Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Kellen Mond = Donovan McNabb 2.0

5,898 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by greg.w.h
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lots of buzz surrounding your friend, Kellen. Some analysts have him as high as the No. 4 QB on the draft board. What really matters is what the experts at TexAgs think, which is why I'm here.

Put it down. Kellen Mond will be the second coming of Donovan McNabb. He will eventually start in the NFL because he has the arm and work-ethic necessary to make it. He's coachable and has enough sense to keep out of trouble. He is also inconsistent, inaccurate and had a way of irritating fans with his demeanor.

When you talk to Aggie fans, it's a lot like asking an Eagles fan about McNabb. He owns all the franchise records, but never led his team to a Super Bowl. He has all-Pro tools, but no one will stick their necks out to say he's worthy of the HOF.

Quote:

Most fans probably realize that McNabb's legacy here is complicated. He has all the major franchise passing awards. He had far and away the best career of the five hotshot quarterbacks in the 1999 draft. One of the two Super Bowl appearances the franchise has ever managed. Nine playoff wins, which is a lot for a guy who critics say never came up big in the clutch. A fourth-and-26 bull's-eye to keep his team alive in a playoff game, even harder to explain away in terms of non-clutchness. He was the key player on a team that he said yesterday "came together like Voltron" in dominating the NFC East for the decade of the 2000s. Find another era in Eagles history with that much winning.

But there were the four losses in five NFC title games, and there was that maddening, plodding drive that saw the Lombardi hopes slowly trickle away. There was the thing about being so determined not to throw interceptions, receivers frequently had to scoop the ball off their shoe tops. There was his goofy, oblivious grin, charming on an up-and-coming kid, jarring and infuriating on a 30-something alleged football statesman. Air guitar in the tunnel before that last blowout loss at Dallas, the wrong tone at the wrong time. And overall, a feeling that as much as McNabb accomplished, which was a lot, there was a final corner he never turned as a mature quarterback - he could have been even better than he was, could have lasted longer.

The bottom line, though, or one big part of the bottom line, anyway, is what Lurie said yesterday: that McNabb was "a franchise-changing quarterback." Lurie acknowledged the decision to make No. 5 the ninth Eagles number retired was a complicated one, and even McNabb acknowledged it wasn't as much of a "shoo-in" as Dawkins' No. 20 was a year ago.

Source: Donovan McNabb's complicated legacy with Eagles
kbarj
AG
Interesting take. I like it.
Bill '77
VatoLocoAggie
Love this!
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
hunter2012
AG
How does the zoo respond?

Detmersdislocatedshoulder
As someone who watched both through their college careers I can tell you in my opinion mond is not Donovan mcnabb. There was a reason mcnabb was a high first round pick and there is a reason why mond isn't. Doesn't mean mond won't have a great career but that's a pretty lofty comparison. To me mond reminds me of another Philly qb. Nick foles.

I am not hating on mond but mcnabb was a stud
Agsuffering@bulaw
I hope Mond succeeds. I doubt he gets anywhere near McNabb, but would gladly eat these words someday.

Both have/had brains unable to maximize physical potential. McNabb was a sandwich short of the HOF. He was a regular pro-bowler. McNabb was the #2 overall pick and had plenty of physical talent to fall back on.

I just dont think Mond has as much raw ability. Would not be surprised if Mond starts for a few seasons. He is coachable and limits interceptions. I just dont think he has the brainpower. He is not good at reading defenses, especially post-snap. I think that gets exposed in the pros.

ETA: I mean I dont think he has the mental game to win a superbowl.
Whatthefunyo
When I look at a QB like Dak Prescott in the college days, it's obvious the dude has whatever "it" is, no matter what his draft status is. If Mond gets taken any higher than round 3-4, it's a stretch IMO. In the NFL you need a deep ball and pinpoint accuracy. Unfortunately neither of these are his specialties. NFL teams thrive off exploiting weaknesses and matchups since the talent is relatively the same across the league. They will figure out Mond's real quick.

IMO Sam Howell from UNC would have a better shot at being an NFL QB.
buppy
All credit goes to Reese's peanut butter cups. You the real MVP.
jrbaggie
OP is obviously eating snickers bar. Nope, ain't happening !
Agsuffering@bulaw
This is so true. Dak looked with it, even when his teams lost. Mond just appears to play slow, even when we won.
caverduc
Hate the Eagles but pretty sure McNabb went to the Super Bowl
jr15aggie
AG
From his Soph year to his Senior year he was pretty much the same guy. Hardly any progression in the guys game while he was here.

If I'm a GM I have no reason to believe he will be able to make the leap. I don't see him being one of the top 100 players drafted.
SA-AG72
AG
Does he have the nads to lead a team of professionals? His introverted ways say no so it'll be interesting to monitor his progress.
offenseguru
AG
There's a lot to like about Kellen.

