Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What was it like watching Bucky Richardson play?

10,404 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by GSPag`
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bucky was a fan favorite for many reasons. A couple of things that really stand out:

he was great in bowl games. The aforementioned 1990 Holiday Bowl and the 1987 Cotton Bowl (1/1/88). His terrific performances were appreciated more and more as A&M struggled mightily in bowls in the 90's and 00's.

he was a major figure in the 10 of 11 stretch vs. the longhorns. Winning the 87 game with the QB keeper at Kyle. Running all over the horns in the 88 game before getting injured. And beating the sips again in the 1991 game.

one of his best plays was an electric 32-yard TD run late in the 4th quarter in Austin in the 1990 game. Those are the kind of plays...the fanbase never forgets

AgOutsideAustin
AG
'88 here, uh yeah I watched him play.
rootube
AG
OP. He was very good but not in the same league as Johnny. For example he was not nearly the best player on our own team when you consider our defense in those days. Johnny was the best in the country in 2012 and probably '13 and it wasn't even close.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex
aggie813
I've been watching Aggie QBs since the early 80s and Bucky is by far my favorite.
He was awesome to watch. He was gritty, gutty and didn't make excuses.
Sq 17
my only regret was Bucky thinking he was an NFL Qb , should have gone to Canada. Flutie & Moon both started in Canada and worked their way to the NFL
aggiebrad94
AG
In '91 we beat a highly ranked Baylor team in Waco. We were up so much at the half that the Baylor stands looked as empty as a 7th grade b team game. Bucky ran and passed at will on them. When Grant Teaff came into the post game interview, his first words were, "Bucky for Heisman, Bucky for Heisman."

I think Bucky finished 10th in the voting that year.
ME85
AG
Bucky is bucky...from when he played, no one like him until Johnny in term as of fire and will to win. He got much better as a passer as the years went on. You always knew you had a chance with him leading the offense. At the top of our all time favorites. He never hesitated, he acted.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
When I saw this true freshman QB in '87 take the ball on 4th down against sippy in a tie game with time running out, and he cut up inside and ran right into the end zone to win the game 20-13, I knew that kid was going to be a good one. Approx. 4:30 mark of the video.

I later read a description of Bucky that he was a linebacker playing QB. Johnny was reminiscent of Bucky in a lot of ways, but yeah, Bucky couldn't really throw the ball. He didn't need to. He would just run someone over. And failing that, he had the Wrecking Crew in its heyday to back him up. Bucky remains my favorite QB to wear an A&M uniform.
rokshox
AG
Great thread OP! Brings back some great memories of my underclass years.
Eric Forman
AG
Watching Bucky was like watching wrought iron throwing a football. The guy was a natural on-field leader and one of the toughest QBs I've ever seen play the game. He will always be one of my absolute favorite Aggie football players.
randy828
AG
Some Bucky NFL highlights 1994 at the 13:30 and 16:30 marks.

I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
CEA
AG
I was at A&M back in the Bucky days.....Every time I think our defense is showing signs of the old "Wrecking Crew", I see highlights like the BYU game and realize how big the gap actually is. I remember watching those games and preferring the defense being on the field because they were so fun to watch.
oldfart79
i just remember the chant, bucky bucky bucky
oldfart79
Spyderman
AG
Fun
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
alamoaggie64
AG
Whatever the score, we had faith in Bucky.
alamoaggie64
nu awlins ag
AG
CEA said:

I was at A&M back in the Bucky days.....Every time I think our defense is showing signs of the old "Wrecking Crew", I see highlights like the BYU game and realize how big the gap actually is. I remember watching those games and preferring the defense being on the field because they were so fun to watch.

In the words of David Lee Roth, those were "damn good times."
SinKiller
Gamer. Wasn't afraid of, and hated, the sips...He didn't pee down his leg at the sight of burnt orange. I'm 6' 2", Bucky is there with me or a bit above. If you see Bucky in the Zone Club, or around Kyle, he's a big dude.
AGHouston11
AG
agent-maroon said:

1990 Holiday Bowl highlights. Wrecking Crew to start, then Bucky offensive highlights beginning at about the 2:30 mark.

Anybody that thought Bucky couldn't pass should watch this and reconsider their lives.

