Story Poster
Photo by Bethany Baker/The Coloradoan, Fort Collins Colorad
Texas A&M Football

A&M to hire former Colorado State head coach Steve Addazio as OL coach

January 21, 2022

The Maroon Goons have a new coach.

Jimbo Fisher is set to hire Steve Addazio to become Texas A&M’s new offensive line coach following Josh Henson’s departure to USC. TexAgs’ executive editor Billy Liucci was first to report that Addazio is headed to Aggieland.

A veteran of over 25 years in college football, Addazio was most recently at Colorado State, serving as the head coach of the Rams for the last two seasons. In December, Addazio was fired after compiling a 4-12 record. He was previously the head coach at Temple (2011-12) and Boston College (2013-19).

Addazio began his coaching career in 1988 as the head coach at Cheshire High School in Connecticut, where he won three state championships. He then made the jump to the collegiate level, coaching tight ends and offensive line at Syracuse for four seasons (1995-98) before leaving to coach tight ends, tackles and special teams for Notre Dame from 1999-2001.

In 2002, Addazio joined Gerry DiNardo’s staff at Indiana as the Hoosier’s offensive line coach. In 2004, he assumed the offensive coordinator role in addition to his offensive line duties in Bloomington during DiNardo’s final season in Bloomington.

Following DiNardo’s ouster at Indiana, Urban Meyer hired Addazio to coach tight ends and tackles in 2005. Two season’s later, Addazio was made associate head coach and offensive line coach of the Gators, and in 2009, he replaced Dan Mullen as offensive coordinator in Gainesville.

In Addazio’s first season as an offensive coordinator, Florida finished 13-1 with an SEC Eastern Division title and a Sugar Bowl Championship. The Gators’ only blemish was an SEC Championship Game loss to eventual-national-champion Alabama. That season, Florida ranked sixth in scoring offense (457.9) and 10th nationally in scoring offense (35.9) with a unit led by Tim Tebow.

After Meyer resigned from Florida in 2010, Addazio became the head coach at Temple. In his first year, the Owls were 9-4 and won the New Mexico Bowl as members of the MAC, but they regressed to 4-7 the following season when Temple joined the Big East.

Addazio became the head coach at Boston College on Dec. 4, 2012, a position he held until 2019. Taking over a team that was 2-10 the year before, Addazio guided the Eagles to a 7-6 record and the program’s first bowl appearance since 2010. The 2013 offense was led by running back Andre Williams, who rushed for 2,177 yards and won the Doak Walker Award. Despite an impressive first season at BC, 7-6 would be a high-water mark for the program under Addazio as the Eagles won seven games in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Addazio was fired at a 6-6 season in 2019 and finished his BC tenure 44-44.

Colorado State hired Addazio to replace Mike Bobo prior to the 2020 season, which was shortened by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Rams played just four games of their eight-game schedule and finished 1-3. Addazio was fired following a 3-9 campaign in 2021.

Addazio will have no shortage of talent to work with along the offensive front as Texas A&M has signed several elite linemen in recent recruiting classes.

Discussion from...

A&M to hire former Colorado State head coach Steve Addazio as OL coach

25,058 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ironmanag
TopoTacos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure he's a fine human being.

Just heard through the grapevine from some connections when he was OL coach at Indiana that give the sense that he didn't exactly win over his position group. Coupled with seeing him in press conferences he's just not inspiring a ton of excitement as a hire for me personally.

Again, let me be clear, I'm sure he's fine, plenty of CSU players were sad to see him go, and ultimately Jimbo has earned the clout to make whatever calls he wants.
ironmanag
AG
My biggest reservation is his age and the fact that the last 5 years have been his worst as a professional.

This needs to be a homerun.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
ghowe
AG
Your conclusion from these two videos is the guy is crazy and can't coach...
SinKiller
ironmanag said:

My biggest reservation is his age and the fact that the last 5 years have been his worst as a professional.

Do you know any 60 year olds? Does the guy come off as infirm to you?
ironmanag
AG
SinKiller said:

ironmanag said:

Do you know any 60 year olds? Does the guy come off as infirm to you?
I know several 60 year olds.

No he is not infirm. I do question his motivation and his drive. His last 5 years have been rocky to say the least.

Most 62 year olds are looking at retirement homes in Boca.

I really do hope he is all Jimbo wants him to be, but if you don't question this then you are going on blind faith.

Plus he is already being negative recruited against for what happened at CSU.

The dude comes with baggage that other top OL coaches did not. Jimbo needs him to hit right now to counter all of that.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.