Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Cade Klubnik offered

30,048 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
rljtamu said:

northeastag said:

GoldenGun00 said:

4 said:

Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

I am an Aggie who does not live in Texas but I don't want my son to go to A&M for engineering, I want him to go to one of the Top 3 schools. Do you see a problem with my line of thinking? A&M Engg is very good, but there are schools even better than what A&M provides.
The odds of your children going to a Top 3 engineering school are minimal so you should probably set your sites a bit wider.

Out of curiosity, what are the top 3?

Obviously, MIT is probably #1.

The top 3 is debatable, but I'd probably go with MIT, Caltech, and Stanford. Others would work Cal, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Georgia Tech, etc. into one of those spots.

A&M would fall into the 10-15 range overall in engineering, which puts it above a lot of great universities. In some specific areas like petroleum or nuclear engineering, A&M would be in the top 2 or 3.
I'm semi-retired now, but BSME from TAMU. While parents always want their kids to go to the "best" school possible, in my long career working with graduates from all levels of schools, it almost never mattters. The material learned at the undergraduate level is practically the same, and the difference in career outcome is based almost solely on the other (sometimes soft) skills of the individual. As a wise college counselor once told me, the kids that go to state schools very often end up owning the companies that's employ the graduates from the elite.
Without good communication skills

Wait a minute. We are still talking about engineers here, right?
AggieDruggist89
AG
For y'all engineering chest thumpers... Can you go here and continue?

https://texags.com/forums/17/topics/3137721/last#last

I want to hear about this QB kid and hope his dad and uncle come back and post...
infinity ag
BAS65 said:

infinity ag said:

BuckshotJ said:

In my opinion (after 37 years on the engineering faculty at A&M), there is no better place to get an undergraduate degree in engineering and prepare to be a leader in the profession.

SOME other programs may still have stronger graduate programs, but A&M provides superior preparation. The "other education" is a factor.

Will be glad to discuss further if desired.

Best regards.

Thank you for your reply. You have your opinion and I respect that, but I have mine as well.
I have a Masters degree in Engineering from Texas A&M. Spent so many hours in Zachry (old one) in the Sun lab, the "Crystal lab" (main level where they had the PCs near the stairs).

A&M prepared me well for my career, but I think it would be overreaching to think that A&M is the only place for that. I can think of several better Engg schools with much better location as well - MIT, CalTech, Stanford, Berkeley, CMU, Cornell etc.

Who remembers this? This photo used to be on Zach website even in the mid 90s.

I graduated and spent 40 years in E & C (after 4 years in the military) reaching the level of VP in two Engineering companies in Houston. What makes you think you are doing your children a big favor to sending to schools like Stanford. The Petroleum Industry as well as the supporting E @ C firms are loaded with A @ M grads. I interviewed and hired hundreds of A & M graduates. I would never hire one from Stanford, or the Brainy schools of the North East. They do not have their feet grounded to get the job done.

These arguments have no clearcut and definitive solution. It's a personal preference. You are right in what you say above, but I am right as well.

PS: Making assumptions that someone from XYZ school "is not grounded" and not hiring them solely because of that makes me wonder about your judgement since you say you have been in the workforce for almost half a century and also a VP. It's one thing to hate on schools like UT like we do here but in reality I hope you are more fair in your dealings. I know many jerks from A&M and I know many nice people from UT Austin. Same with any other school.
infinity ag
WallyWonka said:

infinity ag said:

BuckshotJ said:

In my opinion (after 37 years on the engineering faculty at A&M), there is no better place to get an undergraduate degree in engineering and prepare to be a leader in the profession.

SOME other programs may still have stronger graduate programs, but A&M provides superior preparation. The "other education" is a factor.

Will be glad to discuss further if desired.

Best regards.

Thank you for your reply. You have your opinion and I respect that, but I have mine as well.
I have a Masters degree in Engineering from Texas A&M. Spent so many hours in Zachry (old one) in the Sun lab, the "Crystal lab" (main level where they had the PCs near the stairs).

A&M prepared me well for my career, but I think it would be overreaching to think that A&M is the only place for that. I can think of several better Engg schools with much better location as well - MIT, CalTech, Stanford, Berkeley, CMU, Cornell etc.

Who remembers this? This photo used to be on Zach website even in the mid 90s.

Maybe your opinion would be different if you'd have earned your undergrad from TAMU.

I do realize there are other great schools. Further, I do realize the degree you walk away with when graduating from TAMU (or any other school) is only as good as what you have put into it.

You may be right. I was at A&M for grad school. I did another grad degree in a different state after my first grad degree at A&M.
That said, my personal loyalty is to A&M. My wife asks me why I have A&M license plates on my car and walk around with an A&M hoodie when I have another more glamorous name on my resume. My identity in my mind is more closely linked to A&M.
AggieDruggist89
AG

Now can we get back to football?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.