Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada enters the transfer portal

December 13, 2021

Quarterback Zach Calzada has entered the transfer portal and will not play in Texas A&M’s Gator Bowl clash with Wake Forest.

There has been no indication as to which program Calzada intends to transfer.

Calzada’s decision likely means walk-on freshman Blake Bost will start in the Gator Bowl. Bost has completed 2-of-7 passes for 18 yards.

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher recently said former starter Haynes King, who missed most of the season with a broken leg, is not likely to play in the Gator Bowl.

The transfer will conclude an inconsistent year for the third-year sophomore from Sugar Hill, Ga.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Bost is expected to start the Gator Bowl.

Calzada passed for 2,185 yards and 17 touchdowns but threw nine interceptions while completing 56.1 percent of his passing attempts.

He may be remembered most by Aggies for an amazing performance in a 41-38 victory over Alabama. He completed 21-of-31 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns.

In the last five minutes, he directed the Aggies on scoring drives for a touchdown and a walk-off field goal.

However, that was a high point in an otherwise mediocre season.

Calzada was originally beaten out for the starting quarterback competition by King in August camp. However, King was injured in the second game of the season against Colorado.

That forced Calzada into the lineup. He struggled most of that game but managed to lead the Aggies to a 10-7 victory when he lofted a touchdown pass to Isaiah Spiller with just over two minutes remaining.

He later struggled in losses to Arkansas and Mississippi State and threw two fourth-quarter interceptions — including a pick-six — in a 29-19 loss to Ole Miss.

Calzada’s decision to transfer rekindles memories of the 2015 season when quarterbacks Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen both announced plans to transfer in early December. That resulted in Jake Hubenak starting a 27-21 loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl. Hubenak passed for 307 yards and two touchdowns in that loss.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada enters the transfer portal

84,748 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chester
Southlake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
10 am Bowl Game?
AG81
AG
Oh come on Olin, this doesn't REMOTELY resemble the Murray/Allen situation and to try to draw a comparison is intellectually dishonest.
AG81
AG
W said:

is it time to apologize to Sumlin for all the grief he took in 2015?

No. The situations are not comparable. At all.
AG81
AG
First, shame on Olin for failing to mention that Zach's shoulder surgery meant he wouldn't play in the Gator Bowl anyway and for trying to draw comparisons to Sumlin's utterly inept handling of the Murray/Allen situation. Second, just stunning that so many are placing blame on fans or social media. If a D1 QB can't handle mean tweets, he's not going to be able to handle D1 offensive schemes and D1 defensive pressure. Calzada proved he was capable of handling pressure from both. Lastly, how about everyone join the crowd that simply say, "Thank you for all you have done for A&M and we wish you the best of luck in the future". At the risk of riling the Zoo, so many of you are just idiots.
SD1971
AG
Bost
dcAg
They don't make QBs tougher than Calzada.
jonb02
AG
TxAg76 said:

TyperWoods said:

AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when bad fans use social media to attack 20 year olds. Good luck to him and I hope the jack***es learn a lesson here.

Agree

Oh hell no.
The bigger the stage, the more heat he should EXPECT.
If any kind of social media reactions, good or bad, played into his decision, that doesn't bode well for him and his decision making.
FTW. If mean tweets is all it took then good riddance to him. It's a dog eat dog world.
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” - John Adams

“It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled” - Mark Twain
jonb02
AG
Canvasback said:

For all those that mercilessly trashed this young man, I hope you are proud of yourselves!
You're right, we should have kissed his ass every step of the way! It was probably your generation that thought of trophies for everyone and no second place finishes.
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” - John Adams

“It is easier to fool someone than it is to convince them they’ve been fooled” - Mark Twain
Z Team
AG
When a player is playing through injuries and giving everything he has sometimes a lack of loyalty to your own reduces their love for their school and fans. Makes them think about transferring rather than make further sacrifices for their school that is full of ungrateful idiots.
Romello
Does he get to take the medical tent with him?
NowhereMan
Good Luck ZC you have an NFL arm
John T. Hubert
AG
Yep. AGs stick together. He did his best for us. I will always like the guy.
RV Squat 85
AG
Zach,
Thank you for all that you gave to Aggie Football. I will always remember you for slaying the Crimson Tide at Kyle Field. Good luck to you wherever you end up.
John T. Hubert
AG
Yep. There is always a few.
timreed4
Let Bost wear number 12 for the bowl game.
Bluehat
Good luck Zack do what's best for your future and thanks for your time here at Aggie land.
crghaddock
AG
It is my understanding that he had surgery and could not have played in the bowl game anyway. Best of luck to this young man who showed toughness through adversity.
TyperWoods
jonb02 said:

TxAg76 said:

TyperWoods said:

AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when bad fans use social media to attack 20 year olds. Good luck to him and I hope the jack***es learn a lesson here.

Agree

Oh hell no.
The bigger the stage, the more heat he should EXPECT.
If any kind of social media reactions, good or bad, played into his decision, that doesn't bode well for him and his decision making.
FTW. If mean tweets is all it took then good riddance to him. It's a dog eat dog world.

SMD

Tweets are not what fueled his decision. Stop putting up strawman arguments to cover for your own failures as a human being and an Aggie.
Houstonag
AG
Disgusting that Calzada felt like he needed to leave. Stupid and dumb social media fans who know very little about football likely is the source of his decision. Also disturbing that the coaches could not bolster him during the criticism. There were too many miscues by other players like dropped passes, penalties, missed assignments that effected the games.

Knowing that he had limitations the team as a whole needed to perform better. Defense on critical downs was to me the main source of our losses. Good luck Calzada.
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Mas89 said:

Quit kicking a dead horse. Thanks Zach and bye.

Who will be QB in the Gator Bowl?

I think we'll see King start.
Cojack
It's going to be Bost
Bottlehead90
AG
crghaddock said:

It is my understanding that he had surgery and could not have played in the bowl game anyway. Best of luck to this young man who showed toughness through adversity.

Jimbo said yesterday that he had not had surgery.
Not sure of his reason for leaving but I appreciate the grit and effort he showed this year.
Chester
SociallyConditionedAg said:

Mas89 said:

Quit kicking a dead horse. Thanks Zach and bye.

Who will be QB in the Gator Bowl?

I think we'll see King start.
Nope!
Chester

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.