Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Any old Ags have some input on this clip from 1963 tu

7,371 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by thejavelina
BOZO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for posting, remember it well. Didn't the President give the students the next Monday off too ?
zephyr88
AG
Harry Lime said:

Charlie 31 said:

Sheesh, looks like he's calling in a relief pitcher.
He's a bit "handsy" there, don't you think?
TxAgswin
AG
My Dad is class of 65. He refuses to talk about that game.
a67ggie
AG
I was a fish standing at the top of the student section looking straight down the end line. Willenberg was in possession of the ball in the end zone before crossing the end line. The closest officials hesitated in making the call. There was a man in a tan overcoat standing beyond the end line and he started waving in incomplete. The referee (Curly Hays) was still in the tu backfield. When he liked downfield he signaled incomplete. Then the downfield refs then followed his lead.
The next play was a pass that was ruled complete on the east sideline just outside the goal line. From where I was it looked like the tu receiver was going down or on a knee with a foot on the sideline line. I think tu scored on the next play. I never saw the film on that sideline play and am still curious about it
a67ggie
Stone44
AG
AgPops said:

The man in the overcoat is Bill Little the former SID for tu.
He's a worthless pile of blubber. This guy had no spine. The next day in the Dallas Morning News there was a photograph showing our player with both feet in bounds in control of the ball with the caption "out of bounds?". The back judge who ruled him out of bounds was a tu graduate. Back in those days about half of all SWC officials were tu graduates. Total bs then and now. Bill Little reminds me of something my dad used to say: Never trust anyone whose a$$ is broader than his shoulders.
Old Sarge
AG
This thread serves as a plethora of reminders as to why you never want to be in a conference with the $ips. Ever. It is bad enough if you play them from out of conference, but if you are in the same one, the cards are not dealt evenly. The idea of a level playing field is not a concept the $ips comprehend.

If they ever try to get in the SEC, we need to fight this tooth and nail, and I believe the SEC understands this.
Green is the new RED.
iamtheglove

This is the actual ball that we intercepted in that game. Got it from Ron Carpenter many years ago who was one of our receivers in 1963. He snatched it from a tu player right after the game and ended up getting a bunch of our players to sign the ball for him.
MidTnAg
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

The story I heard in the late 1990s from an Aggie who was at the 1963 game, which until now I had never seen this video clip from. I had only heard descriptions of.
The Aggie said a few years later he met the Ref that called the interception out of bounds.
When the Aggie asked something like "So was he out of bounds?" and the ref replied, "He had to be or the Longhorns would not win the National Championship"
I don't believe that at all.
MidTnAg
AG
oldfart79 said:

aggs left the water hose on the field all night. pissed dkr off so much
Not true, If we wanted to flood the field, we would have flooded the entire field not just one small part of it.
Anyway, what would we gain by flooding a part of the field?
In those days, Kyle Field was open for anyone to visit 24 hours a day.
MidTnAg
AG
That was my senior year. Occasionally when there is an official review of a football game and there are several cameras showing replays from so many different angles, I think back to what could of and should have been.

Later, Foldberg had about 4 pictures printed across the top of the Battalion showing the sequence of Jim's catch and falling in bounds.

Note that the refs are not signaling that he did not catch the ball. The two refs ruled the pass was incomplete because after Jim caught the ball, he fell out of bounds. I knew Jim fairly well and later purchased his golfing bag and clubs. Although I know some probably did, I never heard anyone discuss or mention the failed lateral attempt with him.

We had a Go Navy Go Roger New Year's Eve Party in Dallas. Lost that game also.
At least we were SWC Champions in basketball and baseball our senior year.

Although this was a sad day for all Ags, I was extremely fortunate to be a graduate student in 1967 and was at 67 A&M-sip game. Thank you Edd Hargett, Bob Long, Tommy Buckman, Wendell Housley, etc.

These posts were incredible. Thank you so much. I did not know these films existed. In my failing years, I appreciate anyone speaking about the interception that wasn't.
Shoefly!
AG
These posts are just one reason I surely enjoy these Texag threads.
Deke
AG
I was a Piss Head standing in the stands and could clearly see the end line.It was catch ! tu can go to hell.
rickrickman
AG
I was there. It was intercepted. Brotherton was devastated after the game. The offense was playing well that day because they were calling the plays from the field and ignoring Foldberg.
zephyr88
AG
Just had breakfast with my dad, class of '64. He was there and still remembers the CATCH as one of the most exciting football moments during his time at A&M. He also remembers the burning desire to beat the hell out of the refs who were clearly in on the fix that day.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
MidTnAg said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

The story I heard in the late 1990s from an Aggie who was at the 1963 game, which until now I had never seen this video clip from. I had only heard descriptions of.
The Aggie said a few years later he met the Ref that called the interception out of bounds.
When the Aggie asked something like "So was he out of bounds?" and the ref replied, "He had to be or the Longhorns would not win the National Championship"
I don't believe that at all.
I wasn't at the game, the old Ag was and he told me his story.
As best as I can recollect that is what he said that he heard from the ref.
Now was he telling me "The Story" or "A Story", I don't know; I wasn't there
alamoaggie64
AG
" I remember I selfishly was upset that the Corps decided not to burn the Bonfire as a way of paying respect to JFK."

That was not the Corps but General Rudder who made that call. He called some senior leaders into his office on Friday afternoon. One of them was Mike Marlow, Head Yell leader. He said that we needed to cancel, and said, "Marlow, tell the troops." The center pole was up and stayed up. We had Yell Practice around the center pole.

That Saturday was the first day of the Big Push. The plan was we would work the next four days and burn it Wednesday night.