What a stud! Great to watch that. Back when a QB wanted to kick a$$ and win football games! Not worrying about statues, defunding the Corp, and being the next SJW Kapernick!
aeon-ag
TexasAggie2023 said:

I wish I could've seen him play in person instead of on YouTube. Johnny was unbelievable but it seems like Bucky holds a special place in Aggies' hearts.
If you liked seeing a player with the desire to score everytime he took a snap from center, that was Bucky!
NE PA Ag
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

When I saw this true freshman QB in '87 take the ball on 4th down against sippy in a tie game with time running out, and he cut up inside and ran right into the end zone to win the game 20-13, I knew that kid was going to be a good one. Approx. 4:30 mark of the video.

I later read a description of Bucky that he was a linebacker playing QB. Johnny was reminiscent of Bucky in a lot of ways, but yeah, Bucky couldn't really throw the ball. He didn't need to. He would just run someone over. And failing that, he had the Wrecking Crew in its heyday to back him up. Bucky remains my favorite QB to wear an A&M uniform.

Thanks for posting the video, my last game at Kyle as an undergrad. Can someone help me understand why they would show yell practice in Kyle at the beginning of the video and not Bonfire?
12th Man Ag
AG
91_Aggie said:

It was awesome /Chris Farley

I do not remember the game, but he had a long run along the sideline and a DB angle on him and Bucky kind of made that move a runner does along the sideline like he is going to step out of bounds to avoid a hit. As he did that, the DB let up as well, and then Bucky turned back inside directly at the DB, lowered his shoulder and drove the DB about 5 more yards before being tackled.

You, however, did not want Bucky to pass the ball

LOL! I intercepted one of Bucky's passes in practice because he stared down the receiver for 3 seconds and afterwards, Mike Sherman ripped into me, questioned my manhood and whether I should have even been born. I never touched another ball thrown by Bucky. He was nails on the field. I don't think there was anyone that didn't love the guy. A freak injury against Tulsa in '91 is the only reason we didn't roll into the Cotton Bowl #1 and un-defeated.
halfastros81
AG
He was like Super Mario.
Cardswin5
Imagine that "Johnny" type of excitement with his creativity and then add the option to Darren Lewis (5000yrds as an Aggie), led but the beast that is Robert Wilson at FB and all behind pulling tackle of the greatness that is Richmond Webb!!

UNSTOPPABLE!!
culdeus
AG
I've never watched a player I felt like could actually get killed in action. His disregard for his own body was amazing and horrifying at times.
C2 Ag 93
Only QB I've seen that was more like a hard-nosed running back... who could throw sometimes...
dixichkn
AG
Dude was an absolute beast and everybody loved him but yeah, when he dropped back to pass there was a noticeable quiet 3 or 4 seconds as everybody was holding their breath. Amazing watching him throw after a year or two with the Oilers......"damn, this guy actually CAN throw. Where'd that come from?"

I'd rate Johnny higher but Bucky wasn't far behind.
Randall Floyd
Bucky was more folklore than anything...He was a top 25 QB, but not a top 5 or 10. He had a great OL and RB's allowing him to do well running, but his passing sucked.

He was a winner, had the "it factor", but certainly nothing great.
camelclub
AG
i was on the practice squad in 89-91 and once he purposely sat on my face at the bottom of a pile. i didnt want to wash my face for a week afterwards
cornerpost
Turn to your friends several times a game and say - "Buckey got Balls!" after a he hits someone...
W
AG
have to disagree. I believe he was 24-6 as a starter.

Chris Osgood, Lance Pavlas, and Craig Stump played with those same RB's and o-line...and did not get the same results.

Bucky won a ton of big games in which he was a big reason the Ags won.

check the resume...

- Holiday Bowl and Cotton Bowl
- 3 wins over t.u.
- 2 wins over Arkansas...including in Fayetteville to snap a 14-year losing streak in the Ozarks
- 3 wins over Tech...including one in Lubbock
- 1 win over LSU
- the 1991 showdown in Waco
Brandamne
Bucky was Stone Cold Steve Austin at QB. The meanest Qb to ever lace em up ! Dude was looking for contact and the Defenses were like oh F here he comes.
Artorias
AG
Bucky had the same bulldog/competitive spirit that McGee had, but on a better team and with a better coach.
Mark Fairchild
AG
AMAZING!! The Man was a true leader, you could watch him put the team on his shoulders and march downfield.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
GSPag`
TellMeMore said:

For those who saw them both in person there was a common thread: you NEVER thought A&M would lose. You didn't know how it would happen, but you were shocked if it did. (Sigh). I miss the feeling.

This is it. When Bucky or Johnny were on the field you knew anything was possible. Great leaders on the field.

And Robert Wilson and Darren Lewis in the backfield did not hurt either.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.