Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

USC and UCLA to Big Ten

22,533 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiehawg
BillYeoman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Panama Red said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Panama Red said:

Love that people who have no clue about the situation, what information has been reviewed etc. can believe they know more about the situation than these school do and say its a dumb idea to move or for the Big 10 to take the schools.

I'll grant you that no one on here knows anything but the so-called source for this report may be a hoax as well. What passes for journalism these days is laughable. This could be a trial balloon or it could be someone trying to engineer something that's in their interest, rather than the conference's or schools'.

I'd say it was a solid source.

Earlier than the horns and Sooners.
bryanw1995
AG
4 said:

The SEC will move to pick up Florida State, Clemson, NC, Miami, and maybe Va Tech.

I'd bet on it. Super conferences will be here soon.
Clemson
UNC

maybe if we wanted 2 more we'd take UVA and Miami. Fl State has a lot more in common with USF than with UF these days, we don't need or want them.
barbacoa taco
AG
While this doesn't affect me one bit, I hate this for the sport. It's just stupid. I dont care if they'll make bank from this move, it still sucks.
barbacoa taco
AG
You should not ever travel 3 time zones for a conference game.
BillYeoman
larry culpepper said:

While this doesn't affect me one bit, I hate this for the sport. It's just stupid. I dont care if they'll make bank from this move, it still sucks.

This. Maybe the USFL chimes in and creates a minor league football system. College football is going that route.
Panama Red
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

No way the power brokers and politicians in Cali. let this happen. USC maybe as they are private with their own $$ and can do whatever they want really, but no way UCLA is able to do it.

It would be a stupid move anyway, and even if there are many benefits for UCLA and USC, I can't see any benefit to the B1G teams by adding these two.

Think there is a minimal chance for this to happen. .

Well done Nostradamus.

bryanw1995
AG
JBGoode said:

TXAG 05 said:

Why would tech leave? The new Big12 will be way better than a PAC without USC and UCLA.

It pains me to say, you make a good point.

LOL at Oregon. Never liked Nike U.
Phil Knight is worth $41b. Oregon will land on their feet.
bryanw1995
AG
. . . said:

az, az st, colorada and utah aren't going to move the needle enough for the b1g. Those schools are more like to jump the BDF than join a real conference.
wbt5845
AG
That's literally what he tweeted.
bryanw1995
AG
SgtBarbarossa said:

If the B1G were snag OU/tu from the SEC, the SEC would need to keep pace in the arms race. Only ones that would make sense would be Clemson / Va Tech / FSU / Miami, etc and would blow up the ACC.

The PAC, B12, and ACC losing all of their big names would make the league so top heavy that the B1G and SEC may as well make their own league. Give it north and south divisions, AFC/NFC style, and balloon to 32 teams each while picking the scraps of the other conferences.

tech/uh/baylor can puff their chests out as rotating FCS champions.
B1G already nixed this deal b/c they didn't want OU. Seems unlikely that they would change their tune now.
bryanw1995
AG
wbt5845 said:

That's literally what he tweeted.
Oof, I misread that, thought he said B1G was looking at the others.
Dallasag517
AG
if anyone has the time i'd love to read freedom of information act derived emails between kliakoff and kevin warren over the last 48 hours or so.
Ol Mase
AG
Hear me out. What if everyone just joins the SEC, and then we rename it the National Collegiate Athletic Association and divide it into conferences?
91AggieLawyer
AG
In case you missed the Wiki entry for the Big 10:

Quote:

West Coast expansion
On June 30, 2022, UCLA and USC announced that they will be joining the Big Ten Conference effective August 2, 2024, enabling both schools to remain in the Pac 12 for the duration of the Pac-12's existing media rights agreements.

Lincoln Riley is expected to renounce his HC position and seek a smaller conference to compete against.

BMX Bandit
This is all temporary IMO.

These big schools are going to form a new level of football within 10 years and lots of schools are going to be left out.

UCLA & USC looking to the future. Teams like Missouri, Kentucky, Indians, Maryland etc should be concerned.
BMX Bandit
in a bit of an odd scheduling quirk, LSU is scheduled to play USC and UCLA in 2024. wonder if those will go forward?
Jarrin' Jay
AG
This is just crazy how this happened. Reading the tea leaves this did not happen quickly. No reason for me to be following USC/UCLA/PAC12 news but I guess they had both been stalling on extending grant of rights for a while, so that does all make sense and fall in line then.

The amazing thing is both with cow/OU to SEC and USC/UCLA to B1G that both were kept very secret and quiet until it was 99.99% done and then officially announced quickly after it broke.

Football drives the $$ so football drives the decisions, and this is fine for football, but it is completely unworkable for all the other sports. All the other sports teams are getting screwed so the program can make more $$ from football.

