Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M Regents to discuss Jimbo Fisher's contract at upcoming meeting

August 31, 2021

The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents will meet soon to discuss the contract of head football coach Jimbo Fisher. A raise and extension for Fisher are the expected focus of the conversation, and Billy Liucci is reporting Fisher’s new deal will be for another ten years at $9 million per year.

Earlier this summer, the Board of Regents dealt with Southeastern Conference expansion, with the Board ultimately authorizing Texas A&M University President M. Katherine Banks to vote in favor of admitting the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas to the league. This week’s conversation figures to revolve around matters inside the Aggie football program, specifically the man at the top.

Jimbo Fisher came to Texas A&M following the 2017 football season, signing a 10-year, $75 million contract to become the head coach of the Aggies after spending eight years leading the Florida State Seminoles. During his tenure in Tallahassee, Fisher won three conference championships and the 2013 National Championship and became regarded as one of college football’s elite head coaches.

Currently, Fisher’s annual salary of $7.5 million ranks fifth in college football behind Alabama’s Nick Saban ($9.1 million), LSU’s Ed Orgeron ($8.9 million), Clemson’s Dabo Swinney ($8.3 million) and Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh ($8.1 million). 

At the time of Fisher’s hire, many national pundits were critical, scoffing at A&M’s willingness to guarantee a football coach $75 million or suggesting Fisher was not worth the hefty total. However, since coming to Aggieland, Fisher has rapidly elevated the Texas A&M program to a College Football Playoff contender.

An elite recruiter, Fisher signed the nation’s No. 17 class in 2018, No. 4 class in 2019, No. 6 class in 2020 and No. 8 class in 2021 according to 247sports. The Aggies’ 2022 class is currently ranked inside the top ten nationally and is likely to wind up inside the top five.

On the field, Fisher guided the Aggies to a 9-4 record and a win over NC State in the Gator Bowl during his first season followed by an 8-5 campaign and Texas Bowl victory in 2019. Last season, the Aggies were 9-1 and won the program’s first-ever Orange Bowl championship, finishing inside the top-four for the first time since Texas A&M’s national championship season in 1939.

Jimbo Fisher enters year four in Aggieland with high expectations as Texas A&M opens the 2021 campaign ranked No. 6 in both the AP and Coaches preseason polls. The Aggies begin the season on Sept. 4 against Kent State at Kyle Field.

TexAgs will provide more information regarding adjustments to Fisher’s contract as it becomes available.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M Regents to discuss Jimbo Fisher's contract at upcoming meeting

21,564 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BattleAg
farwellrob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pay the man.
My Name Is Judge
Well at the current rate of inflation that raise is less than the increase in cost of living

Thanks for the bargain Jimbo
LatinAggie1997
AG
Uncle Jimbo
Okay, I'll be that guy...

Why are we doing this? I love the Jimbo hire, but this is "already won a national championship" level money and commitment. He's still got 7 years left on a ridiculously good contract. Are we at some sort of serious risk of losing him?
AAggie
Uncle Jimbo said:

Why are we doing this? I love the Jimbo hire, but this is "already won a national championship" level money and commitment. He's still got 7 years left on a ridiculously good contract. Are we at some sort of serious risk of losing him?

I'm with you. Jimbo gets everything he asks for here, now we should get something we ask for him to deliver and then we'll pay him 9.5-10 mm/yr.
Jbob04
AG
We still aren't protected in anyway. He can walk at anytime and not owe A&M a dime.
Class of 65
AG
Just remember old summy got a renegotiated contract and the bottom fell out of the bucket.
Leander - Ag
AG
Would have waited until after this season and another data point of progress
Bill Superman
AG
Great move, worth every damn penny!
tailgatetimer10
AG
Our protection is owing him 90 million PLUS showing him our commitment before anyone else.
68RebelE
AG
Are you not paying attention?? Look at the current & ongoing recruiting. We've got guys seriously looking at us that never gave us a sniff in the past.
Wanna be the next Clemson or Georgia before we become the next Alabama? Who's going to take you there ??
Pay the MAN!!! Give ever member of his staff big raise & a real nice Ford 250 from Tipton Motors.
BOMB!!!!
TShirtFan78
Buyout?
TShirtFan78
Says who?
dcg4403
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

Agreed! Love me some Fisher but has he beaten Bama? Gotten into a SEC championship game? Won the SEC Title? Been to the CFP?

