Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada enters the transfer portal

December 13, 2021

Quarterback Zach Calzada has entered the transfer portal and will not play in Texas A&M’s Gator Bowl clash with Wake Forest.

There has been no indication as to which program Calzada intends to transfer.

Calzada’s decision likely means walk-on freshman Blake Bost will start in the Gator Bowl. Bost has completed 2-of-7 passes for 18 yards.

Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher recently said former starter Haynes King, who missed most of the season with a broken leg, is not likely to play in the Gator Bowl.

The transfer will conclude an inconsistent year for the third-year sophomore from Sugar Hill, Ga.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Bost is expected to start the Gator Bowl.

Calzada passed for 2,185 yards and 17 touchdowns but threw nine interceptions while completing 56.1 percent of his passing attempts.

He may be remembered most by Aggies for an amazing performance in a 41-38 victory over Alabama. He completed 21-of-31 passes for 285 yards and three touchdowns.

In the last five minutes, he directed the Aggies on scoring drives for a touchdown and a walk-off field goal.

However, that was a high point in an otherwise mediocre season.

Calzada was originally beaten out for the starting quarterback competition by King in August camp. However, King was injured in the second game of the season against Colorado.

That forced Calzada into the lineup. He struggled most of that game but managed to lead the Aggies to a 10-7 victory when he lofted a touchdown pass to Isaiah Spiller with just over two minutes remaining.

He later struggled in losses to Arkansas and Mississippi State and threw two fourth-quarter interceptions — including a pick-six — in a 29-19 loss to Ole Miss.

Calzada’s decision to transfer rekindles memories of the 2015 season when quarterbacks Kyler Murray and Kyle Allen both announced plans to transfer in early December. That resulted in Jake Hubenak starting a 27-21 loss to Louisville in the Music City Bowl. Hubenak passed for 307 yards and two touchdowns in that loss.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M quarterback Zach Calzada enters the transfer portal

84,754 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Chester
Cojack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He will probably win the Heisman next year, this sucks. We needed him to push competition for next year, I'm not convinced in Haynes durability.
Jimbo4win
AG
Now he can transfer to any number of schools where ALL of the fans are kind and supportive no matter what happens….OU, UCLA, USC, Bama, Florida, Clemson, Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Colorado, Oregon, Arkansas, Tech, LSU, and on and on and on and on…There are way too many Aggie fans that are mean spirited. Fortunately, there is kindness and acceptance at other programs..

GigEmTx
Jarrin' Jay said:

I don't mind it but the timing is a killer and erases any goodwill for his Ws over Bama and Auburn and toughness.

Can't wait 18 days and play one more game?!?!?

Unless King is 1000% don't play him in the bowl game. It'll be what it'll be, likely an L but so be it.
Dude, he had shoulder surgery and would never be able to play in the bowl game anyway. He's a great competitor and one tough mother.

I really wish him well at his next school. Gig 'em, Zach!
AggieDub14
AG
TxAg76 said:

TyperWoods said:

AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when bad fans use social media to attack 20 year olds. Good luck to him and I hope the jack***es learn a lesson here.

Agree

Oh hell no.
The bigger the stage, the more heat he should EXPECT.
If any kind of social media reactions, good or bad, played into his decision, that doesn't bode well for him and his decision making.

A lot different when you're getting paid NFL $
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Was not aware of that but still don't think he should transfer.
Patentmike
AG
Duke looking for a QB?

Not a knock on anyone. Could be a win/win/win under the circumstances.
W
AG
is it time to apologize to Sumlin for all the grief he took in 2015?
MaroonStain
AG
Sterling82 said:

I would hope this decision wasn't based on mean tweets from a few idiot fans (assuming they were even fans). What reeks though, is abandoning teammates that supported him when he was struggling. I guess he wants to find a place where he can go through spring practice but this type thing is the worst of college football.

Mean tweets are the downfall of this country.
TxAggie23
See your point but disagree. He sees that next year at A&M, best case scenario he is QB3. He got a lot of press this year as the starter and figures he can have a shot at a decent program as a starter next year. And let's be realistic, do we really think that fans at Alabama, Georgia, ole miss, LSU or any other top tier sec school wouldve been any easier on Calzada? He's not leaving because of the fans. He gave a lot for the program and has potential. The fan base was hard on him. But at the end of the day, he's not what we're looking for and he knows that.
aeon-ag
AggieDub14 said:

This is what happens when bad fans use social media to attack 20 year olds. Good luck to him and I hope the jack***es learn a lesson here.
When arm chair coaches post something like this, most knowing nothing about and have never played one down of football in front of thousand of fans, hell, I'd leave also. Way to go arm chairs, now we face an oppponent that has a chance of beating us. I hope the hell you idiots are happy. Calzada played his heart out and you fools acted like he didn't care whether he won or not. I hope he goes to a team where he can be a #1 deaft choice!
LIAggie42
Zach had shoulder surgery after the LSU game. Wasn't playing in the bowl game regardless.
Aginnebraska
AG
AggieDub14 said:

While its possible this is the case, I don't accept this paradigm.

Somewhere recently I heard there are roughly a half million living Aggies grads today. What that means is that roughly 499,000 were not blasting or shaming him on twitter or other social media. Someone needs to help him find some perspective here. While there might be plenty of people swearing or cursing under their breath in their living rooms, the vast majority were not publicly critical of him. We accepted the inconsistency as mistakes of a young athlete who was learning 'on the job'.

Someone needs to counsel him about this fact, there won't be any lesser expectations or critiques of him at any D1 program with Top 20 aspirations. Accept those complaints as a vocal minority and trust your coach and teammates. Leaving your team before their season is bad form. There is one game left this season Zach. One game.

