table, moreso than these other programs who have had better success on the gridiron lately than we have had. We also have more than twice the student enrollment of Baylor and three times as much as TCU.

Yeah, Tech is more "isolated" geographically, but we have better attendance and better numbers across the board than most of the rest of the Big XII.
All that tells me is that Texas Tech fans are willing to support mediocrity much more than alums of private schools.

I'm not impressed at all that Tech ( a much larger school than TCU or Baylor) has more fan support.
Attendance smack is for schools that have never won the BIGXII in football or any recent National Titles.

Over the next 10 years I predict the University of Houston to surpass Texas Tech when it comes to football and basketball.
Baylor passed Tech about 10 years ago, and they have not looked back.

The problem with Texas Tech is that they strive to just be pretty good.

Every time Tech has a chance to prove they are big time.....they blow it. Baylor is now big time.
Which is still shocking for me to say.

Their women's basketball program has been talked about by Skip and Shannon on Undisputed....and that was because they were the defending National Champions.

I've never seen Texas Tech featured on First Take, or Undisputed.

Tramp96
You are missing the point. Tech brings viewers and fan support, which is vital right now in all of this realignment craziness.

We will get back on track with football, and our NIL support backs that up. We are top 15/20 consistently in basketball and baseball. We have loyal fan support, far exceeding that of a UH, BU, or TCU.

I'm other words, we bring value to a conference short and long term. None of those three schools can say the same thing. When they have down years they have pathetic fan numbers. They only have mediocre numbers during their good years.

That matters in conference attractiveness.
DeSantis 2024
ashley
BenFiasco14 said:

I feel like they're both gonna get hosed and left in the cold. And I can't wait for it.

What happens to them? Relegated to a G5 level conference and forever irrelevant?

That's a short sided view.
Kellso
Tramp96 said:

You are missing the point. Tech brings viewers and fan support, which is vital right now in all of this realignment craziness.

We will get back on track with football, and our NIL support backs that up. We are top 15/20 consistently in basketball and baseball. We have loyal fan support, far exceeding that of a UH, BU, or TCU.

I'm other words, we bring value to a conference short and long term. None of those three schools can say the same thing. When they have down years they have pathetic fan numbers. They only have mediocre numbers during their good years.

That matters in conference attractiveness.
Texas Tech brings no value to a conference. They are the classic definition of a school that leaches off of the big boys.

The school is located out in the middle of nowhere, and this is why the Red Raiders never win big. They are only pretty good at best. When you have to resort to bragging about attendance....it means your trophy case is kind of light.

Texas Tech has never beaten Texas and OU in the same season. TCU and Baylor have done it multiple times.
TCU and Baylor have each won the BIGXII in football. Tech has still never done it.

TCU, Baylor and Houston are all located in much better locations to succeed in big time college athletics.

Houston was more successful in the SWC than Tech was.....and now that the Cougars and Red Raiders are on the same level, I expect Houston to also surpass Texas Tech.

I'm not sure if Texas Tech has ever finished in first place outright.

Major Conference Titles since 1970:

Texas Tech: 1976, 1994

Houston: 1976, 1978, 79, 84

TCU: 1994, 2014

Baylor: 1974, 1980, 1994, 2013, 2014, 2021

ashley
Sterling82 said:

I hope they find a way to flourish. Why should I wish to see fewer opportunities for high school athletes to compete at a high level in college?

I totally agree.
Bottlehead90
AG
Does baylor get credit for conference championships during the rape and roids years of briles?

Kellso
Bottlehead90 said:

Does baylor get credit for conference championships during the rape and roids years of briles?

List of BIGXII Titles:
Oklahoma: 14 (too many to list)
Baylor: 3 (2013, 2014, 2021)
Texas: 3 (1996, 2006, 2009)
Nebraska: 2 (1997, 1999)
Kansas St: 2 (2003, 2012)
Colorado: 1 (2001)
Oklahoma St: 1 (2011)
Texas A&M: 1 (1998)
TCU: 1 (2014)
Iowa St: 0
Kansas: 0
West Virginia: 0
Missouri: 0
Texas Tech: 0
Bottlehead90
AG
Now rank the teams by the number of felonies they attempted to cover up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.