He is trending to absolutely accomplish these things BUT today he has not performed to the level after only 3 complete years of a 10 year deal to deserve an extension and pay raise!!!! And a 10 year extension WTF????

This is STUPID and crazy IMO. Make Fisher 1st earn his original 10 year deal. There is no rush. I can completely understand an extension and raise after the 2023 season assuming we get into the CFP and have at least one win against Bama. At the VERY worse, he needs to prove it this year. If he gets a raise this year, this is worse than our handling of the UT/OU SEC expansion & I am going to really question the BoR.

I hate this. Makes absolutely no sense.

If we should be extending and offering a pay raise, the name needs to be MIKE ELKO.
Houstonag
AG
Pay for performance and Jimbo has done it. Make it an even 10 million per year.
AG
dcg4403 said:

Uncle Jimbo said:

Agreed! Love me some Fisher but has he beaten Bama? Gotten into a SEC championship game? Won the SEC Title? Been to the CFP?

He is trending to absolutely accomplish these things BUT today he has not performed to the level after only 3 complete years of a 10 year deal to deserve an extension and pay raise!!!! And a 10 year extension WTF????

This is STUPID and crazy IMO. Make Fisher 1st earn his original 10 year deal. There is no rush. I can completely understand an extension and raise after the 2023 season assuming we get into the CFP and have at least one win against Bama. At the VERY worse, he needs to prove it this year. If he gets a raise this year, this is worse than our handling of the UT/OU SEC expansion & I am going to really question the BoR.

Why? Are you footing the bill for his contract?

A&M can afford it and it doesn't cost you a penny.
Aggieair
4 said:

dcg4403 said:

Uncle Jimbo said:

Why? Are you footing the bill for his contract?

A&M can afford it and it doesn't cost you a penny.

Nobody here has to foot any of the bill to be able to comment that it's a premature decision, regardless of whether or not A&M can afford it.
Sponge
AG
That money isn't just coming out of thin air. It is costing someone. That much money could have been used for something much better than lining pockets.
In the real world you gotta show results to get a raise. In coaching fantasy land you are just thrown money. I wouldn't pay him a cent over contract until he at least beats Bama or wins a semi final.
dcg4403
AG
Again, Fisher has been great thus far in his very early tenure as HC. The comments about A&M having riches is fiscal ignorance. And that isn't the point. Fisher has NOT fullfilled even close to half of what is expected of him. He needs to show 10 win seasons consistently or at least a CFP every other year. Yes, he did great last year but he needs to show more. There is not enough data to support a 10 year extension and becoming the 2nd highest paid HC. Until he wins a Title, I cannot see Fisher as the #2 coach from a seasonal perfomance standpoint. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely think he can get there in just a matter of a few years.

Utterly insane if you ask me. Let him earn the contract by beating Bama and at least getting us to a CFP. That's the BARE minimum. No doubt I hope this occurs and Fisher sure is trending that way after 3 years. BUT he hasn't proven anything.....YET.
LatinAggie1997
AG
1. He is transforming our program into one of the elites through recruiting and coaching. He and being in the SEC have made us a nationally relevant.
2. OU and tu will be on our schedule soon boasting to recruits they are also SEC schools. Jimbo will be the X factor as we can no longer claim to be the only local school in the SEC
3. Saban won't be coaching forever. We show more dedication and commitment now so hopefully when Bama comes calling he says no thank you.

Pay him.
GigEmTx
Pay the man.

Pay Elko.

The two are NOT mutually exclusive.
alamogeorge
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

Inaccurate. This is a "We like the direction we've seen so far" raise. $120M over 10 will be his "Just won a Natty" raise. They're trying to get in before the cost goes up.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
greg.w.h
AG
None of you give him credit for being within a hair's breadth of a semi last year if you're worrying about the contract. He deserves $10 million if he made the semi. And it wasn't his fault we didn't get the game in against Ole Miss or BYU.

Paying him $9 per year is only a 20% uptick. And the extension is only retirement funding if we choose not to continue with him. Which is not exactly likely in the near future.