I'm sure the UCLA baseball team is looking forward to March road trips to the midwest..... How is it workable for the UCLA basketball team (a very good program) to have a road game at Ohio State on Saturday, back home for a midweek game vs. Illinois on Tuesday or Wednesday, then followed by a road game at Michigan State the next Saturday....... that is just stupid.

What a monumental shift and kinda funny that they will start B1G play before cow and OU start SEC play.
Showstopper
AG
bryanw1995 said:

SgtBarbarossa said:

If the B1G were snag OU/tu from the SEC, the SEC would need to keep pace in the arms race. Only ones that would make sense would be Clemson / Va Tech / FSU / Miami, etc and would blow up the ACC.

The PAC, B12, and ACC losing all of their big names would make the league so top heavy that the B1G and SEC may as well make their own league. Give it north and south divisions, AFC/NFC style, and balloon to 32 teams each while picking the scraps of the other conferences.

tech/uh/baylor can puff their chests out as rotating FCS champions.
B1G already nixed this deal b/c they didn't want OU. Seems unlikely that they would change their tune now.
The only people proclaiming that the Big Ten rejected OU with Texas were the same guys on here declaring that the SEC wouldn't be interested in Texas. I don't trust the fake "insider" posters on here anymore. If you do, that's cool, enjoy having Steve Spurrier be our new Offensive Coordinator under Sumlin any day now.
20ag07
Quote:

The amazing thing is both with cow/OU to SEC and USC/UCLA to B1G that both were kept very secret and quiet until it was 99.99% done and then officially announced quickly after it broke.
Our move to the SEC, which Liucci leaked, and then the ridiculous several months that followed, impacted the speed of the Texas/OU thing.

The leaking that Brent did on the Texas/OU which made for a ridiculous couple of weeks, drove the USC/UCLA thing to be quiet and wrapped up in less than 48 hours.

Quote:

What a monumental shift and kinda funny that they will start B1G play before cow and OU start SEC play.
But if this gave you a laugh, just wait. That won't come true. Because again everybody learned to be quiet til it's done.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
The Big 12 has already stated emphatically that cow and OU will be in the Big 12 through 6/30/2025. The Big 12 controls if/when cow and OU leave. They will not be in the SEC until 2025 unless the Big 12 changes their mind and lets them out early. There is 0.01% chance of that happening. The Big 12 will already get about $72 mill. from each school to leave on 6/30/2025. For cow or OU to leave early the Big 12 would demand a payment in excess of the exit penalty fee, likely 2x or 3x and something neither can afford.

I'm sure there is an ongoing push by the schools to have a conversation what that amount would be for the Big 12 to let cow and OU leave early, but the only thing the Big 12 is focused on right now is scheduling when the new teams join in.

Everything is negotiable for $$ and I can see the Big 12 wanting to let cow and OU leave early when the new teams join so they only have to deal with the divisions and scheduling format once, but the price is going to be very steep, the $ amount and the timing dictated by the Big 12. My best guess is the Big 12 will let them out on 6/30/2024 at the earliest.
Panama Red
AG
Quote:

No way the power brokers and politicians in Cali. let this happen.
No offense, but you aren't the best at predicting these kinds of things.
20ag07
Quote:

The Big 12 has already stated emphatically that cow and OU will be in the Big 12 through 6/30/2025. The Big 12 controls if/when cow and OU leave.
Just watch.

The Big12 can state emphatically whatever they want, and will because that's in their best interest.

Everything that happened this week sped up a timeline, that already was full of crap.

Just watch- and own it when you're wrong.
HossAg
AG
p8aggie said:

I wonder if tu and ou could change direction and fill the void in the PAC and be the big dogs. Maybe take tech and okie state with them.
The PAC is already dead. It's not about being the big dogs, it's about making a **** ton of money and preserving your program's longevity. Moving to the PAC would only delay the inevitable for them which is ending up in the SEC or Big 10. There will only be 2 relevant conferences running the show 10 years from now.
rootube
AG
This is all fake news. There was an alliance formed with a gentleman's agreement not to allow poaching of teams between conferences.
aggiehawg
AG
Sorry if already asked and answered but doesn't the B1G still have the buy-in requirement? They made Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland pay it.

How much is it up to now?
aggiehawg
AG
aggiehawg said:

Sorry if already asked and answered but doesn't the B1G still have the buy-in requirement? They made Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland pay it.

Anybody know?
McInnis80
aggiehawg said:

They can just throw in their share of the Pac 12 Network. That should cover it.
aggiehawg
AG
McInnis80 said:

aggiehawg said:

They can just throw in their share of the Pac 12 Network. That should cover it.
I assume that is a joke?
aggiehawg
AG
Jarrin' Jay
AG
There's nothing for me to own. Everything I stated is factually and legally correct.