It was the right decision by General Rudder. It was either in 1993 or1994 that the senior class invited our class back to eat at Duncan and be their guests at Bonfire. We fell in behind the band and marched to Bonfire. A very memorable night! Sorry that I can't recall the correct year.
alamoaggie64
alamoaggie64
AG
"Just had breakfast with my dad, class of '64. He was there and still remembers the CATCH as one of the most exciting football moments during his time at A&M. He also remembers the burning desire to beat the hell out of the refs who were clearly in on the fix that day."

'64--your dad is obviously a well-educated person. That was an exciting moment. The whole afternoon was until that ref took it away from us. I don't believe the statement about that ref in one of the statements above about declaring that longhorns needed the NC. It was a bad call but I don't think the ref was crooked. I have heard statements Ags have made about that ref being a very fine individual. just not worth a crap as an official!
alamoaggie64
alamoaggie64
AG
The whole year had been exciting in spite of having a dismal record. A&M students had stolen five mascots--Tech, TCU, SMU, Rice, and tu. Bevo was stolen the week of the Rice game. That is probably the most memorable week of my senior year. I guess the silver sips came to get him about Wednesday or Thursday.

On Friday we left for Houston and Corps Trip. We upset Rice. Yes, it was a big upset at the time! While Corps was in Houston, sips came in and painted UT on 50-yard line. That just added fuel to the fire. We were sky high for the game. '40 team came to visit team during the week. Campus was excited.

We took an early lead and then got another score at beginning of 2nd half. It just took one person's bad decision to bring it all down at the end.

Jim Keller '63, George Hargett and Travis Reagan '64, etc. all had great games. The entire team left it all on the field.

The excitement carried over to the rest of the year. Shelby Metcalf won the BB championship in his first year as coach and Tom Chandler's team won baseball championship.
alamoaggie64
ABATTBQ87
AG
MidTnAg said:

That was my senior year. Occasionally when there is an official review of a football game and there are several cameras showing replays from so many different angles, I think back to what could of and should have been.

Later, Foldberg had about 4 pictures printed across the top of the Battalion showing the sequence of Jim's catch and falling in bounds.
alamoaggie64
AG
Referring to that page from the Aggieland in previous post--that was first year A&M had hauled out the Hositzer. Brought it in and placed it next to tu toy cannon. No one believed that we would fire it. Fogged out Kyle Field for a few minutes when we did. Mark Jackson '64, recently deceased, was the brain behind that. As I said earler, the whole afternoon was something like I have not witnessed since at Kyle Field.
alamoaggie64
alamoaggie64
AG

"This is the actual ball that we intercepted in that game. Got it from Ron Carpenter many years ago who was one of our receivers in 1963. He snatched it from a tu player right after the game and ended up getting a bunch of our players to sign the ball for him

Good mention about Ron. He went out to get the ball and tu guy (maybe McWilliams) had it. Ron grabbed it and said, "It's our ball. We furnished it and we're keeping it.
alamoaggie64
AggieLit
ABATTBQ87 said:

MidTnAg said:

Interesting things on that page. On the bottom is an article about the sons of the policeman that Oswald killed in Dallas. Kids who had worse things on their minds than the Aggies losing.

This is I guess one of the games where BAS was born, along with the 1940 game.
94chem
alamoaggie64 said:

" I remember I selfishly was upset that the Corps decided not to burn the Bonfire as a way of paying respect to JFK."

That was not the Corps but General Rudder who made that call. He called some senior leaders into his office on Friday afternoon. One of them was Mike Marlow, Head Yell leader. He said that we needed to cancel, and said, "Marlow, tell the troops." The center pole was up and stayed up. We had Yell Practice around the center pole.

That Saturday was the first day of the Big Push. The plan was we would work the next four days and burn it Wednesday night.

It was the right decision by General Rudder. It was either in 1993 or1994 that the senior class invited our class back to eat at Duncan and be their guests at Bonfire. We fell in behind the band and marched to Bonfire. A very memorable night! Sorry that I can't recall the correct year.

It was the class of '94. However, we invited the wrong class. We should have invited the class of '67, but a bunch of folks seemed to forget that it's the freshman bonfire.
94chem
Quote:

Foldberg said later, "[The controversial interception call] was the greatest injustice to a group of young fellows I've ever seen."

Well, either that or Viet Nam. But who can really say for sure?
alamoaggie64
AG
"Well, either that or Viet Nam. But who can really say for sure?"

Well, we had a number of guys pay the price both places.
alamoaggie64
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
MidTnAg said:

Note that the refs are not signaling that he did not catch the ball. The two refs ruled the pass was incomplete because after Jim caught the ball, he fell out of bounds. I knew Jim fairly well and later purchased his golfing bag and clubs. Although I know some probably did, I never heard anyone discuss or mention the failed lateral attempt with him.

We had a Go Navy Go Roger New Year's Eve Party in Dallas. Lost that game also.
At least we were SWC Champions in basketball and baseball our senior year.

Although this was a sad day for all Ags, I was extremely fortunate to be a graduate student in 1967 and was at 67 A&M-sip game. Thank you Edd Hargett, Bob Long, Tommy Buckman, Wendell Housley, etc.

These posts were incredible. Thank you so much. I did not know these films existed. In my failing years, I appreciate anyone speaking about the interception that wasn't.
So, did you discus the whether the interception was in bounds ?
Class of 65
AG
I was at the game. Worst call before and after. Well born still had a chance when he intercepted and made his famous lateral.
OldArmy71
AG
That was John Brotherton who intercepted the ball and tried to lateral it.
thejavelina
My dad (class of 64) was at that game. He said he saw the play clearly and it was an obvious interception. He would still get upset about it 50 years later. No doubt it was a reason (among many) he wholeheartedly supported the Ags move to the SEC and cessation of the tu game.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.