But the BoR has the final say.
TexAggie1999
greg.w.h said:

None of you give him credit for being within a hair's breadth of a semi last year if you're worrying about the contract. He deserves $10 million if he made the semi. And it wasn't his fault we didn't get the game in against Ole Miss or BYU.

Paying him $9 per year is only a 20% uptick. And the extension is only retirement funding if we choose not to continue with him. Which is not exactly likely in the near future.

Dabo made the playoffs (and has many times) and he doesn't make that much. This increase was unnecessary. If he wins a championship, then give him an increase. Extending the contract was totally unnecessary. I think we are just trying to signal we have a lot of money, but it is ignorant to waste it.
sharpdressedman
We finally have the right guy. Pay him for the progress he has made and the future he is shaping so expertly.
Pine Tree
AG
Wow, opinions from non-TMF members except 1. Step up and have some skin in the game!
Heavens_11
AG
Much as I love Aggie football this 10 yrs $90M contract extension (for 1 person) is excessive and reflects misplaced priorities by the Univ. .think about how many scholarships this money could buy to help students?

I understand the supply & demand of the free market, but I'd settle for lower football ranking in exchange for +20% increase in quality and affordability of the Univ. education over the next decade. - class of '85
northeastag
AG
Stupid is as stupid does. Our administration makes a lot of boneheaded decisions.
AgCWby90CS
AG
We got on the offensive once before when we hired Jackie and that moved us up but that's basically all we did. It served us good for the hire but not long term. We've been investing in the infrastructure in the past ten years and Coach Jimbo four years ago.

We have finally been out front and not just reacting all the time.

If we want to dominate in college football, this is exactly where we need to be, investing in the future and the future is now with Jimbo and infrastructure. Let's keep the train going and ride!
CWby '90
dcg4403
AG
TexAggie1999 said:

greg.w.h said:

Dabo made the playoffs (and has many times) and he doesn't make that much. This increase was unnecessary. If he wins a championship, then give him an increase. Extending the contract was totally unnecessary. I think we are just trying to signal we have a lot of money, but it is ignorant to waste it.

This is exactly my perspective. Dabo is the #2 coach in college behind Saban with Clemson championships to point to and mutiple CFPs. Fisher hasn't done 10% of what Dabo has at Clemson.

Deal is apparently done. I think it is so stupid and just another example of being pressured into a decision likely be a very few select people.

Thank God it was a 3 year extension. This I can live with. But I guess this means every 3 years with so-so success on the field that we give Fisher a raise....earned or not.

Fisher? Shut my hole and get us a Title in the next 3 years and you deserve the $9M a year and another raise + 3 more years. That would put you as our HC to the age of what....68 years old and nearly $100M in tenured salary.
goosespn
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

He has "already won a National Championship......"
Goose83
AG
goosespn said:

Uncle Jimbo said:

He has "already won a National Championship......"
Not for us.
GigEmTx
Heavens_11 said:

I understand the supply & demand of the free market, but I'd settle for lower football ranking in exchange for +20% increase in quality and affordability of the Univ. education over the next decade. - class of '85
I hope you understand that lowering Jimbo's salary will do nothing to improve the quality of the university or lower the cost of tuition, and that if those things were going to happen, they would happen much more readily with a college football program generating revenue hand over fist at the pinnacle of the sport rather than dumping along like we've been the past few decades.
Bryanisbest
AG
Jimbo is the greatest head football coach in A&M history. Had the highest finish in modern times. Well worth the raise. It is the right thing to do.
AngryAG
dcg4403 said:

Again, Fisher has been great thus far in his very early tenure as HC. The comments about A&M having riches is fiscal ignorance. And that isn't the point. Fisher has NOT fullfilled even close to half of what is expected of him. He needs to show 10 win seasons consistently or at least a CFP every other year. Yes, he did great last year but he needs to show more. There is not enough data to support a 10 year extension and becoming the 2nd highest paid HC. Until he wins a Title, I cannot see Fisher as the #2 coach from a seasonal perfomance standpoint. Do not get me wrong, I absolutely think he can get there in just a matter of a few years.

Utterly insane if you ask me. Let him earn the contract by beating Bama and at least getting us to a CFP. That's the BARE minimum. No doubt I hope this occurs and Fisher sure is trending that way after 3 years. BUT he hasn't proven anything.....YET.

here here, my god man! Indubitably precise.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.