But there's just something about the multiple points of breakdown that occur at different times in different areas of his kinetic chain in his throwing motion. One time is feet, another hips, and often times it's a hitch in his arm motion or release. I've never quite understood what his throwing "feel" truly is.
Showstopper
AG
Whatthefunyo said:

When I look at a QB like Dak Prescott in the college days, it's obvious the dude has whatever "it" is, no matter what his draft status is. If Mond gets taken any higher than round 3-4, it's a stretch IMO. In the NFL you need a deep ball and pinpoint accuracy. Unfortunately neither of these are his specialties. NFL teams thrive off exploiting weaknesses and matchups since the talent is relatively the same across the league. They will figure out Mond's real quick.

IMO Sam Howell from UNC would have a better shot at being an NFL QB.
if we go by OP's definition Dak doesn't have "it" either because he had stats but no Super Bowl. Right now he's Tony Romo II.
My Name Is Judge
I don't see it but I've been wrong before

I think Mond is a lot like Mitch tribusky...

Above average athletic talent, average arm strength, & below average accuracy

Every now & again you'll see a wow play or a complete game & wonder why it isn't consistent...
Al Bula
AG
Lmfao. I highly doubt Mond can be a six-time pro bowler, play in five league champions AND play in a super bowl.
ccatag
AG
McNabb had a great deal of physicality to his game. He took a lot of hits and delivered quite a bit of it, as well.

I don't see a similarity of Mond to McNabb.
maroonthrunthru
The passing windows are incredibly tight in the NFL... Which means his incredible inaccuracy may work in his favor !!!
SilverTongueDevil
Mcnabb was an outstanding NFL qb who just couldn't get his team over the hump and get a ring. He was fortunate to have Andy Reid and a lot of talent around him.

I don't see Mond getting to that level. I honestly don't see Mond ever being a #1 NFL Qb
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
Texas Rooster
Mond won't amount to anything in the nfl. And y'all know this!
ashley
You almost never see a good quarterback that stiff and mechanical. Fisher never got that short lead step out of him. That's one of the reasons he threw high a lot.
ashley
ashley said:

You almost never see a good quarterback thats stiff and mechanical. Fisher never got that short lead step out of him. That's one of the reasons he threw high a lot.
Win At Life
AG
Mond's cool demeanor that infuriated a lot of Aggies as perceived indifference will play much better in the NFL as a "professional" appearance. Combine that his other positives and improvement on his weaknesses (which happened his senior year) and he might have a decent NFL career.
BusterAg
AG
It is almost impossible to predict which players will make that transition from college ball to the NFL successfully.

There are a lot of burn outs, a lot of amazing surprises, and a few that were highly regarded that met expectations.

Tom Brady was selected in the 6th round. Surprise

Ryan Leaf was the second overall pick. Bust

Payton Manning was the first overall pick. Seems legit.

I hope Mond has a great career.
12thMan9
AG
Shined?

52% completion rate, against the base defense they ran in the Senior Bowl. No blitzing, 3/4 or 4/3, simple cover 2 or 3 zone D.

He made some nice throws, good for him. He may have a chance to hold a clipboard for a few years. What QB in the NFL can he replace in the next 5 years?
Ronnie '88
TheWoodsAg
AG
Showstopper said:

if we go by OP's definition Dak doesn't have "it" either because he had stats but no Super Bowl. Right now he's Tony Romo II.
It's almost like Dallas' problem the last decade and a half is the front office and not the QB position.......
infinity ag
Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Mond

He was pretty bad for 3 years and was decent in year 4. Looks like he will be a late rounder in the draft or may get hired after the draft. He does seem to be much much more mature than JFF which is itself a big thing for long term success. Not as talented but if he works hard, he can make something out of it.

He is no Donovan McNabb.
PooDoo
AG
Mond has played a lot of snaps at a very high level.

He seems like he's smart enough, works hard enough, and wants it.

Just like a lot of young QBs if he gets into a good organization he could have a very long career.

But Mond and McNabb are nothing alike as QB's or athletes.

McNabb was elite. SU's version of JFF.
PatAg
AG
Mond can make any throw if his pre-snap read is open and the pocket is clean.

Anything different, and it's likely to not be completed
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
It looks like Kellen Mond will be drafted in the 3rd round or later or signed as an undrafted free agent, but he appears to be more mature than Johnny Manziel. That maturity will be crucial for long term success, especially at the NFL level. Still, Kellen Mond is no Donovan McNabb.
FarmerJohn
AG
McNabb carried Syracuse to three straight Big East titles (one shared). He was the obvious star. We won games with Mond. I guess you can say he won the LSU OT game and he carried us against UT this year. McNabb is a pretty lofty comparison.
Bunk Moreland
infinity ag said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with Mond

He was pretty bad for 3 years and was decent in year 4.

This is an awful take. At least attempt to be objective to cover up the blind hate.
Bunk Moreland
Separately, not sure I agree with the Mcnabb comparison...for a couple different reasons.
greg.w.h
AG
Meh. Bad comparison looks for negatives on both QBs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.