If he's healthy, he should play. If he's hampered by injury or surgery, then Godspeed Zach. Thank you for putting it on the line. I sure wish you could stay as a team member and Aggie.
SD1971
AG
Where does it say that he has to read social media? Nothing says you have to look at a train wreck when it happens. If he can't hack it here then he won't hack it anywhere else. I wish him all the best because he just joined the quitters.
SD1971
AG
Every opponent has a chance of beating us. Can you please show me where a win is guaranteed? If that is the case then I want a W for the Arkansas and Mississippi State game!
Aginnebraska
AG
SD1971 said:

Where does it say that he has to read social media? Nothing says you have to look at a train wreck when it happens. If he can't hack it here then he won't hack it anywhere else. I wish him all the best because he just joined the quitters.
There won't be any fewer critics at any other winning D1 program. Thin skin won't help him in the future.
SD1971
AG
Good point. We should be used to this. It only took Kellen Mond 4 years to break all of Manzeil's records.
TxFig
AG
AggieDub14 said:

If players allow social media posts by fans to affect their on-field performance, then perhaps they aren't ready to play in big-time programs. What happens between a players ears is just as important as what they have in their arm.
Mas89
AG
Quit kicking a dead horse. Thanks Zach and bye.

Who will be QB in the Gator Bowl?
TxFig
AG
Mas89 said:

Quit kicking a dead horse. Thanks Zach and bye.

Who will be QB in the Gator Bowl?

Personally, I'm hoping we get a huge dose of Ainias Smith play QB.
74OA
AG
Aginnebraska said:

AggieDub14 said:

Somewhere recently I heard there are roughly a half million living Aggies grads today. What that means is that roughly 499,000 were not blasting or shaming him on twitter or other social media. Someone needs to help him find some perspective here. While there might be plenty of people swearing or cursing under their breath in their living rooms, the vast majority were not publicly critical of him. We accepted the inconsistency as mistakes of a young athlete who was learning 'on the job'.

Someone needs to counsel him about this fact, there won't be any lesser expectations or critiques of him at any D1 program with Top 20 aspirations. Accept those complaints as a vocal minority and trust your coach and teammates. Leaving your team before their season is bad form. There is one game left this season Zach. One game.

If he's healthy, he should play. If he's hampered by injury or surgery, then Godspeed Zach. Thank you for putting it on the line. I sure wish you could stay as a team member and Aggie.
Liucci has confirmed shoulder surgery is what is keeping Zach out of the bowl.
alamogeorge
AG
Good luck to you, Aggie! Thanks for always leaving it all on the field. Keep working on what you gotta work on and you'll be a stud somewhere. That Alabama game, though!
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Aginnebraska
AG
74OA said:

Aginnebraska said:

AggieDub14 said:

Godspeed Zach. I was proud of the team this year and I am certain he will grow. Hopefully his experiences this year will open doors for him. More importantly I want him to be a lifetime Aggie. Maybe grad school will be an option for him. Come back home Zach when football is done.
alamogeorge
AG
harge57 said:

He will never be better than a 60% completion QB.
Tough kid. Extremely mediocre.

That's not true. Get receivers with NFL hands that can catch NFL passes and he'll be fine.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
TAMU74
AG
74OA said:

Aginnebraska said:

AggieDub14 said:

If so, then Jimbo has had to have made plans for who the QB will be in the bowl game.
Surprised this has not been made public.
He has stated on more than once that King will not play this year.
Assume Bost to start?
What's the story on Stowers as a possible?
dcg4403
AG
TAMU74 said:

MagnumLoad said:

Stay off social media. But the surgery, King and Weigman were most likely the real reasons.
Agree 1000%
1. Get the hell off of social media.
2. I posted this earlier and suspect Zack and Jimbo had a heart-to-heart discussion regarding his future at A&M playing quarterback.
3. There also could've been other factors that we don't know about that influence the decision.

Good luck Zack in your future pursuits.

This. Good luck, Zach. Keep your head down and nose off social media platforms...might help your mental health. I know I don't read that crap or take any of it seriously.
Canvasback
AG
For all those that mercilessly trashed this young man, I hope you are proud of yourselves!
Aggie_Nuke
AG
MaroonStain said:

Sterling82 said:

I would hope this decision wasn't based on mean tweets from a few idiot fans (assuming they were even fans). What reeks though, is abandoning teammates that supported him when he was struggling. I guess he wants to find a place where he can go through spring practice but this type thing is the worst of college football.

Mean tweets are the downfall of this country.

Grow up all you Nancys....... sticks and stones....

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
19Aggie88
AG
Exactly. NCAA should revise portal rules or we should change scholarship rules to minimize the knee jerk decisions these young men make.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Once an Aggie, always an Aggie. I really enjoyed watching you play and grow this past season. Best of luck in your next chapter. Gig'em.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
moldaggie
AggieDub14 said:

Especially as we think we are so classy and such good people. Wake up !!
MaroonStain
AG
The context went right over your topside.
ontheway
AG
Terrific post. Ghost nailed it. Thanks for saying it in a way I couldn't.
nu awlins ag
AG
The Agly Duckling said:

Damn. In my opinion - and I've stated this here on TexAgs many times - he has NFL potential. I almost can't believe he's leaving, unless it's because enough a-hole fans mistreated him on social media.

Bullcrap. He did not deserve to catch flak. He always did the best he could and he improved drastically over the course of the season.

Blake Bost needs everybody's support. Let's go.

The posters here and fans were relentless on him all year. I have 2 younger boys with aspirations of playing at the next level and A&M isn't even on their minds. Very sad to say the least. I've always read/been told that this site doesn't play into potential recruits factors. Wrong….
ontheway
AG
No, he declared early to get ahead of the bowl rush.
ontheway
AG
Reads like you have some familiarity with that advice.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.