Maybe you don't understand, it's not just that the Big 12 has stated t.u. and OU will be in the Big 12 until 6/30/2025 (as well both school have stated the same), they are contractually and legally obligated to do so, and there is NO amount of $$ that cow and OU can pay to legally and contractually get out of it per the Big 12 bylaws. Furthermore, so long as that is the case cow and OU could not join the SEC, compete in the SEC, be shown on TV playing an SEC conference game, etc., etc.

The USC/UCLA move is exactly like cow and OU to the SEC, note they are not joining until 2024 when their grants of rights legally and contractually expires. Same thing with t.u. and OU, theirs expires in 2025, they have to pay the ~ $72 mill. each to leave anyway even if they stay through the contract term, 100% up to the Big 12 if they want to let them out early and at what price.

As I said, everything is negotiable, and there may be some amount of $$$ the Big 12 would accept to change their stance. But that $ amount is in the hundred of millions of $$ for each school, and neither cow or OU can afford it right now for what the Big 12 would agree to let them out 2 or 3 seasons early.

My personal opinion and belief is the Big 12 will maintain their stance as they have zero incentive not to, but after 2023 they may be open to negotiation to get an extra $100 million 12 months early and let cow and OU walk then and start in the SEC in 2024. It does not matter what t.u. and OU want, the Big 12 will decide if they want some extra $$ early, or not.
Faustus
aggiehawg said:

I don't know how much it is now, but the Big Ten gave Maryland a $20-30 million subsidy to offset travel costs as part of their lure to poach the school.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/bs-sp-terps-big-ten-travel-0315-20130314-story.html

Quote:

The University of Maryland's deal to join the Big Ten includes not only the lucrative annual payouts that all members receive, but also a significant concession obtained by the school a subsidy worth tens of millions of dollars from the conference to offset athletic teams' anticipated higher travel costs, according to multiple sources.

The subsidy, which Maryland was promised in negotiations with the conference late last year, made an already appealing offer of Big Ten membership even more attractive to the school.

Since financial details of the agreement are kept private the amount of the subsidy is not publicly available. But the amount is in the range of $20 million to $30 million, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Maryland got the subsidy after assessing the travel-cost implications of leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference, its home for 60 years.
. . .
USC and UCLA stand to more than double their conference distribution by jumping ship. I imagine they'll take a reduced distribution for a number of years as part of the deal (like Maryland, Rutgers, etc. did), but I bet the parties make sure it's still more than the California schools would be making in the Pac-12.

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/30/1109233101/the-big-ten-approves-adding-2-iconic-california-brands-ucla-and-usc

Quote:

. . .
Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren said USC and UCLA, both members of the Pac-12 and its previous iterations for nearly a century, submitted applications for membership and the league's Council of Presidents and Chancellors voted unanimously to add the Los Angeles schools.
. . .
USC and UCLA stand to significantly increase their revenues. The Pac-12 distributed only $19.8 million per school in fiscal year 2021, by far the least among Power 5 conferences. The Big Ten's per-school distribution was $46.1 million, second only to the SEC's $54.6 million.
. . .
Showstopper
AG
Nah, bro, Jarrin' Jay has done the analysis, and not only will the California movers and shakers prevent this from ever happening, but also the Big Ten isn't even interested in USC and UCLA. Nothing to see here, USC and UCLA aren't leaving, Jarrin Jay has the whole deal figured out.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Big 10 is probably not done they seem to be targeting Notre Dame now...
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Showstopper said:

Nah, bro, Jarrin' Jay has done the analysis, and not only will the California movers and shakers prevent this from ever happening, but also the Big Ten isn't even interested in USC and UCLA. Nothing to see here, USC and UCLA aren't leaving, Jarrin Jay has the whole deal figured out.

I wasn't aware of nor do I care about USC/UCLA and their grant of rights and contracts with the PAC12, so yes I whiffed on that for sure. Was not aware USC and UCLA were only tied to the PAC through 2023.

As for cow and OU, I have read the Big 12 Bylaws and also know an attorney who has met with Bowlsby on this repeatedly. Things could change with the new commish, but the commish does the bidding of the members, and the other Big 12 members were resolute and all agreed on the 2025 timeline. Just my informed opinion that cow and OU won't be in the SEC until 2025, maybe 2024 if the Big 12 wants to bank some extra $.

Then again, if all the spares in the Big 12 break ranks, BYU looks to reneg on their move and go PAC, Kansas look to join a basketball conference mid-major, tech panics and courts the PAC, etc., etc. it all goes to pot and who knows what then.
W
AG
but those travel costs...yowza.

the subsidies help the athletic departments...

but the player -- especially in a minor sport -- the amount of time he or she will spend in an airplane or at the airport is astounding

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.